04-06-11 04:49 PM
141 ... 456
tools
    That date sounds about right. I would think earlier wouldn't make much sense but if they saturate their advertising like they did with the torch, I think they will have good sales. It is a good product.
    Totally agree; the only problem there is, AT&T did most of the adverts for the Torch. But, they have allocated enough resources for the launch of the PlayBook to materially affect a whole quarter's profit guidance; you'd have to think a good portion of that is earmarked for advertising. I'd say as much as a week ahead of the release would be a good time to start the media blitz.

Even this late in the game, it's still going to be interesting to see how they play it.
    04-05-11 08:01 PM
    1 - There are quite a few people who think a 10" tablet is too big and think a 7" tablet would be just right. I'm one, and I have an iPad in the house to use as a reference. I don't like it, and I'm more than willing to pay the same price for a device that's more powerful and fits me better. Of course I don't count because I'm one of them fanbois.

2 - Read any number of reviews from anyone who has actually used a PlayBook before you go predicting sub-par reviews.

3 - Take a finance class or two before you start claiming to understand a company's guidance.
    I agree, I have had 2 7" tablets running android ( from china) and 1 10", and I do like the 7" size better. I have an iPad now, but am looking forward to the playbook.
    04-05-11 08:34 PM
    They did say the others would work but so far there's only 50 tablet specific apps. True or not?
    I think that was true at launch, my point was that other android apps are far more usable on a larger screen device due to proper scaling than ios apps which only have the horrible 2x option for iphone apps.

It is quite amusing that apple were so eagerly claiming 100k or whatever ios apps when the ipad1 came out, but now the comparison would be one ludicrous number against another if they did ios vs android they choose to move the goalposts.
    04-06-11 01:17 AM
    I think it is a key point that the Android tablets will run most phone applications, but so would the original iPad. In many cases it still took native tablet apps to take full advantage of the resolution and form factor. In this regard the Playbook may actually leapfrog Honeycomb in terms of applications, and if it incorporates Android apps quickly, that will just add to it. The support for Air and Flash should give the PB a good start. We shall see!
    I think the crucial difference is that iphone-only apps on my ipad look like ****, whereas normal android apps look fine on larger screen devices assuming they don't crash at least.

The stupidest thing about the iphone apps is that if you jailbreak your ipad you can get an app that can force a better method of scaling on those apps, but I guess if they made iphone apps more usable then it would be harder to sell those ipad versions for 5x the price for simply updating the gfx.
    04-06-11 01:21 AM
    Again, bloggers have them. For reasons known only to a chosen few, RIM has asked - no, demanded - that they keep details under wraps. They've gone as far as to ask the FCC to extend their lid on confidential details until 4/19. It's not unusual at all. When is the last time you got any details of an Apple product prior to the actual release? You don't. Until they day they go on sale, it's nothing but rumors and speculation. Nothing different here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    you mean you don't know why rimm has demanded reviewers keep their thoughts to themselves until april 19? lol.
    04-06-11 02:27 AM
    It is because Apple has a marketing Engine and Force feeds people Marketing, Many people think that Apple invented the Mp3 player, and iPod MEANS MP3 Player, they think Apple invented the touch screen phone, and that Apps are an Apple Invention, Apple is one of the most brilliant marketing engines and the public, ESPECIALLY the American TV viewing Public are brainwashed to advertising
    I know. Apples marketing is what makes them a lot more known. Again this proves my point even further.
    04-06-11 10:51 AM
    you mean you don't know why rimm has demanded reviewers keep their thoughts to themselves until april 19? lol.
    Maybe the reasons for the NDA are part of the NDA, too ...
    04-06-11 11:19 AM
    Maybe you will enlighten us....
    04-06-11 11:20 AM
    Maybe the reasons for the NDA are part of the NDA, too ...
    There is a double standard when it comes to RIM, as if we didn't already know that.
    04-06-11 11:21 AM
    I know. Apples marketing is what makes them a lot more known. Again this proves my point even further.
    I like how he took a shot at Americans.

It's not our fault RIM sucks at marketing. They're even worse than Microsoft, and that's hard to do these days...

Waiting until the 14th to do a marketing push for a tablet when there are other tablets beating it to the market? I sure hope RIM isn't taking tips from this guys.

Their Playbook marketing has been utterly embarassing, thus far.

I don't see it getting any better.

P.S. Everyone is brainwashed by marketing, and it has nothing to do with what region or country. I'd venture to say the people in the UK/Canada/etc. who buy BBs because of a BBM commercial are a bit more naive than those here who buy products based on the sum of their capabilities and the quality of the experience.
    04-06-11 02:33 PM
    The best marketing is backed by a compelling product. When a product lacks focus and clear purpose, it's also very hard to market.

04-06-11 02:48 PM

It's not our fault RIM sucks at marketing. They're even worse than Microsoft, and that's hard to do these days...

Waiting until the 14th to do a marketing push for a tablet when there are other tablets beating it to the market? I sure hope RIM isn't taking tips from this guys.

P.S. Everyone is brainwashed by marketing, and it has nothing to do with what region or country. I'd venture to say the people in the UK/Canada/etc. who buy BBs because of a BBM commercial are a bit more naive than those here who buy products based on the sum of their capabilities and the quality of the experience.
    I do agree it is not just Americans that are brainwashed. I didn't take it as a shot, because there are a ton of Americans that are brainwashed, but I do agree, people form other countries are as well. I'm sure Apple shows them a lot of the commercials we see.
    04-06-11 03:21 PM

I said AMERICAN TV, not Americans, American TV has FAR more commercials and product placement than any other country, and clearly you know that since you've been to far more places than anyone else..

Canadians, are subject to American TV as much as Americans are,

That is all I will address, the rest is the usual crap.
    04-06-11 03:59 PM
    Naysayers will be naysayers. I will admit, RIM's advertising in the UK for the PB is non-existant. And have there been any TV commercials for it in the US? I could take a ****, give it to Apple, ask them to sell it, and they'd still be able to sell it for $800 a pop. They can market ANYTHING! RIM needs to take a few cues from Apple in terms of advertising. It has the compelling product, it just needs the advertising.
    04-06-11 04:10 PM
    Naysayers will be naysayers. I will admit, RIM's advertising in the UK for the PB is non-existant. And have there been any TV commercials for it in the US? I could take a ****, give it to Apple, ask them to sell it, and they'd still be able to sell it for $800 a pop. They can market ANYTHING! RIM needs to take a few cues from Apple in terms of advertising. It has the compelling product, it just needs the advertising.
    I don't think anyone is going to pay 800 bucks for your **** no matter who is trying to sell it.

04-06-11 04:29 PM
    I don't think anyone is going to pay 800 bucks for your **** no matter who is trying to sell it.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did with Apple's marketing. Although they'd probably take Steve Jobs' **** and sell it for $1'500 a pop.
    04-06-11 04:49 PM
141 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD