05-02-11 06:46 AM
117 1234 ...
tools
    It's a lost cause regardless... The battery tech investment is microscopic compared to every other feature. It will only get worse. 3D + HD recording + 15mbps network transfers + dual core to quad core... Battery suck is the new standard, starting this year...

That and consumers are not prioritizing battery life at all, so the investment just isn't there...

All the people who aren't already running LTE on Android have no idea what they are in for battery life wise...
    true true, at least there are people coming up with creative solutions for optimizing with software though. like androids ability to overclock while in use, and severely underclock if not totally shut down when not being used, and profiles can be set up and automanaged.. i'm pretty used to plugging my device in when i'm around a charger at this point anyway. with tasker you could have lte set to auto turn on only if the phone is being used, and shut back down to 2g when not. this should probably be built in as at least an easily understood option on stock so that people who have no clue what they're doing don't have to fumble around language and apps they can't understand
    Last edited by katiepea; 04-28-11 at 10:00 PM.
    04-28-11 09:58 PM
    Even with the revision...profit should still be around 700 million...

Let's just hurry up and get this transition phase over ASAP!
    That's about the only consolation - that they're still profitable. It's also somewhat encouraging that they're saying that PlayBook sales are basically on target. I've got to say though that I'm a little concerned. This is the first quarter they've had to lower their guidance, and there's nothing coming out that's going to make the next quarter any better, which means next quarter's earnings call is very likely going to result in another haircut.

They absolutely MUST get this next batch of phones out on time and bug-free, which means well before September's iP5 launch. And they have to perform with the best of the Androids. They also need to hope that the novelty of Android starts cooling off so that consumers still have an interest in even looking at BB phones. And they need to polish up the PlayBook so it's desirable by the masses. That's a lot of work to do, and just a few months in which to do it.

RIM is still profitable and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future, and they're still relatively debt-free, both of which are pretty respectable for a company in a 'transition' period. And 'stuff' happens to companies all the time that knocks the stock for a loop. I'm still optimistic based on the PlayBook's potential, the specs of the coming devices, and whatever they should be able to pull together with all of their recent acquisitions. But the clock is ticking...
    04-28-11 09:58 PM
    true true, at least there are people coming up with creative solutions for optimizing with software though. like androids ability to overclock while in use, and severely underclock if not totally shut down when not being used, and profiles can be set up and automanaged.. i'm pretty used to plugging my device in when i'm around a charger at this point anyway.
    Only problem is:
    1) undervolting and cpu scaling isn't new... So it doesn't really solve the problem since it's always been done.
    2) Every time they optimize the efficiency of something (such as power vs performance of a chip), everything else demands even more out of the hardware, so it negates it... The skins a lone for example are going to become way more hardware dependent (sense 3.0 is a likely example). Just wait till the phones can do 720p HD flash video support also...
    04-28-11 10:02 PM
    i said that a device being better was subject to my opinion, never did i say what i thought was the final say so, why are you so hot and bothered about this? i don't think i ever said i was ready to lead the brigade out of blackberryland and everyone should follow. i've long been a blackberry lover and simply want them to be better. as do, i'm presuming, most of you. you may be possibly drinking the same water rim is, at some point you have to wake up and realize that the glory days are fading and something needs to be done. standing around screaming at people who say anything negative about your device doesn't really benefit anyone. i'd be the first one to go buy into RIM's next greatest thing if it truly was the next greatest thing.

the funny thing is that you're the only one on this page that still has a blackberry as their daily device...

i also did indeed state why other devices are better, and that's because of the development community, android and ios get almost weekly updates from developers like facebook, twitter, last.fm foursquare... while blackberry wait for these updates for months. nearly every app that exists on all platforms has it's worst iteration on blackberry. and i still own several blackberry's. i am not sure why you're upset but it's a little bit misguided i think.
    I use a blackberry as my daily device. I use an S2. In my family there is BIS/BES/2 viphones. I'm not thrilled with the iphones and BIS works well enough for what it's needed to do.

The thing is a higher end device wouldn't really make my life better or more productive. It would allow me a little more freedom on the phone when travelling or commuting.

There are a lot of people who think like me out there. For that reason RIM has to step it. They have not had any real competitive releases in a while and the Playbook probably sucked up all of their resources. R&D can be very draining on the bottom line.

Hopefully within a few months there will be some phones that will be of a competitive nature from RIM.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-28-11 10:23 PM
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/te...r=yahoofinance

Brighter days could be coming next week. But they have to do more than unveil the new models - they need to have them on the street soon.
    04-28-11 10:26 PM
    it's always so hard to see that something you love and believe in so much can take a beating like this.

it's almost like you wanna just reach out and be like.... it's right HERE the answer RIM. YOU can do it!!

I just really hope they make it thru because I have so much faith and love for the product. I have been to iPhone and Android and back then back to BlackBerry so many times that it HAS to mean there is some kind of magic in the product.

It almost feels as if there are just tiny little changes they have to make, get those awesome apps on the devices to please all the AppFanatics out there and voila! We have a WINNER.
    04-28-11 11:53 PM
    I actually get katiepea's post about RIM and qnx!
    Also, I honestly think RIM needs more innovation, and while the coming devices this year are great, if they just add a little more juice to it, these devices could be beasts!

I've always thought that launching qnx this year would be better for them but i know it takes time to sort thins out on their end. We can only hope as consumers.
    04-28-11 11:56 PM
    I personally think the end of the world in close for RIM, I am not a business user and I bought my Blackberry mainly for BBM, their phones do not have the probably the worst OS compared to iPhone and Android, they also have the worst and most expensive app support, compare iphone/android for how many free apps are charged for on Blackberry.

Now that Live Profile is available cross platform, I no longer need BBM as I can communicate with even more contacts using this than BBM, I know it probably doesnt have all the features of BBM, but I only use BBM for texting.

So RIM no longer have the monopoly on this type of communication.

Their choice in my eyes is to either ban Live Profile from Blackberry similar to the way KIK was banned, this would mean the end to Blackberry even quicker as many users would be driven away to use an OS which supports Live Profile, OR, catch up with the rest of the market, improve their OS, phone range and apps, and try to start competing with the other two.

They also need to remember that the world is a huge market and limiting many apps to USA Canada only simply alienates millions of users
    04-29-11 01:27 AM

RIM doesn't spend enough on advertising. In the US, 70% of smartphone users have iphones, 20% have android and 10% have a blackberry. Of the 20% that have android, 90% of them really want an iphone but don't because Verizon does not offer the iphone.

This is from my own informal observations and discussions when I ask android owners why they don't have an iphone.
    Huh?

Verizon has the iPhone 4, and it has been available since February 10, 2011.
    04-29-11 01:34 AM
    Must be all those buyers returning their Playbooks.

RIM doesn't spend enough on advertising. In the US, 70% of smartphone users have iphones, 20% have android and 10% have a blackberry. Of the 20% that have android, 90% of them really want an iphone but don't because Verizon does not offer the iphone.

This is from my own informal observations and discussions when I ask android owners why they don't have an iphone.

Blackberry is almost extinct in the U.S. American's love their American made products. Buy America is big on the U.S.
    Too add to what lak said about the iphone on vz. Android users are not jumping to the iphone as some expected.

Seems that android was not a "it's almost like an iphone" device after all. People like them and they work well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 02:30 AM
    I actually get katiepea's post about RIM and qnx!
    Also, I honestly think RIM needs more innovation, and while the coming devices this year are great, if they just add a little more juice to it, these devices could be beasts!

I've always thought that launching qnx this year would be better for them but i know it takes time to sort thins out on their end. We can only hope as consumers.
    People don't actually want innovation... They just say they do. What people buy the most is the same formula rehashed. It just has to be the "right" kind of "same". Apple does not have to innovate, they just have to keep the marketing the same. Apple doesn't have the most development because of innovation, they have it because all their devices are more or less the "same", making fragmentation virtually non-existent and simple, not to mention only one app store.

There's a reason COD outsells every other game every single year, and it's certainly not innovation... People just use "innovation" like a buzz word.
    04-29-11 03:12 AM
    People don't actually want innovation... They just say they do. What people buy the most is the same formula rehashed. It just has to be the "right" kind of "same". Apple does not have to innovate, they just have to keep the marketing the same. Apple doesn't have the most development because of innovation, they have it because all their devices are more or less the "same", making fragmentation virtually non-existent and simple, not to mention only one app store.

There's a reason COD outsells every other game every single year, and it's certainly not innovation... People just use "innovation" like a buzz word.
    There's some truth in there. Releasing hardware year after year is a regular affair, and definitely the new product has to be fresh AND reassuring. A sense of continuity will help to build the company's image (of stability), and hopefully establish a cult following.

I believe most people don't appreciate the UI refresh from OS5 to OS6. Much thought has been put into it to allow a smooth transition. Again, it has to be fresh, yet reassuring to the user. It is not as simple as making a new theme, trust me.
    04-29-11 04:00 AM
    so you know what will be standardized in the mobile industry this time next year? if so please let me know, i'm excited to hear.
    Given what we already know about chips and display tech that is on the way, the odds are that mainstream highend will be more mature 4g and dualcore chipsets, the cutting edge stuff of today except with better screens.

The cutting edge are of highend will be fairly similar except with under-utilised quadcores and worse battery life.

A more interesting question is probably what is going to be common in the mid to lower end of the market, will the 2012 curve be sporting a slower dualcore or a fast single core at a similar speed to the forthcoming new models?
    04-29-11 06:16 AM

You missed out the obvious statistic that 87.3% of all statistics are made up, although that was fairly obvious from the figures you mention anyway.
    04-29-11 06:19 AM

Indeed, rim have actually innovated more when it comes to form factors than their rivals even in the last year, their main issues in recent times were the browser (mostly addressed in os6), the specs (mostly addressed with forthcoming devices) and the perception that appstores should be judged on how many 100k's of apps they have (should be addressed by the android player).

On that last point, rim's real problem with apps isn't actually the total numbers as that is a pointless metric, their real problem has been key apps being inferior or absent and they should have been spending money to ensure high quality ports for all the standout apps people expect such as netflix or games such as angry birds since those would have had a positive knock-on effect on other developers and improved the general perception of blackberry 3rd party apps to the general public.
    04-29-11 06:29 AM
    You mean not releasing a new phone in almost 9 months will hurt revenue? Shocking!!!! Hey RIM, I'll buy a new phone when you release something new, and buy 3 others for the rest of my families aging Blackberry phones. And I'll even buy the OS7 devices, but a lot of people may wait for qnx. Better speed up R&D!
    04-29-11 07:08 AM
    Indeed, rim have actually innovated more when it comes to form factors than their rivals even in the last year, their main issues in recent times were the browser (mostly addressed in os6), the specs (mostly addressed with forthcoming devices) and the perception that appstores should be judged on how many 100k's of apps they have (should be addressed by the android player).

On that last point, rim's real problem with apps isn't actually the total numbers as that is a pointless metric, their real problem has been key apps being inferior or absent and they should have been spending money to ensure high quality ports for all the standout apps people expect such as netflix or games such as angry birds since those would have had a positive knock-on effect on other developers and improved the general perception of blackberry 3rd party apps to the general public.
    Not to nit pick (but I am anyway) , good luck getting angry birds to work on a qwerty keyboard phone or a phone with a clickable screen.

Oh wait, here it is:

04-29-11 07:34 AM
    the funny thing is that you're the only one on this page that still has a blackberry as their daily device...

I have several BBerries, and they are the ones I use as my daily device, depending on what I feel like each day. My brand new Atrix simply can't keep up with one full day's use.

And yes, my BB just works for me and does what I need it to do just as well as my Atrix. It simply is more dependable for me. For that reason alone I would say that my BBerries work for me better than my brand new Atrix, with all its bells, whistles, and flash. No pun intended.
    04-29-11 07:39 AM
    Not to nit pick (but I am anyway) , good luck getting angry birds to work on a qwerty keyboard phone or a phone with a clickable screen.

Oh wait, here it is:

OK, I am officially the only person in the world who is not into Angry Birds. There is something terribly wrong with me.
    04-29-11 07:41 AM
    Well we will know monday if what they have is good enough its the analyst meeting at bbw so they will get to see first hand if what they have is good.
    04-29-11 07:49 AM
    I really believe rims problem is just not getting the devices out on time obviously there are other issues but every os has issues but rims real problem is not moving fast enough . If these phones had come in place of the torch what 9 months ago you would see a very different guidance and outlook .
    I got a fEeling this 2011 leaked map of devices was supposed to be 2010 we've seen leaked bold touch pictures and speculation fir a couple years now
    04-29-11 07:54 AM
    Looks like the stock is going to open down about 13%. This could very well be the beginning of the end of RIM as we know it, ala Palm and Nokia. This plunge better light a fire under Lazardis and Balsillie.
    04-29-11 08:22 AM
    I just hope the half-baked PlayBook does not get in the way of RIM getting some new phones out. New phones are way more important than another tablet in the world. Hard to compete with iPad2 at my house.
    04-29-11 08:22 AM
    This quarter coming will final be the real quarter that's make or break if these new devices don't increase the sales then yes rim will slowly decline it can't wait for next year and qnx there is no time so if these phones don't do it then the sales will only decrease but I got a dealt the careers are waiting for these phones so they can purchase and holding off on buying the usual stuff especially Verizon the last big purchase they made as far as high end was the bold 9650 that was a long time ago . All these sales are probably oversees so there is lots to gain if these phones light a fire for the careers here in north america
    04-29-11 08:29 AM
    Maybe jims right maybe what they have is very swt!!!!
    See the only videos we've seen os the blackberry touch software was recent yes buy the date was back in febuary so that's a long time and the new bold we really haven't seen a first hand video of the os besides the tutorial videos and the torch2 that video was really basic it didn't show much besides the very nice looking screen so to sum up we really haven't seen what these no blackberry can do . We got to wait till monday that will be a big day as far as rims future and jim has pretty much said that in the call last night
    04-29-11 08:48 AM
117 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD