Hi,

I just got a Blackberry Bold 9700 two days ago. I got everyones bbm and added them. Two days later, a problem occured with the screen of the phone and I had to get it replaced. Obviously the PIN changed.

My question is, is do I have to re-request the contacts on my BBM? I still have everyones contact in the BBM on my new phone but I'm not sure if i'm still on theirs. I also can't see some peoples status updates and icons, but their contact is still there. My whole contact list is still in there, but i'm not sure if my new pin automatically is updated on other peoples contact list or if they still have my old pin, or if i'm just deleted as a contact as a whole.

Also, when I try to add someone through BBM it seems to stay as pending. Either when I accept or send one it just stays pending. Any help?

Thanks
    Last edited by ChunkO; 05-16-10 at 03:13 AM.
    05-16-10 03:10 AM
    Have you tried a battery pull?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-10 04:13 AM
    With the newer versions of BBM (like what you have), you should not need to re-request people.

The first time you exchange a BBM message with a contactn it will update your PIN on their device.

Which version of BBM is included on your new 9700? In BBM, press MENU then select Options. Press MENU again and select About BlackBerry Messenger.

05-16-10 05:25 AM
    i had 4.6, but i updated to 5.0.
    05-16-10 01:05 PM
    Oh you hadn't updated your BBM to 5.0 when you had your previous device? (A 9000 or 8900, I'm assuming)

When I jumped from 8330 to Tour, I sent out a BBM Broacast Message saying, "Switched phones! Please update my PIN in your Address Book to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _"
    I don't know if I had to or not, but that's what I did.

When I switched from 9630 to 9700 6 months ago, I didn't bother, and everything switched over by itself.

05-16-10 01:11 PM
    My previous device was a 9700, and I just replaced that one with a new 9700. So the model of the phone is the same. Do you think I still have to give everyone my new pin or is it automatically updated?
    05-16-10 01:18 PM
    It should auto update for them. You should be able to restore from a backup file, either remotely or via file on a media card.
    05-16-10 02:30 PM
    You can restore from the backup file as stated above with BBM5.

But whenever I get a replacement I still re-request everyone after I restore that
    backup. Why? Because I noticed that when I restore BBM works fine as it's
    supposed to. However, people don't see that your display avatar has changed
    whenever you change it. So in essence, the restore works but works exactly as
    the older version BBM. Display pic is the same and doesn't change on your other
    contacts' end unless you re-request them over again. Otherwise, each time you
    change the avatar, it won't update on their end.
    05-16-10 02:44 PM
    hm, although I never seemed to restore the device but my contacts were still in there. Would restoring from a backup file say from my email now change anything or should I just keep it the way it is now?
    05-16-10 03:13 PM
    Restoring from your remote backup won't have any begative effect. I can't remember exactly what it says, but you'll have a popup saying something about already being current & updated most likely.

05-16-10 03:52 PM
    Yeah, go ahead and restore. Nothing to lose in that. Just if you change your
    avatar ask people if they're seeing the change. If not, just re-request them.
    05-16-10 04:12 PM
    whenever I get a replacement I still re-request everyone after I restore that backup. Why? Because I noticed that when I restore BBM works fine as it's supposed to. However, people don't see that your display avatar has changed whenever you change it. So in essence, the restore works but works exactly as the older version BBM. Display pic is the same and doesn't change on your other contacts' end unless you re-request them over again. Otherwise, each time you change the avatar, it won't update on their end.
    I think that is all true, but I also think you can "update yourself with your BBM Contacts by, well, contacting them. I'm 90% sure that if you send them a message from new device they'll see your updates afterwards.

It's easier to send each person a message than a connection request. And then, wait for them to accept.

If I'm right (again not 100% sure), the easiest solution is to send a Broadcast Message. You could put something like:
    "Hi everyone, had to replace my BB. Me new PIN is ____. Please Copy&Paste it into your address book"

Easy to test: after you send a Broadcast Message (and sorry I'm just NOT going to abbreviate that as BM!), change your BBM display pic. BBM one of your contacts and ask them what your display pic is.
    You can test it out with a single contact first if you prefer. Just send someone a message, then change avatar, then asl them.
    Just make sure you ask someone with a newer device. No BBM5, no display pics.

Let us know, Chunk!

05-16-10 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD