Empirical evidence suggests "security" has never been a compelling argument to consumers as a group. Many of these people think "security" is having a passcode on their device, and let's face it, there are still a ton of unsecured home wi-fi networks. The numbers don't lie; iOS and Android are moving more than 40 million devices a quarter, while RIM's most recent quarter included just 13.2 million sales. I get what you're saying, but most consumers do not share your view.
    And that would be a rather foolish practice, to not care about security. Are you suggesting that manufacturers should build for the uninformed group with foolish security practices?
    06-22-11 01:54 PM
    LOL, everyone thinks QNX will be RIM's savior. It's going to take a long time until all the QNX bugs and issues are resolved post release. The PB is the perfect example of that and they are not selling like they should.
    Apps is a major selling point, developers have to be sold on the idea that RIM will be able to sell millions of these phones to attract business. A couple of thousand apps won't cut it either.
    06-22-11 01:56 PM
    And that would be a rather foolish practice, to not care about security. Are you suggesting that manufacturers should build for the uninformed group with foolish security practices?
    I do not think that is the case. Android and iOS are improving security.

Home PC users have the ability to secure the wireless networks.

It is that the users are either lazy, ignorant, or careless, if they choose to ignore the security techniques that are available. Unfortunately, many users are, such as my friend who ignored security until he got a virus.

If many users who have owned PCs for years now still fail to secure their wireless networks, run a good AV, update Windows, do not visit dodgy sites or download attachments in emails, they cannot be expected to practice any better security measures with their smartphones.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-22-11 at 02:03 PM.
    06-22-11 01:59 PM
    I don't think he meant manufacturers should not care about it, just that the majority of consumers do not have security as one of the top reasons for buying a certain device.

Every platform has security options. It is up to the user to use them. It seems like the majority do not. I know out of all the phones I have ever used that were owned by friends, coworkers or just random people I meet, a select few had security options enabled. Otherwise, I just swiped to unlock, or pressed the standby/unlock button on top of the BB.
    06-22-11 02:06 PM
    All smartphones today have the ability to be password protected, encrypted, remote lock and remote wipe. That is more than enough. Any encrypted device may be hacked, but the data will be unreadable and unusable.
    What is more than enough for you and a lot of people, is not for other entities. If RIM abandoned the security part of their business, they would be be abandoning what made them. They need to add in the features of the other devices while still keeping their FIPS certifications. I know that means nothing to the average consumer, but it does mean something to the core customer base of RIM.
    06-22-11 02:20 PM
    I didn't argue that being less secure meant more sales; I simply argued that "security" is not a major selling point with consumers based on sales data.
    06-22-11 02:30 PM
    RIM will not abandon security, but they can't ride on the security bandwagon as an excuse for people to buy BB's.
    06-22-11 02:32 PM
    Leaving aside the implication of "I've never heard of them so they don't matter," not knowing what TechCrunch is is like not knowing Engadget if you're even remotely interested in technology.
    Yes yes - everyone is unique and matters. By your logic I should consider opinions from people Ive never heard of in making technological decisions.

Ive heard of engadget but dont know that I have ever read their crap either. I am incredibly interested in technology- i build my own PCs, I have my own media server running, I stream crap everywhere in my house, I build VB applications for stuff I do at work, i used to script php/mysql for fun. That still doesnt mean i give a crap what some ***** on the interweb says. Anyone with a few minutes to spare can write a blog... remember opinions are like a-holes, everyones got one.
    06-22-11 02:59 PM
    IBM would probably do a terrific job with BES and BIS if they bought RIM.

RIM's BlackBerry Can Rise Again - Business - Motley Fool - msnbc.com
    IBM has been attempting to "transform" a certain government agency with little success. They have been at it for literally three years and they are no closer to implementing any changes.
    I used to think highly of them. The reports I'm getting of their performance in that particular task has me really disappointed.
    06-22-11 03:14 PM
    Most people do not give a crap about what phones people own.
    People here seem to be obsessed with people who use BBerries instead of Android or Apple. One particular troll regularly proclaims how there is absolutely no reason why anyone should ever buy a BB.

I could not care one flying fig what anyone uses. Similarly, I want people to leave me to my choice in peace.
    gritsinct and grover5 like this.
    06-22-11 03:19 PM
    IBM has been attempting to "transform" a certain government agency with little success. They have been at it for literally three years and they are no closer to implementing any changes.
    I used to think highly of them. The reports I'm getting of their performance in that particular task has me really disappointed.
    Is Master Data Management the service that has not been working?
    06-22-11 03:23 PM
    Stupid thread is stupid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 03:25 PM
    A big reason for that is the average consumer doesn't necessarily need top security either. At the consumer level, the average user isn't carrying around sensitive trade documents or state secrets. Despite what many would think, brands other than BB do have suitable security for their purposes (and can be ramped up at the enterprise level). As to whether the user opts to put that security to work is another matter. For most consumers, the security offered by the BlackBerry brand is overkill.
    No, people don't carry around state secrets (neither would anyone worth their pay grade) but people do carry around contact lists, for example, that they don't want hacked. Or I want to make sure that my banking apps are perfectly safe.
    I will gladly take BB's security overkill over the vulnerabilities inherent in an open source system or devices where cottage industries spring up running how-tos for hacks.

Additionally, security is not compromised simply by virtue of laying hold of state secrets. Plenty of damage can be done with just one high level person's contact list alone.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-22-11 at 03:30 PM.
    06-22-11 03:27 PM
    06-22-11 03:30 PM
    Is Master Data Management the service that has not been working?
    I will say no to that question....and not answer any others...
    06-22-11 03:30 PM
    People here seem to be obsessed with people who use BBerries instead of Android or Apple. One particular troll regularly proclaims how there is absolutely no reason why anyone should ever buy a BB.

I could not care one flying fig what anyone uses. Similarly, I want people to leave me to my choice in peace.
    This is a tech forum. This is not the general public though. It is expected to see those types of people on these sites. For some reason people on platform forums care. In the real world, the majority don't and that is what I am talking about.
    06-22-11 04:01 PM
    You're right. I see your point.

But people should still leave people alone about their choices!!!!
    06-22-11 04:04 PM
    You're right. I see your point.

But people should still leave people alone about their choices!!!!
    I totally agree. I am open for debate, but someone's choice is someone's choice and it should be left at that.

Even though my device is so much better than yours.
    06-22-11 04:08 PM
    I totally agree. I am open for debate, but someone's choice is someone's choice and it should be left at that.

Even though my device is so much better than yours.
    PPPPPFFFFFFTTTT!!!!!!

Cheeky monkey!!!!
    06-22-11 04:23 PM
    IBM would probably do a terrific job with BES and BIS if they bought RIM.
    Ah yes, the people who more or less gave away Thinkpad to a company based in a potentially hostile nation.
    06-22-11 06:46 PM
    No, people don't carry around state secrets (neither would anyone worth their pay grade) but people do carry around contact lists, for example, that they don't want hacked. Or I want to make sure that my banking apps are perfectly safe.
    I will gladly take BB's security overkill over the vulnerabilities inherent in an open source system or devices where cottage industries spring up running how-tos for hacks.

Additionally, security is not compromised simply by virtue of laying hold of state secrets. Plenty of damage can be done with just one high level person's contact list alone.
    You might wonder where the target lists are derived for the recent spear-phishing attacks through gmail.

Thinking a little wider, how many email users rely on systems like gmail? How many have ever stopped to consider the conflict between privacy/security and Google's datamining habits?
    06-22-11 07:00 PM
    You might wonder where the target lists are derived for the recent spear-phishing attacks through gmail.

Thinking a little wider, how many email users rely on systems like gmail? How many have ever stopped to consider the conflict between privacy/security and Google's datamining habits?
    Great point!! Recently got rid of my gmail due to all the crap and viruses my pc has been fighting.
    Recently googled info about my car- next day I start getting e-mails from my son and some of my friends about these cheap auto loans. Well neither my son or my friends sent me them and I wasn't looking to buy a car- just find out when they recommended an oil change. Coincidence??? I think not.
    06-22-11 09:52 PM
    Yep. They are dead now. The article is correct. The minute iphones started becoming de facto in most businesses (its all I see in meetings with customers now) and BES added support for android and iphone apps the writing is on the wall. There is no business phones anymore. Its finished. RIM's goose is cooked.
    06-22-11 11:07 PM
    I said it in other threads, and I'll say it here too I guess.

You don't have to be number 1 or 2 to be a viable competitor. RIM is very stable financially and will have no trouble putting out products in the future. They make the only phone that truly suits my needs, and I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that.

Dethroned? yes. Dead? Not by a long shot.
    gritsinct likes this.
    06-23-11 02:28 AM
    Ah yes, the people who more or less gave away Thinkpad to a company based in a potentially hostile nation.
    Being a PC manufacturer no longer fit IBM's business model. They are now a software and services provider.

Beside, what PC is not manufactured in China?

I have a Dell desktop, Toshiba laptop, and HP laptop all made in China.
    06-23-11 03:02 AM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD