hey guys. Wondering about the new BBM 5.0 and what you all expect. I know there will be an sms feature in BBM 5.0 but will you be able to text non-blackberry users? Will it sync with your blackberry contact list or something?
    If so how will you prevent it from notifying you of both a new sms and a new bbm?

Thanks!
    10-06-09 01:27 AM
    I think you're a little confused. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but...

OS 5.0 is going to have threaded sms BBM 5.0 will have threaded messages.

They are two different things. BBM is only for Blackberry to Blackberry messaging. When OS 5.0 comes out it will have threaded SMS.
    10-06-09 01:37 AM
    I do believe you are correct, that is how it is working now on OS 5.0
    10-06-09 01:39 AM
    I think you're a little confused. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but...

OS 5.0 is going to have threaded sms BBM 5.0 will have threaded messages.

They are two different things. BBM is only for Blackberry to Blackberry messaging. When OS 5.0 comes out it will have threaded SMS.
    You got it. That is how it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 01:44 AM
    DMG is right. But you can start to add phone numbers to text from BBM5. instead of just PINS.
    10-06-09 01:46 AM
    hmm:

(from front blog)

Features:

* Enhanced SMS -Allows for a conversational chat-like user experience with a single contact list for the most personal mobile-to-mobile communications
    o Note: BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and later is required for the SMS functionality.
    * Avatars - Users can choose a picture from the BlackBerry Smartphone gallery and save it as their personal avatar, which will be seen by their contacts. They can also view other avatars in the contact list and zoom in on the avatars of contacts participating in a conversation by selecting "View participants."
    * Large Media File Transfer - Users can send/receive large file transfers up to 6 megabytes for pictures, files and audio.
    o Note: BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 is required to receive large media files.
    * Enhanced Group Functionality - Allows for the ability to update, share & communicate with a subset community.
    * Bar-code Identity - A user can add a contact to the BlackBerry Messenger contact list by displaying a 2-dimensional bar code that invitees can capture with their device cameras.
    * Reliable Contact Backup and Restore - Contacts are backed-up on a server and do not require the need for BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

i think this means that, if u go into bbm (current leaked 5.0 builds do not hav this feature) n click on add contact > u can add a contact by pin/emails/phone/barcode
    10-06-09 01:48 AM
    DriftDevil:
    Right, thats what I mean! So will you be able to text non blackberry users if you can add people by phone number?
    10-06-09 01:51 AM
    It might link to your sms somehow. I can't wait. We will know in about 30 hours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 01:55 AM
    DriftDevil:
    Right, thats what I mean! So will you be able to text non blackberry users if you can add people by phone number?
    Yes you can.
    10-06-09 01:55 AM
    Hail to the almighty BLACKBERRY
    10-12-09 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD