Does NOONE else find it odd that all the MAJOR NEGATIVE unverifiable events are coming from BGR.

Its always from an anonymous source, always verified. Guess what, i heard from an authorized anonymous source (who's identity and credentials and credibility i have verified) that BGR is MAKING ALL THIS STUFF UP. I can understand they have their alliances, but what theyre doing is ridiculous.
    06-30-11 02:24 PM
    You say "playbook owners aren't worried about apps" yet you fail to equate poor sales to a poor app eco system? And I'm dimwitted? Naturally

On my phone I could care less about apps, I'm in the minority as marketshare and sales figures show, but I could personally care less. I'm also smart enough to realize that regardless of my personal opinion that I am in the minority! Grow up and smell the roses!

The only reason I use a bb is because I've yet to use the device that handles notifications better (if RIM don't release some new devices pretty soon I might have to rethink my usage), for me that is the priority. On a tablet however apps are the only reason to own one and they are what drives sales!. Again, the sales numbers don't lie, the best sellers have a large app ecosystem. You might not see it and you may also think that 100% of tablet/playbook buyers are identical to you but I'm afraid that you are ignorant.

Last edited by xandermac; 06-30-11 at 02:29 PM.
    06-30-11 02:25 PM
    You say "playbook owners aren't worried about apps" yet you fail to equate poor sales to a poor app eco system? And I'm dimwitted? Naturally

On my phone I could care less about apps, I'm in the minority as marketshare and sales figures show, but I could personally care less. I'm also smart enough to realize that regardless of my personal opinion that I am in the minority! Grow up and smell the roses!

The only reason I use a bb is because I've yet to use the device that handles notifications better (if RIM don't release some new devices pretty soon I might have to rethink my usage), for me that is the priority. On a tablet however apps are the only reason to own one and they are what drives sales!. Again, the numbers don't lie. You might not see it and you may also think that 100% of tablet/playbook buyers are identical to you but I'm afraid that you are ignorant.
    Perception never is reality.

You clearly still haven't learned that - you bought the playbook based on playbook's marketing. And ever since you've been angry, clearly, because you're still here talking about a playbook you once owned - about a letter that should be discussed in general forums.

You still have only glazed over what I said. ...- I said RIM's priority is getting a larger market. You return with anecdotal and weak evidence.

Again, RIM needs to get more playbooks in consumer hands in order to attract more 3rd party developers. This is what EVERYONE with any business sense knows true. Technology platforms like tablets, gaming consoles, and phones thrive on micro-transactions. The larger the market, the more product gets sold - not the other way around. That is called over-saturation. You want more demand (more playbooks sold) to attract more merchants (developers) to sell more product (apps). Clear enough? Whats the point of 60,000 apps when you're market is only perhaps 500,000 large?

And you'd know that about 50,000 of those are not even worth a second look.
    06-30-11 02:36 PM
    I'd rather have 50 worthwhile apps than 50 worthwhile apps and 1 million useless ones.
    Except everyone has their own opinion on what makes an app worthwhile. Theirs maybe 50 that are totally different from yours.
    06-30-11 02:39 PM
    If rim were 1st to market I might agree with you but when their competetion already both have thriving market places up & running I think you're looking at it backwards. Even rim are realizing this hence their pust to attratct developers. Air, flash, java, android player, ndk. If apps aren't important they wouldn't bother. Thank god you don't operate rim. They know damn well they need the apps to move the devices. That's the only game in town in 2011.

You clearly still haven't learned that - you bought the playbook based on playbook's marketing. And ever since you've been angry, clearly, because you're still here talking about a playbook you once owned - about a letter that should be discussed in general forums.

You still have only glazed over what I said. To say it again - because you truly are dimwitted - I said RIM's priority is getting a larger market. You return with anecdotal and weak evidence.

Again, RIM needs to get more playbooks in consumer hands in order to attract more 3rd party developers. This is what EVERYONE with any business sense knows true. Technology platforms like tablets, gaming consoles, and phones thrive on micro-transactions. The larger the market, the more product gets sold - not the other way around. That is called over-saturation. You want more demand (more playbooks sold) to attract more merchants (developers) to sell more product (apps). Clear enough? Whats the point of 60,000 apps when you're market is only perhaps 500,000 large?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-30-11 at 02:44 PM.
    06-30-11 02:42 PM

You still have only glazed over what I said. To say it again - because you truly are dimwitted - I said RIM's priority is getting a larger market. You return with anecdotal and weak evidence.

The reason the iPad sold is because all of the apps already available for the iPhone and iPod Touch work on the iPad. Had the iPad been introduced, but it had few apps, nobody would have bought it.

RIM should have upgraded the SDK for developers prior to introducing the Playbook to market. As it is now, it is a better piece of hardware than the iPad, but it does not do enough to make consumers want to buy it. They want something they can use now, not in 6 months.
    raremage likes this.
    06-30-11 02:43 PM
    Whats the point of 60,000 apps when you're market is only perhaps 500,000 large?
    There is no point, which is why developers are ignoring the PlayBook. The question is whether RIM can move enough units anyway. If they can, maybe developers will come.
    06-30-11 02:45 PM
    Which is exactly why the letter is correct. Developers get to make or break rim. I'm pretty sure rim knows this hence all the new development paths available. Will it be enough.... Probably not at this late date.
    There is no point, which is why developers are ignoring the PlayBook. The question is whether RIM can move enough units anyway. If they can, maybe developers will come.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-30-11 at 02:51 PM.
    06-30-11 02:49 PM
    Does NOONE else find it odd that all the MAJOR NEGATIVE unverifiable events are coming from BGR.

Its always from an anonymous source, always verified. Guess what, i heard from an authorized anonymous source (who's identity and credentials and credibility i have verified) that BGR is MAKING ALL THIS STUFF UP. I can understand they have their alliances, but what theyre doing is ridiculous.
    i hate to tell ya buddy but you are now on the wrong side of the fence.

Events at rim for the past two years have been building up to this and this letter is too accurate to be just a figment of a rim haters imagination. It is spreading like wildfire too to other sites and publications. Hopefully now the fanbois will start seeing that they have been shaking pom poms and cheering a false cause. Get on board now by ooening your eyes and see that rim is in dire trouble.

this os hasnt budged in two months. it should have been almost finished by now. something is bad wrong with that picture!

K Bear likes this.
    06-30-11 02:51 PM
    apps apps apps apps apps apps... that's all people say they want and need!! it's true that you need decent apps to do anything on any device, but it's not the be all and end all of what makes a good device.

I look at everyone with iphones, ipads even blackberries and see the vast amount of apps they have and ask a few questions..

"how many of these do you use on a regular basis?"
    answer: less then 10%!

I think it's the fact that people just like having a lot of apps and be able to download them when their bored.. not actual use them!

I know i am guilty of this!! even on my torch.. i buy apps, download free ones cause I THINK i need them, when i;m bored before bed i take a look at App World to see if there any apps i can download for free... but seriously i don't play any of the games more then once a week, if even, but i can't stop looking at my blackberry more then a hand full of times an hour... why?

for me it's BBM, text messages, reminders of tasks, meeting reminders, integration of meeting conference calls, setting up meetings on the fly, having my whole corporate address book in my blackberry without having it in my contacts, pounding out emails while i'm taking a crap.. the group i have set up in bbm with my wife, we can create lists (i.e for shopping), to do lists, calendar events that are shared with her, since she's more organized then me this helps A LOT, quick banking through my TD app.

i had an iphone 4 for 2 weeks and i couldn't do any of the above properly, although IMAP for email was nice and be able to filter your mail into folders.. yes i had 50 + apps downloaded on my iphone4 including angry birds and it was a lot of fun wasting time on the public transit when i commuted back then, but i just couldn't do the things i wanted to!

so for me it's not about the apps i can have! it's what i can do with my device! and from what i've seen, people have 5000000 apps downloaded but they use like 5 everyday or even a few times a week.

it's like when i had nintendo back in the day.. i had those 101 games in 1, or a shelf full of games, but i played like 5 of them or the newest one i buy..

i don't even know where people find the time to play with all these apps in a given day, week, month.. don't people have lives?

and like many many many people have said.. it's what you want with your device.. and unfortunately the majority of the population are made to think they need a CRAP load of apps to have a good device that works for you! (i never said you don't need any apps) but it's not what makes the device a good one for you.

i don't have either the PB or the ipad cause i don't need a tablet! but if i wanted one it would be tough to choose cause of what i would use it for.. 1 of the biggest is that i speak in front of church and play in a church band.. so it would be nice to have a bigger display to view my notes or my music sheets.. but again it comes down to usability and what i need it for, not how many apps i can download!
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 06-30-11 at 02:57 PM.
    06-30-11 02:51 PM
    The reason the iPad sold is because all of the apps already available for the iPhone and iPod Touch work on the iPad. Had the iPad been introduced, but it had few apps, nobody would have bought it.
    That's not quite true...have you ever seen iPhone apps on an iPad? Looks horrible... The reason is because native apps showed up almost right away... And now up to like 100,000 native iPad apps and growing...

Apps and Dev support are RIM's biggest Achilles heel, next to their stubborn ***** co-CEOs.
    06-30-11 02:52 PM
    Again, RIM needs to get more playbooks in consumer hands in order to attract more 3rd party developers.
    That's not happening until said developers produce more apps for the PB. RIM needs to subsidize this, but that probably isn't happening either.

Contrary to popular belief around here, the general public isn't going to drop the same amount of money on a PB, with only hopes and dreams of it being everything want it to be in 6-8 months, when they can just get an iPad2 or Galaxy.
    06-30-11 02:52 PM
    Which is exactly why the letter is correct. Developers get to make or break rim.

Precisely, and RIM needs to give the developers the tools they need to perform their jobs. If the tools are lacking, and the developers do not find it financially beneficial to spend their time creating the apps, they will move on to other platforms. Even Microsoft is attracting more developers to the Windows Phone 7 platform. There are not a huge number of apps, but there are a lot that were developed in a short time.
    06-30-11 02:53 PM
    Which is exactly why the letter is correct. Developers get to make or break rim. I'm pretty sure rim knows this hence all the new development paths available. Will it be enough.... Probably not at this late date.

you should be the next CEO! do you have a multi billion dollar company you run everyday?

developers are a very important part of the process but it's not ALL RIM needs..

i think more importantly they have to win the trust of shareholders, consumers to make them see VALUE in their product .. and break down all these negative stigmas about their company and what they are capable of!
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    06-30-11 03:01 PM
    This is what the elite companies do...good post.
    I disagree completely!

Apple is a company built on taking something someone else does, and refining it to their vision of simplicity, Apple is an elite company, they are a market dominator, but they are far from leading the pack.

iTunes when it launched was probably Apples last really innovative leading technology, since then they've just refined what someone else thought of and do a dang good job at it.
    06-30-11 03:03 PM
    Yea, Jim was too busy trying to acquire an NHL team a few years back... I wonder if Mike also lost focus?

-Rich

RIM's big mistake was not reacting swiftly enough to iPhone. RIM made a lot of other great decisions and had great earnings up until like two quarters ago.

QNX is a good move, even if it should have been done earlier.

This guy needs to spend less time writing letters to BGR and more time writing code. What a tool.
    06-30-11 03:05 PM
    Precisely, and RIM needs to give the developers the tools they need to perform their jobs. If the tools are lacking, and the developers do not find it financially beneficial to spend their time creating the apps, they will move on to other platforms. Even Microsoft is attracting more developers to the Windows Phone 7 platform. There are not a huge number of apps, but there are a lot that were developed in a short time.
    are you a dev? do you know what tools are needed?

i think one of the main reasons is that there are SOOO MANY resolutions, and now 3 platforms to develop for and support!

the combinations of TESTS that need to be performed from a quality perspective is huge to ensure your apps work on each device with different OS' and resolutions! does that make it hard to code for? maybe.. i';m not a dev..
    06-30-11 03:07 PM
    I'm sorry, we disagree, they are the only thing that matters in this market.

Let me ask you this, have you installed any apps on your PlayBook? If the answer is no I will recind & agree with you. If the answer is yes could you explain why?

06-30-11 03:10 PM
    RIM's big mistake was not reacting swiftly enough to iPhone. RIM made a lot of other great decisions and had great earnings up until like two quarters ago.

QNX is a good move, even if it should have been done earlier.

This guy needs to spend less time writing letters to BGR and more time writing code. What a tool.
    Thanks for that

06-30-11 03:12 PM
    Man the guy who wrote this letter should be made the sole CEO of RIM. He actually knows what he's talking about. Too bad he didn't speak up sooner. A lot sooner.
    06-30-11 03:16 PM
    are you a dev? do you know what tools are needed?

i think one of the main reasons is that there are SOOO MANY resolutions, and now 3 platforms to develop for and support!

the combinations of TESTS that need to be performed from a quality perspective is huge to ensure your apps work on each device with different OS' and resolutions! does that make it hard to code for? maybe.. i';m not a dev..
    I am not a developer, but I believe the person who started this thread is.
    06-30-11 03:19 PM
    RIM must be really rattled by that since they even posted about their response to the "open letter" on the Blackberry Facebook page...
    06-30-11 03:38 PM
    RIM must be really rattled by that since they even posted about their response to the "open letter" on the Blackberry Facebook page...
    Really dumb move IMHO.

Now everyone and their mother knows about the letter from earlier in the day. They just gave it validity when it could have just been easily dismissed.
    06-30-11 03:43 PM
    Wow after reading this letter I think I may have seen the light. The CEO's ARE the problem. i have felt the same frustrations at almost every company I have worked. Very good expression of what probably all corporate slaves feel.

But lets stop the bashing there - RIM is apparently a company with a lot of highly talented but frustrated, demoralized employees. I have always felt that happy employees are primary to any success.

How about if we CEO bash instead of RIM and Playbook bash though? It's not RIM and playbooks fault

Now can we all just get along?
    06-30-11 03:46 PM
    Really dumb move IMHO.

Now everyone and their mother knows about the letter from earlier in the day. They just gave it validity when it could have just been easily dismissed.

Ok I can't take it anymore, someone tell me what IMHO means? Is that something like HOMIE? lol
    06-30-11 03:47 PM
114 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD