04-06-11 04:49 PM
141 12345 ...
tools
    a 624 mhz processor is not a 2010 processor speed IMO. Even though it is a "new" processor. **** i think its underclocked from 800mhz. wtf did rim do that? battery life suffer to much at 800 mhz? who really knows
    03-29-11 08:19 PM
    a 624 mhz processor is not a 2010 processor speed IMO. Even though it is a "new" processor. **** i think its underclocked from 800mhz. wtf did rim do that? battery life suffer to much at 800 mhz? who really knows
    Actually it's a 1ghz. And I would guess it was exactly that ... pi$$-poor battery life at any higher clock speed. People complain now about the Torch's battery life as it is. It must have been Android-awful at 1ghz.

<<Flame suit on!! >>
    03-29-11 08:41 PM
    This is RIM's CEO who has to say something positive. What do they expect him to say, "well dammit, Apple and Google got us again, we've got nothing?" I'll believe it when I see it.
    03-29-11 08:58 PM
    Actually it's a 1ghz. And I would guess it was exactly that ... pi$$-poor battery life at any higher clock speed. People complain now about the Torch's battery life as it is. It must have been Android-awful at 1ghz.

<<Flame suit on!! >>
    lol see that 1 ghz would have wowed more people and been right there with the other devices. Sure you might not get 2 days of battery but I think more people would deal with loss of battery over slowness with browser and seeing a spinning clock. OS 6 would also get a better acceptance I think to.
    1magine likes this.
    03-29-11 09:04 PM
    lol see that 1 ghz would have wowed more people and been right there with the other devices. Sure you might not get 2 days of battery but I think more people would deal with loss of battery over slowness with browser and seeing a spinning clock. OS 6 would also get a better acceptance I think to.
    I'm inclined to agree on all points. Aside from screen resolution, there'd have been no grounds for any of the current performance criticisms. I think either RIM thinks BB users place a very high value on battery life, or battery life really was just horrendous at speed and RIM had no kind of energy management available in time for when they wanted to get the Torch out the door. Maybe the quantum-leap comments came before they realiized they had to so substantially underclock what would otherwise have been a very competitive bit of hardware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 09:18 PM
    Did they say why the carrier's reps jaws dropped?

Big difference in "Can't wait to get these to customers..." and "Your kidding right... no really your kidding".

Think the new phones are a huge step ahead of where BB's are right now... unfortunately still release devices that are not going to see the next OS upgrade, not going to be able to run those Android Apps that RIM just announced were coming to PB.. just doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by scalemaster34; 03-30-11 at 04:28 PM.
    03-30-11 08:57 AM
    Why wasn't it? So if I where to say I would you a bigger city on the other side of the river and I built you a bridge would you still feel the same way? The Torch has made great strides. Its solid works good and hard. Very reliable and durable. Sounds like they are going to reinforce it alittle. I mean a 1.2 ghz cpu in a phone? What's that leaveing htc to do? 1.6ghz? No your not going to control the mars rover with your torch but come on. Rim took the best of both worlds and combined them. You got the bold and a touch screen right together. America wasn't built in a day. You know honestly the other guys is not better.

I replied to you yesterday but I guess someone deleted my post. In terms of the rest of the smartphone world, if you can't see why the Torch didn't have a significant impact, I don't know what to say. Even the biggest Torch lovers could agree with me. I am not saying it is a bad device. I am just saying it was no quantum leap or triple axel.

And your last sentence is funny. IMO right now, there are over 10 devices I can think of that are better than the Torch. The other guys are just not better for you. Don't turn it into a general statement.
    03-30-11 10:32 AM
    I truly hope nobody is suggesting RIM underclocks on purpose. If so, you are stating that is the key to battery life for BB. I just don't see RIM downclocking their processors to gain a few hours of battery life
    Indeed they do. The Marvell Tavor PXA930 in the Bold family & BlackBerry Torch is standard at 800MHz. However RIM only clocks it to 624MHz for that very reason. Increased battery life performance.
    03-30-11 11:13 AM
    Indeed they do. The Marvell Tavor PXA930 in the Bold family & BlackBerry Torch is standard at 800MHz. However RIM only clocks it to 624MHz for that very reason. Increased battery life performance.
    This worries me a little now, because of the newer devices such as the Dakota and Monaco that are rumored to launch with clock speeds twice that of the Bold/Torch. Has RIM figured out the battery life dilemma in these devices?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-30-11 11:45 AM
    Personally, I could care less what RIM or anyone other company says about their unreleased devices. I will judge for myself when I get my hands on one. Anything else is just marketing ploys to generate some anticipation. That's goes for any company that states how great someone thinks their products are before they actually come out. Let's see what real world usage is like and reviews when people have actually tried them.
    03-30-11 11:55 AM
    This worries me a little now, because of the newer devices such as the Dakota and Monaco that are rumored to launch with clock speeds twice that of the Bold/Torch. Has RIM figured out the battery life dilemma in these devices?
    Don't worry.

man o man....disappointing. Im sure its real common but I didnt realize this was truly RIMS secret to good battery life.
    Disappointing? How? It's no different than Apple underclocking the A4 in the iPhone 4 to 800MHz when it's a 1GHz processor. All companies do it for the most part. Also, the majority of of good power management comes down to how the code functions. Firmware optimization is the leading factor in why devices have the battery life they do, good or bad.
    03-30-11 12:16 PM
    gotcha....Thanks for the education on this
    Yeah just about everyone underclocks the processor. Underclocking the processor helps in the power management. To me that's one of the reasons why Android phones are such battery hogs. The processors are usually capable of 1.2GHZ speeds or faster but are underclocked to 1GHZ which is still fast. But it also leads to bad power management. While Apple on the other hand uses a processor that tops off at 1GHZ and underclocks it some so the device can see have similar performance but have better power management.

It's almost like your car that can go over 100MPH but it's neither safe nor efficient to use at those speeds consistently. Makes me wonder why manufacturers are able to make cars that go that high when the highest speed limit in the country is 75MPH. Hmmmmmm (just a side thought LOL).
    03-30-11 12:55 PM
    Don't worry.
    If you say so

I feel like I've already waited an eternity for this Monaco to hit, lol
    03-30-11 03:28 PM
    It would be tragic if RIM released the monaco without LTE, and it had only slightly better battery, or *gasp* worse than some of the droids, or the iphone4.

03-30-11 03:37 PM
    Just guessing that newer chips are more efficient, and power management has advanced some in the past year as well. And RIM is also quite likely coming to the realization that at some point performance has to take a higher priority vs. battery life if they aren't going to get completely buried in the market.

03-30-11 03:53 PM
    Well maybe it will have a 1.2 ghz cpu, but downclocked to 800mhz.
    03-30-11 03:55 PM
    Just guessing that newer chips are more efficient, and power management has advanced some in the past year as well. And RIM is also quite likely coming to the realization that at some point performance has to take a higher priority vs. battery life if they aren't going to get completely buried in the market.

One would hope they realize that. But RIM's history leads to an alternative conclusion.
    03-30-11 03:56 PM
    I get it, I guess I just dont understand it. With the car reference, sometimes there is a need to go 100mph, like when outrunning the cops .....but I find it hard to believe, with todays technology, they cant get full use out of the processor and still have a 2 day battery.
    LOL @ the first part but isn't that a good reason to not allow cars to go that fast? . And I'm with you and probably many others feel the same way about battery technology. The good thing is that companies like Apple are actually working on things that have to do with battery technology to make phones more efficient. They have obviously been able to make big strides from Original iPhone to the current one. And that will mean that all the other companies will have to make this priority as well.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-30-11 at 04:15 PM.
    03-30-11 04:03 PM
    2 days of battery? On what BB? Doing what? I streamed the Met game this afternoon using the newly updated MLB app on my 9550. I took the battery off my office pod/charger it was fully charged. At the end of the game, I had half battery. If I listen to music I get 4-5 hours. If I play a 3d game and listen to music (Tank Recon ftw) I get 2-3 hours. Battery life depends more on use than any other factor. Sitting in a closing, during a 16 hour stretch I won't be listening to music or playing games, I will get 150-200 e-mails, and may make a call or two, and that will all but drain the BB. 2 days, not unless I don't really use it. PS screen brightness is at 40%.
    03-30-11 04:05 PM
    4-5 hours on audio streaming, or just listening to music locally?

If it's locally, that's terrible battery life... I can listen to local music for hours on top of regular usage and it barely does anything to the battery life (constant turning on and off of the screen to change songs likely causes more drain).
    03-30-11 04:10 PM
    Locally - retesting now. 100% battery at 5PM ET. On shuffle all. Home at 8PM will check bat life again at that point. Usually it is down in the red. Maybe I just need a new battery. I always carry a spare and they do give similar results.
    03-30-11 04:15 PM
    4-5 hours is not normal. I listen locally over BT headphones on my 9550 and get 6-7 hours.
    03-30-11 04:21 PM
    I don't believe the statement at all, especially trying to cover up for their weak guidance. The jaws should have been dropping the past year, not this late in the game.

Watch and see when the playbook likely gets subpar reviews to the ipad 2 or xoom. Too small of a screen for entry level beginning at $500.
    03-31-11 07:57 PM
    I don't believe the statement at all, especially trying to cover up for their weak guidance. The jaws should have been dropping the past year, not this late in the game.

Watch and see when the playbook likely gets subpar reviews to the ipad 2 or xoom. Too small of a screen for entry level beginning at $500.
    1 - There are quite a few people who think a 10" tablet is too big and think a 7" tablet would be just right. I'm one, and I have an iPad in the house to use as a reference. I don't like it, and I'm more than willing to pay the same price for a device that's more powerful and fits me better. Of course I don't count because I'm one of them fanbois.

2 - Read any number of reviews from anyone who has actually used a PlayBook before you go predicting sub-par reviews.

3 - Take a finance class or two before you start claiming to understand a company's guidance.
    03-31-11 08:46 PM
    @18to12fitty

Keep up the good work!
    03-31-11 10:09 PM
141 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD