A friend of mine has a Bold 9700. Never had problems receiving voicenotes. But is recently unable to receive larger voicenote files...say---over 20 seconds. The sender gets the following message 'john smith was unable to save the file.' So...to the sender it looks like the file as been sent but then within about 2 seconds the above message appears...instead of 'accepted' ..'completed' etc...
    I've asked them to check to see about memory and they say there appears to be plenty. Also note that there is not problem for them to 'recieve' a voicenote file..as long as its under 20 seconds.
    What could be causing this? And what might the solution be?
    thanks
    10-19-10 05:20 AM
    Are you both on the same version of BBM? Has anything changed on the other person's device (switch OS, etc?

Try this: record a longer voice note using the voice recorder app and save it to your card. Then, from BBM, send it as a file. See if that works.
    10-19-10 05:34 AM
    pretty sure they are the same.... Have also tried sending using the 'file' method.... exact same problem.
    what i don't understand is it works fine for small files...wonder if the BBM has some way of telling it to 'import' 'save' different file sizes?
    By the way---how do you check to see which version of BBM you have?
    thanks!
    10-19-10 08:27 AM
    The problem could be with your friend's carrier (assuming you are on different carriers) maybe they put a limit on file size which kills "extra content" of the message
    10-19-10 10:16 AM
    ok_--checked the carrier limit issue...doesn't seem to be a problem.
    but i do have some new information that i think is important...
    it seems somebody 'updated' the BBM on my friends Blackberry---the Bold 9700. Ever since that was done the Voicenote issue started up.
    Is there a way i can get them back to the default version of BBM for the Bold 9700? as that seems to be the issue.
    many thanks!
    10-19-10 05:00 PM
    I've since discovered that my friend is indeed on a different version of BBM.. 5.0.1.38---- i was on 5.0.0.57... so i updated to the same one.... But its still doing the same thing...saying they are 'unable to save file'... and again..it bounces back within a couple of seconds. Also---i can send the same file to someone else...who isn't even on the same version i am!
    Again---the file is about a minute long....no problem to send 15 seconds..but thats it. This is really becoming quite annoying.....i've now sent the same file to 3 different people with no trouble at all. But I cannot send it to my friend. Really hoping someone has a solution to recommend..
    thanks
    10-19-10 08:45 PM
    I've since discovered that my friend is indeed on a different version of BBM.. 5.0.1.38---- i was on 5.0.0.57... so i updated to the same one.... But its still doing the same thing...saying they are 'unable to save file'... and again..it bounces back within a couple of seconds. Also---i can send the same file to someone else...who isn't even on the same version i am!
    Again---the file is about a minute long....no problem to send 15 seconds..but thats it. This is really becoming quite annoying.....i've now sent the same file to 3 different people with no trouble at all. But I cannot send it to my friend. Really hoping someone has a solution to recommend..
    thanks
    I suspect your friend ran out of memory, either his memory card is full or the filefree memory is almost gone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-10 03:42 AM
    Have your friend delete his saved voice notes. Go to Media, voice notes and delete the saved notes.

Last edited by exelant; 10-20-10 at 07:26 AM.
    10-20-10 07:23 AM
    my very first instinct on this was that it was a memory issue... they swear that there is no problem with the memory... but having tried everything else it would seem that is the only logical explanation as to why their blackberry is virtually automatically 'rejecting' or unable to save these files....
    I will try and have a look at it myself.
    10-20-10 07:45 AM
    A friend had this same problem and it went away when he deleted the old messages and freed up that memory.

10-20-10 07:54 AM
    will talk to them and give this a try-----shall update if any news..
    10-20-10 11:35 AM
    ok...i have an update---unfortunately not the solution.
    they have already deleted old messages.
    still the same problem... if i send a largish voicenote--(or any file for that matter) after about 2 seconds it says..... "XXX is unable to save the file"
    Is there a possibility the bb is not reading the memory card correctly? is it possible there could be corrupted memory?
    What issue could prevent a larger file from being received---?
    10-20-10 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD