I thought the new browser in OS6 was suppose to have text wrapping when you zoomed in? Did I miss something or was this never a feature or capability at all?

For me personally that's the only capabability missing for this to be a perfect browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 06:26 AM
    It does not wrap text when zoomed. Many people have started using Bolt for the websites that text wrap is needed.
    01-26-11 06:30 AM
    My question is why?
    Didn't it do it before?
    Even OS5 can do it.

Kinda. With column view. Honestly I'd be back at OS6 if you could turn off the freaking rubberbanding and fix our browser.

And minimalistic themes.

01-26-11 06:43 AM
    My question is why?
    Didn't it do it before?
    Even OS5 can do it.

Kinda. With column view. Honestly I'd be back at OS6 if you could turn off the freaking rubberbanding and fix our browser.

And minimalistic themes.

Nope, OS6 has never done text wrapping and column view.
    Not on my device.
    Use Bolt. It works just fine! And is easier to see to boot!
    01-26-11 06:58 AM
    I have been playing with Bolt on my OS5..975 before I give OS6 another chance. I love the Column View.

I just can't find myself liking/getting used to Bolt/OS6 browser to the same comfort level I have now with OS5/Column View.

And on top of that, I have yet to find a way to get my BB Browser Bookmarks imported into Bolt.

I think I will be sitting tight now, at least until 6.1 when I can select which icon banners to have on my homescreen.
    01-26-11 07:22 AM
    I really like OS6's browser, but I'll have to check out Bolt. If it works great, I MIGHT go back to OS5.
    01-26-11 08:07 AM
    The native browser works fine for me on most sites. CB is the worst, That's when I use Bolt.
    01-26-11 08:20 AM
    the OS6 browser does have text wrapping its just spotty at best. There is no column view though. To have text wrapping you just hover your cursor over text until a little magnifying glass appears, and when that does appear you click the trackpad and the text will zoom in and wrap to the screen. But like i said its spotty and you have to play around with it a bit to get the magnifying glass to appear.
    01-26-11 08:23 AM
    I really like OS6's browser, but I'll have to check out Bolt. If it works great, I MIGHT go back to OS5.
    What?
    If you have OS6 and you try Bolt, KEEP OS6
    OS5 browser doesn't NEED Bolt.
    01-26-11 08:48 AM
    the OS6 browser does have text wrapping its just spotty at best. There is no column view though. To have text wrapping you just hover your cursor over text until a little magnifying glass appears, and when that does appear you click the trackpad and the text will zoom in and wrap to the screen. But like i said its spotty and you have to play around with it a bit to get the magnifying glass to appear.
    Guys, the best way to have the text wrap around the text properly is to zoom out as much as you can, hover the cursor over the text until it turns into a magnifying glass and then click....it works fine for reading full-page news articles and other text on a web page.
    01-26-11 09:06 AM
    I thought the whole point was to make it easier. This sounds like jumping through way too many hoops. How do you switch to Bolt when you are following say a Twitter link? Can you make Bolt the default browser?
    01-26-11 10:06 AM
    Text wrap does work as mentioned above, but yes it is hit/miss as also mentioned and is usually a pita most of the time. Why we do not have the one key press for column view toggle like in 5 is a huge faux paux in my opinion. I think the web kit was designed for a larger screen like the torch, not a 2.4".
    To use this browser for the CB forum for instance and not have to zoom/scroll constantly you need to use the text wrap. To even make the magnifying glass appear you need to have the default forum view enabled. This will slow down the loading process for all pages btw. Then if you get lucky and hit text wrap on the first try the font is so frickin' huge it can be unusable in some of the threads where posters use bigger font. It sometimes takes more than one try to get it to even come up and wrap.
    Bolt is an option , but the bolt font is not alot better and is quite small even at the 3x largest setting.
    That said tho the browser is very good for other sites and is quick and easy to use. It depends alot on which sites you frequent.

I thought the whole point was to make it easier. This sounds like jumping through way too many hoops. How do you switch to Bolt when you are following say a Twitter link? Can you make Bolt the default browser?
    Go to the bolt home page for a long FAQ list and there is a way to make it default. Ya gotta sift thru the FAQ. There is alot of great bolt info there.
    Do it on a pc not your bold.LOL
    Last edited by cbreze; 01-26-11 at 10:23 AM.
    01-26-11 10:20 AM
    As cbreze says, at the Bolt site there is a jad file that you can download and install that allows Bolt to be the default browser on your berry.
    Good stuff.
    01-26-11 10:27 AM
    Have a look in this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f217/op...bb-6-a-563399/

Opera Mini 5.2 is the best option I found.

Below is the link to a .zip file, which you can unpack, and install using Blackberry Desktop software.
    None of the OTA links in that thread worked for me.

http://wapreview.com/download/opera-...d-en-fw4.7.zip

Good luck
    01-26-11 10:30 AM
    Have a look in this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f217/op...bb-6-a-563399/

Opera Mini 5.2 is the best option I found.

Below is the link to a .zip file, which you can unpack, and install using Blackberry Desktop software.
    None of the OTA links in that thread worked for me.

http://wapreview.com/download/opera-...d-en-fw4.7.zip

Good luck
    I tried this yesterday using DM and couldn't get DM to see it. Got any tips to get this on? Also is the trackpad still acting funky with om? It seems a yes/no depending on who you ask. I had a direct ota D/L of om on my bold about 6 months ago and it was unusable due to trackpad sensitivity. Whats changed?
    01-26-11 11:58 AM
    You have to install Opera Mini 5.2 Beta version. The new versions cursor is literally on crack and all over the place.

I've been using 5.2 Beta for awhile and love it. I got the download link right from one of the other threads in the forum. I'm sure if you search around you'll find it.

01-26-11 12:19 PM
    Hi,
    I tried Bolt as a replacement for the OS6 browser, and the pages are definitely easier to read on most sites, although Bolt seems slower than the OS6 browser.

One issue I encountered was not being able to get media streams from my usual sites like YourMuze (audio) and CNET (video). I get a box asking if I want to save the file, rather than opening the media player. Used the Bolt option to select a media player, but that didn't work and not selecting either option also did not work.

Anyone else encounter this limitation and a fix? Using BIS not BES, so there should be no server or proxy issue.
    Thanks.
    01-26-11 06:03 PM
    does anyone know if this browser problem will ever be fixed???? I ended up going back to 5.0 because it was just to hard to try and read. And I have never used another browser - is this a problem with RIM or the site developers?

thanks
    01-30-11 04:06 PM
    does anyone know if this browser problem will ever be fixed???? I ended up going back to 5.0 because it was just to hard to try and read. And I have never used another browser - is this a problem with RIM or the site developers?

thanks
    I don't particularly care for the lack of column view, but it's RIM's so they would have to be the ones to fix it. That said tho alot of people like it just fine and think it's way,way better than the os5 browser. If RIM is listening at all they'd maybe figure enough like it, so it's no big rush to worry about fixing or just adding column view which is really all it needs to make it perfect. I went back to 5 more times than I know and always came back to 6 for everything else. I've since gotten accustomed to the web kit's ins and outs. Alot about os-6 comes with a learning curve and people are bailing back to 5 because of it. It's vastly superior to 5 and those not taking the time to give it a good chance are coming out on the short end of the stick.
    You could try a hybrid os like the 450 I'm running is alot smoother in every way including the browser. If you have to have your phone set up a certain way for work then you need to do what's best for that. I'm planning on sticking with BB for the long haul, so I figure I'd better learn the os.
    kam2958 likes this.
    01-30-11 06:00 PM
    Text wrap works, just websites need to support it. I've been on many sites now where it works when I click to zoom in.

01-30-11 09:23 PM
    Nope, OS6 has never done text wrapping and column view.
    Not on my device.
    Use Bolt. It works just fine! And is easier to see to boot!
    haha yes yes. but i was talking about BBOS in general.

Why won't they add it on the new browser..?
    and why is it only crackberries site that makes the text super small? -__-
    01-31-11 08:05 AM
    haha yes yes. but i was talking about BBOS in general.

Why won't they add it on the new browser..?
    and why is it only crackberries site that makes the text super small? -__-
    This, to me, is the biggest travesty!
    It is nearly impossible to read CB or do anything on wap as far as I am concerned, if my text wrap and column view doesn't work!!!
    I really would love to have this fixed!!! As would everyone!!!
    01-31-11 08:07 AM
    I agree crackberry get your $hit togeyther and make the mobile site text version just a tad larger for your target audience.

01-31-11 09:15 AM
    Is there a way to force the browser to pick up the mobile site option? When I click from an RSS feed on my BB to a Yahoo story, it loads the full web version not the mobile article. Some sites like Boy Genius will move to the mobile version, but not Yahoo.

Can you force the OS6 browser to look for mobile versions first? Are there any ways to optimize the browser settings? Many of the full pages load about 3/4 then stall while on 3G.

I will try Opera and Bolt next, but I was just surprised that the browser in OS6 wasn't that good, made me actually miss OS5. I thought the browser was one of the main reasons to upgrade, maybe not?
    01-31-11 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD