I currently have a Blackberry 9700 and am selling it in 3 days,then i get back to my Nokia and wait for the 9780 to come out and then buy 9780.
    But am concerned about my Blackberry Messenger Contacts, i have already backed them up using email but someone told me that if i go to the new 9780 it would retrieve the old contacts and as well retrieve the PIN of the old 9700 i.e i get to use the PIN of the 9700 on the 9780 is this true?
    One of my friend did that from his storm to 9700 and i was able to chat with him on the 9700 using his old PIN of Storm... (though i didnt know he restored his contacts )

And if i back them up using the Desktop Software on my Mac,can i retrieve the contacts and still use the PIN of the 9780?
    Am selling the 9700 to someone he is going to use it,so i intend to backup all the contacts and delete them from the 9700 when i hope they are retrieved in the 9780 and still chat with them normally without having to re-add them

P.S I hate to Re-add everybody again

And i cant use the transfer content from 9700 to 9780 as i could sell it and wait before the 9780 is out

Also, how do i disable the remote backup,would deleting the backup files help?
    10-14-10 07:45 PM
    The PIN is hardwired to the blackberry, it cannot be transferred. Backing up all of your BBM contacts using desktop manager will make a backup file. You can use that to restore the data on the 9700, but not the 9780. In my opinion, the 9780 is a REFRESH 9700. Meaning, you'll have a higher MP camera and double the memory (512MB). That's really all it, since they're practically the same device.

Just wait it out until you get a torch, or keep the 9700. It'll last you for years to come.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 08:49 PM
    ... desktop manager will make a backup file. You can use that to restore the data on the 9700, but not the 9780.
    Incorrect. You can use the backup to restore your data on any modern BlackBerry.

In my opinion, the 9780 is a REFRESH 9700. Meaning, you'll have a higher MP camera and double the memory (512MB). That's really all it, since they're practically the same device.

Just wait it out until you get a torch, or keep the 9700. It'll last you for years to come.
    It's not really an opinion thing... the 9780 is completely billed as a 9700 Refresh. The other differences that come to mind are Wireless-N and the purely cosmetic change of a darker bezel. (Darker bezel not a big deal—I'm just sayin'!)

The memory being doubled is a big deal for many. I keep a lot of apps & themes on device. After a lot of OS shrinking, I still only had 70-ish MB left on my 9700. BB6 will be larger than OS 5.0, leaving a worry about open memory, and especially open RAM, in the BB6 era with a 9700.

More megapixels, meh. You're right that this is not a big deal.
    Last edited by elite1; 10-22-10 at 09:52 PM.
    10-15-10 02:39 AM
    concerned about my Blackberry Messenger Contacts, i have already backed them up using email but someone told me that if i go to the new 9780 it would retrieve the old contacts and as well retrieve the PIN of the old 9700 i.e i get to use the PIN of the 9700 on the 9780 is this true?
    One of my friend did that from his storm to 9700 and i was able to chat with him on the 9700 using his old PIN of Storm... (though i didnt know he restored his contacts )
    You have either misunderstood your friend or he is misinformed, but this topic is easy to misunderstand. This is what Remote Backup does. If you have Remote Backup enabled on your 9700, when you get your 9780 and select Restore from the BBM Options, it will automatically re-populate your BBM Contact list AND update your PIN within all your contacts' Contact List. Yes, seriously. Sometimes it might leave a double-entry, one with the new PIN and one with the old.

So it will NOT transfer your PIN. Each device has a unique, non-transferable PIN.

And if i back them up using the Desktop Software on my Mac,can i retrieve the contacts and still use the PIN of the 9780?
    Am selling the 9700 to someone he is going to use it,so i intend to backup all the contacts and delete them from the 9700 when i hope they are retrieved in the 9780 and still chat with them normally without having to re-add them

P.S I hate to Re-add everybody again
    Again, "using" the PIN of your device is not a choice. Your device has its own PIN and that's that.

You shouldn't have to re-add your BBM contacts unless they delete you as a Contact while you're "gone."

To be safe, make sure each BBM contact is linked to a Contact card, even if that's the only info you have for a person.
    That way if the backup/restore process somehow fails, you will at least have everyone's PINs to expedite the re-add process. Shouldn't be necessary, but can't hurt, just in case.

And i cant use the transfer content from 9700 to 9780 as i could sell it and wait before the 9780 is out
    You can absolutely do this, unless DM for Mac is different than the original DM for PC. Right before you sell, use DM to make a backup. That one is just insurance in case the next one doesn't work.

Next, in DM select the Device Switch option. Let it copy everything, both your info and the apps.
    When you get to the point where it asks you to connect your new device, don't do anything yet.
    Leave DM open and go to your Start menu, or Mac equivalent. Search your computer for your PIN. Look for a file with the current date. When you find the Device Switch backup, it will contain your apps which end with a cod extension, versus a regular backup containing only your personal data ending with an ipd extension.
    Copy the file and paste it somewhere you'll remember.
    Then return to DM and cancel the Device Switch.

Before you sell your 9700, go to Options/Advanced Options/Security/Security Wipe, and use the Security Wipe to erase all your personal data from the device.

Use the copied & pasted file to restore your data when you get your 9780. I hope this works, but I'm unsure of the differences between the Mac & PC versions of DM.

Also, how do i disable the remote backup,would deleting the backup files help?
    I don't understand what you're asking here, sorry. Why do you want to disable remote backup?
    10-15-10 04:17 AM
    Thanks Elite1, you have been very helpful
    About the remote backup
    I was talking about the remote backup via email of my bbm contacts whether if i sell it the buyer who still be able to back up my contacts
    10-22-10 08:02 PM
    Just remove all your emails from the device, then do a wipe. I would back up both remotely and locally onto the memory card. You won't need DM for either option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-10 09:57 PM
    My pleasure.

No, if you wipe your device first, the buyer should not have access to your contacts without your email setup on that device anymore.

Make sure you don't give him the media card either. There is a lot of info that can be backed up on there. Save it until you get your 9780.

PS You should really add a few extra facts to your profile. It helps us help you, and lets people with common issues understand where you're coming from. (figuratively & literally!)

Just add your general location, carrier, and current device. That's it!
    10-22-10 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD