i currently have 5.0.0.621 on my 9650 and don't notice any bugs on my 9650. what kind of majors improvement woudl i see if i upgrade to os6? i heard the new webkit browser is a hit or miss for some ppl. i currently uses bolt on my bb and like it more than the current bbrowser.

so convince me to upgrade to os6.
    01-26-11 10:19 AM
    Read some of the numerous threads already posted on this topic.
    01-26-11 10:20 AM
    For me (a gadget freak and techie) - no.

I firmly believe it is a good OS on full-screen devices. But on the smaller-screen Bold and Curve, it's too awkward and comes with shortened battery life, browser issues (slower for some?), and general screen real estate oddities.

I'm sticking with .983.
    01-26-11 10:22 AM
    There are two things, which made me stick with OS6:
    1. global search. I use it all the time. it picks up emails, texts, contacts, etc, when I search for a name.
    2. when on call, I can much more easily enable Speakerphone / Headset than in OS5. I use the phone in a cradle on my dash when i drive, and it's a great enhancement.

Everything else I would leave as OS5. Especially the browser.
    01-26-11 10:27 AM
    I'm not so happy with OS 6 and I've been waiting for it a while. No themes for 6 yet and my browser just doesnt work. The memory is down by 50 mb... I'm going back to 1006
    01-26-11 10:31 AM
    I can't decide either. I'm disappointed to hear the browser doesn't have column view, as I don't love Bolt like some do. I prefer native apps for that stuff. I may just upgrade to 5.0.0.1006 and stay there.
    01-26-11 10:38 AM
    I should also say "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

It took me a long time with my Tour 9630 to get used to 5.0. Memory, battery life, and other things really bothered me.

But by the time the Bold 9650 launched, 5.0 was solid. Now I can get nearly two days off of a battery charge (when running wi-fi data and keeping voice calls to a moderate amount).

I just don't see the benefits of 6.0. Universal search? Handy, but not if it comes with the penalty of the things that bother me. I can just as easily hit the "S" key from the home screen in OS5 to do a search. And speakerphone? Dollar sign key.
    01-26-11 10:40 AM
    And speakerphone? Dollar sign key.

man..how in the world did I miss that ???

will it also switch to handset mode if you have an audio cable plugged in?
    01-26-11 10:56 AM
    I just installed it last night and have only had about an hour of use total with it. My first impressions are that its way more complicated to do anything, as well as takes more time to get where you want to go. The browser is noticeably faster as I can watch a youtube video wtihout wifi and it does not have to buffer once. Some of my fav ringtones are gone and choosing ringtones are a PITA because they give you a list where you can roll over each one to hear a quick sample of it, but the list is short and if you expand it you have to listen to each one in the music player one by one! I'm not really digging it too much but I am gonna give it some more time as I dont really dig most things at first.
    01-26-11 10:59 AM
    Oh, the camera app is different than before, you cant hit the spacebar to toggle the flash, but I did notice it seemed to take a better pic with no flash in low light. The different trays at the bottom is a good idea but a PITA because you can move through them (Favs, All, Frequent, Media) by swiping left or right where their descroption is but ALSO if you are down moving around in the apps area if you go too far right or too far left it switches to the next tray. Also if so swipe up too far you will end up way up at the top of teh home screen. So this means no more quickly swiping through apps to get past a bunch to the one I want, I have to go slow and carefully, pain in the ****.
    Last edited by Ruger141; 01-26-11 at 11:09 AM.
    01-26-11 11:02 AM
    For me (a gadget freak and techie) - no.

I firmly believe it is a good OS on full-screen devices. But on the smaller-screen Bold and Curve, it's too awkward and comes with shortened battery life, browser issues (slower for some?), and general screen real estate oddities.

I'm sticking with .983.
    Only thing I agree with this post is the screen real estate, but hey, the Pearl is worse in that department.

As for battery life, .431 has been giving me GREAT battery life so far
    01-26-11 11:15 AM
    For me the upgrade (done late at night) was worth it. It gave me the ability to save Webpage bookmark's on the home screen/favorites, it also brought back the non-password lock function which was absent on the Tour and Bold OS 5's (but for some reason becomes unlocked after taking it out of the holster still). Along with the capability to download the pdf version of the Washington Post Express newspaper (even though it is hard to read on a 2.4 inch screen) through the default browser.

DJ
    01-26-11 11:26 AM
    i currently have 5.0.0.621 on my 9650 and don't notice any bugs on my 9650. what kind of majors improvement woudl i see if i upgrade to os6? i heard the new webkit browser is a hit or miss for some ppl. i currently uses bolt on my bb and like it more than the current bbrowser.

vincent, with all due respect, please don't ask someone to convince you to upgrade. Its a decision you need to make on whether YOUR ready to move on to OS6. From what I understand its different-some love it while others hate it. Keep in mind if you decide to upgrade and don't like it, you can always downgrade. I'm still 'stuck in the middle' as well. Yesterday I upgraded to 1006 which right now is not to much diff than .975 is. I dwld OS6 to my desktop and upgraded DM to 6 as well so I'm prepared. I don't have the time today to worry about loading, this morn I was 2 steps away from pluggin in but things came up. I'm still undecided myself-half of me says yes, while the other says OS5 is running nicely on my Bold.
    Whatever you do, be sure its what YOU want. The OS will be out there, its not something you have to rush into today, tomorrow, next week etc. just my .02 cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 11:44 AM
    Like most new software, give it time to get used to it first. They all have a learning curve, similar to OS 5 when it first came out. I'm waiting for themes for OS 6 though, not a fan of the Verizon one.
    01-26-11 11:57 AM

I'm not going to try to convince you to do anything. I've run all the BB 6 leaks and even the Sprint official. IMO 431 is the best of all the builds so far for the 9650. It's solid. Try it for yourself, you can always downgrade.
    01-26-11 12:00 PM
    I've been running BB6 since it first leaked and I went back to os 5 and BB6 is better. People complain about the browser but it is faster and better then the browser in os 5. U can zoom in to get the column view. I guess in the end u can never please people maybe they should work for RIM and make the OS...... Lmao

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by drinka4yearz; 01-26-11 at 12:16 PM.
    01-26-11 12:13 PM
    i posted this on another thread but i think it got ignored. i also don't want to make a new thread but im jw if there's a way to remove the transition effect?
    01-26-11 12:33 PM
    If you're referring to scrolling thru the different panes, no.
    01-26-11 01:32 PM
    Quick question - I'd like to give 6.0 a shot, but may decide to downgrade later. I have the 5.0.0.975 exe file in case I want to. But the question is this -

You upgrade to 6.0, and your data comes with it. You use the phone for a while on 6.0, so contacts may change, emails added, etc, etc.

Now you want to downgrade, so you backup 6.0 and create the ipd file.

You now load 5.0. You can successfully load the ipd file, created on 6.0, onto an older (downgraded) OS, without losing any data?

Thanks!
    01-26-11 01:34 PM
    Yes, restoring thru DM. I prefer to install the exe file with the app loader and not DM.
    01-26-11 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD