06-18-11 08:42 AM
39 12
tools
    I have no doubt somebody is gonna make a lot of money out of the current low share prices and out of people panic selling.

Just as some people will be making a fortune out of the housing markets around the world right now.

Who can buy and sit on them for a while they'll be reworded.

Do investors really think shares can only go up and up? Bubles burst.

I am more afraid Rim will bow to pressure from people that want blackberry to be more like iphone or android. I don't want that, I like blackberry the way it is, OS6 was quite a big change already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 01:54 PM
    ...average BB users do not have such a big dilemma about QNX, not sure how many even know what it is
    +1 for this statement. I only know 7 people that use BB (myself included) and 6 don't know what the os is or does. They could care less about what version it is, or what the hardware specs of the phone are. All they care about is the user experience.

If the os7 phones provide a smooth, reasonably fast, and reliable user experience, the vast majority of people that buy it will buy it because it works. They won't know or care that it is running a 10+ year old os or that a new one is coming soon. They won't even care about the hardware being "behind" the competition.

All that matters to most people is how it "feels" in the hand. If it "feels" good it will sell

Last edited by dairyberry; 06-17-11 at 01:58 PM.
    06-17-11 01:55 PM
    +1 for this statement. I only know 7 people that use BB (myself included) and 6 don't know what the os is or does. They could care less about what version it is, or what the hardware specs of the phone are. All they care about is the user experience.

If the os7 phones provide a smooth, reasonably fast, and reliable user experience the vast majority of people will buy it because it works. They won't know or care that it is running a 10+ year old os or that a new one is coming soon. They won't even care about the hardware being "behind" the competition.

All that matters tomost people is how it "feels" in the hand. If it "feels" good it will sell

Never mind OS versions, most people I know don't even know the Destop Manager exists. I think once people will hold the 9900 in their hands they will instantly fall in love

06-17-11 01:58 PM
    if the average consumer doesn't care about a new fancier OS then why is blackberry losing marketshare to android like a black hole? i'm sorry, but for anyone thinking qnx is going to save the day or especially anyone thinking people that have left will ever come back...i was as devoted as it gets, i'd truly love to see RIM thrive, but it's not going to happen, blackberry had the most loyal fanbase, people who left were fed up, i don't think you get that back. if a qnx handset does ever see the light of day there isn't going to be some sudden marketshare growth for them, at this point they've lost so much it'll take years to start gaining again, i just want RIM to show a roadmap is all, i don't understand all the secrets, unless they just don't know what they're doing, which investors seem to think is the case.
    06-17-11 02:53 PM
    My contract has over another year to go, so its Torch w/ OS 6 for me for a little while longer, but I do really want to see QNX phones by the time my contract is up in late 2012.

As for people jumping ship, does the stock price of RIM or its finances influence your phone buying decision? If it does, thats kinda dumb. I like the BB platform and as long it is around, I can't see switching. I guess people like a winner and RIM right now looks like a loser on Wall Street, but if the phones are still good, who cares?
    06-17-11 03:10 PM
    if the average consumer doesn't care about a new fancier OS then why is blackberry losing marketshare to android like a black hole?
    Because that's what the carriers are pushing to the gills. Why they are doing that is a whole other discussion.

06-17-11 03:11 PM
    Double post

This message is approved by my transformer
    06-17-11 03:44 PM
    My contract has over another year to go, so its Torch w/ OS 6 for me for a little while longer, but I do really want to see QNX phones by the time my contract is up in late 2012.

As for people jumping ship, does the stock price of RIM or its finances influence your phone buying decision? If it does, thats kinda dumb. I like the BB platform and as long it is around, I can't see switching. I guess people like a winner and RIM right now looks like a loser on Wall Street, but if the phones are still good, who cares?
    I switched to android since last year. I started with the curve and then to the storm 1 & 2. All my time with RIM they moved from BB OS 4.XX to 5.XXX but to me there were no changes or advances. And then 6.XX came out but you have to buy a new phone just to get a better web browsing experince and other some other additional features. I got tired of it and left for android.

06-17-11 03:45 PM

I disagree with this, buying a smartphone and investing in an eco-system is time consuming and is hard to transition away from.

For instance, my friend invested in a windows 6.5 phone, it has been discontinued. Now he has a bunch of stuff that is incompatible with new phones, that he needs for work, his business and his personal life.

Knowing a company may be going out of business- or being bought up by another company who will likely not support the platform further, is not a company I, or many other people, want to buy into.
    06-17-11 04:51 PM
    Generally phones only have 2-3 year contracts and then you get a new phone, worrying about a company's stock price is kinda stupid.

Would you not lease a car bc it could be discontinued in the future? Then I guess there would be a lot of GM cars in recent year you made a mistake in leasing that are no longer manufactured.

So what, no one can still use their Palm phones?

Face it, even if RIM has an apocalypse and goes under, your phone and carrier will be safe for years. BTW, I don't see that happening to RIM, but hypothetically speaking.

RIM is still too big for a takeover and far too big to go under at this point.
    06-17-11 08:23 PM
    Generally phones only have 2-3 year contracts and then you get a new phone, worrying about a company's stock price is kinda stupid.

Would you not lease a car bc it could be discontinued in the future? Then I guess there would be a lot of GM cars in recent year you made a mistake in leasing that are no longer manufactured.

So what, no one can still use their Palm phones?

Face it, even if RIM has an apocalypse and goes under, your phone and carrier will be safe for years. BTW, I don't see that happening to RIM, but hypothetically speaking.

RIM is still too big for a takeover and far too big to go under at this point.

I'm just saying, if I were looking for a new phone and had the choice between RIM, Apple and Android (and I was just an average consumer who doesn't lurk tech forums,) I'd probably go with the latter two. I'd still notice the fact that every single media outlet in the world is crapping on rim left and right.

Couple that with a very poor hardware line and it's easy to see why someone wouldn't want to spend a good amount of money, time and effort in buying into the Blackberry platform.
    06-18-11 01:35 AM
    I agree, but for very different reasons. RIM simply doesn't market their devices to the consumer anywhere near as well as Apple or Google.

****, Google gets everyone from Verizon, Sprint, ATT, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc. to market their devices. Apple gets carriers to fight about features, like better call quality (Verizon) vs. better multitasking (ATT). Apple themselves does a brilliant job of marketing their devices, even when there are problems with them, no one cares.

RIM needs an aggressive new marketing campaign to appeal to the consumer and a new image. I have no idea what that is, if I did I would be a wealthy man in business marketing...
    06-18-11 06:34 AM
    I agree, but for very different reasons. RIM simply doesn't market their devices to the consumer anywhere near as well as Apple or Google.

****, Google gets everyone from Verizon, Sprint, ATT, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc. to market their devices. Apple gets carriers to fight about features, like better call quality (Verizon) vs. better multitasking (ATT). Apple themselves does a brilliant job of marketing their devices, even when there are problems with them, no one cares.

RIM needs an aggressive new marketing campaign to appeal to the consumer and a new image. I have no idea what that is, if I did I would be a wealthy man in business marketing...
    Google doesn't make any devices, they give the android OS away for free to all manufacturers that want it.

06-18-11 07:31 AM
    I know, but they get everyone else to market their Android platform, which is in itself brilliant.
    06-18-11 08:42 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD