I am a city clerk and have a question related to open records requests and blackberry messenger. How difficult is it to access BBM to BBM messages if all city issued BB's are run through the BES? If you can access the messages, what information do you get? Is it a log or the entire message? If you were able to access entire messages, would you be able to do a search for specific words/phrases? Could you just search for words and phrases instead of having to review each message sent through BBM?

One last question - a couple employees have a BB which they purchased on their own. They added their work email address along with a yahoo or similar address for their personal use. I assume if they use BBM those messages are not backed up anywhere; unless it is a message to another employee whose BBM is through the BES?

Hopefully someone out there can help me.

Thanks -
    02-01-09 09:22 PM
    BlackBerry Messenger cannot be audited by BES regardless of
    whether the user is on BES or BIS. Almost everything else is
    fair game.

As a government employee also, I would seriously suggest you
    check the FOIA rules and the records retention guidelines
    promulgated by your state legislature or Secretary of State.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-01-09 at 09:38 PM.
    02-01-09 09:35 PM
    As far as I understand it your IT dept can read all they want. You might get a better answer from others by asking in here http://forums.crackberry.com/f50/. Also do a search in the forums for "big brother" youll get alot of usefull info that way too.
    02-01-09 09:36 PM
    YES you can audit BBM messages. The ONLY thing that cant be audited by the BES is MMS, and those can be blocked.

BlackBerry Messenger policy group For BBM
    02-01-09 09:42 PM
    BlackBerry Messenger cannot be audited by BES regardless of
    whether the user is on BES or BIS. Almost everything else is
    fair game.

As a government employee also, I would seriously suggest you
    check the FOIA rules and the records retention guidelines
    promulgated by your state legislature or Secretary of State.
    This is incorrect, ever since BES 4.0 IT policy allows you to log BBM messages to a certain extent regardless if the person you are talking to is on BIS or BES, but in any event are still loggable.

PIN to PIN are fully loggable and all communcation will be recorded.

Messenger Audit Email Address IT policy rule
    Description
    This rule specifies the address that the BlackBerry device sends BlackBerry Messenger audit reports to.
    Default setting
    The default setting is a null value. BlackBerry Messenger turns off auditing and does not send reports.
    Usage
    Set a value for this rule if you want to audit the use of BlackBerry Messenger in your organization.
    Minimum requirements
    • Java based BlackBerry device
    • BlackBerry Device Software Version 3.6
    • BlackBerry Enterprise Server Version 4.0 SP2
    More information see: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...ence_Guide.pdf
    02-01-09 09:48 PM
    LOL @ me and Sith again, posting the same info.
    02-01-09 09:49 PM
    lol beat ya by a bit
    02-01-09 09:50 PM
    YES you can audit BBM messages. The ONLY thing that cant be audited by the BES is MMS, and those can be blocked.
    This is incorrect, ever since BES 4.0 IT policy allows you to log BBM messages to a certain extent regardless if the person you are talking to is on BIS or BES, but in any event are still loggable.
    Sorry guys, I stand corrected. I was not aware of the change with
    4.0. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 02-01-09 at 10:25 PM.
    02-01-09 10:21 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help. Replies so quickly . . . something I'm not used to working in government! I will check the other areas that were recommended too.

From what I understand anything sent by BBM can be logged through the BES or BIS and in turn I would have to treat it as electronic mail from a records retention standpoint being a public sector employer. I'm thinking I may request that BBM is not activated on the phones! I guess it depends on how the reports are generated and the time involved.

I may have more questions after talking to IT tomorrow . . .
    02-01-09 11:01 PM
    I have talked to our IT department regarding open records and they have told me that they do not have access to BBM information as we don't have a "Messenger Audit Email Address IT policy rule". Could this be possible? They told me they only log and audit the city emails and that call logs are monitored through the statements received by the service provider.

I've received more records requests today - not sure if its related to the new adminstration or what but it's VERY unusual for me to get so many. Nothing related to email yet but I'm sure it's coming.

Thanks -
    02-02-09 10:29 AM
    how would i be able to get the record of my messanger thanks
    06-23-10 07:04 AM
    Holy thread bump. What are you using? BIS or BES?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD