As per the topic, in the past, when I send a BBM to one of my contacts who had no reception, it would only show a checkmark with no D nor R.

Starting in July (2012), certain contacts would show an automatic red X, rather than a non-D/R checkmark.

Is this something new that RIM is doing to show who is still registered to BBM vs who is out of reception area?
    07-09-12 05:00 PM
    The red X would mean your phone didn't send the message correctly, it failed. When you get just the check mark that means that your phone successfully sent it, but it hasn't got to the recipient yet.
    07-09-12 05:11 PM
    Thanks. For a sec, I thought RIM figured out a way to filter out ppl who no longer use BBM... can't see how hard that'd be, just set a timer that de-registers them after X time. Or even better, puts it in their status.
    Last edited by koroshiyax; 07-09-12 at 05:17 PM.
    07-09-12 05:13 PM
    I recently sent a bbm to someone and got a red X, turned out they never paid their bill and their service provider cut them off.
    07-09-12 05:17 PM
    I recently sent a bbm to someone and got a red X, turned out they never paid their bill and their service provider cut them off.
    Interesting, I wonder if it has to do with actively registered PIN with a BIS/BBM plan with a carrier (regardless of owner).
    07-09-12 05:22 PM
    There are many reasons for the Red X. It could be anything from an inactive
    device, a device that is not registered to a BIS/BES network, a device that
    does not have BBM installed (yeah, you can do that), a device that is turned
    off, etc.. The only point that really is relevant however is the sending of the
    message failed.

Also, PINs are always device specific. That is, they stay with the device regardless
    of who owns said device. If a unit is sold the PIN goes with it.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-09-12 at 05:31 PM.
    07-09-12 05:28 PM
    I have a variation on the above Red X issue.

I have one BBM contact who, when I have sent a BBM to in the past few weeks, initially shows the familar "check" mark but no D or R. After a few days (approx 4) the check mark turns to the Red X.

Is this some kind of indication the message was undeliverable for some reason?

Thanks
    07-16-12 11:24 AM
    I have a variation on the above Red X issue.

I have one BBM contact who, when I have sent a BBM to in the past few weeks, initially shows the familar "check" mark but no D or R. After a few days (approx 4) the check mark turns to the Red X.

Is this some kind of indication the message was undeliverable for some reason?

Thanks
    I think (actually, huge guess) that that was because after a period of time
    the server stopped trying to send the message and returned a RED X to
    show it as being undeliverable. Again, just a guess.
    07-16-12 12:16 PM
    Thanks amazing. Your speculation sounds very reasonable and is a theory I had considered myself.

This particular contact I speak of does go "underground" for lengthy periods of time so having their phone off or out of range would be very likely. Its helpful for us to have this discussion amongst ourselves to better discover and learn the features and issues BBM has or does not have. If your theory is correct, what we have learned is that BBM does have limitations as to how long it will "store" a message for delivery. I guess in a perfect BBM world, it would attempt delivery "forever" or until that BB account were cancelled. For what its worth, I have attempted to send another BBM to this contact and once again after about 4 days it went to the Red X. So 4 days may be a rough estimate of how long BBM will attempt delivery.

Thanks again for your input.
    07-19-12 09:55 AM
    Was goint to start a new thread but while we're on this topic here, I was wondering when the "R" indicator is set.

Specifically, if I'm in a bbm conversation and the bbm screen is being displayed does a message received automatically get reported as read? I assume yes.

What if I my screen time's out and locks or I switch to a different app but keep the conversation open?

And finally, what if I view the bbm message in my inbox (not selecting it and switching to bbm but just view the one-liner in my unified inbox)?
    07-19-12 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD