Hi i dont know where to post this question so i thought id post it here:

My Girlfriend is going away on holiday to turkey on monday, we both have Blackberrys and i was wondering if it would cost us to message each other? we both have an unlimited internet plan...not sure if this would have anything to do with it...would be good if someone could let me know,

Many thanks, Simon
    06-22-10 03:41 PM
    It really depends on which phone you got and which carrier. If your phone has a GSM slot you could buy a local SIM from Turkey and get BIS data for cheap.
    06-22-10 03:45 PM
    This would depend if she can use her current calling / data plan in Turkey. Depending where you currently live, this may / may not be possible. If she can use her same plan then yes, it will be free under your data plan, but if she is roaming, or needs to get a new SIM card in Turkey, that's when you will see an issue with charges.
    06-22-10 03:47 PM
    Should work no problem and it is sort of free, your will pay a bit extra, only a few as the bbm doesn't use much data, unless you send photos. I did this with my wife when she was in France with the kids and on a motorcycle trip across to eastern europe and it worked without fail in all transit countries.
    Bottom line, bbm is the cheapest way to communicate when one is abroad, or both for that matter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 03:54 PM
    Who is the carrier? With Sprint when I travel overseas I turn on Worldwide Blackberry Service at $40 per month (gets Pro-rated as I'm usually only gone a couple of weeks). I can send unlimited BBM messages to my wife and kids blackberries with this, plus surf the web and get e-mails. All of the carriers should have something similar to this, just call hers up and see. This is much better than pre-paid sim unless she needs to make a lot of local calls someone while there. I rarely talk on my phone and mostly message.
    06-22-10 09:18 PM
    ^ that is the key - she needs to activate the global unlimited data plan (at least that's what its called on vzw) - once she has that, you both can bbm each other to your heart's content lol....I use it all the time and it's an absolute life saver!
    06-23-10 05:23 AM
    See if Turkey has any carriers that provide pre-paid BIS, otherwise use an int'l data plan

06-23-10 05:56 AM
    ^ that is the key - she needs to activate the global unlimited data plan (at least that's what its called on vzw) - once she has that, you both can bbm each other to your heart's content lol....I use it all the time and it's an absolute life saver!
    Depending upon WHICH BlackBerry she has.
    06-23-10 05:56 AM
    Depending upon WHICH BlackBerry she has.
    Correct, if your carrier is AT&T, or T-Mobile, you should be good to go, as those are GSM devices, which is the network technology used over in Europe. If you guys happen to be on VZW, Sprint, or US Cellular, she is going to need to have a "World Phone" like the Tour 9630, Bold 9650, or 8830WE. Those carriers run a CDMA network, which is mostly used in the US/North America, and you need a dual mode phone (CDMA and GSM) in order to use the handset abroad.

What model does she have? What carrier do you use at home?
    06-23-10 07:30 AM
    BBM -- BBM is free internationally.
    06-23-10 09:33 AM
    BBM -- BBM is free internationally.
    besides the fact it uses data... but yes in sorts this statement is true... you can msg any on BBM internationally free as its using data...
    06-23-10 09:41 AM
    besides the fact it uses data... but yes in sorts this statement is true... you can msg any on BBM internationally free as its using data...
    Yes, it's using data but very very little of it.

06-23-10 10:25 AM
    Moved to Native Apps!
    06-23-10 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD