10-13-11 10:09 AM
29 12
tools
    I recently tried installing BBM 5 on a Curve. It deleted BBM among other things, so I did an update/restore on the phone. The update was successful, it restored everything on the phone and upgraded BBM to 5.0. Unfortunately, all the contacts were lost -- is there any way to restore the contact list?

I have a backup of the BlackBerry from before it was updated.
    09-09-09 11:20 PM
    did u b-up ur contact list in ur bbm b4 trying to install bbm5? bbm > berryprint > back up contact list

if yes go to ur bbm > berryprint > restore contact list

if no sorry dude i dont think is a way but i can be wrong. good luck
    09-09-09 11:41 PM
    09-09-09 11:42 PM
    whats berryprint?
    09-09-09 11:57 PM
    whats berryprint?
    LOL!!! The Blackberry Button I think.
    09-09-09 11:59 PM
    restore contacts is not an option when i mash the berry key
    09-10-09 12:00 AM
    I recently tried installing BBM 5 on a Curve. It deleted BBM among other things, so I did an update/restore on the phone. The update was successful, it restored everything on the phone and upgraded BBM to 5.0. Unfortunately, all the contacts were lost -- is there any way to restore the contact list?

I have a backup of the BlackBerry from before it was updated.
    You made the stupid mistake of trying to install BETA software and now you're asking for help!? The answer isn't so simple.

By installing a beta app you wiped out the version on your computer that was included in the OS. Now, with BBM 5 running and the files not matching with the files in the Java folder, you have made things even more complicated.

You need to stop worrying about being cool with BBM 5 and re-install your OS on the computer, then re-install your phone OS which will in turn restore BBM to it's supported version. Then do a restore from your backup file and you should be ok. But trying to restore from a backup file from a previous version will not work as the files in the Java folder are not the same now.

This is what happens when you try to be cool before learning how to use your phone first. You wind up with problems. Learn before you think. Think before you jump.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 09-10-09 at 12:12 AM.
    09-10-09 12:10 AM
    You made the stupid mistake of trying to install BETA software and now you're asking for help!? The answer isn't so simple.

By installing a beta app you wiped out the version on your computer that was included in the OS. Now, with BBM 5 running and the files not matching with the files in the Java folder, you have made things even more complicated.

You need to stop worrying about being cool with BBM 5 and re-install your OS on the computer, then re-install your phone OS which will in turn restore BBM to it's supported version. Then do a restore from your backup file and you should be ok. But trying to restore from a backup file from a previous version will not work as the files in the Java folder are not the same now.

This is what happens when you try to be cool before learning how to use your phone first. You wind up with problems. Learn before you think. Think before you jump.
    dude u really need to chillout with smashing on people regarding BBM 5 and pointing out its "beta" software and using that as an excuse everytime something goes wrong. we know your current position on the fact you dont like it and wish for no one to install it. but, 90+% of us out there did and it works PERFECTLY FINE when installed properly. deal with it. and if the OP tried installing it OTA, then the original BBM files are still installed on the computer.

as for the OP, i dont know why you posted this in the 8900 forums, as you never specified what Curve you tried installing it on. if it was on a Verizon Curve 8330, theres a reason it wont work, as its not compatible with OS 4.5.0.77 which is what they are shipped with. please specify which phone and OS you tried loading it onto. unlike what 3CISSBB said, the fix it fairly simple and you do not need to do a complete OS reinstall.

either way, the only way to restore your BBM contact list now is to complete the reinstalling of the new or old BBM, and re-loading the last backup file you made in Desktop Manager. please get back to us including what phone and what OS you installed it on and ill point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 09-10-09 at 12:46 AM.
    09-10-09 12:43 AM
    Thanks for the help, the contact list is not restored but I will be taking the Curve to the carrier store tomorrow to see if they would do it instead.

The Curve is not my phone. I successfully installed BBM 5.0 on my own phone with no problems, and it is spectacular.

I understood completely before I started that something might go wrong, that is the risk that I took. I did not know that a BlackBerry forum was not down with BlackBerry users asking technical questions. I have learned now: next time I will think before asking a specific question and providing all the necessary information -- or at least jump to a forum that is accepting of blackberry users upgrading software without being labeled as "trying to be cool," as fifth graders are.

Thank you for the advice, with your forum presence you must know what you are talking about. Maybe if the owner of the phone would rather I do it via your instructions then we wouldn't need to take it to the carrier.
    09-10-09 12:46 AM
    what phone/OS was it. you can fix it by yourself. no need for carrier involvement.
    09-10-09 12:49 AM
    dude u really need to chillout with smashing on people regarding BBM 5 and pointing out its "beta" software and using that as an excuse everytime something goes wrong. we know your current position on the fact you dont like it and wish for no one to install it. but, 90+% of us out there did and it works PERFECTLY FINE when installed properly. deal with it. and if the OP tried installing it OTA, then the original BBM files are still installed on the computer.

as for the OP, i dont know why you posted this in the 8900 forums, as you never specified what Curve you tried installing it on. if it was on a Verizon Curve 8330, theres a reason it wont work, as its not compatible with OS 4.5.0.77 which is what they are shipped with. please specify which phone and OS you tried loading it onto. unlike what 3CISSBB said, the fix it fairly simple and you do not need to do a complete OS reinstall.

either way, the only way to restore your BBM contact list now is to complete the reinstalling of the new or old BBM, and re-loading the last backup file you made in Desktop Manager. please get back to us including what phone and what OS you installed it on and ill point you in the right direction.
    It is a Curve 8330 -- that was my mistake, I was told by the owner that it was a Curve 8900, and I am not familiar with the Curve series enough to know the aesthetic differences. BBM 5 is up and running on the phone, though (after an OS update). The only real problem is the loss of the contacts list. I have a backup file saved for the original OS, 4.5.0.77.
    09-10-09 12:56 AM
    Thanks for the help, the contact list is not restored but I will be taking the Curve to the carrier store tomorrow to see if they would do it instead.

The Curve is not my phone. I successfully installed BBM 5.0 on my own phone with no problems, and it is spectacular.

I understood completely before I started that something might go wrong, that is the risk that I took. I did not know that a BlackBerry forum was not down with BlackBerry users asking technical questions. I have learned now: next time I will think before asking a specific question and providing all the necessary information -- or at least jump to a forum that is accepting of blackberry users upgrading software without being labeled as "trying to be cool," as fifth graders are.

Thank you for the advice, with your forum presence you must know what you are talking about. Maybe if the owner of the phone would rather I do it via your instructions then we wouldn't need to take it to the carrier.
    The issue is not that you asked the question, but that you asked it in the wrong forum. I gave you a link already to the proper forum to post your question on this topic.
    09-10-09 12:58 AM
    the backup file is just that. i cross use my backup files between my 8900/Bold and my old 8310. backup files will load on any of them, regardless of OS or device. feel free to load it up. just make sure the owner double checks any new contacts that werent saved. the BBM contacts should restore. if not, since its a totally new BBM version, you may have to manually re-add.
    09-10-09 01:00 AM
    The issue is not that you asked the question, but that you asked it in the wrong forum. I gave you a link already to the proper forum to post your question on this topic.
    Ah, I thought you linked me in order to find the answer there. I'll remember next time -- thanks!
    09-10-09 01:02 AM

If you are going to promote that people use 5.0 then be around more to support them when something goes wrong. Things go wrong on a daily basis but you are no where around to help them out. That is what is frustrating about the situation.
    09-10-09 01:10 AM
    Ah, I thought you linked me in order to find the answer there. I'll remember next time -- thanks!
    Its both, really. The answer is in that forum and that is also the place for all the discussion on BBM 5.0.
    09-10-09 01:12 AM
    but, 90+% of us out there did and it works PERFECTLY FINE when installed properly.
    Wow, I love the percentage. Not sure where you got it from. I can think of a few places [none of which I'll mention].

That's perfectly fine that you and so many others have it installed and working perfectly. I do as well. But there are many many users who have had nothing but problems with it. If you're going to promote it, then as aristile said, make sure you're around to help them when they do have problems. Right now; you're not around enough and myself, aristile, clint, laz and a few others are the ones picking up the pieces of the wreck.

And one last thing; don't tell me to chill out dude. One; I'm not your dude. Two; post count does not mean you know more or are smarter. Three; after you've helped over a hundred people with the same recurring issue over BBM 5, we'll come back and see if you're so gung-h0 about promoting and helping with it.
    09-10-09 01:27 PM

If you have a previous backup you can easily restore the BBM contacts from
    there using the advanced restore feature on Desktop Manager.

Click on the Backup/Restore icon on DM, and then choose the advanced
    option. You'll have to locate where the .ipd backup is. Once you find it a list
    of the titles of the backup content will show in the window. All you need to do
    is select "Blackberry Messenger" and click ">>" and whatever BBM contacts
    were on that backup will now be on your phone.

Remember, this can only be done if you actually have a previous backup.

Don't worry about posting in the wrong section of the forums. Eventually the
    mods will do their job and move threads to the proper forum. Meanwhile you
    did nothing wrong. We're here to help (some of us).
    09-10-09 02:36 PM
    but, 90+% of us out there did and it works PERFECTLY FINE when installed properly.
    90+% of who? The BB native app section is 'littered' with threads about BBM 5 problems. You really need to get your facts and figures straight. I didn't even number all of them, just 9 before I got tired of it. In fact, look at number 9 labeled Blackberry Messenger problems. Over 19,000 views at that. You think all of them are in your 90+%?

Last edited by 3CISSBB; 09-10-09 at 02:57 PM.
    09-10-09 02:52 PM
    It may not be 90% of users that are successful with the BBM 5.0 installation, but to be fair... the native apps support forum is mostly for people looking for support for their apps, not to share success stories.
    09-10-09 08:23 PM
    and if you notice, im only on really at night since this is when im at work and have the time to post. i respond to most threads in the Native Apps Forum, usually 5-10 at a time. and to continue assisting, if you noticed, i took the time to make asticky thread at the top of the forum to try to alleviate people continuously posting threads asking for help with BBM5.

the only real reoccurring issues that people complain about are the two following things, which i offered explanations for.

1.) installing it in OS 4.5.0.77, which its not compatible with. i addressed that in my FAQ thread.

2.) losing their icons after install when on a proper OS. sometimes their icon defaults back to their instant messaging folder, as it usually comes like from the factory.

again, for the record, i never said i was smarter than anyone else or my post count reflected by knowledge. im simply saying, im familiar with BBM5 installs, as ive done it on many compatible and non compatible OS's both OTA and through DM. so saying im never around to help is jack, since i spent the time to make what i think is a damn good BBM5 help thread and im on here almost all night, most nights of the week, addressing people in the native apps thread.

the only reason we are having this arguement is because of all the Verizon 0.77 people installing BBM5 and losing their BBM. theres an easy way to fix this.
    09-10-09 09:46 PM
    and if you notice, im only on really at night since this is when im at work and have the time to post. i respond to most threads in the Native Apps Forum, usually 5-10 at a time. and to continue assisting, if you noticed, i took the time to make asticky thread at the top of the forum to try to alleviate people continuously posting threads asking for help with BBM5.

the only real reoccurring issues that people complain about are the two following things, which i offered explanations for.

1.) installing it in OS 4.5.0.77, which its not compatible with. i addressed that in my FAQ thread.

2.) losing their icons after install when on a proper OS. sometimes their icon defaults back to their instant messaging folder, as it usually comes like from the factory.

again, for the record, i never said i was smarter than anyone else or my post count reflected by knowledge. im simply saying, im familiar with BBM5 installs, as ive done it on many compatible and non compatible OS's both OTA and through DM. so saying im never around to help is jack, since i spent the time to make what i think is a damn good BBM5 help thread and im on here almost all night, most nights of the week, addressing people in the native apps thread.

the only reason we are having this arguement is because of all the Verizon 0.77 people installing BBM5 and losing their BBM. theres an easy way to fix this.
    That's the issue ... most users are on asking questions during the day when you are not around.
    09-10-09 09:50 PM
    well then point them to my FAQ thread, its got all the info needed in there. i made it specifically for this reason. have u even looked it over? i mean i would really like to keep the "whos dicks bigger" attitude out of these threads and quit arguing about all this. its stupid. people are gonna install BBM 5 with or without my influence and no matter how many times you guys suggest against it. ill do my best to help them figure it out, when i can. and if i cant, my FAQ thread should help them. and it looks like so many people are having problems because everyone thats got it up and running successfully, you wont hear from.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 09-10-09 at 10:02 PM.
    09-10-09 09:59 PM
    well then point them to my FAQ thread, its got all the info needed in there. i made it specifically for this reason. have u even looked it over? i mean i would really like to keep the "whos dicks bigger" attitude out of these threads and quit arguing about all this. its stupid. people are gonna install BBM 5 with or without my influence and no matter how many times you guys suggest against it. ill do my best to help them figure it out, when i can. and if i cant, my FAQ thread should help them. and it looks like so many people are having problems because everyone thats got it up and running successfully, you wont hear from.
    Here's the deal bro. When people ask about BBM 5.0 other members and myself will redirect then to the other forum - where your how-to forum is listed. But then what happens? You then come in here at night when they are not around and encourage them to install BBM 5.0. By the time the OP reads your reply, you ar no longer available and the rest of us have to fix the problems. Why don't you link to your "FAQ" thread when you offer people help so that they are covered when they have problems instead of pushing that onto other people. Here's an idea, put a link to it in your signature and then you can easily reference that to people who need help.

P.S. Trust me, I have no worries about entering in a "whos dicks bigger" contest with you.
    09-10-09 10:31 PM
    Here's the deal bro. When people ask about BBM 5.0 other members and myself will redirect then to the other forum - where your how-to forum is listed. But then what happens? You then come in here at night when they are not around and encourage them to install BBM 5.0. By the time the OP reads your reply, you ar no longer available and the rest of us have to fix the problems. Why don't you link to your "FAQ" thread when you offer people help so that they are covered when they have problems instead of pushing that onto other people. Here's an idea, put a link to it in your signature and then you can easily reference that to people who need help.

P.S. Trust me, I have no worries about entering in a "whos dicks bigger" contest with you.
    I pick the other guy to win

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 10:33 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD