04-06-11 05:49 PM
141 ... 3456
tools
    People who are not technically savvy, don't really know the difference between and ipad, xoom or playbook. They are going to walk into staples and have their eyes glaze over as they try to figure things out.

RIM will be fine despite your prognostications, and your circle of friends.
    Except those "not technically savvy" individuals are going to look at the much larger iPad2 and the little PlayBook and notice right off that the iPad2 is larger but yet the same price. Not being tech savvy they might make their decision totally based on the visual appeal of the iPad2 (and the fact that the iPad is what everyone has been talking about for the last year).

So I don't see sale of the PlayBook taking off... at least not until we see some stellar reviews from some trusted experts. Along with a few Pro and Con comparison of the PlayBook to other tablets on the market (iPad2).
    04-05-11 02:22 PM
    Except those "not technically savvy" individuals are going to look at the much larger iPad2 and the little PlayBook and notice right off that the iPad2 is larger but yet the same price. Not being tech savvy they might make their decision totally based on the visual appeal of the iPad2 (and the fact that the iPad is what everyone has been talking about for the last year).

So I don't see sale of the PlayBook taking off... at least not until we see some stellar reviews from some trusted experts. Along with a few Pro and Con comparison of the PlayBook to other tablets on the market (iPad2).
    Give me an honest answer, would you think people who laptop shop would know the difference between a 14 inch and 17 inch laptop? And what size might fit their particular circumstances? Even these laptops were the same price due to the features? Do people understand the difference between an F150 and 328i that might sell for the same price?

I think RIM took a educated gamble with the size, but other manufacturers are creating laptops around the same size.

Whether it takes or not, I think most BB people know the tablet is coming. I believe RIM has said it targeted the business user first.

Time will tell.
    04-05-11 02:58 PM

The point of the Playbook size is that it fits in the inside pocket of a suit, jacket, coat etc so there's no need for a manbag lol
    Ipad has to be in your hand, handbag or bag.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 03:08 PM
    there's no need for a manbag lol
    Ipad has to be in your hand, handbag or bag.

"It's called a satchel. Indiana Jones used one."
    04-05-11 03:28 PM
    So does Joy Behar....
    04-05-11 03:38 PM
    So does Joy Behar....
    Hopefully Hangover 2 will be a worthy successor!
    04-05-11 03:45 PM
    And a reason for grown men around the world that carry one to be ridiculed lol
    Remember Joey in Friends? Lol

04-05-11 03:52 PM
    People who are not technically savvy, don't really know the difference between and ipad, xoom or playbook.
    I disagree. People who are not tech savvy don't really know the difference between a Xoom or PlayBook. I don't know anyone who can't tell the difference between an iPad and something else. Everyone who I know that isn't tech savvy knows the iPad. The Xoom and PlayBook are the ones they are clueless about.
    FigureThisOut, howarmat and Chrisy like this.
    04-05-11 06:22 PM
    I disagree. People who are not tech savvy don't really know the difference between a Xoom or PlayBook. I don't know anyone who can't tell the difference between an iPad and something else. Everyone who I know that isn't tech savvy knows the iPad. The Xoom and PlayBook are the ones they are clueless about.
    That's not what I said. I didn't say people can't tell the difference between looking at 3 distinct pieces of hardware, but understanding the differences and what may be better for their circumstances, and what o/s and capabilities, etc is what I referred to.
    04-05-11 06:58 PM
    Except if they already have a Playbook, then they know exactly who makes it.
    Xoom is different, there's already so many android tablets, they won't know it's Motorola that makes it.

04-05-11 07:15 PM
    That's not what I said. I didn't say people can't tell the difference between looking at 3 distinct pieces of hardware, but understanding the differences and what may be better for their circumstances, and what o/s and capabilities, etc is what I referred to.
    Reread what you said in the post I quoted. You didn't specify what you meant by "difference". All you said was they don't know the difference between the three. Nothing about features were mentioned in the quote.

Xoom is different, there's already so many android tablets, they won't know it's Motorola that makes it.

If the PlayBook was out, I'm sure that might help, but it isn't. There are a lot of Android tablets, but there are not that many to purchase if you go to a store. At least by me there isn't. Xoom, Galaxy Tab and maybe one other at the local Best Buy and other electronic stores.
    04-05-11 07:21 PM
    Lol, sorry, I meant if they already had a Blackberry

04-05-11 07:23 PM

right because the motorola stamp on the top left is too hard for anyone to comprehend.

04-05-11 07:26 PM
    Lol, sorry, I meant if they already had a Blackberry

Every BB user I know outside of this website has absolutely no clue what the PlayBook is. They will know it is a BlackBerry because it says "BlackBerry" across the device. Otherwise, if there was no branding across the front, they would assume it is an iPad just like every other tablet.
    04-05-11 07:30 PM
    Every BB user I know outside of this website has absolutely no clue what the PlayBook is. They will know it is a BlackBerry because it says "BlackBerry" across the device. Otherwise, if there was no branding across the front, they would assume it is an iPad just like every other tablet.
    Not really, the difference in size is very obvious.

04-05-11 07:44 PM
    Not really, the difference in size is very obvious.

You honestly think most people know the size of the iPad? Maybe it is because you are in Europe, but iPad is all you here most of the time in terms of tablets.

We are talking about non tech savvy people here or at least we were originally, and most people have no clue the iPad is 10 inches. They see a device larger than a smartphone and assume iPad.
    04-05-11 07:51 PM
    Sorry I'll have to see it first they made a big hype about the web kit browser...you would think RIM would make it as fast or faster than the other browsers out there.
    But what we got was...it much better than OS 5 browser, but still slower than the rest. All that acid test for what
    04-05-11 07:54 PM
    How does your IT group know something needs work, when it's not out?

Also as for previous users and posts. You CAN choose to use the ignore feature.

That feature is there for a reason.
    04-05-11 08:35 PM
    i7 was taking a shot at me and my friends like he has done in every other thread. He is very transparent is what he says but always goes back on his sord too. Its a trend with him but dont be mad at him. He cant help it.

Our IT group just cancelled the PB as our next work device too. A prominent school system in NY. They said the PB "needs work" before being added to a professional work environment.
    I will regret this, but what work did your IT group feel the playbook needed and in what ways did another tablet fill that gap?
    04-05-11 08:38 PM
    My accountant actually asked me the other day if I knew anything about the PlayBerry, I was like Playberry?? said the Blackberry Tablet, he heard a rumor about, I then enlightened him, when I bring my taxes in next week he wants me to put aside 20 min and go over tablets, I'm his mobile guy apparently.

I would say of the "average Joe" blackberry users I know, as in NON enthusiasts about 25-30% know of the Playbook or at least a RIM made tablet coming and they didn't get iPad2's because they are waiting.

we all see value added features to having a tablet, but many of us never liked the iPad, and the Playbook is coming at right around the time company's are starting to consider roll outs of Netbook alternatives. company IT departments are putting out feelers with their sales guys as to their feelings of having a tablet.
    04-05-11 08:39 PM
    ]I would say of the "average Joe" blackberry users I know, as in NON enthusiasts about 25-30% know of the Playbook or at least a RIM made tablet coming and they didn't get iPad2's because they are waiting.
    That's all I was trying to say. The number of average users who now about the PlayBook is extremely low. The number of average users who know about the iPad is extremely high.
    04-05-11 08:41 PM
    That's all I was trying to say. The number of average users who now about the PlayBook is extremely low. The number of average users who know about the iPad is extremely high.
    Anyone who doesn't know about the iPad is living under a rock! it is on TV 30 times during prime time. and is a Give away by 10,000 charities and raffles.

The only people outside of the Tech world who know about the Playbook are people who fly a LOT or asked about it at Staples this week because of the Billboards outside telling people to PreOrder.

RIM should start Commercials and real print ads, around April 14th
    04-05-11 08:46 PM
    Anyone who doesn't know about the iPad is living under a rock! it is on TV 30 times during prime time. and is a Give away by 10,000 charities and raffles.

The only people outside of the Tech world who know about the Playbook are people who fly a LOT or asked about it at Staples this week because of the Billboards outside telling people to PreOrder.

That date sounds about right. I would think earlier wouldn't make much sense but if they saturate their advertising like they did with the torch, I think they will have good sales. It is a good product.
    04-05-11 08:50 PM

Again, you just proved my point.

So many average users know about the iPad, that when they see a tablet they automatically think it is the iPad. I went to the VZW store with my friend a few weeks ago because he wanted my help with selecting a device. He saw the Galaxy Tab and asked if that was "VZWs iPad". I said no and quickly pointed to the iPad in the store lol.

Same thing goes for touchscreens in general. When Android first came to VZW (and even now), I had so many of my friends asking if the Droid was "VZWs iPhone". Apple has the touch device (tablets, smartphones etc..) locked down when it comes to recognition.
    04-05-11 08:54 PM
    Again, you just proved my point.

So many average users know about the iPad, that when they see a tablet they automatically think it is the iPad. I went to the VZW store with my friend a few weeks ago because he wanted my help with selecting a device. He saw the Galaxy Tab and asked if that was "VZWs iPad". I said no and quickly pointed to the iPad in the store lol.

Same thing goes for touchscreens in general. When Android first came to VZW (and even now), I had so many of my friends asking if the Droid was "VZWs iPhone". Apple has the touch device (tablets, smartphones etc..) locked down when it comes to recognition.

It is because Apple has a marketing Engine and Force feeds people Marketing, Many people think that Apple invented the Mp3 player, and iPod MEANS MP3 Player, they think Apple invented the touch screen phone, and that Apps are an Apple Invention, Apple is one of the most brilliant marketing engines and the public, ESPECIALLY the American TV viewing Public are brainwashed to advertising
    04-05-11 09:01 PM
141 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD