There's cross-platform IM's that RIM should consider major competition; Whatsapp?, LiveProfile, Hookt, etc...

RIM should consider opening up BBM (which NO ONE really wants to happen).

As an alternative I suggest RIM keep BBM limited to handsets, BUT acquire one of the cross-platforms (my preference for LiveProfile, Hookt), and call it BBM+, include it in the handsets, and sell it as an added feature.

LiveProfile, because the UI is attractive and sort of resembles BB.
    Hookt because it has the added desktop feature.
    Both offer pin numbers like BBM

Though that isn't the most cost-effective solution, it will remove a competitor(s), and offer RIM a cross-platform capability. Plus the coveted Patents that the competition may possibly have.

Just don't have ALL BBM features on BBM+ to differentiate and reinforce the added benefits of owning a handset.

RIM could even add a profile webpage for the BBM+ user, to enhance attractiveness.

Other things RIM NEEDS to do:
    - FULLY integrate Gist (company they acquired, app you can download) into the OS, handset and tablet. I'm sure the unified contacts uses some of this apps tech...

-Make a media program like Quicktime to make viewing video from the Internet a better experience.

-FIRE AND THE ENTIRE MARKETING DEPARTMENT.

-HIRE Apples advertising firm.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Searzy; 03-17-12 at 04:39 PM.
    03-17-12 04:26 PM
    Just got back from the pub were I had corn beef & cabbage with about 7 Guinness....and...and..ohboy never mind.
    03-17-12 04:43 PM
    Opening up Bbm would be a bad move in my opinion... Nearly every teenager in the uk buys the blackberry because of Bbm... Then when you figure out that iPhone or android devices have got it.. There will b little holding them back to switch... None of these kids use email enough on their phone to worry about that kind of stuff which bb does very well
    03-17-12 05:02 PM

Just don't have ALL BBM features on BBM+ to differentiate and reinforce the added benefits of owning a handset.

-FIRE AND THE ENTIRE MARKETING DEPARTMENT.

-HIRE Apples advertising firm.

Thoughts?
    I absolutely agree with your last 2 suggestions.
    What features would you leave out in the cross platform version?
    03-17-12 06:00 PM
    What features would you leave out in the cross platform version?

It would make sense to leave out the advanced features, like file sharing, however most of the crosses have video / pic sharing already...

RIM could stress that BBM is encrypted, but maybe not BBM+?
    03-17-12 06:05 PM
    I would like to see BBM enabled for use on a PC, not just on a handheld device. I can use Gtalk or Yahoo Messenger on the PC. When I am working on the PC, I would prefer to not have to pick up the BlackBerry just for BBM, when everything else (other IM/email/Twitter) can be done on the PC. In that respect it is a hassle to leave what I'm doing on the PC to pick up the BlackBerry. PCs multitask everything else. Why not add BBM to the mix?
    03-17-12 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD