06-27-11 10:34 AM
115 ... 2345
tools
    Yep. They are dead now. The article is correct. The minute iphones started becoming de facto in most businesses (its all I see in meetings with customers now) and BES added support for android and iphone apps the writing is on the wall. There is no business phones anymore. Its finished. RIM's goose is cooked.
    Are you meeting with tween girls about Justin Bieber fan clubs or something? I'm in and out of meetings and other than my boss - I see zero iphones.
    06-23-11 06:10 AM
  2. T
    I wonder what software and services IBM is providing? (I know it still markets and handles certain Lenovo ThinkPad matters.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-11 06:10 AM
    IBM would be a great fit, and it will be cheap to change the signs.
    06-23-11 07:34 AM
    Please though, explain how owning a device makes you part of a society. Most people do not give a crap about what phones people own.
    In West Yorkshire (UK), BlackBerry users get bullied a LOT nowadays. If you have an iPhone or an Android you're cool. Windows Phone you're OK. WebOS, you're OK because they're intrigued to know about said OS (I know almost nothing about WebOS, I'm 20, and I've only ever seen 1 person with a WebOS device in my whole lifetime). However, if you have a BlackBerry, like I do, you get bullied for having an outdated device. Even Symbian and dumbphones are being left alone because they 'clearly don't want a smartphone'. BlackBerry is now the target for bullies, and it happens, A LOT.
    06-23-11 11:01 AM
    In West Yorkshire (UK), BlackBerry users get bullied a LOT nowadays. If you have an iPhone or an Android you're cool. Windows Phone you're OK. WebOS, you're OK because they're intrigued to know about said OS (I know almost nothing about WebOS, I'm 20, and I've only ever seen 1 person with a WebOS device in my whole lifetime). However, if you have a BlackBerry, like I do, you get bullied for having an outdated device. Even Symbian and dumbphones are being left alone because they 'clearly don't want a smartphone'. BlackBerry is now the target for bullies, and it happens, A LOT.
    You gotta love 21st century bullying. "Your mom is so fat" has apparently given way to "your phone is so outdated." It has a very "West Side Story" feel to it.
    06-23-11 11:10 AM
    Wow that is very sad. Where I live, there are plenty of other things to b*tch about, so smartphones are the last things on anyones mind.
    06-23-11 11:28 AM
    Wow, it's sad for sure (if it's true.)

They continue to push dates back and lower projections...
    06-23-11 11:33 AM
    I find it unbelievable that this could be true in my native county. In fact I have never seen any evidence of mature adults indulging in device inspired bullying anywhere outside internet forums.
    06-23-11 11:35 AM
    The next time that happens you should do what Wyatt Earp does in tombstone when the one marauder walks up to him outside the saloon- rip their six shooter (see also cell phone) out of their hand and whack em on the head with it.
    06-23-11 11:43 AM
    I find it unbelievable that this could be true in my native county. In fact I have never seen any evidence of mature adults indulging in device inspired bullying anywhere outside internet forums.
    It's weird right? It's almost as if every iOS/Android fanboy bought out his town/city and turned it into a real life forum.

In the states, this kind of stuff might happen in grade school (middle-high school at least) because of the trendy kids, and because if the most popular kid has it it's the best.

If I saw a guy getting bullied on the side of the street over a smartphone (getting robed is different lol), I would be completely shocked.
    06-23-11 11:45 AM
    Well unfortunately it does happen branta, and it has happened to me. I was even called a BlackBerry fanboy in a menacing and bullying way, just for being interested in the PlayBook. This guy had a HTC Desire. In the end, I just got him to get lost by saying "I'll get an Android next time" and proceeding to make bold unbelievable claims about RIM's death. I think that freaked the guy out, and if so, good, because he was picking on me for having a Torch. The only thing I did to start it all off was say he had a nice phone (which I genuinely meant). Both me and the bully study at uni. And it happened in a local SUBWAY outlet.
    06-23-11 11:52 AM
    dont get comfortable thnking your banking app is secure. But Blackberry is the best at security
    06-23-11 11:58 AM
    Well unfortunately it does happen branta, and it has happened to me. I was even called a BlackBerry fanboy in a menacing and bullying way, just for being interested in the PlayBook. This guy had a HTC Desire. In the end, I just got him to get lost by saying "I'll get an Android next time" and proceeding to make bold unbelievable claims about RIM's death. I think that freaked the guy out, and if so, good, because he was picking on me for having a Torch. The only thing I did to start it all off was say he had a nice phone (which I genuinely meant). Both me and the bully study at uni. And it happened in a local SUBWAY outlet.
    Are you serious?

Twentysomething yr olds at university bullying each other on smartphone choice This is a first for me... its so unbelievable its damnright ridiculous.

I'mean c'mon...on a tech forum, its almost custom to experience that kind of hostility and brand loyalty from users...but usually I would hope most sain people take the bashing with a pinch of salt.. but when things like this are taken to the streets! then you know the person/attacker/bully has serious issues, and quite rightly; very pathetic.
    Last edited by The Gift; 06-24-11 at 06:50 AM.
    06-24-11 06:45 AM
    Are you meeting with tween girls about Justin Bieber fan clubs or something? I'm in and out of meetings and other than my boss - I see zero iphones.
    I would estimate that probably 25% of the people I meet with in business are using an iPhone now, including some of our corporate banks, our financial auditing firm, customers, supppliers, etc. It is not the phone of tweeners and people who just want entertainment. They are fantastic messaging and business devices now. So are BB's. So are Android. It is all personal preference. I would cut my personal experience with what smart phones people have in business interactions as 25% iPhone, 40% BB, and 35% Android right now. The world is a changing. This even goes for Europe (mostly Germany, Denmark and Sweden for me) and China, to which I go a lot.

Are you serious?

Twentysomething yr olds at university bullying each other on smartphone brands This is a first for me... its so unbelievable its damnright rediculous.

I'mean c'mon...on a tech forum, its almost custom to experience that kind of hostility and brand loyalty from users...but usually I would hope most sain people take the bashing with a pinch of salt.. but when things like this are taken to the streets! then you know the person/attacker/bully has serious issues, and quite rightly; very pathetic.
    I agree with you completely. How sad when people bash people for phone choice! It is quite funny also. But then again, that goes for on the forums as well. It also goes many ways, including from BB people. The "my device is obviously superior" from any preference is funny, but so is the notion that BB's are the only "serious" device.
    06-24-11 06:54 AM
    Wow insecure people really care that much what phone someone else uses? The best way to respond to a bully is to not be bothered by it.

You: You have a nice phone.

Bully: Well you're an ***** for using that blackberry.

You: I guess I am, thanks for letting me know.
    06-24-11 06:58 AM
    I would estimate that probably 25% of the people I meet with in business are using an iPhone now, including some of our corporate banks, our financial auditing firm, customers, supppliers, etc. It is not the phone of tweeners and people who just want entertainment. They are fantastic messaging and business devices now. So are BB's. So are Android. It is all personal preference. I would cut my personal experience with what smart phones people have in business interactions as 25% iPhone, 40% BB, and 35% Android right now.
    Thats fine but my post is in reference to the poster that said the iphone is the de facto business phone now - which its not. Until iphone stops trying to appeal to people whose only purpose for getting one is to play angry birds - I will forever not take them seriously.

My wife has an iphone and I have tried to get used to it but all I see is facebook, twitter, IM, Angry Birds, itunes crap. I will take a hard qwerty and reliable push email over social networking any day of the week.
    06-24-11 07:03 AM
    On the train this instant in the seats next to me - 5 BBs. 1 iPhone.
    This is average, every day kind of thing.

7 BBs 2 iPhones

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 07:42 AM
    Thats fine but my post is in reference to the poster that said the iphone is the de facto business phone now - which its not. Until iphone stops trying to appeal to people whose only purpose for getting one is to play angry birds - I will forever not take them seriously.
    What if we change the game to, oh I don't know, Need for Speed, and made it part of the installed software so they could appeal to people that want to play Need for Speed? Would you still not take the device "seriously"?
    06-24-11 08:23 AM
    What if we change the game to, oh I don't know, Need for Speed, and made it part of the installed software so they could appeal to people that want to play Need for Speed? Would you still not take the device "seriously"?
    Are you telling me people bought the PB for Need for Speed?
    06-24-11 08:26 AM
    No but if they throw in a burger a bag of chips and a coke I might think about it.

OK continue your thoughts on why one person prefers one device over the other and keep trying to convince the other they are wrong.

Now I'm hungry for a burger.
    06-24-11 08:30 AM
    Are you telling me people bought the PB for Need for Speed?
    I don't know every person who bought a PlayBook, so I can't claim to understand each of their purchase decisions. But I do know you didn't answer my question.
    06-24-11 08:46 AM
    "They cant sell anything other than a keyboard-candybar phone in an era where the keyboard is increasingly irrelevant or hidden away until needed".

Excuse the **** out of me, but I imagine there are quite a few people in the world who refuse to use touch screen devices. I am one of them. I prefer the Blackberry for many reasons, the keyboard being one of them, the shape and feel of the phone, etc..

Last fall, I made the mistake of trading in my Tour for an HTC Evo. It was an impulse buy that I soon regreted. First off, the Android is a "half-baked" phone. Too many apps that serve no purpose other than giving me a reason to **** around. Task killer apps slowed down the device so I was forced to "force close" running apps at least 3-5 times daily. The design of the device had sharp edges which hurt my ear when talking on it.. after 1 week I decided to take Sprint up on their 30 day return policy and get a Curve 3G. Earlier this year, Sprint released the EVO shift. I though to myself "Hmmm.. an Android with a slide-out keyboard. That'll work better for me than my Curve and I can give Android another try".. so I bought one. Sure enough, same problems with the OS! Texting on the slide out keyboard was a pain in the neck because the keys were spaced too far apart. Also, when the phone was in the slide-out position, it was too top heavy to hold steady.

If Blackberry goes under, I seriously hope that there will be devices out there which are similar. I refuse to use/own a full touch screen or slide-out keyboard device ever again. It will either be Blackberry or a "dumb phone". If a company would introduce an Android phone similarly styled like the Blackberry, and I could close apps without jumping through hoops, they would have my business.

Until RIMM is taken over, goes under or 110% ceases to exist, shut your mouths and stop slamming the company. I don't know whats worse, the bias scum bags who write these articles, or the people who read them and take them seriously.

Take your Androids and iPhones and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.
    06-24-11 08:47 AM
    I don't know every person who bought a PlayBook, so I can't claim to understand each of their purchase decisions. But I do know you didn't answer my question.
    Because your question is irrelevant. I know people who have purchased iphones for facebook, twitter or angry birds.

I dont know a single individual who purchased a PB for Need for Speed.

I use my PB for 90% business. I enjoy a few games here and there - but thats not why I bought it. To the contrary in my experience, people who have purchased an iphone do it for non-business related reasons.
    06-24-11 08:50 AM
    Because your question is irrelevant. I know people who have purchased iphones for facebook, twitter or angry birds.
    Except my question wasn't whether people bought those devices for those reasons; it was whether your opinion of the device would change if we change the game to Need for Speed. You'll note my initial comment never even referenced the PlayBook, but it was clear where I was going, so instead of responding and taking the risk of appearing foolish, you're simply dodging the question like a savvy politician.

I dont know a single individual who purchased a PB for Need for Speed.
    I don't know a single individual who purchased a PlayBook.

I use my PB for 90% business. I enjoy a few games here and there - but thats not why I bought it. To the contrary in my experience, people who have purchased an iphone do it for non-business related reasons.
    The iPhone is a consumer device, so yes, many (if not most) purchasers buy them for something other than "business" purposes. But as a "business" guy, I'm sure you can appreciate the following numbers:

150 million business-centric devices sold over 12 years, current ASP of $280 (BlackBerry)

125 million consumer-centric devices sold in less than 4 years, current ASP of $625 (iPhone)

RIM's focus on the business market has become a competitive disadvantage. If you want RIM to succeed like they used to, they can't afford to turn anyone away. Not even the people that just want to play Angry Birds.
    06-24-11 09:18 AM
    RIM's focus on the business market has become a competitive disadvantage. If you want RIM to succeed like they used to, they can't afford to turn anyone away. Not even the people that just want to play Angry Birds.
    Edited to what I want to comment on. You are correct here!
    06-24-11 09:23 AM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD