I recently bought a second Bold 9650 w/no camera to use as a work phone (office restrictions). My personal phone is a year-old 9650 w/camera that has an upgrade ready, that I'll probably use for a 9930 later this year. My question is this: If I copy my BBM contacts over to the new phone, will people be able to reach me on both phones, or is your BBM identity PIN-specific? I suspect it is, but have never seen this definitively spelled out. If I can do this what's the easiest way to do it? Device switch or partial restore from my current backup? Thanks! Carrier is Verizon, btw.
    06-24-11 06:33 AM
    I'm no expert, but when I replaced my BB with another of the same model, all I had to do was 'restore' from a backup file of the old one and my BBM contacts came through without a hitch. Didn't need to re-add anyone and my contacts didn't even realize that my PIN had changed. All but one group came over too. It was extremely seamless.

Your situation is different, so I don't think it will apply. When your contacts send you a message, It is probably tunneled to you by way of your PIN. It is worth a try though, just don't hold me liable for any issues you come across.

Hope for the best!
    carrickfergus likes this.
    06-24-11 07:01 AM
    BBM is pin specific (at least for now)

What i think you're asking to do is have youself appear as the same person on 2 devices at the same time. That is not possible. You would have to be 2 different BBM names (one for each BlackBerry )

You can switch back and forth using the restore feature as mentioned above...(it basically sends out an invisible update to all your BBM contacts telling them you've switched devices)

Good luck

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 07:48 AM
    This really isn't 9650 specific. You could have a Storm and a Tour and pose the same question.

Try http://forums.crackberry.com/f152/
    06-24-11 07:51 AM
    Each BB has a pin, and that pin is used for BBM, I don't think it's possible to use 2 phones with the same PIN, however when I got my new Bold from the Tour and I started my BBM, I just restored all my BBM contact on my new phone and they came up. No problems nothing, didn't have to manually add anyone myself, but my old Tour was disconnected at the time and no longer in use, that might have something to do with it.
    06-24-11 08:46 AM
    This really isn't 9650 specific. You could have a Storm and a Tour and pose the same question.

Try http://forums.crackberry.com/f152/
    I'm sorry about that. Mod, please move to the appropriate forum.
    06-24-11 08:49 AM
    I'm sorry about that. Mod, please move to the appropriate forum.
    No worries, I just figure your responses won't be limited to just 9650 users.

The others have it right, just back up your contacts remotely from the current device and restore them to the new device. You may have to reinvite some contacts, I've had this happen when switching phones, but it should be fairly smooth going.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 06-24-11 at 09:02 AM.
    06-24-11 08:52 AM
    Thanks for your responses. I guess I'll have to set up a "work" ID as well, and let my contacts know that I use both IDs. Luckily, I don't have that many.
    06-24-11 08:57 AM
    BBM is pin specific (at least for now)

What i think you're asking to do is have youself appear as the same person on 2 devices at the same time. That is not possible. You would have to be 2 different BBM names (one for each BlackBerry )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You could have the same name and avatar on both. It will just be two different pins.

You can actually add yourself to your own BB if you want. I have myself on mine to to test links I might send.
    06-24-11 09:12 AM
    Thanks, Midd. I just added myself as a contact. This might just be what I am looking for!
    06-24-11 09:20 AM
    Cool, I hope it works for you. I have several contacts that have more than one phone but use just one name and unless you look at the contact info you really don't know which device they are using.
    06-24-11 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD