05-11-11 10:22 AM
60 123
tools
    Part of the reason the markets don't like RIM right now...

By Tiernan Ray

A couple of folks have expressed caution about Research in Motion (RIMM) stock today, with Sterne Agee cutting to $52 from $55, and Pacific Crest warning the shares could fall to $40 or below.

RIMM is currently down $1.25, or 2.7%, at $44.74.

I haven’t seen the Pacific Crest note yet, so more on that in a short while.

In the meantime, Sterne Agee’s Shaw Wu, who has a Neutral rating on the stock, writes that RIM may bid more than $1 billion for the wireless patents of wireless equipment legend Nortel, given that Google (GOOG) has already submitted a “stalking horse” bid of $900 million. That gives one pause, Wu writes, given RIM has just $2.4 billion in net cash.

He also writes that the “PlayBook” tablet computer, which has WiFi connections only, not an integrated 3G modem (though it can connect to cellular through a BlackBerry), may have run into “battery life issues that are still being worked out,” and that are preventing the inclusion of cellular.

Until the unit has cellular, it is “tough for carriers to carry” the device, with Sprint-Nextel (S) delaying introduction of the device and AT&T (T) and Verizon Communications (VZ) not yet stepping up to the plate.

There is, in Wu’s view, “a potential higher risk profile and weakening of its balance sheet,” he writes of RIM.
    If the small 7" PlayBook is having battery issues with 3G integration... wounder what battery life on a 10" PlayBook with 4G is going to look like??
    05-10-11 12:18 PM

If the small 7" PlayBook is having battery issues with 3G integration... wounder what battery life on a 10" PlayBook with 4G is going to look like??
    May have? Seems like more hubris and spin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 01:24 PM
    No matter which way you slice it, Android is going to be the #2 installed US smartphone OS by year-end next to RIM. iOS will continue to be #1 in tablets and # 1 in MP3 players, Android's growth in smartphones can't be beat. It's RIM's game to lose.
    No WP7 would beat iOS
    Nokia sold more phones than RIM,APPLE,Samsung
    And Apps, the iOS porting API would help push iOS apps to WP7 easily

and that would be WP7 on the smartphones which would come with WP7.5 Mango so that would boost WP7 and it keeps getting better
    And Windows 8 tablet would beat the iPad just wait and see, the iPad 3 would see a dip in sales because it would be abandoned in favour of Windows 8 tablet if Microsoft releases it early - Just mark my words, iPad cant beat Windows 8 tablet,

But i remain loyal to RIM on phones that is waiting for the 9900 tired of my 9780 already but am getting a tablet not Playbook ? Why - It is ---> Rubbish so i go for Hp touchpad and oh the good WebOS where Rim copied on QNX

Truth is Microsoft has a roadmap to follow RIM has None for now
    05-10-11 05:38 PM

Considering it's more or less guaranteed to be software related and the 10" probably wouldn't be running the same os version as the launched PB, it's not easy to assume...
    05-10-11 05:40 PM

Wu is Notoriously negative on RIM, and ANYTHING RIM related, these "battery issues" seem mostly unfounded based on the Wifi Only Battery that is connecting through 3G using BT which can eat battery as well.
    05-10-11 05:57 PM
    I didn't get the memo...does my playbook get bad battery life? It seems to be very good. I guess I'm using the wrong one.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    05-10-11 06:03 PM
    I'm sorry, but Wu is trying to drop RIM shares to $0... Won't believe a word that comes out of that 'analyst' mind of his... RIM is down atm, granted, so people decide to nitpick for anything to dis anything RIM related, and where they can't, they make up bull. If anything kills RIM, it won' be the competitors, it'll be the analysts and their constant notorious hatred for RIM... now, back to my Torch while I save up for a PlayBook.
    anon(73368) and Telus Toronto like this.
    05-10-11 06:54 PM
    Battery life is not an issue on the Playbook. Sales are though. Which is true for the Style, Torch and 9780. It will be true for the 9900 as well. What feature(s) in the 9900 would draw the droid crowd back to BlackBerry? Right now RIM's only realistic strategy is to try to staunch the bleeding. Which means the 9900 is most likely going to appeal to Crackberry forum members who bought the Playbook on launch day and liked it enough to get a second one as a gift for a family member. As for QNX phones, I'm not bullish on those. If a QNX tablet drew heinous reviews does one expect rave reviews on the phones? I highly doubt BB7 will be hurt that much by the foreshadow of QNX since I never met anyone (outside these forums) that even knows about QNX anything, even if they've dabbled with my Playbook and liked it. Does you local smartphone salesguy even know that QNX is coming to BlackBerry phones?
    05-10-11 07:56 PM
    Huh? Style sales were pretty good on Sprint (considering it was a Sprint only release in the US). It accounted for 1/3 of Sprint's total BB sales in Q3.... Torch sales met expectations.
    05-10-11 07:59 PM
    Battery life is not an issue on the Playbook. Sales are though. Which is true for the Style, Torch and 9780. It will be true for the 9900 as well. What feature(s) in the 9900 would draw the droid crowd back to BlackBerry? Right now RIM's only realistic strategy is to try to staunch the bleeding. Which means the 9900 is most likely going to appeal to Crackberry forum members who bought the Playbook on launch day and liked it enough to get a second one as a gift for a family member. As for QNX phones, I'm not bullish on those. If a QNX tablet drew heinous reviews does one expect rave reviews on the phones? I highly doubt BB7 will be hurt that much by the foreshadow of QNX since I never met anyone (outside these forums) that even knows about QNX anything, even if they've dabbled with my Playbook and liked it. Does you local smartphone salesguy even know that QNX is coming to BlackBerry phones?
    The selling point for the 9900 is easy. Thinnest, fastest BlackBerry ever. Many people who have had a BlackBerry and switched are looking for a reason to come back because they miss the form factor. Its not limited to just crackberry. This thing is going to sell extremely well. No one here likes to think that for some reason. I for one am using my Evo until this phone releases and I can't wait for that to happen. Still soo many bugs with the Evo in just the messaging app.
    05-11-11 10:22 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD