06-27-11 10:34 AM
115 123 ...
tools
    06-22-11 10:30 AM
    WOW i just want to know what will happen to BIS and BES if RIM dies, will we still get out push services?
    06-22-11 10:40 AM
    Bah... just another blackberry-hating article.

Yup, rim are going through a terrible time, however does not mean they can't come back. Wait till QNX phones. Probably a very slow start, but they will eventually make an impact and start developing an interest.

I've got mates who don't know why I'm getting a 9900... because it has no apps. That's the main reason. That phone with a wealth of apps would be perfect. That's where the Market is.

RIM just need to hurry up and push products out the door quicker and start working hard on future platforms. rim can still catch up... the just need to put a lot of effort into it.

With QNX, they will also be able to Market great fun phones with a variety of apps, bbm, and at the same time, they make great business phones. Attracting to both markets.
    06-22-11 10:45 AM
    With QNX, they will also be able to Market great fun phones with a variety of apps, bbm, and at the same time, they make great business phones. Attracting to both markets.
    I think that's what worries people, that at the moment there is no set timeline for when we will see QNX loaded phones, especially with the release of the OS7 devices getting pushed further and further back.
    06-22-11 10:47 AM
    Well on the basis of this article I will dress in sackcloth, smear myself in ashes and go down the street crying woe is me....
    06-22-11 10:49 AM
    Hate that this is most likely true.

RIM needs to partner with HP and make beautiful webOS handsets...become a handset company, build some layering, utilize their BIS and BES systems for business users.....problem solved.
    curvedthumb likes this.
    06-22-11 10:50 AM
    There has been talk of someone buying out RIM for quite a while now. The talk has intensified reciently due to the stock price falling making them an easy target for a buyout. The names that have been associated with buying them are Apple (just to get rid of them. not very likely), H.P. (also not likely), Dell (maybe, but doubtful), and Microsoft (the most probable. They have a lot of cash that needs to be spent and are have been wanting to get into the smartphone/hardware end for a long time). Will it happen? It doesn't appear an independent company can survive in todays market with all the money being thrown a developers by the likes of Google. Of course this is just my opinion.
    06-22-11 10:54 AM
    with all of RIM's recent troubles, is it really possible to get a solid QNX system in a year? I would say a year and a half is optimistic... which means that the 9900 series would still be at the top for at least a year
    06-22-11 10:55 AM
    Apple should buy Blackberry and make a nice crumble lol, i love Apple and Blackberry Crumble
    timberdc likes this.
    06-22-11 10:58 AM
  10. T
    Even if what this Class A a**hole Biggs writes is true, that RIM is "third" behind the other two, it doesn't mean RIM is doomed. The guy either can't think and reason properly, or he's a paid propagandist. Oh, and if he agrees with this:

"Here’s why. There is no money in 'business' phones. Blackberries aren’t status symbols. They’re the real-world equivalent of the thick, heavy IT-department-assigned business laptop. They’re staid, boring, and unwanted but people are used to them and, for email, they are quite capable. But that’s about it,"

he's part of the same sh*t society that shares that view, the same sh*t society that would choose an Android that freezes all the time over a secure BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    blackberry-pimp and gritsinct like this.
    06-22-11 11:04 AM
    As someone posted, RIM is rope for a takeover due to low stock cost. Keep in mind, they not inly get RIM, but they get QNX, Alt-N Technologies, Certicon Corp, MDaemon, Security Gateway, RelayFax, DataViz amd TheAstonishingTribe, making them a VERY good purchase by a technology company. Apple would buy this purely for the technology AND the patents, which we all know they love to own (and sue). Microsoft makes sense because if they want to OWN the business market, perfect choice. HP makes sense to be able to marry both of those together, which to me makes the most sense.
    06-22-11 11:07 AM
    I don't think it will be HP because they just recently acquired Palm and it's tablet.
    06-22-11 11:11 AM
    Yes it's possible to get QNX on handheld's in the time frame put forth from RIM. There is currently R&D on this very topic underway.
    blackberry-pimp likes this.
    06-22-11 11:12 AM
    Yes it's possible to get QNX on handheld's in the time frame put forth from RIM. There is currently R&D on this very topic underway.
    It is my impression that getting QNX on a handset is where the majority of RIM's research dollars are going, and rightly so.
    06-22-11 11:15 AM
    No matter which side ends up correct, you have to admit, it will be an interesting year or so.
    06-22-11 11:28 AM
    It's a good read/rant. But for me, phones with 4 inch screens are off my shopping list because my Playbook is always handy. I'm only interested a candy bar phone now with a tactile keyboard. But I recognize that I am in a slim minority.

06-22-11 11:33 AM
  17. T
    I'm a consumer, and I care about the security of data stored on my mobile device. My entry level, dinosaur of a BlackBerry is more secure than a top-of-the-line iPhone or Android. I wouldn't want an iPhone or an Android if someone gave it to me for free with a year's worth of service included.
    06-22-11 11:35 AM
    I'm a consumer, and I care about the security of data stored on my mobile device. My entry level, dinosaur of a BlackBerry is more secure than a top-of-the-line iPhone or Android. I wouldn't want an iPhone or an Android if someone gave it to me for free with a year's worth of service included.
    Empirical evidence suggests "security" has never been a compelling argument to consumers as a group. Many of these people think "security" is having a passcode on their device, and let's face it, there are still a ton of unsecured home wi-fi networks. The numbers don't lie; iOS and Android are moving more than 40 million devices a quarter, while RIM's most recent quarter included just 13.2 million sales. I get what you're saying, but most consumers do not share your view.
    menaknow likes this.
    06-22-11 11:41 AM
    two words that will change the tide this season.....

Android Player

great apps on great hardware = happy playbook users
    06-22-11 11:49 AM
    WOW i just want to know what will happen to BIS and BES if RIM dies, will we still get out push services?
    IBM would probably do a terrific job with BES and BIS if they bought RIM.

RIM's BlackBerry Can Rise Again - Business - Motley Fool - msnbc.com

We don't think RIM is an acquisition target at this time (perhaps HP should have waited a year and bought RIM instead of Palm), but it's only natural that the discussion about a purchase interest in RIM is gaining traction. We heard that Comcast could be potentially interested in the company, but we that IBM would offer a much more interesting deal: Given the rivalry between HP and IBM, RIM could embarrass HP and seamlessly fit into IBM's business strategy, which focused on delivering IT solutions for enterprises. Realistically, the consumer business has never been a great fit for RIM and always seemed a bit awkward.

IBM could lead the way back to RIM's roots and strengths.
    06-22-11 11:58 AM
    So they have 60 million subscribers and they are third in a growing sector and are doomed?! Everyone is saying MS will be taking the third spot soon, but I have yet to see a single WP7 phone out in the world or see anyone say they are great. WP7 is just Microsofts newest failure in smartphone OS's. They are still selling over 13 million phones a quarter, bet microsoft doesn't sell that in a year.
    blackberry-pimp likes this.
    06-22-11 11:59 AM
    They are still selling over 13 million phones a quarter, bet microsoft doesn't sell that in a year.
    Still selling but that number is declining. Not a good sign in highly competitive market.

Edit: I meant % increase Compared to same quarter last year.
    Last edited by bhavi_jp; 06-22-11 at 12:08 PM.
    06-22-11 12:05 PM
    Empirical evidence suggests "security" has never been a compelling argument to consumers as a group. Many of these people think "security" is having a passcode on their device, and let's face it, there are still a ton of unsecured home wi-fi networks.
    Hard to believe and understand why, but very true.

The numbers don't lie; iOS and Android are moving more than 40 million devices a quarter, while RIM's most recent quarter included just 13.2 million sales. I get what you're saying, but most consumers do not share your view.
    Another reason RIM will be bought out. An independent company with a single focus just isn't going to be able to survive in this market. Just look at the competition, Apple and Google. Than look at Palm. Can you say Microsoft BlackBerry?
    06-22-11 12:05 PM
    Empirical evidence suggests "security" has never been a compelling argument to consumers as a group. Many of these people think "security" is having a passcode on their device, and let's face it, there are still a ton of unsecured home wi-fi networks. The numbers don't lie; iOS and Android are moving more than 40 million devices a quarter, while RIM's most recent quarter included just 13.2 million sales. I get what you're saying, but most consumers do not share your view.
    I do believe the evidence. I cleaned a virus infection from a friend's PC. This friend never ran any of the Windows updates and had an unsecured home Wi-Fi network.

This same friend did not use a password on his phone.

I got his network secured and set up his PC to automatically install Windows updates. I also got him updated AV software.

I still have no idea if he uses a password on his phone, but at least the PC is secured now.
    06-22-11 12:09 PM
    Even if what this Class A a**hole Biggs writes is true, that RIM is "third" behind the other two, it doesn't mean RIM is doomed. The guy either can't think and reason properly, or he's a paid propagandist. Oh, and if he agrees with this:

"Here’s why. There is no money in 'business' phones. Blackberries aren’t status symbols. They’re the real-world equivalent of the thick, heavy IT-department-assigned business laptop. They’re staid, boring, and unwanted but people are used to them and, for email, they are quite capable. But that’s about it,"

he's part of the same sh*t society that shares that view, the same sh*t society that would choose an Android that freezes all the time over a secure BlackBerry.

Wow, you are one angry person. The dude is a Class A ******* because he has a very valid point? A point that seems to be shared by majority of the media, Analysts (that talk about RIM) and some of RIMs major share holders. I guess everyone that just doesn't agree with you is a Class A *******.

So now people are part of **** societies (People are part of a special society if they own a device? Wow, you sound exactly like an Apple fanboy, and the cult that people love to bring up) if they chose an Android device? My Android devices have never froze, unlike my BBs that needed battery pulls every day (it should tell you something when one of the number one selling apps was QuickPull). I didn't mind it because I enjoyed using my BB, but it got old. I have only restarted my iPhone 4 3 times since VZW release. I only restarted my Droid X when I needed to boot into recovery to load another ROM/theme. You obviously have no clue.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-22-11 at 12:14 PM.
    06-22-11 12:12 PM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD