06-27-11 11:34 AM
115 ... 345
tools
    People should really understand that their individual experience isn't a reflection on the market as a whole. It makes all of you sound very uneducated, no matter what side you're leaning towards.
    06-24-11 10:43 AM
    Except my question wasn't whether people bought those devices for those reasons; it was whether your opinion of the device would change if we change the game to Need for Speed. You'll note my initial comment never even referenced the PlayBook, but it was clear where I was going, so instead of responding and taking the risk of appearing foolish, you're simply dodging the question like a savvy politician.
    Except Im under no obligation to acknowledge nonsense if I dont want to. If I dont feel the need to reply to something completely irrelevant - I dont have to.

And my original post stated something along the lines of social networking and angry birds in reference to the iphone. Are you swapping angry birds for N4S and still keeping the qualifiers social networking and the iphone device?

And yes it was clear where you were going - thus the irrelevance of your post since people most likely DON'T buy the PB for N4S. This in and of itself renders your question moot. Or irrelevant. You pick.

The iPhone is a consumer device, so yes, many (if not most) purchasers buy them for something other than "business" purposes. But as a "business" guy, I'm sure you can appreciate the following numbers:
    150 million business-centric devices sold over 12 years, current ASP of $280 (BlackBerry)

125 million consumer-centric devices sold in less than 4 years, current ASP of $625 (iPhone)
    Kind of worthless data dont you think when you look at the advancement of wi-fi, mobile broadband, mobile computing and a myriad of other reasons? Your single track assessment that consumer oriented device sales correlates directly and solely to people wanting to facebook and tweet is silly. Which raises another piece of information that wasnt prominent 4 years ago - social networking. Of course you'll respond that "I never said facebook or twitter" so allow me to short circuit that post with the fact that you delineated business and consumer devices- which must, by your definition, be mutually exclusive.

RIM's focus on the business market has become a competitive disadvantage. If you want RIM to succeed like they used to, they can't afford to turn anyone away. Not even the people that just want to play Angry Birds.
    Look - its obvious you are one of those people. No offense meant but I call a spade a spade.
    06-24-11 10:44 AM
    Why even waste your time reading this article?

Blackberry is an industry leader in mobile devices. Younger generations to older generations all use blackberry's due to it's physical keyboard alone and status. Blackberry is a globally recongized brand, and it pushes competition in the market -- specifically for Apple and Microsoft. Having competition is healthy for all companies to grow. Hence why Apple didn't spend it's 40 billion dollar surplus last year on just buying out RIM (A very successful CANADIAN company) -- There is also the added fact that the Government of Canada will not allow RIM to go under or sell.

The blackberry brand is high-end. What sense is there to compare a Lincoln to a Ford?

I enjoy the research put forth by this random blogger. Sept. 30th, 2010 - not even a year prior RIM holds a 47% market share of enterprise phones compared to its next largest competitior (the iPhone @ 27%). blogs.forbes.com/velocity/2010/09/30/is-rim-back/]Is RIM Back? - Velocity - Remaking Personal Technology - Forbes.

The only fact is - no one knows the inside restructuring that RIM is putting forward to realign it's company in an increasing competitive market. To state such bogus comments is simply ********.

I am a Canadian with a blackberry in USA on a Canadian plan. Without BBM I would not be able to contact my business co-workers, girlfriend or friends without paying a $1.75 texting fee + higher roaming fees due to the kb's sent/receive size. The fact that I can simple go abroad, set up my mobile on a wifi-network, or roam and send a small .05kb BBM is enough to keep me as a blackberry loyalist.

Helll, even MIKE JONESSSS dedicated a song to BBM. 'Nuff said.
    06-24-11 12:06 PM
    Why even waste your time reading this article?

Blackberry is an industry leader in mobile devices. Younger generations to older generations all use blackberry's due to it's physical keyboard alone and status. Blackberry is a globally recongized brand, and it pushes competition in the market -- specifically for Apple and Microsoft. Having competition is healthy for all companies to grow. Hence why Apple didn't spend it's 40 billion dollar surplus last year on just buying out RIM (A very successful CANADIAN company) -- There is also the added fact that the Government of Canada will not allow RIM to go under or sell.

The blackberry brand is high-end. What sense is there to compare a Lincoln to a Ford?

I enjoy the research put forth by this random blogger. Sept. 30th, 2010 - not even a year prior RIM holds a 47% market share of enterprise phones compared to its next largest competitior (the iPhone @ 27%). blogs.forbes.com/velocity/2010/09/30/is-rim-back/]Is RIM Back? - Velocity - Remaking Personal Technology - Forbes.

The only fact is - no one knows the inside restructuring that RIM is putting forward to realign it's company in an increasing competitive market. To state such bogus comments is simply ********.

I am a Canadian with a blackberry in USA on a Canadian plan. Without BBM I would not be able to contact my business co-workers, girlfriend or friends without paying a $1.75 texting fee + higher roaming fees due to the kb's sent/receive size. The fact that I can simple go abroad, set up my mobile on a wifi-network, or roam and send a small .05kb BBM is enough to keep me as a blackberry loyalist.

Helll, even MIKE JONESSSS dedicated a song to BBM. 'Nuff said.
    BB hasn't been a mobile phone industry leader for at least three years.

****, they can barely keep up, let alone lead.
    06-24-11 01:07 PM
    Agree with the first part but also it depends on what a person is looking for. I hope it never happens that there is only mobile OS like so many around would like to see happen.
    06-24-11 01:10 PM
    "They cant sell anything other than a keyboard-candybar phone in an era where the keyboard is increasingly irrelevant or hidden away until needed".

Excuse the **** out of me, but I imagine there are quite a few people in the world who refuse to use touch screen devices. I am one of them. I prefer the Blackberry for many reasons, the keyboard being one of them, the shape and feel of the phone, etc..

Last fall, I made the mistake of trading in my Tour for an HTC Evo. It was an impulse buy that I soon regreted. First off, the Android is a "half-baked" phone. Too many apps that serve no purpose other than giving me a reason to **** around. Task killer apps slowed down the device so I was forced to "force close" running apps at least 3-5 times daily. The design of the device had sharp edges which hurt my ear when talking on it.. after 1 week I decided to take Sprint up on their 30 day return policy and get a Curve 3G. Earlier this year, Sprint released the EVO shift. I though to myself "Hmmm.. an Android with a slide-out keyboard. That'll work better for me than my Curve and I can give Android another try".. so I bought one. Sure enough, same problems with the OS! Texting on the slide out keyboard was a pain in the neck because the keys were spaced too far apart. Also, when the phone was in the slide-out position, it was too top heavy to hold steady.

If Blackberry goes under, I seriously hope that there will be devices out there which are similar. I refuse to use/own a full touch screen or slide-out keyboard device ever again. It will either be Blackberry or a "dumb phone". If a company would introduce an Android phone similarly styled like the Blackberry, and I could close apps without jumping through hoops, they would have my business.

Until RIMM is taken over, goes under or 110% ceases to exist, shut your mouths and stop slamming the company. I don't know whats worse, the bias scum bags who write these articles, or the people who read them and take them seriously.

Take your Androids and iPhones and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.
    I have to agree with this. The reason I love my BB is the form factor. The screen isn't too small for me and I don't get the draw to a huge phone. I also don't watch movies on my phone because I think it's lame. But that's me.

There are many people, even young people (of which I am one,) who love a real keyboard.

There is something perfect about BBs iconic form factor. It will always be sold they just need to market it as a consumer and corporate perfect device.

Regardless full touch screen phones are gimmicky to me and I just don't feel the need to buy one. But that's ME.
    06-24-11 02:45 PM
    And yes it was clear where you were going - thus the irrelevance of your post since people most likely DON'T buy the PB for N4S. This in and of itself renders your question moot. Or irrelevant. You pick.
    Just like most people don't buy the iPhone for Angry Birds. I doubt most people buy the iPhone for games. I have one game on my iPhone, Infinity Blade.

Isn't Angry Birds one of the most requested apps for BB OS/Tablet OS?
    06-24-11 04:52 PM
    In West Yorkshire (UK), BlackBerry users get bullied a LOT nowadays. If you have an iPhone or an Android you're cool. Windows Phone you're OK. WebOS, you're OK because they're intrigued to know about said OS (I know almost nothing about WebOS, I'm 20, and I've only ever seen 1 person with a WebOS device in my whole lifetime). However, if you have a BlackBerry, like I do, you get bullied for having an outdated device. Even Symbian and dumbphones are being left alone because they 'clearly don't want a smartphone'. BlackBerry is now the target for bullies, and it happens, A LOT.
    I can't wait for someone to make fun of me because I own a blackberry because I am going to take great joy in slapping their iphone or android device out of their hands.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-11 02:38 PM
    i hate to say it but, seeing all the negative reports about rim and all my friends breaking my balls about still owning a blackberry....i'm putting my bb to rest for the evo 3d. i don't even want the phone but, the bold touch and the monza were outdated last year and they haven't even come out yet. why hasn't rim adopted flash yet? i don't understand what are they doing. nobody wants that outdated trash they haven't even released yet. i'm so, frustrated with rim! i've been sticking up for you for a very long time now i have cell phone shame! f-u rim! i'm done!
    06-26-11 03:13 AM
    i hate to say it but, seeing all the negative reports about rim and all my friends breaking my balls about still owning a blackberry....i'm putting my bb to rest for the evo 3d. i don't even want the phone but, the bold touch and the monza were outdated last year and they haven't even come out yet. why hasn't rim adopted flash yet? i don't understand what are they doing. nobody wants that outdated trash they haven't even released yet. i'm so, frustrated with rim! i've been sticking up for you for a very long time now i have cell phone shame! f-u rim! i'm done!
    First: you are caving into peer pressure? Tell your "friends" to screw off.

Second: you are believing the media trash talk. I should put quotations around media as some of the trash talk is coming from bloggers, biased idiots or trying to make a bit of money off of bad press.

Third: outdated? Sure. Technically everything is outdated the minute it comes out since they are always working on the next best thing. But it isn't a good enough reason to not buy something. You would never buy anything if that was the case. The new phones will run awesome and be great phones.

06-26-11 04:41 AM
    Good luck, but the reviews I have read state the camera sucks and battery life is crazy bad.
    06-26-11 10:50 AM
    Find better friends!

06-26-11 11:44 AM
    Really? Let me guess, you buy complain because the TV you bought is outdated the minute you got it home, you complain because the car you bought is is outdated the minute you drove it off the lot, you complain because the clothes you bought went out of style a few days after you bought them.

It sounds like your cell phone shame is driven by a need for public approval and not whether the product is any good. Have fun with your flawless evo 3d.
    06-26-11 12:31 PM
    On the train this instant in the seats next to me - 5 BBs. 1 iPhone.
    This is average, every day kind of thing.

7 BBs 2 iPhones
    That's what I'm seeing as well. I'm also in airports frequently and the majority of travelers that I see have BBs (my guess is around 80%). I have made a point of paying attention to what phone someone is using since the RIM doom and gloom predictions really started.

The other thing I've noticed that I find surprising (based on everything one reads) is how many young people (teens and 20s) I see using BBs.

Once I start seeing everyone around me with something other than a BB, then I might start worrying about RIM. Until then, I feel no fear that RIM is going under.
    06-26-11 01:45 PM
    with all of RIM's recent troubles, is it really possible to get a solid QNX system in a year? I would say a year and a half is optimistic... which means that the 9900 series would still be at the top for at least a year
    Troubles + their general apathetic nature. They are still operating as though they call all the shots.

I doubt very very seriously there will be a qnx phone out before summer 2012. rim has learned it can fall back on the tired mantras of "still a new platform" and "takes time to get it right".....

throw in an expected delay or two in the mix and you get the picture.

they wont even be able to any new phones out before calender Q4 if at all this year. Take it to the bank... even the new bold touch will not be out before october.

06-27-11 11:34 AM
115 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD