07-08-11 08:17 AM
49 12
tools
    Rim messenger I hardley ever use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's BBM. BlackBerry Messenger. If you don't like your blackberry, why not sell it and get a droid without bashing on rim? Why not update your OS to 6.0.0.600? Tried battery pulls to fix the lag? Ever even tried wiping and reloading the OS with BBSAK? It can all be done and things can be fixed.

Also, you could always install nimbuzz or implus/lite for multi-messenger protocals.

07-06-11 07:33 PM
    It's BBM. BlackBerry Messenger. If you don't like your blackberry, why not sell it and get a droid without bashing on rim? Why not update your OS to 6.0.0.600? Tried battery pulls to fix the lag? Ever even tried wiping and reloading the OS with BBSAK? It can all be done and things can be fixed.
    Of course none of this stuff is ever needed with an iPhone. They just work. No I don't have one but my wife does and we have a couple of iPads. They all do "what is written on the tin" to quote another poster on crackberry (talking about Blackberries).
    07-06-11 07:39 PM
    Of course none of this stuff is ever needed with an iPhone. They just work. No I don't have one but my wife does and we have a couple of iPads. They all do "what is written on the tin" to quote another poster on crackberry (talking about Blackberries).
    It's because Iphone doesn't allow proper multitasking, because iphone browser doesn't store every web page you visit and makes it available off line, if you never clean the cache in browser, facebook and twitter app it will build up to quite a lot. Does iphone save attachment data without actually you saving the files? I'm not sure if it does but BB does and it can build up to a lot.

BB gives you the control over these things, if you don't use that control and clear the memory it will build up and slow your device down.

BB needs user maintenance.

07-07-11 03:50 AM
    It's because Iphone doesn't allow proper multitasking, because iphone browser doesn't store every web page you visit and makes it available off line, if you never clean the cache in browser, facebook and twitter app it will build up to quite a lot. Does iphone save attachment data without actually you saving the files? I'm not sure if it does but BB does and it can build up to a lot.

BB gives you the control over these things, if you don't use that control and clear the memory it will build up and slow your device down.

BB needs user maintenance.

It seems that Apple may have built a device more suitable for the average user.
    07-07-11 07:15 AM
    It seems that Apple may have built a device more suitable for the average user.
    Kind of pointing out the obvious aren't you?

07-07-11 07:33 AM
    Rim needs to fix the WIFI issues they are having & 9650 seems to be there worse. People are leaving Rim because of issues like that.

Oh look, they released another OS, and it DOESN'T HAVE THE WIFI ISSUE
    07-07-11 07:33 AM
    Kind of pointing out the obvious aren't you?

Perhaps. As the thread title says, "The Reason BB is Losing Market Share is Simple".
    07-07-11 07:39 AM
    Perhaps. As the thread title says, "The Reason BB is Losing Market Share is Simple".
    Give it a rest with this markeshare, it doesn't mean anything, Rim is not loosing subscribers, it's gaining new subscribers all the time.

07-07-11 08:16 AM
    Give it a rest with this markeshare, it doesn't mean anything, Rim is not loosing subscribers, it's gaining new subscribers all the time.

This thread is supposed to be about RIM's market share. It's nonsense to suggest that shrinking market share is meaningless. Losing market share is a leading indicator that a company may be in trouble. More importantly, RIM is no longer just losing market share in the US, it is losing subscribers.
    07-07-11 08:26 AM
    Everyone is losing subscribers, even if they are ultimately gaining more than they lose, as seems to be the case with RIM. But RIM isn't gaining enough new subscribers to maintain or build its share, which is troubling, especially since the new subscribers they do have are favoring the lower-end devices (RIM's BB ASP has fallen from $371 to $279 in less than two years). Their ASP is now below HTC (which is ~$350) and well below Apple ($625). That RIM now looks up at HTC in per-device revenue and must sell 2.2 devices to receive the revenue of one iPhone suggests RIM's market is increasingly low-end.
    07-07-11 08:38 AM
    Everyone is losing subscribers, even if they are ultimately gaining more than they lose, as seems to be the case with RIM. But RIM isn't gaining enough new subscribers to maintain or build its share, which is troubling, especially since the new subscribers they do have are favoring the lower-end devices (RIM's BB ASP has fallen from $371 to $279 in less than two years). Their ASP is now below HTC (which is ~$350) and well below Apple ($625). That RIM now looks up at HTC in per-device revenue and must sell 2.2 devices to receive the revenue of one iPhone suggests RIM's market is increasingly low-end.
    1. Globaly Rim is gaining active subscribers, high end, low end, what does it matter?
    2. Rim also gets a cut of the BIS and BES data plans which means if a user decides to use a handset for 5 years Rim still gets a service charge for it every month. When HTC sells a device they have to sell that same user another one within 2 years as it makes absolutely nothing else out of it other then the initial sale price. At least Apple gets a cut from all the apps that the iphone user no doubt will buy.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-07-11 at 09:19 AM.
    07-07-11 09:16 AM
    Here is why RIM is ultimately losing me as a user. I have had a 9630 for more than two years. It has been incredibly durable, surviving several drops to concrete without a hickup. I love BBM, I love that my e-mail always works, the call quality, that my calls don't get dropped, and when working correctly, battery life. The problem is my phone is dying. Despite a new battery, it won't make it more than 1/2 a day on a charge, the trackball is glitchy, and is has started crashing. I have waited, and waited, and waited for newer BB, but there isn't even a release date for new phones.

The final straw for me is cost. In order to fully have exchange synched on my blackberry, I not only have to pay $10 a month to the hosting company, but another $20 per month to sprint for blackberry biz. Both the Iphone and Androids do it for free.

So what are my choices, it looks like Android or the Iphone. I thought the Nexus 4gs was the ticket, but it can't seem to keep a signal. The new Samsung Galaxy S2 looks pretty good, but I don't need a big screen TV of a phone and the call quality is merely ok. Then I look at the Android OS, it is like the linux of the computer world; powerful, adaptable, and great for people that want to customize. I'm not one of those people, I just want my phone to work with minimal fuss. That leaves one choice, the Iphone. I think the Iphone is a neat device, but for the life of me, don't understand why there is no message led. At the end of the day though, unless BB gets something to replace my 9630 on the market by September, I will be moving to the new Iphone when it comes out.
    07-07-11 11:15 AM
    The final straw for me is cost. In order to fully have exchange synched on my blackberry, I not only have to pay $10 a month to the hosting company, but another $20 per month to sprint for blackberry biz. Both the Iphone and Androids do it for free.
    I just host my email with google and live with the imperfections. I wouldn't pay an extra $30 a month for the priviledge of using a BB.
    07-07-11 11:26 AM
    Well well, what do you know:

http://m.crackberry.com/rim-adds-ove...a-less-3-weeks

People will still argue with this I bet.

07-07-11 11:57 AM
    I just host my email with google and live with the imperfections. I wouldn't pay an extra $30 a month for the priviledge of using a BB.
    I agree, but at work I don't have a choice. I have used the google synch app which works somewhat ok, but now that I have an Ipad with both my google and exchange accounts, I don't want it to loop and add stuff to my gmail calendar.
    07-07-11 12:01 PM
    I agree, but at work I don't have a choice. I have used the google synch app which works somewhat ok, but now that I have an Ipad with both my google and exchange accounts, I don't want it to loop and add stuff to my gmail calendar.
    Sounds like an iPhone is your best option.
    07-07-11 12:34 PM
    1. Globaly Rim is gaining active subscribers, high end, low end, what does it matter?
    It matters because the low-end subscribers provide less revenue and profit.

2. Rim also gets a cut of the BIS and BES data plans which means if a user decides to use a handset for 5 years Rim still gets a service charge for it every month.
    And yet, though their revenue jumped 15% last quarter year over year, their profit fell by 10%, despite adding the PlayBook. So what happened?

At least Apple gets a cut from all the apps that the iphone user no doubt will buy.
    The cut Apple receives from app sales is insignificant. The 30% cut on paid apps has to pay for the entire app store, including serving all apps and updates (even the free apps). App Store revenue last year was approximately $1.8 billion, so 30% is a mere $540 million, which is about 1% of Apple's total revenue and less than $150 million per quarter. Meanwhile, the iPhone alone generated $12 billion in revenue just last quarter, with $3 billion in profit.The software is there to sell the hardware, not the other around.
    07-07-11 02:24 PM

And yet, though their revenue jumped 15% last quarter year over year, their profit fell by 10%, despite adding the PlayBook. So what happened?

The cut Apple receives from app sales is insignificant. The 30% cut on paid apps has to pay for the entire app store, including serving all apps and updates (even the free apps). App Store revenue last year was approximately $1.8 billion, so 30% is a mere $540 million, which is about 1% of Apple's total revenue and less than $150 million per quarter. Meanwhile, the iPhone alone generated $12 billion in revenue just last quarter, with $3 billion in profit.The software is there to sell the hardware, not the other around.
    Sure, Apple's profits are big, doesn't that mean they're ripping their customers off?

07-07-11 02:42 PM
    Sure, Apple's profits are big, doesn't that mean they're ripping their customers off?

Of course not. As with any company that sells a product which customers are free to ignore if they choose, it's hard to argue that anyone is getting ripped off. It's not like consumers are diabetics and Apple is the only insulin maker.
    07-07-11 02:50 PM
    The reason that RIM is losing market share boils down to the decisions, attitude, and personalities of the co-CEO's. Those clowns need to GO!
    07-07-11 02:56 PM
    Yes but RIM also makes money on each active subscriber per month. Last figure I heard was $5 per month per user, and 48,000,000 active subscribers was the last figure I heard. Also these lower end phones are cheaper to make than a high end phone so you can sell them for less and still make money.

They made a lot of acquisitions this quarter. All those acquisitions cost money and eat into the profit. Plus their was a Playbook launch which costs money and they didn't have strong sales off of that money spent. So they brought in 15% more total, but obvious spent a lot more than they usually do. It isn't all attributed to the ASP of the phones.

Anyway they should see nice sales jump when the new phones come out in the US.
    07-07-11 03:18 PM
    Yes but RIM also makes money on each active subscriber per month. Last figure I heard was $5 per month per user, and 48,000,000 active subscribers was the last figure I heard. Also these lower end phones are cheaper to make than a high end phone so you can sell them for less and still make money.

They made a lot of acquisitions this quarter. All those acquisitions cost money and eat into the profit. Plus their was a Playbook launch which costs money and they didn't have strong sales off of that money spent. So they brought in 15% more total, but obvious spent a lot more than they usually do. It isn't all attributed to the ASP of the phones.

Anyway they should see nice sales jump when the new phones come out in the US.
    68 million last time I heard.

07-07-11 03:46 PM
    Also these lower end phones are cheaper to make than a high end phone so you can sell them for less and still make money.
    If the lower costs involved made manufacturing lower-end phones profitable, why are manufacturers moving towards smartphones? Obviously there is a business advantage to high-end hardware sales.

They made a lot of acquisitions this quarter. All those acquisitions cost money and eat into the profit.
    You haven't reviewed their financials, because if you had, you'd know what you're claiming here is not true. According to their financial report, "acquisition costs" were $30 million last quarter (Q1 2012). Even if we add that back in, they're still down year over year. Care to guess what they were in the same quarter last year (Q1 2011), the one were they made less revenue and more profit? $270 million. Q4 2011? $161 million.

http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...nformation.pdf

So they brought in 15% more total, but obvious spent a lot more than they usually do. It isn't all attributed to the ASP of the phones.
    No, they didn't spent "a lot" more than they usually do, at least not on acquisitions. In fact, as described above, they spent considerably less than they normally do. As for PlayBooks, they "shipped" 500K, so I assume there was some profit. So, despite spending $240 million less on acquisitions this last quarter than in the previous year, and despite shipping 500K PlayBooks, their profit still declined.

As for phone ASP, no, it's not all that. But RIM builds and sells phones as its primary business. They don't sell computers, or networking hardware, or standalone software. Therefore, you can tell how their business is going by considering the number of phones sold and the revenue those devices generate, and per-device revenue is declining. That's just the way it is.
    Last edited by Economist101; 07-07-11 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo
    lssanjose likes this.
    07-07-11 04:37 PM
    If the lower costs involved made manufacturing lower-end phones profitable, why are manufacturers moving towards smartphones? Obviously there is a business advantage to high-end hardware sales.
    Not implying that they shouldn't focus or ignore high end. Apple and Android have shown there is a huge market there and that is what the US smartphone market demands. Just that as a high end phone ages and becomes mid-to-low there is still a market for it (like Apple with the iPhone 3GS). RIM was definitely hurt because they aren't selling phones new high end phones here in North America and everyone waiting for a phone from RIM worth buying.

You haven't reviewed their financials, because if you had,
    Nope was totally making assumptions there based on all the recent acquisition news and I stand corrected.
    07-08-11 08:17 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD