So I'm told by the IT dept. at a corporation I work for that PIN messaging is the most secure way of sending messages between BBs, and that they can be tracked by people on a BES, but only if the corporation chooses to do so. Obviously with SMS things are different because it's a carrier-provided service, but I keep getting mixed answers regarding the security level of BBM. My understanding is that it uses the same technology as PIN messaging, but just orders the messages into one convenient messaging app, but doesn't affect the security negatively, but the IT dept. says otherwise... anyone have some concrete info that could help me figure this out for sure?
    11-06-09 03:58 PM
    SMS is by far the least secure of the bunch. As for BBM and PINs, I know a PIN message is very secure. The BBM might be less secure if they are worried about you sharing attachments. PINs don't have attachments.
    11-06-09 06:53 PM
    So any technical specifics regarding what the difference is between BBM and PIN? I get the attachment thing, but my understanding is that both BBM and PIN messaging use the same, BlackBerry-based framework compared to the carrier-provided SMS, and based on that I thought, letter for letter and excluding attachments, BBM and PIN were as secure as each other.
    11-06-09 06:59 PM
    SMS is by far the least secure of the bunch. As for BBM and PINs, I know a PIN message is very secure. The BBM might be less secure if they are worried about you sharing attachments. PINs don't have attachments.
    i would say pin and bbm are pretty comparable in security
    11-06-09 09:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD