06-27-11 11:34 AM
115 1234 ...
tools
    Still selling but that number is declining. Not a good sign in highly competitive market.

Edit: I meant % increase Compared to same quarter last year.
    Declining on an aging product line and no new phones since November 2010. People are waiting for the new phones. Q2 wont be great either, but I bet in Q3 and Q4 they will be back on the upswing.
    menaknow likes this.
    06-22-11 01:22 PM
  2. T
    Wow, you are one angry person.
    Not nearly as angry as the people crying all the time because their BlackBerry handsets are "outdated," lol.
    You obviously have no clue.
    Okay. Offer me a free top-of-the-line iPhone or Android with a year's worth of service included. Comeon. Just for fun. I promise you I won't take you up on it.
    06-22-11 01:25 PM
    Not nearly as angry as the people crying all the time because their BlackBerry handsets are "outdated," lol.
    They have valid points as well. You just called the guy an ******* and he has valid points. Why the need to insult someone? You didn't even provide a counter argument. You went straight to the insults.

Okay. Offer me a free top-of-the-line iPhone or Android with a year's worth of service included. Comeon. Just for fun. I promise you I won't take you up on it.
    I have no reason to waste my money. You love your BB, that is great. I am happy for you.

Please though, explain how owning a device makes you part of a society. Most people do not give a crap about what phones people own.
    06-22-11 01:28 PM
    two words that will change the tide this season.....

Android Player

great apps on great hardware = happy playbook users
    Honestly I don't think the player will have as much of an effect as you think. Applications still need to be modified and repackaged to work with QNX.

So it is still in the hands of the developers. But if it's a simple task, then yes I can see developers thinking its a quick win into another market....

And that is assuming that RIM approves applications quickly...
    06-22-11 01:34 PM
    Still selling but that number is declining. Not a good sign in highly competitive market.

Edit: I meant % increase Compared to same quarter last year.
    Agreed, but there hasn't been many new products. Sales will rise with the release of some newer devices. Whether or not that will be enough is the question.
    blackberry-pimp likes this.
    06-22-11 01:39 PM
    Who is Mobile Crunch? Never heard of them. John Biggs might as well be Biggie Small for all I care or know of him . Just like I have never heard of the other several thousand self professed tech bloggers who think a smart phone should be a mobile movie theater.

Quoted from the article.

"I remember a few years ago I was invited onto MTV (and never invited back) to talk about the top smartphones."

Shouldnt that tell you something? LOL! You cant even get invited back to Lame TV to talk about... what you blog about.

Every single one of his points is pure, unadulterated conjecture mixed in with myopic stupidity.
    gravymonster likes this.
    06-22-11 01:39 PM
    Empirical evidence suggests "security" has never been a compelling argument to consumers as a group. Many of these people think "security" is having a passcode on their device, and let's face it, there are still a ton of unsecured home wi-fi networks. The numbers don't lie; iOS and Android are moving more than 40 million devices a quarter, while RIM's most recent quarter included just 13.2 million sales. I get what you're saying, but most consumers do not share your view.
    A big reason for that is the average consumer doesn't necessarily need top security either. At the consumer level, the average user isn't carrying around sensitive trade documents or state secrets. Despite what many would think, brands other than BB do have suitable security for their purposes (and can be ramped up at the enterprise level). As to whether the user opts to put that security to work is another matter. For most consumers, the security offered by the BlackBerry brand is overkill.
    Laura Knotek and 1magine like this.
    06-22-11 01:44 PM
    Who is Mobile Crunch? Never heard of them.
    MobileCrunch is part of TechCrunch.
    About
    06-22-11 01:46 PM
    A big reason for that is the average consumer doesn't necessarily need top security either. At the consumer level, the average user isn't carrying around sensitive trade documents or state secrets. Despite what many would think, brands other than BB do have suitable security for their purposes (and can be ramped up at the enterprise level). As to whether the user opts to put that security to work is another matter. For most consumers, the security offered by the BlackBerry brand is overkill.
    It is also the user who is the security liability more than the platform. Users install apps, click on hyperlinks, etc., without any consideration of what they are doing. Having tight security available will do no good if the user does not know or care enough.
    06-22-11 01:50 PM
    And iOS and Android aren't killing security in the government space. Rim has to go from one side of the spectrum towards the other (business/security to consumer), and Apple and Android are trying to go from the opposite direction (consumer to business/security). Neither side has made a product that covers the entire spectrum yet. QNX phone could be the first but time (too much damn time) will tell.
    branflakes likes this.
    06-22-11 01:55 PM
  11. T
    Most people do not give a crap about what phones people own.
    Really? Then why are so many tech blog articles about "cool" phones? What does "cool" mean? I mean, this guy is obviously one of those jerks, because he talks about " ... thick, heavy IT-department-assigned business laptop." What's wrong with those laptops? Not "cool" enough? I myself like the thick, heavy design of my ThinkPad.
    I have no reason to waste my money.
    You wouldn't be. I said I wouldn't take you up on it.

Who is Mobile Crunch? Never heard of them. John Biggs might as well be Biggie Small for all I care or know of him. Just like I have never heard of the other several thousand self professed tech bloggers who think a smart phone should be a mobile movie theater.

Every single one of his points is pure, unadulterated conjecture mixed in with myopic stupidity.
    Avt123 thinks the blogger has valid points:
    You just called the guy an ******* and he has valid points.
    I'm leaning toward pure, unadulterated conjecture mixed in with myopic stupidity and other unadulterated bullsh*t, lol.
    06-22-11 02:13 PM
    MobileCrunch is part of TechCrunch.
    About
    Never heard of them either.
    06-22-11 02:19 PM
    I think the blogger makes valid points in his comparison to devices (PCs and smartphones) used in the corporate world to those used by consumers.

For example, most businesses do not run the latest and greatest desktops/laptops, whether hardware or software. They do not have it in the budget to upgrade the hardware quickly, and they cannot upgrade the OS software, since they have so much legacy software they need to support for specialized programs they need to run.

Consumers will buy new PCs with the latest version of Windows quickly after release, unlike the businesses, most of which are still running XP on old machines (and many still running IE6). I got Windows 7 the day it was released (and had been running beta releases prior to that). I do not even use IE9, much less really old versions of IE.
    06-22-11 02:28 PM
    Thanks. This is the point I've made 10K times over. An armored-up HumVee is very secure but unnessary for most people's daily needs. An Abrams tank is even more secure, but I never see one on I95. All smartphones today have the ability to be password protected, encrypted, remote lock and remote wipe. That is more than enough. Any encrypted device may be hacked, but the data will be unreadable and unusable.
    06-22-11 02:30 PM
    Never heard of them either.
    This really doesn't do much to dispel the stereotype of BlackBerry users being technologically backwards with their heads stuck in the sand.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-22-11 02:32 PM
    Really? Then why are so many tech blog articles about "cool" phones? What does "cool" mean? I mean, this guy is obviously one of those jerks, because he talks about " ... thick, heavy IT-department-assigned business laptop." What's wrong with those laptops? Not "cool" enough? I myself like the thick, heavy design of my ThinkPad.
    You just proved you point wrong within the same post. You just listed "tech blogs". The majority of people with cellphones/smartphones do not read tech blogs. This is the minority.

I am willing to even bet that the majority of people on this website only visit this site and no other tech blogs.

Thick and heavy devices are just that, thick and heavy. I for one do not want to lug around a fat *** laptop all day when I can get a smaller thinner one, or possibly a tablet (if it is capable enough).

You wouldn't be. I said I wouldn't take you up on it.
    I thought you meant to present you with the device and the bill already paid. if so, that require money. If you are talking about just offering it before having it, that's different.

Avt123 thinks the blogger has valid points:
    I'm leaning toward pure, unadulterated conjecture mixed in with myopic stupidity and other unadulterated bullsh*t, lol.
    He does. Many people have already moved on. You have some of the most loyal BB owners in the world that participate on this site, and they are ready to bounce (not using this as accurate information about the entire consumer space, just an example).

RIM's competitors ARE stronger and faster. There is absolutely no arguing this. RIM has been putting the same exact flagship device since 2008 with minor hardware update and software updates. The 9000 was the last RIM device to be a game changer (even then it lacked hardware the competitors had). There have been a number of Android devices that have set standards since, and the iPhone is always the one people compare things too. Guess what, Google and Apple also have more money than RIM. They have more capabilities to be faster.

The PlayBook is obviously not as big of a hit as RIM thought it would be. I read a thread int he PB forums where the guy says RIM launched the PB in Australia, but you can't even buy it yet. WTF is that? Some European carriers say the thing isn't ready. The biggest complaint about the device is lack of native email client, while every single other tablet on the market has this. Yes, even the WiFi only ones. The company known for email, didn't include email. It still isn't even provided.

That being said, the PB is still a beautiful, powerful and capable device. perception matters. The PB can bake me a cake and poor me a coffe, but once something so trivial as email is mentioned to not be included, bad pres automatically hits. This changes the entire game for the PB.

Just because you do not agree with the points, that doesn't make them any less valid.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-22-11 at 02:36 PM.
    06-22-11 02:32 PM
    As to security, I would note that the IPAD is allowed through many corporate servers (Citrix), where the QNX weilding Playbook is not.
    Last edited by 1magine; 06-22-11 at 02:46 PM.
    06-22-11 02:33 PM
    This really doesn't do much to dispel the stereotype of BlackBerry users being technologically backwards with their heads stuck in the sand.
    Why? Because I dont read 15,000 tech blogs about peoples opinions? I love technology - I just dont get my information from bloggers with squeaky red noses on.
    06-22-11 02:34 PM
    As to security, I would note that the PB is allowed through many corporate servers (Citrix), where the QNX weilding Playbook is not.
    Was PB suppose to be iPad? Or maybe BB? Because "the PlayBook is allowed through many corporate servers, where the QNX wielding PlayBook is not" makes no sense. lol
    chiefbroski likes this.
    06-22-11 02:38 PM
    Why? Because I dont read 15,000 tech blogs about peoples opinions? I love technology - I just dont get my information from bloggers with squeaky red noses on.
    Leaving aside the implication of "I've never heard of them so they don't matter," not knowing what TechCrunch is is like not knowing Engadget if you're even remotely interested in technology.
    06-22-11 02:40 PM
    You just proved you point wrong within the same post. You just listed "tech blogs". The majority of people with cellphones/smartphones do not read tech blogs. This is the minority.

I am willing to even bet that the majority of people on this website only visit this site and no other tech blogs.
    I am sure you are probably correct. I happen to read a lot of tech blogs, but I am an IT student and will be working in the profession hopefully soon, once I finish school.

I subscribe to RSS feeds from this site and many others, including: Fierce Wireless, Fierce Telecom, Fierce Cable, GigaOM, PCWorld, ZDNet, Computerworld, Network World, TechCrunch, The Linux Foundation, Threat Level, Linux Journal, and Linux Today.
    06-22-11 02:44 PM
    Was PB suppose to be iPad? Or maybe BB? Because "the PlayBook is allowed through many corporate servers, where the QNX wielding PlayBook is not" makes no sense. lol

LOL. Thanks Edited to say - IPAD.
    06-22-11 02:45 PM
    I am sure you are probably correct. I happen to read a lot of tech blogs, but I am an IT student and will be working in the profession hopefully soon, once I finish school.

I subscribe to RSS feeds from this site and many others, including: Fierce Wireless, Fierce Telecom, Fierce Cable, GigaOM, PCWorld, ZDNet, Computerworld, Network World, TechCrunch, The Linux Foundation, Threat Level, Linux Journal, and Linux Today.
    Exactly, you are an IT guy.

Just think about the amount of people that sign up to this site and never come back, or ask the dumbest (easiest things to figure out on your own) questions. I highly doubt the latter is a tech fan. The majority of people who I know who understand and read up on tech news, have no problems figuring things out for themselves.

Anyways, my main point was that we are the minority (people that read tech sites).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-22-11 02:50 PM
    LOL. Thanks Edited to say - IPAD.
    Haha no doubt.
    06-22-11 02:51 PM
    I like reading the news to broaden my knowledge, especially technology. But recently, the articles have gone for more quantity over quality. Every day there 100 new bloggers touting the demise of RIM....its starting to get boring and I'm starting not to care anymore. It's coming to the point where opinion pieces are blurred with new articles that should have some perspective and I don't learn anything new except a new realization of the number of haters out there. haha.

Blackberry phones will be on sale in Canada for a while anyway, and people will still buy them, and the media will do what they do.
    06-22-11 02:53 PM
115 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD