Hi guys,

I recently bought this phone, but I haven't purchased BIS nor BES since I already have a data plan, which I can't kill and use BIS service only. Now, since I didn't want to use that shangmail thing to sync my gmail account, I managed to update my 9700 from os 5 to leaked os 6 (from telus if I remember).
    Now, since the graphics is so awesome I hate to have to downgrade back just because I can;t set up gmail account on my phone.

So far, I;ve installed service books for enabling gprs internet browsing and also email related service book (the one that is used for shangmail, I tought it is universal).

Now i can't create my gmail account on BB. Is it possible to create one from within the phone itself, or through a special app (google stopped creating those for os6, I saw that piece of info on their website).

Any thoughts on how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

12-27-11 04:25 PM
    I am also running a 9700 on a regular data plan with no special Blackberry services. I use Shangmail for my gmail and my work email. Is there a reason you don't want to use it?

But, your other option is LogicMail: LogicMail for BlackBerry

I used LogicMail for about a year, but I prefer Shangmail now because it is much faster to get in and out and provides a smoother overall experience.
    12-28-11 10:11 AM
    similar problem here -

i have data plan but not bb data plan, what can i download to use as internet?

also, can i use whatsapp and if so where can i download it that doesn't require me to download it ota?

thanks!
    12-28-11 11:22 AM
    Many threads on this.

You will need a data plan to use e-mail on your blackberry unless you desire using just the browser to surf via wi-fi only, as there isn't a way to circumvent RIM's servers, talks about doing that on here are illegal.

Gmail has a great mobile site, so do many other popular webmail providers. Apps, you'll need to find wifi only ones.

LIke I may have said before, pay for the data if you really really need it. A cheap blackberry specific data plan is good, just make sure to use wifi to avoid going over the cap.

http://forums.crackberry.com/wifi-discussion-help-f65/wifi-compatible-apps-list-462539/
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 12-28-11 at 07:17 PM.
    12-28-11 07:08 PM
    @rootbrain
    my problem is that if I get a BIS data plan, I will get only 30 mb for data. Afterwards, they will charge me data transfer extra, which I find a nonsense, because I already have another unlimited voice+data plan that I pay. That is why I asked this. I understand about mail, but why can't I access FB or Twitter applications without BIS service?
    12-29-11 03:39 AM
    @rootbrain
    my problem is that if I get a BIS data plan, I will get only 30 mb for data. Afterwards, they will charge me data transfer extra, which I find a nonsense, because I already have another unlimited voice+data plan that I pay. That is why I asked this. I understand about mail, but why can't I access FB or Twitter applications without BIS service?
    Because they go through RIM's servers, not carrier servers. Things are different. Maybe lowering the other data plan to a smaller quota and adding the 30MB wouldn't be so bad, just be sure to use wifi if you do.

PS. Ubersocial uses wifi, so you can use it without data as I did use it on my 9700. Link to it: http://bb.ubersocial.com/bb/download.php
    12-29-11 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD