05-02-11 06:46 AM
117 ... 345
tools
    The ownership is what matters. Ford is American owned. Honda is Japanese owned.

Where it is made is irrelevant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Tell that to the American factory worker who lost his or her job when the manufacturing of products of that "American" company was outsourced.
    Last edited by lak611; 05-01-11 at 04:09 AM.
    05-01-11 04:01 AM
    Tell that to the American factory worker who lost his or her job when the manufacturing of products of that "American" company was outsourced.
    Bingo!!! And that's why the American economy is in such a mess. If you export all of your jobs, then sooner or later your customers are unemployed. Then you have a recession of epic proportions.

Last edited by E92Vancouver; 05-01-11 at 04:25 AM.
    05-01-11 04:19 AM
    Bingo!!! And that's why the American economy is in such a mess. If you export all of your jobs, then sooner or later your customers are unemployed. Then you have a recession of epic proportions.

I would rather support a foreign company that employs American workers in manufacturing than an American company that outsources their manufacturing to foreign countries.
    05-01-11 04:39 AM
    I would rather support a foreign company that employs American workers in manufacturing than an American company that outsources their manufacturing to foreign countries.
    Very well said and something to definitely think about. But you did buy an American car made in Mexico. Good call on the Honda.
    05-01-11 05:06 AM
    There is this Amercian named Barack. His last name escapes me. But he has this "Buy American" rally going on right now. I think he calls it "Putting America Back to Work".

Donald Trump wants tariffs on imports from China.

..snip....
    There is an initiative the name escapes me, to reduce and tax the carbon footprint. One can buy American if the goal of the government is to shut down the heavy manufacturing industries, which is what drives the economies.

The politics and financies of the manufacturing industry is obviously complicated, but I would love it for America to take the lead again in the electronic industry and be able to "buy America" instead of "buy China".
    05-01-11 08:21 AM
    The ownership is what matters. Ford is American owned. Honda is Japanese owned.

Where it is made is irrelevant.

Aren't you contradicting your "it doesn't matter where it's made" statement above? Because really, that was a very shortsighted argument.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-01-11 at 09:16 AM.
    05-01-11 09:13 AM
    If you are American and own a blackberry, you are an anomoly. You are a heretic.
    I guess our government and many businesses/business people should be deported and turned into Canadians citizens then...
    Last edited by avt123; 05-01-11 at 09:28 AM.
    05-01-11 09:26 AM
    I guess our government and many businesses/business people should be deported and turned into Canadians citizens then...
    I wonder if they will take back my American naturalisation certificate.
    05-01-11 09:47 AM
    As a Manufacturer I can say you are the exception

when Putting the Branding "Made in America" on a Product line it's sales increased exponentially.

When doing Trade shows with the general public in attendance, in Canada 1 in 10 people will ask country of origin, And of them maybe 1 in 5 will say something favorable if mentioned it is made in Canada / North America

in the USA 2 in 3 People will ask, and 50% of them will Say something positive if Made in the USA, 99% will say something negative if Made in China or India.
    Not everyone is a politician, and not everything is a car. You're wrong.

Over 50% of the electronics in anyone's house is made in another country and none of them seem to care.

Getting a good product from China or India matters more than getting a mediocre product from Brazil or Mexico.

Maybe if RIM had their 9780s made in China or India they wouldn't be so widely defective and I wouldn't have had to go through the "return and get a different phone" hoopla.
    05-01-11 10:56 AM
    I am talking about American retail buyers. Rimm's forte had always been the corporate user but they are losing that market fast!
    05-01-11 01:52 PM
    Aren't you contradicting your "it doesn't matter where it's made" statement above? Because really, that was a very shortsighted argument.
    You are tying together two different arguments of mine.

Point 1: Where a product is made does not determine the nationality of a company. The residency of the ownership does.

Point 2: The exporting of all of America's jobs is creating a severe recession.

Would you rather be employed and pay a fair price for goods or would you rather be unemployed and pay lower prices for your goods.

America is **** bent on exporting all of her jobs to increase profit margins for the shareholders.
    05-01-11 02:02 PM
    05-01-11 02:11 PM
    4 long-time bullish analysts downgraded RIM significantly on Friday. Here's why I feel they overreacted and panicked: Investing Blog: Analysts overreact to RIM guidance adjustment
    05-01-11 02:12 PM
    There is an initiative the name escapes me, to reduce and tax the carbon footprint. One can buy American if the goal of the government is to shut down the heavy manufacturing industries, which is what drives the economies.

The politics and financies of the manufacturing industry is obviously complicated, but I would love it for America to take the lead again in the electronic industry and be able to "buy America" instead of "buy China".
    America is a great innovator. They have to stop creating great products that they have made in China, only to have the engineering pirated there.

Why can't iphones be made in Alabama or Tennessee?

Hondas, Toyotas and BMWs are made in America.
    05-01-11 02:33 PM
    America is a great innovator. They have to stop creating great products that they have made in China, only to have the engineering pirated there.

Why can't iphones be made in Alabama or Tennessee?

Hondas, Toyotas and BMWs are made in America.
    raw material costs
    right now world hot band steel prices per ton are
    USA / EUR / CHIN / World average
    $970 / $852 / $606 / $769

that is just one raw material, then you get some rare materials that are only able to be processed in China, and it would take 5 to 8 years for any other nation to get the processing for them
    05-01-11 08:20 PM
    raw material costs
    right now world hot band steel prices per ton are
    USA / EUR / CHIN / World average
    $970 / $852 / $606 / $769

that is just one raw material, then you get some rare materials that are only able to be processed in China, and it would take 5 to 8 years for any other nation to get the processing for them
    Okay. What about sourcing all of the parts from China for final assembly and QA testing in America?

They have to ship them here any way.
    05-02-11 01:48 AM
    Okay. What about sourcing all of the parts from China for final assembly and QA testing in America?

They have to ship them here any way.

That is a possibility, depending on the tolerances accepted for each part.
    If they say have a .5% rejection rate on say Battery doors, and ship 14 Million a quarter that is 70,000 Battery doors they have to ship BACK to china for rework.

There are a lot more than just Labour reasons to manufacture product in China, and lax environmental legislation is no longer one of them, as in area's like Nantong the requirements are actually more strict than in the US for facilities and pollution generation.

Objects like Automobiles the added cost of labour and Materials here is outweighed by the huge cost of shipping, and the time constraints of shipping over the ocean due to their size and weight, with mobile phones the volume that can fit in a container, cubes out before weights out and the shipping costs become negligible to the over all cost
    05-02-11 06:46 AM
117 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD