06-18-11 08:42 AM
39 12
tools
    Hi guys,

just an opinion here.

As we know, OS7 is not based on QNX. QNX is not backward compatible to OS 7. OS 7 is 'just' OS 6.1, renamed to make it sound more 'new'.

The problem I see is that RIM now has 2 operating systems (actually more, if you take OS 5/6 into account) to manage and develop.

Clearly they're already in big trouble even delivering the essential functionality of QNX yet in terms of bridge/apps and OS 7 is not going to be a far step from OS 6.

Especially moving on by next year to implement QNX as OS 8 (or whatever) into the handphones, OS 7 will be abandoned again regarding compatibility.

Therefore, just my opinion to share, I think RIM is taking the wrong approach to all the problems they're having.

As an example, Apple only has 1 OS: iOS (all versions almost completely compatible to each other, iPad could run all iPhone apps upon launch)
    Android has a quite reliable compatibility outline.
    Web OS by HP is only one OS.

The biggest problem arising is that people will probably have to pay for apps again and will not see the same apps on every device - but moreover, developers will rather abandon the idea of adapting to all platforms over and over again and especially if there is not a large amount of people you can reach with your program.

My idea would be to stay with OS 6 until they are ready with QNX for mobile phones and make it backward compatible - and inter-compatible to Playbook apps.

They're making their life harder than it is already...
    06-16-11 11:08 PM
    I plan to skip OS 7 devices. My upgrade is due now, but I do not want to take a 2 year contract on a device that will no longer be supported in one year.

I will get a QNX device next year or switch to a different platform next year.
    06-16-11 11:16 PM
    I'm sure they've taken this into consideration..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-11 11:18 PM
    Hi guys,

just an opinion here.

As we know, OS7 is not based on QNX. QNX is not backward compatible to OS 7. OS 7 is 'just' OS 6.1, renamed to make it sound more 'new'.

The problem I see is that RIM now has 2 operating systems (actually more, if you take OS 5/6 into account) to manage and develop.

Clearly they're already in big trouble even delivering the essential functionality of QNX yet in terms of bridge/apps and OS 7 is not going to be a far step from OS 6.

Especially moving on by next year to implement QNX as OS 8 (or whatever) into the handphones, OS 7 will be abandoned again regarding compatibility.

Therefore, just my opinion to share, I think RIM is taking the wrong approach to all the problems they're having.

As an example, Apple only has 1 OS: iOS (all versions almost completely compatible to each other, iPad could run all iPhone apps upon launch)
    Android has a quite reliable compatibility outline.
    Web OS by HP is only one OS.

The biggest problem arising is that people will probably have to pay for apps again and will not see the same apps on every device - but moreover, developers will rather abandon the idea of adapting to all platforms over and over again and especially if there is not a large amount of people you can reach with your program.

My idea would be to stay with OS 6 until they are ready with QNX for mobile phones and make it backward compatible - and inter-compatible to Playbook apps.

They're making their life harder than it is already...
    With the app player concept, RIM can make all the older OS7, 6, 5... apps run on QNX. In fact that might even be the plan as part of transitioning.
    06-17-11 01:42 AM
    In the meantime, cheap devices for us

06-17-11 02:21 AM
    i really love 9900, the other OS 7 devices look great as well, but for me its definitely gonna be the 9900

and even tho QNX devices will come out next year, i still plan on buying the 9900
    RIM wouldnt release OS 7 devices, if they'd be able to release QNX phones in Q1 2012, i think its gonna be at least 1 year after the OS 7 devices till QNX phones will be released

so its gonna be like this:
    1 year bold 9700 -> 1 year bold 9900 -> QNX phone

i plan on immediately buying QNX devices when they come out, i was really excited about it when they first announced it, but right now... i only care about the bold 9900.. i think its gonna be an awesome devices

and if you should happen to NOT like the QNX phones, for example the UI, or if they didnt integrate a lot of the old OS features, you could still just keep ur OS 7 phone till they bring out better QNX phones, or upgraded the software
    of course OS 7 wont have that many apps as their future QNX, but well... im sure OS 7 will have great apps as well
    you'd still have a really reliable and great OS till you finally switch phones, of course the support for OS 7, the upgrades etc will be low when QNX hits the market, but well... it'll be up to you

but i think QNX is gonna be fantastic and will help RIM recover from the "bad" situation they're in now
    looking forward to it
    Last edited by Seijuro; 06-17-11 at 04:44 AM.
    06-17-11 04:41 AM
    RIM "claims" qnx handsets for late 2012 to finish development, give carriers 6 months to test and you'll have a qnx handset in 2013, sure, assuming RIM survives that long, which they won't. at least, imo, anyone want to lay a new android handset on the table that you NEVER see a qnx handset? i'll make that wager. rim's only phone the rest of the year is delayed, their new os not compatible with old phones, they're at a total stalemate. you'd have to be nearly totally foolish to even want os7 knowing it's only a one generation existence. but lets assume you DO want it. they're laying people off, their only product is delayed, carriers are saying f qnx, and i've personally witnessed store reps advising customers that blackberry is a dead end. you tell me crackberry, what hope is there? i'm not telling you to tear down your Jim Balsillie - Mike Lazaridis posters tonight, just truly asking. what is RIM doing/saying that would lead anyone to believe there's hope other than saying 'we're doing all sorts of behind the scenes stuff, trust us' it isn't a matter of trust, this is all about money, and investors are bailing stock dropped 17 f'n % yesterday, that's nearly a fifth folks, lets face reality here.
    AbuYazeedUK and SevereDeceit like this.
    06-17-11 04:51 AM
    RIM "claims" qnx handsets for late 2012 to finish development, give carriers 6 months to test and you'll have a qnx handset in 2013, sure, assuming RIM survives that long, which they won't. at least, imo, anyone want to lay a new android handset on the table that you NEVER see a qnx handset? i'll make that wager. rim's only phone the rest of the year is delayed, their new os not compatible with old phones, they're at a total stalemate. you'd have to be nearly totally foolish to even want os7 knowing it's only a one generation existence. but lets assume you DO want it. they're laying people off, their only product is delayed, carriers are saying f qnx, and i've personally witnessed store reps advising customers that blackberry is a dead end. you tell me crackberry, what hope is there? i'm not telling you to tear down your Jim Balsillie - Mike Lazaridis posters tonight, just truly asking. what is RIM doing/saying that would lead anyone to believe there's hope other than saying 'we're doing all sorts of behind the scenes stuff, trust us' it isn't a matter of trust, this is all about money, and investors are bailing stock dropped 17 f'n % yesterday, that's nearly a fifth folks, lets face reality here.
    you know, i've seen other posts like this from you, and therefore i came to the only solution which helps you stop crying/bashing rim and repeating yourself over and over again:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/?utm_s..._term=sitename

enjoy your stay over there
    06-17-11 06:01 AM
    you know, i've seen other posts like this from you, and therefore i came to the only solution which helps you stop crying/bashing rim and repeating yourself over and over again:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/?utm_s..._term=sitename

enjoy your stay over there
    Where did I bash rim? I think I have every right to post my thoughts as much as you do, if it isn't true I'll gladly purchase a qnx device

06-17-11 06:07 AM
    They are making a player for Playbook to run Blacckberry apps. This player would be in the qnx handset too, just like the Android player. I'm using a Tour, and a Playbook, so I really need a new phone now. When qnx handsets are available I'll let the first adopters shake out the bugs then look into them. I think that OS7 will be a nice upgrade, but again I'll test them then decide whether to jump in or wait.
    06-17-11 06:36 AM
  11. T
    If RIM stayed exactly the way it is today, it would be okay with me, and I'd never leave BlackBerry. But if RIM DOES release a wonderphone, QNX, or whatever that blows away apple and android I'm gonna laugh. Not at the apple and android fanboys who have never even had BlackBerries to begin with but at the prodigal BlackBerry users who deserted the platform and come crawling back.

Last edited by Tnis; 06-17-11 at 07:44 AM.
    06-17-11 06:45 AM
    I couldn't care less for QNX, OS7 is what I want with faster hardware then what BBOS really needs.

QNX for tablet and laptops maybe, yes, on a mobile phone, no thank you.

I bet once OS7 devices come out, people will forget about QNX.

Putting QNX on a phone is trying to beat Apple at it's own game, and nobody can do that while ruining the experience for the rest of us.

southlander likes this.
    06-17-11 06:50 AM
    they will release QNX devices when they're ready so stop crying OP and get device it's available now, what's wrong with OS6, I'm still on 5 and happy.

just because you're impatient it doesn't mean RIM has to rush themselves...
    06-17-11 07:13 AM
    What's the rush anyway, most people that will buy OS7 phones wiill be in contract for 2 years anyway.

06-17-11 07:25 AM
    and who wants QNX anyway? who said it's better than OS7?

average BB users do not have such a big dilemma about QNX, not sure how many even know what it is
    06-17-11 07:33 AM
    From a developer standpoint, I'm really curious to see how the future plays out. They just put out the BB7 SDK (beta) and the biggest thing I have to take into consideration is the screen resolution. Not a huge change, but still.

What does concern me is the future of development. If BBOS devices are only going to be around for another year or so, that means changing the development mindset. Sure, there will be BBOS players, but that doesn't mean direct compatibility with all devices. Hopefully they get the BBOS Player out to developers soon so they can test compatibility. Even with the player, it is going to be a pretty big change for application development .
    06-17-11 08:37 AM
    and who wants QNX anyway? who said it's better than OS7?

average BB users do not have such a big dilemma about QNX, not sure how many even know what it is
    I agree. It just surprises me that people talk about how the other OS's are nothing special or even suck, but so many BB diehards are chomping at the bit for QNX to be the end all, be all. I can understand some excitement about a new platform, and I am excited to see it as well.

The whole excitement does however lead me to believe the deficiencies are recognized by even people who defend RIM with passion and at times offensively. It supports the view that RIM is behind and has issues with OS and hardware competitiveness, despite what people say. If OS 5/6/7 were so great, why would people be clamoring so hard for a total replacement.

(BTW, I believe OS 6 and 7 are quite competitive in many areas. I think the whole browser argument was wiped away with BB6. I just got tired of battery pulls, truncated emails, etc, etc.)
    06-17-11 08:57 AM
    WE are clamoring for a total replacement because we are geeks.

The majority of users don't care. Your average Joe buys a phone with an OS, probably doesn't even know it's got an OS, and will replace that phone in 2-3 years with the same OS still on it.

Corporations have better things to do than upgrading all their handsets. I upgrade my phone to the latest version, just because. My users can't do it themselves, they don't have DM loaded. Unless they're having an issue that requires reloading, I won't upgrade them. And even then, it will be the to carrier's latest version.

Stop complaining about backwards compatibility. Everybody bitches about how they want better, faster hardware. Well if you give programmers state of the art hardware, they'll write an OS to take advantage of that. That comes at a price of not being able to run on older hardware.
    06-17-11 09:50 AM
    Considering that the first QNX devices will be full touch and most people buy Blackberrys for the keyboard, I doubt it'll have much success on release.
    06-17-11 10:58 AM
    I listened to the call last night, and they said that QNX superphones were still on track for a Q1 2012 release. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    06-17-11 11:02 AM
    The BB OS has been around for almost 10 years and it has been getting upgrades eversince. But it is old, it is functional yes, it works yes, but it will remain relevant no. This is what happend with Nokia's symbian, their os was great in the ealy 2000's it runs well on devces on older processors and less ram. But it became irrelevent and Nokia failed to adapt thier os to new generation hardware. They tried to release a new OS (Meego) but due to them resting thier laurels, they failed.

I know a lot of people here are wants the OS 7 (OS 6.5) and not QNX. But RIM is a techology company and they must be ready for change, technology always moves forward and techology companies must always be ready to innnovate or if not adapt to latest breakthroughs to benefit thier customers. RIM has to do same thing, it could not relay on an OS that is 10+ years old and keep plugging it to new devices. They need to finalized and polish QNX as their platform for their future devices. Even Apple has to change IOS in to something new since they have been doing incremental updates for the last 6 years.

Just look at Google, they are already in the works to merge their OS's (Honeycomb for tablets and Gingerbread for smartphones) in to unified platform even though Google has no pressure to do so.

This message is approved by my transformer
    06-17-11 11:06 AM
    Considering that the first QNX devices will be full touch and most people buy Blackberrys for the keyboard, I doubt it'll have much success on release.
    I disagree. They need to stay competitive and show that they have made it through this transition and are ready to play with the big boys (and win.)

People also buy BBs for the email functionality it offers, bbm etc. These people may want a touch screen along with the other stuff that RIM offers.
    06-17-11 11:13 AM
    I disagree. They need to stay competitive and show that they have made it through this transition and are ready to play with the big boys (and win.)

People also buy BBs for the email functionality it offers, bbm etc. These people may want a touch screen along with the other stuff that RIM offers.
    Completly agree with you. Plus there is nothing stopping RIM for making Bold, Curve, Pearl, Torch and Style BB running QNX.

This message is approved by my transformer
    06-17-11 11:21 AM
    If I don't overthink the thing, I'm pretty happy to have an upgraded OS and an upgraded spec package when the Torch II comes out. But since it is the identical form factor I've been using since the launch of Torch I, I won"t mind switching again in 2012 when the QNX handsets come out. I run a lot of work stuff through my Blackberry. When the phones and the Playbook get better, I get better at what I'm paid to do, so it has always "paid" for me to upgrade asap.

I can see that the transition may present problems or difficult choices for developers. But apps are overrated, at least as far as they are judged by sheer volume of apps available. On another board, a topic was posted calling for the missing indespensible apps on the Playbook. At the end of April, the list would have sprung immediately to mind and would have been long. But even with many of the Playbook apps only partially active right now, there simply aren't that many at all that I "need". And it looks like many of the critical apps already in place will be upgraded to full functionality soon. At some point all of this app-mania and proliferation of redundant apps will plateau.
    06-17-11 01:15 PM
    I don't feel that RIM is in big trouble. Sure analysts can say what they want, and they do.

RIM has recognized, albeit rather late, that the market had changed. As Kevin mentioned in his article, they had to up the hardware specs on their new devices being released with OS7. Yes, it's an interim OS because we all know they are moving their phones over to QNX.

At the same time, they have released QNX on the Playbook. This gives them the opportunity to build an app ecosystem that will allow for easier adoption for developers when QNX phones are released.

Changing an entire OS is an immense task. Coming from the software industry, incremental release upgrades are large enough. A full-blown new OS is a mammoth task. I also think that the shift over to QNX phones is going to be well-timed in their global market. As its needs evolve, it will coincide quite nicely with the new phones.

Let's also be serious - There is still HUGE demand for the new OS7 devices. They look amazing.
    06-17-11 01:42 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD