Thanks to audit01 for clarifying this issue.

For those "social users" out there using BIS and don't have BES, there is still hope for real time email!

Quick Steps:

1. In BIS set up a blackberry email address

2. Set your personal pop 3 email to forward to the blackberry address created in step1. Make sure you find the option for "store and forward" so you still have a copy in your pop 3.

3. In BIS set the "reply to" address as your pop 3. This will make sure that when you reply to an email it will say it was from your pop 3 and not blackberry.net email.

This will allow real time email with your pop 3.

Full Post:

Question:

So I had Wireless Sync on the XV6600 then the 6700 for a few years. Got tired of the unreliability and ever changing time delay of the email transmissions. Sometimes it was fast sometimes it took an hour. So i just switched to BIS with the 8830. Again, the same thing with incoming emails. Outgoing seems to be instant but incoming ranges from instant to 15-20 minutes.

I did the auto set-up and then checked the settings it "auto set. The mail server was auto-set as imap.server.com instead of mail.server.com. I tried both and they both work with same delays.

I guess the question is...is there a web based email service for phones that is instant? Or is the only solution a server based program such as BES, or AT&T's Good messing?

Answer:

Unless your forwarding your e-mail to your blackberry.net or gmail.com address, it can take up to 15 minutes for BIS to pick it up and send to your Blackberry. Some people have noticed that it's starting to become instant on IMAP accounts but POP3 will NEVER be instant as that's a polling service.

Question:

2 Follow ups based on your response:

1. If I forward to my blackberry.net email, can I reply with my email address? Or will it reply from blackberry.net address? Didn't set it up yet can I do it from the BIS control panel?

2. Why would gmail be instant? I don't have one believe it or not, but is that feature in the options?

Answer:

Yes you can reply with your e-mail address, that's all setup in the BIS panel.

Gmail has always been instant for some reason, nobody can explain why but we know that it works and works GREAT so we don't complain.

Question:

I set it up and it worked really fast. I didn't use gmail. I just set up my pop3 email address to forward to my vzw.blackberry.net.

So the last question is do i still need to set up my regular pop3 email address in BIS anymore? It seems redundant, it is is being forwarded at the pop 3 server to vzw.blackberry.net email....Your thoughts?

Answer:

I forward my primary e-mail to my vzw.blackberry.net and keep copy for it to download to my Outlook when I'm at my computer so no there's not really any reason to have POP3 setup in BIS anymore.
    07-29-07 10:34 AM
    For step #3 of the first one, how do I log into BIS? Via phone or Internet from office computer? I've looked all through the phone, even trying to edit my blackberry.net address with no luck.

Will this work for multiple pop3 email accounts that I have? I'd like to be able to send a reply email from any one of my different pop3 accounts?

Thanks.

Thanks to audit01 for clarifying this issue.

For those "social users" out there using BIS and don't have BES, there is still hope for real time email!

Quick Steps:

1. In BIS set up a blackberry email address

2. Set your personal pop 3 email to forward to the blackberry address created in step1. Make sure you find the option for "store and forward" so you still have a copy in your pop 3.

3. In BIS set the "reply to" address as your pop 3. This will make sure that when you reply to an email it will say it was from your pop 3 and not blackberry.net email.

This will allow real time email with your pop 3.

Full Post:

Question:

So I had Wireless Sync on the XV6600 then the 6700 for a few years. Got tired of the unreliability and ever changing time delay of the email transmissions. Sometimes it was fast sometimes it took an hour. So i just switched to BIS with the 8830. Again, the same thing with incoming emails. Outgoing seems to be instant but incoming ranges from instant to 15-20 minutes.

I did the auto set-up and then checked the settings it "auto set. The mail server was auto-set as imap.server.com instead of mail.server.com. I tried both and they both work with same delays.

I guess the question is...is there a web based email service for phones that is instant? Or is the only solution a server based program such as BES, or AT&T's Good messing?

Answer:

Unless your forwarding your e-mail to your blackberry.net or gmail.com address, it can take up to 15 minutes for BIS to pick it up and send to your Blackberry. Some people have noticed that it's starting to become instant on IMAP accounts but POP3 will NEVER be instant as that's a polling service.

Question:

2 Follow ups based on your response:

1. If I forward to my blackberry.net email, can I reply with my email address? Or will it reply from blackberry.net address? Didn't set it up yet can I do it from the BIS control panel?

2. Why would gmail be instant? I don't have one believe it or not, but is that feature in the options?

Answer:

Yes you can reply with your e-mail address, that's all setup in the BIS panel.

Gmail has always been instant for some reason, nobody can explain why but we know that it works and works GREAT so we don't complain.

Question:

I set it up and it worked really fast. I didn't use gmail. I just set up my pop3 email address to forward to my vzw.blackberry.net.

So the last question is do i still need to set up my regular pop3 email address in BIS anymore? It seems redundant, it is is being forwarded at the pop 3 server to vzw.blackberry.net email....Your thoughts?

Answer:

I forward my primary e-mail to my vzw.blackberry.net and keep copy for it to download to my Outlook when I'm at my computer so no there's not really any reason to have POP3 setup in BIS anymore.
    10-21-07 02:42 AM
    I have followed the directions but the link from hot mail is broken and I am unable to confirm on my 8100 that I am the account owner and give permission to forward the hot mail to my bb.
    CAn you please explain to me how to cut and paste the link to my browser?
    Thanks!!!
    10-21-07 11:04 AM
    I followed the forwarding instructions and everything works but I get an 'delivery status notification (failure)' saying my bb.net address has an 'unknown address error'.
    03-14-10 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD