Hi everyone, I am hoping that there is a quick fix that I just cannot figure out to a very annoying problem.

I recently started using bbm for the first time (which is pretty damn cool) and as an inside joke with my buddy who added me first, I gave myself an "innapropriate" display name.

I later realized that this bbm display name was being referenced in my email correspondance.. *work* email correspondance!

Of course I changed it.. but the innapropriate reference remains. In my email set up I have my own name.. my bbm has a new nick.. I don't understand why the heck the original bbm nick keeps getting referenced in my emails.

Basically, if I send an email to someone, it will list my new (and work appropriate) name as the sender, but in any back and forth replies, the original message will show my innapropriate nick in the "To" and "From" fields above the subject line.

Can someone please tell me where the heck I need to go to change this? Help is very much appreciated
    08-16-10 07:42 PM
    I forgot to mention that I'm running 5.0.0.442 on a Telus Bold 9700, if that makes any difference..

As I sit here trying to figure out how many clients have already seen this joke not meant for them in an email from my berry..
    08-16-10 07:47 PM
    Check your provider's BIS signatures.
    08-16-10 08:30 PM
    How is it being referenced in your work email? Where in the email are you seeing it?
    08-16-10 09:21 PM
    Thank you for the reply Mitchsurp..

I'm not sure what you mean by checking my provider's BIS signatures? The innapropriate reference is not a signature that follows the email..

For example, if I get an email from Joe Blow to my @blackberry address, and I reply to Joe Blow the problem looks like this:

-----------Original Message---------------
    To: *innapropriate name I can't get rid of*

So if Joe Blow scrolls down, he sees this strange name that I created as a joke in bbm but which is now appearing in the sender field in email threads that I'm participating in.

If I compose a message from scratch, everything is cool, the recipient gets it and they see my appropriate name in the sender field. The problem occurs if they write back and then I reply to their reply (the third email in this example).. am I explaining this ok?

I have no signature in my BIS other than the standard "sent on the Telus Mobility network with Blackberry"

Someone has got to have run into this before but my searches came up with zero

Cheers
    08-16-10 09:38 PM
    Highlight the inappropriate name, then hit your Menu key, and select "Show Address"

Is it in the form of InappropriateName@yourprovider.blackberry.net?
    08-16-10 10:31 PM
    Highlight the inappropriate name, then hit your Menu key, and select "Show Address"

Is it in the form of InappropriateName@yourprovider.blackberry.net?
    Moving the cursor over the innapropriate name does show my @telus.blackberry.net address.. the email address itself is not a problem though, it's the nickname that is for some reason associated with the email address.

I am starting to lose my mind here.. my display name in bbm is updated to an appropriate name, my email account looks to be in order when viewed from the setup screen and yet I still have this idiotic nickname popping up in email correspondance.

I feel like a complete novice here :/
    08-16-10 10:49 PM

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=telus

And click the edit button next to the email you want to change.

You should see something like this.

http://imgur.com/uxTbF.png

Change it.
    08-16-10 11:23 PM

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=telus

And click the edit button next to the email you want to change.

You should see something like this.

http://imgur.com/uxTbF.png

Change it.
    I tried to login to the Telus site, but get a message to "please use your device to access Blackberry Internet Service"

I can see a similar screen directly on my device rnawky.. and it showing an appropriate name that I would like to display. That is what is so confusing lol. This bloody bbm nick is continually being referenced in my emails even though my email settings specify my "appropriate" name and my bbm nick has since been changed.

Thanks for the suggestion though
    08-16-10 11:40 PM
    I don't think it's a BIS issue. You have linked BBM to your contact. Look at your contacts and within BBM at your profile, it has to be in one of those 2 places. Keep an eye on the personal message field in your BBM profile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 12:12 AM
    Does the name appear anywhere in your address book? That would be my guess.

Alternatively, back up your phone to an .ipd file. Then open that .ipd file in Notepad. Search for the offending name, change it. Restore .ipd file to device.
    08-17-10 12:12 AM
    I don't think it's a BIS issue. You have linked BBM to your contact. Look at your contacts and within BBM at your profile, it has to be in one of those 2 places. Keep an eye on the personal message field in your BBM profile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Does the name appear anywhere in your address book? That would be my guess.

Alternatively, back up your phone to an .ipd file. Then open that .ipd file in Notepad. Search for the offending name, change it. Restore .ipd file to device.
    YES!! Haha thank you so much, I think that when I used bbm for the first time, my contact list was automatically updated with an entry for myself, using the offensive nick. I was changing everything else, not realizing my contact list had an entry for myself! Really appreciate all the help everyone, cheers
    08-17-10 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD