07-08-11 09:17 AM
49 12
tools
    The main reason BB is losing market share is simply because 1) Apple has only 2 have products to manage,....at least two products in the same market as RIM and we all know that the iPad is King Tablet. Apple throws a lot of resources into the iPhone and the reward is great for them. RIM not only has to contend with Apple, but also the various Mfrs churning out Android phones like iHop does pancakes. Lets see, you have HTC, Motorola, and Samsung and all three markets several versions of Androids that are widely available from the Big 4 carriers and many sub-carriers. RIM's base is getting older and Androids base just got a job at McDonalds so he or she can fund the purchase of their Android. THey can care less about BIS. I believe that RIM can hold their own quite well against say,...the iPhone and one Android device from each of the mentioned mfrs,...but they are in for a bullfight against 3 competitors that have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I've said it earlier on the Forum and I'll say it again,...RIM needs a Motorola Atrix type of device. New devices must be all about 'speed',...just as PC mfrs sold millions of PCS with race car background photos, RIM will need to step up their game. Trust me,....I have a 9800,...and I honestly don't think I can part with all that it capable of doing. However, I also have an Atrix,...that I've been test driving for about 28 days (and don't think I'll be taking it back,...nor giving up my BB). I wish I could some how merge the two and I'd have one awesome device for many to envy!

That said, I'll simply wait and hope that RIM releases a "speedster" BB that can go head-to-head with the Atrix and other 'Droids. Also, before the moderators and others stomp on this thread,...yes, the Atrix can easily make it through the day on one charge. In fact, the battery usage,...for me for both devices is a dead heat.

C'mon RIM,...knock our socks off with something speciall,....go ahead and take the gloves over and pound those other wannabes righ smak in the eye!.

JMD
    ...still have BB Torch,...still traveling~
    07-06-11 07:30 AM
    The reason RIM is losing market share is they are not offering the consumer any compelling reason to use one other than the keyboard.
    trsbbs and kevinnugent like this.
    07-06-11 10:44 AM
    exactly ADG, i usually dont get in to these flame/rant threads but RIM needs to make the device more consumer appealling, thats #1 reason for their falling share.
    07-06-11 10:49 AM
    No big surprises here. Everyone knows that RIM has been resting on their laurels for way too long. I see them losing on two fronts. The consumer left first. Now its the "pro-sumer". Professionals who discovered that iPhone and android can connect to their office exchange accounts without having to get that special BES plan. And smaller companies, like the office I work at, found that they can dump that money drain called BES Server, buy all the partners iPhones, and everyone can stay connected the same as before without the extra huge BES cost of both the server and data plans on all the phones. In this economy, I'm sure we aren't the only business doing this. My office will only buy the partners their own phone, but will let all employees access the exchange email. Because I am the only one still using a BB, I can only use the OWA to get email only with my BIS (which thankfully doesn't cost me extra), while everyone else can get email folders, contact and calendar OTA syncing with no extra effort.

That's how I see RIM losing ground. And I think it would be harder to gain that broad business use back without offering native exchange access in BIS. None of the companies that left BES will ever go back now. BES Express came a little too late.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by joeldf; 07-06-11 at 01:23 PM.
    07-06-11 01:13 PM
    Rim needs to fix the WIFI issues they are having & 9650 seems to be there worse. People are leaving Rim because of issues like that.

Last edited by jerry12; 07-06-11 at 01:19 PM.
    07-06-11 01:16 PM
    They are losing share because people got tired of refresh after refresh with little refreshed between devices. They suddenly realized, last year apparently, that people demanded more from phones (shocking I know) and that they had to scrap the next batch of refreshes and we've had no phones and waiting for OS7, which isn't too compelling. You won't see phones that have a chance truly compete with the media, web and app experience of Android and iPhones until QNX phones are here in 2012.
    07-06-11 01:47 PM
    That said, I'll simply wait and hope that RIM releases a "speedster" BB that can go head-to-head with the Atrix and other 'Droids. Also, before the moderators and others stomp on this thread,...yes, the Atrix can easily make it through the day on one charge. In fact, the battery usage,...for me for both devices is a dead heat.

C'mon RIM,...knock our socks off with something speciall,....go ahead and take the gloves over and pound those other wannabes righ smak in the eye!.

JMD
    ...still have BB Torch,...still traveling~
    It is no problem competing with the Atrix. Mine came to a screeching halt three weeks into usage. I returned to my (on paper) lesser specd device; of course I had to beg my Torch's forgiveness for my indiscretion.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-06-11 01:57 PM
    The reason RIM is losing market share is they are not offering the consumer any compelling reason to use one other than the keyboard.
    I am a consumer. I buy BB devices because of may reasons. Only one of those reasons was the keyboard.
    07-06-11 01:59 PM
    That's how I see RIM losing ground. And I think it would be harder to gain that broad business use back without offering native exchange access in BIS. None of the companies that left BES will ever go back now. BES Express came a little too late.
    This to me is the biggest problem with RIM, BES/BIS. As you say, they need to build exchange access into BIS (and improve the Google mail/contacts/calendar access). Alternatively, give us direct on device to EAS.
    07-06-11 02:16 PM
    I am a consumer. I buy BB devices because of may reasons. Only one of those reasons was the keyboard.
    What are the others?
    07-06-11 02:17 PM
    Rim needs to fix the WIFI issues they are having & 9650 seems to be there worse. People are leaving Rim because of issues like that.

How many times are you going to post this??? Your issue has been fixed.

UPDATE YOUR OS!
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    07-06-11 02:20 PM
    @ADGrant
    Communication (to include BBM)
    Profiles
    Notifications
    *not* open source
    Calendar ease of use'
    Battery life
    Keyboard

Off the top of my head while on a teleconference.
    07-06-11 02:22 PM
    @ADGrant
    Communication (to include BBM)
    Profiles
    Notifications
    *not* open source
    Calendar ease of use'
    Battery life
    Keyboard

Off the top of my head while on a teleconference.
    Aside from profiles and the keyboard, all those things are available on other platforms. Profiles are great, but not enough to keep most consumers loyal to BB.
    07-06-11 02:26 PM
    It's not a matter of availability. It's a matter of my preference of the way the platform delivers the functionality.
    Add notifications to the mix also. There was not way for me to obtain similar notification choices on my Atrix; they simply were not as deep.
    Battery life on the iPhone4 is fantastic but it was nowhere near as good on the Atrix.
    07-06-11 02:48 PM
    They're also loosing market share due to the lack of new devices. Verizon's newest BlackBerry is the 9650 :s

The Torch is almost a year old too (GSM).

Aside from them being "cheap" on a contract, and BBM, there isn't anything enticing on any carrier.

Hopefully the next 3 devices (T2, Monaco and Bold Touch) will help a bit...but with a QNX powered phone still 6 months plus away...the loses will contunue in North America.

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com

07-06-11 04:46 PM
    Why are there so many threads on this... There are no new devices to sell...
    07-06-11 04:51 PM
    It's not a matter of availability. It's a matter of my preference of the way the platform delivers the functionality.
    Add notifications to the mix also. There was not way for me to obtain similar notification choices on my Atrix; they simply were not as deep.
    Battery life on the iPhone4 is fantastic but it was nowhere near as good on the Atrix.
    To me the disadvantages of BIS outweigh everything on your list but the keyboard.
    Aside from profiles and the keyboard, all those things are available on other platforms. Profiles are great, but not enough to keep most consumers loyal to BB.
    That's like saying all cars are the same because the all have four tires, a steering wheel and a parking brake.
    That's like saying all cars are the same because the all have four tires, a steering wheel and a parking brake.
    They are compared to a car which lacks a steering wheel and requires you to steer which a touch screen.
    07-06-11 04:53 PM
    To me the disadvantages of BIS outweigh everything on your list but the keyboard.
    Ah!!! That's what makes life interesting....to me any and all such perceived disadvantages of BIS are easily overlooked in favour of everything on the list.
    07-06-11 04:58 PM
    Why are there so many threads on this... There are no new devices to sell...
    Slow news day in other platforms....
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    07-06-11 04:59 PM
    Agreed on the refresh after refresh with nothing really different or compelling enough to change.

As for what keeps some of us on the Berry, here's my top 5 list:

1. UMA
    2. Blackberry Bridge
    3. BBM
    4. Simplicity of use - from shortcuts to dialing, to universal search its just easier on BB.
    5. Notifications
    07-06-11 05:03 PM
    Agreed on the refresh after refresh with nothing really different or compelling enough to change.

As for what keeps some of us on the Berry, here's my top 5 list:

1. UMA
    2. Blackberry Bridge
    3. BBM
    4. Simplicity of use - from shortcuts to dialing, to universal search its just easier on BB.
    5. Notifications
    4 I agree with, its part of the BB OS's keyboard driven UI.
    07-06-11 05:16 PM
    The reason RIM is losing market share is because they, along with Nokia, were pretty much the only companies which had market share to lose. Now that Apple and the Android collective have been offering products over the last 5 years, of course RIM and Nokia will lose some of their share. Where else could it come from? The market is simply leveling out.

Ford lost a lot of market share in the mid 20th century too.
    07-06-11 06:18 PM
    Rim messenger I hardley ever use it.

07-06-11 06:26 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD