Microphone failed on my first 8830 so had to switch out. Numerous problems with the changeover. The most irritating is the failure of Password Keeper to recognize its password. I get a message to enter an older password to enable the newer password. How bizarre is this? Any solution to cracking this open?

Thanks
    05-28-08 12:05 PM
    I may not fully understand your issue.

Are you trying to restore all of your old data from the application or just trying to create an entirely new, empty "password keeper?"

Do you know your old password? If not, entering the wrong one 10 times will erase all of your data and allow you to start fresh, probably including creating a new password.
    05-28-08 01:51 PM
    Thanks for replying. I want to open it up. I have both passwords but it will not open with either one. Am I toast or is there some way to open it?
    05-28-08 03:14 PM
    One common blackberry password problem is confusing letters and numbers. E.g., you think the password is "asdf" but it's really "*456". If it's not that, or a misplaced capslock, then you are out of luck. There is no backdoor into the password keeper.
    05-31-08 01:23 PM
    One common blackberry password problem is confusing letters and numbers. E.g., you think the password is "asdf" but it's really "*456". If it's not that, or a misplaced capslock, then you are out of luck. There is no backdoor into the password keeper.
    Is there seriously no back door to the password keeper??? I have changed the password too many times and don't remember what it is...I have like 15 passwords for many things in there and cant remember the right password ...is there no way for the phone company to help with this problem...these are important passwords and I have 1 Attempt left-It wipes everything so its not like i can see what the password was for and try to retrieve them all...please help!
    08-24-08 04:08 PM
    Is there seriously no back door to the password keeper??? I have changed the password too many times and don't remember what it is...I have like 15 passwords for many things in there and cant remember the right password ...is there no way for the phone company to help with this problem...these are important passwords and I have 1 Attempt left-It wipes everything so its not like i can see what the password was for and try to retrieve them all...please help!
    I am sorry, but there is seriously no back door to the password keeper. Neither your carrier nor RIM can help you if you don't remember it. You are fortunate that all you will lose are those passwords. If you forget the password for your device, or for the Key Store, you lose the entire contents of the device.
    08-24-08 04:11 PM
    Same thing; different issue. I am on a BES server with my company and recently had to wipe my BB due to server issue. I have a backup of my password keeper files (42) but it is the only file Desktop Manager will NOT allow me to restore. I'm hosed..huh?
    08-30-08 03:33 PM
    If you can't restore it, then I don't know any way to recover the contents. That's one of the reasons I don't use password keeper: there's no way to export/import your password list to a non-BlackBerry backup. I understand the security rationale for that, but for me it's an unacceptable operational restriction.
    08-30-08 08:15 PM
    There is a program out there that is supposed to at least allow you to read (view) ipd files. I've no experience with it. The BB isn't allowing you to copy it over because the original phone was set to wireless synch when you backed it up. Go to PW Keeper - Options - Wireless Synch - Change it to no. Make a new back up. The new phone must be set the same way. It will then allow you to copy it to the new unit. Not sure about the PW to open PW Keeper ... also not sure the above will work with your phone - I use an 8820.
    10-05-08 05:34 AM
    ooops...the name of the program is ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter ... there are trial versions available.
    10-05-08 05:36 AM
    Same thing; different issue. I am on a BES server with my company and recently had to wipe my BB due to server issue. I have a backup of my password keeper files (42) but it is the only file Desktop Manager will NOT allow me to restore. I'm hosed..huh?
    You need to restore the Password Keeper data before the Enterprise Activation. If you don't do this before then it will be grayed out and not allow the restore.

If you have already activated the device on BES wipe it, restore password keeper and then activate again.
    12-23-08 10:35 AM
    Thank you so much for the info on setting the Wireless Sync setting in my Password Keeper. I had a backup that I couldn't get the Passwords to transfer. Once I edited the Wireless Sync to No, the Password Keeper was no longer grayed out on the Advanced Options in the BB Desktop Manager, and I was able to transfer all my passwords. I had 147 entries. I may try going to another app for ease of use in the future though.
    03-05-10 08:59 AM
    I open this app numerous times daily and all of a sudden it will not accept the password to open. I'm up to 8/10 attempts and need help! What happens when I get to 10 attempts and who can I contact to solve this problem??? I must have 100 passwords stored there.
    10-20-11 06:58 PM
    There's no back door to the password keeper. When you exceed 10 attempts, the app will delete all the stored passwords. You may be able to restore from a backup. One reason I don't use password keeper is the inability to import and export passwords.
    10-20-11 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD