Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand, when you buy a playbook you do not receive a BBM pin and you can only link the playbook to a pin that you already have?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-11 04:04 PM
    Correct. Been discussed at length.
    01-09-11 04:07 PM
    So currently there is no BBM on the WiFi PlayBook unless you have a BB.

I suspect that there will be BBM on the 3G/4G version. People want BBM but already have iPhones/Androids/etc or are not willing to pay for 2 data plans. Seems like the perfect way to bring BBM to the masses.
    01-09-11 07:05 PM
    Who says RIM wants to bring bbm to the masses? They're not out to please the masses, they're out for "global domination". I find it rather ridiculous that people think RIM owes them bbm. Heck, I find it ridiculous that people get so wound up thinking RIM's "downfall" will be the end of Blackberry.

Let RIM do RIM, and "you" do "you". Find the phone you like and fits your needs if Blackberry won't.

01-09-11 09:01 PM
    Who says RIM wants to bring bbm to the masses? They're not out to please the masses, they're out for "global domination". I find it rather ridiculous that people think RIM owes them bbm. Heck, I find it ridiculous that people get so wound up thinking RIM's "downfall" will be the end of Blackberry.

Let RIM do RIM, and "you" do "you". Find the phone you like and fits your needs if Blackberry won't.

Have you seen their latest advertising. They obviously do, since the viral nature of BBM can help propogate their platform and inch them closer to "global domination."

Why are you people so damn defensive?
    01-09-11 10:53 PM
    Defensive over what? And what people are you referring to, I'm stating my own opinion.

So many people are ******** and complaining that the only saving factor is bbm. So they trash RIM and it's products; they "jump ship" stating that RIM is dead, BBs are old technology, and the Playbook is dead on arrival... ... But they want RIM to give them bbm. That's damn annoying.

The viral nature of bbm was evident with the explosive growth of Kik and I don't doubt that it MIGHT draw people to BB over other phones. However, there are so many people that are deadset on never picking up a RIM product again. Even with the all the "evidence" that the PB is a real contender, there's still people hating on it. Having BBM on the PB will cater to those that have it, but it won't bring people to buy RIM's smartphones.

01-09-11 11:51 PM
    BBM is their saving grace in the consumer market. That's why they had to Kick Kik out.

Pun intended.

What will bring people to buy RIM's smartphones is the functionality that is absent in the absense of a RIM smartphone, for those people who want to use the full capabilities of the Playbook.

Most people will just NOT get a Playbook if they don't have a RIM smartphone, though, because the benefits of a Playbook over i.e. iPad 2 or a Xoom or LG Honeycomb Tablet are not enough to make up for the deficits they will experience downgrading from a high end iOS/WP7/Android device to a Blackberry smartphone.

A lot of people will forgo the 3G/4G Playbook simply due to Sprint's lackluster 3G/WiMax coverage, as well.

I'm willing to say that the lack of new Blackberries near the Playbook launch will actually lose RIM a lot of Playbook sales, because if they had launched at least 1 or 2 good smartphones people would not feel so apprehensive about going with product that is locked into one vendor's products.

Your post said:

Who says RIM wants to bring bbm to the masses? They're not out to please the masses, they're out for "global domination".
    That is inaccurate.

You can't have global domination if the masses are displeased with your products. They simply won't buy it. The bolded statement is an obvious contradiction.

They also can't have global domination if they're trying to please 2G/third world markets, as people in richer areas of the world (non-corporate users) abandon ship and jump to competing products.

Nokia couldn't do it, and RIM won't do it, either...
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-10-11 at 07:54 AM.
    01-10-11 07:48 AM

That is inaccurate.

You can't have global domination if the masses are displeased with your products. They simply won't buy it. The bolded statement is an obvious contradiction.
    Technically this is not true. Microsoft has proven that ver the years.
    01-10-11 10:31 AM
    No. Microsoft has proven that OEM partnering and early on and aggressively in markets that are not as competitive as the smartphone market is these days works, especially when major competitors like Apple and UNIX vendors were selling for insane price and targetting hardware platforms that were/are prohibitively expensive for consumers.

RIM's market is falling. Windows and Office Marketshare is not falling nearly as fast as RIM's smartphone marketshare. They're almost not falling at all.

Microsoft actually innovates and improves their software. RIM's smartphones have been stagnant for nearly a decade, barring trivial cosmetic adjustments.

That'a terrible example, and yes, the statement is true.

You say technically but you don't really offer any "technical" content to disprove it :P

I'm sure if RIM had HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, Sony Erickson, and Nokia putting BBOS on 90% of their handsets they would have 90% smartphone marketshare.

Bad comparison. Doesn't disprove anything. The two aren't even close to being related.
    01-10-11 01:18 PM
    BBM is their saving grace in the consumer market. That's why they had to Kick Kik out.

Pun intended.

What will bring people to buy RIM's smartphones is the functionality that is absent in the absense of a RIM smartphone, for those people who want to use the full capabilities of the Playbook.
    So what leads consumers to buy RIM smartphones for the functionality of BBM if BBM is provided in the Playbook? Also, most of the added functionality by pairing to the BB doesn't seem to be a big deal for most nay-sayers on this site.

Most people will just NOT get a Playbook if they don't have a RIM smartphone, though, because the benefits of a Playbook over i.e. iPad 2 or a Xoom or LG Honeycomb Tablet are not enough to make up for the deficits they will experience downgrading from a high end iOS/WP7/Android device to a Blackberry smartphone.

A lot of people will forgo the 3G/4G Playbook simply due to Sprint's lackluster 3G/WiMax coverage, as well.

I'm willing to say that the lack of new Blackberries near the Playbook launch will actually lose RIM a lot of Playbook sales, because if they had launched at least 1 or 2 good smartphones people would not feel so apprehensive about going with product that is locked into one vendor's products.
    Agreed. But even if RIM were to launch their super phone, people would end up calling it another Storm before they even have it released.

Your post said:

That is inaccurate.

They also can't have global domination if they're trying to please 2G/third world markets, as people in richer areas of the world (non-corporate users) abandon ship and jump to competing products.

Nokia couldn't do it, and RIM won't do it, either...
    The poor always outnumber the rich. Heck, even us in the "first world" insist on using cheap labour from the third world. If someone wants a smartphone but can't afford the high end ones, they'll opt for the one they can afford. Sometimes, the super, elite, status symbol of higher end smartphones are lost in the dollar signs around it.

I'll reword my "let RIM do RIM" phrase.... RIM has met my needs and continues to meet the needs of many people. They have been successful in that sense for many years and will continue to meet these specific needs in the years to come. If "you" (general statement) as a consumer cannot have your needs met by RIM, do what you feel is right and find the manufacturer that will.

Whether or not RIM takes back their shares, they'll keep making products that suffice for a lot of people.

Long winded, I know.
    01-10-11 06:13 PM
    Defensive over what? And what people are you referring to, I'm stating my own opinion.

So many people are ******** and complaining that the only saving factor is bbm. So they trash RIM and it's products; they "jump ship" stating that RIM is dead, BBs are old technology, and the Playbook is dead on arrival... ... But they want RIM to give them bbm. That's damn annoying.
    This. And only this.

For months now, all I've read in BlackBerry related articles is RIM/BlackBerry is dead, the only thing saving them is BBM, a glorified IM with "delivered" and "received" notifications. Suddenly it's a fail that the Playbook doesn't have it. If you want BBM, get a BlackBerry. Don't want a BlackBerry? Go use some other IM or go text since all the naysayers say it's the same as BBM.
    01-11-11 01:49 AM
    I bought a new Playbook. I donot have a BB phone. How do I install the BBM on the Playbook.

Can I access the mails over the playbook without using the bridge but connecting the playbook over wifi - broad band
    Regards
    Krishna
    01-10-12 09:46 AM
    Not yet.

Wait until Febuary.

01-10-12 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD