07-04-11 05:16 PM
195 ... 678
tools
    Sosumi, thanks for your reply.
    You bring up some interesting points. I must respectfully disagree though. There's a lot of room for opinion here as nothing is set in stone, and we'll all hopefully get to see this play out over the next few years and then we can decide who was more 'right'...

I believe the next phase of computing, is a post-app era, where contextualized content is the most important part. I think the only reason 'apps' are relevant is they are a delivery mechanism for contextualized content now because the web hasn't evolved enough to be ready without apps. I think the race to relevance in terms of #'s of apps is a short wave, and in a year to two we will be looking at the numbers of apps and laughing that it was ever an important metric. As programs and content move more to a cloud platform, having a view into that content and having it contextualized will be king in my mind.

The whole app metric is superfluous once a device gets 'good' apps at a breadth that will satisfy the user. I don't need 200 VNC apps. I need one good one. It's classic breadth vs depth. There is no way I would have the time to download and try out the other 199 (and multiply that by # of categories, etc)... It becomes irrelevant really quickly when the device has the capabilities to serve content in a way that is important and relevant for the end user. The tech geek in my mind looks to Star Trek and we don't see Kirk or Picard downloading an 'app for that'... We see them wanting to do something, and they do it, and the system abstracts that for them. (Ok, that was really geeky, but I couldn't think of a better example)

I look at Apple as AOL back in the 80s/90s. They are providing a walled-garden system that is doing a great job of bringing people into the post-computing era, but pretty soon people are going to be upset that they're stuck using their content in only the ways that Apple prescribes. This is the same as what happened to AOL when they didn't evolve to let people do things the way they wanted. When I used to buy a physical book at Chapters I didn't expect that I'd have to carry it around with a sleeve around it that made me read it in a particular way... yet, that is what Apple is providing. Full disclosure, I bought an ipad last year when I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I still use it, occassionally, but the only reason it's kicking around is I like the bigger size for some things. I much prefer my PlayBook, and that's not just because my friends made it. When (if) the PlayBook comes out bigger, I'll get that too, and likely sell the ipad. I find that I download apps on it and use them once, never to be used again, except for a small group of apps.

Re: marketing, I didn't say they were needing to spend more... I was saying their messaging is not right now, and they need to work on it - and then the people that want their content contextualized and available in a multitude of ways will realize and start buying PB's... at least that's my hope.

To me, RIM has a rich history in security (important for me), battery-life (they need to work on this with PB, but they're only at version 1 for PB so I'm giving them time to do that), and bandwidth optimization that will help keep them very relevant in the post-pc, post-app world. There's a tonne of room in this market, and I don't expect that there will be a clear winner. I just hope RIM is one of them. I think they will be.
    Amazing post...thank you
    07-02-11 07:34 PM
    If RIM was crumbling, how come BIS is working and my blackberry is fine? Hmm... They're listening since it got leaked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    katiepea likes this.
    07-03-11 02:59 AM
    someone call the investors, this guys phone is still working, downgrade a defcon level, call off the hounds, turn off the sirens
    07-03-11 03:15 AM
    I can tell there's a few trolls.. Oh well. I don't care, mods can kick their butters.

07-03-11 03:18 AM
    nobody is trolling, i thought you were JOKING implying that as long as bis is working on your phone that nothing is wrong, which is pretty absurd.
    07-03-11 03:20 AM
    nobody is trolling, i thought you were JOKING implying that as long as bis is working on your phone that nothing is wrong, which is pretty absurd.
    I was sincere. If BIS gets cut out by all carriers, rim has pulled the plug on NOC. But that hasn't happened and I doubt they'll do that on all of their users regardless of all this negativity.

07-03-11 03:21 AM
    It is AMAZING the level of hatred on this thread.
    Why RIM's troubles could cause such a feeding frenzy from so many sharks I don't know.

Personally I hope they make it. I'd had no doubt until this latest campaign against them. The ugliness of these attacks and the people who are circling like vultures around a dying animal really has me worried that there really is a wish for them to fail.

Which would really be terrible for me because it's the platform I like and it would create a communication/coordination crisis for the agencies and corporations who rely on BES. No, there is nothing out there with the sophisticated monitoring functionalities in BES.

Truly disheartening to read all this hatred.
    07-03-11 06:19 AM
    i would love to, the app store has a policy that you can't purchase items in app from anyone other than apple, kindle is currently breaking the rules, it's up in the air whether apple will remove it or not as far as i know, i'd bet they do.
    There's no question that Apple limits the methods by which you can add content to their devices. But these are limits on acquisition, not usage. The quote from the guy's post specifically mentioned that "people are going to be upset that they're stuck using their content in only the ways that Apple prescribes." The phrase "using their content" suggests to me that his comment wasn't addressing content acquisition, it was addressing usage.
    07-03-11 12:38 PM
    There's no question that Apple limits the methods by which you can add content to their devices. But these are limits on acquisition, not usage. The quote from the guy's post specifically mentioned that "people are going to be upset that they're stuck using their content in only the ways that Apple prescribes." The phrase "using their content" suggests to me that his comment wasn't addressing content acquisition, it was addressing usage.
    Users who have jailbroken iDevices can use Cydia to add content.
    07-03-11 12:48 PM
    You are very welcome

There are tens of thousands of stand-alone apps available for iOS (internet connection not required). Very few people want to be tied to the internet in order to use their tablet (computer). The cloud will be used to store media. Not applications.

This is called "selection". When you go shopping for a product at a retail store, are you satisfied if a store only has one or two products for you to choose from or would you rather have a wall full of choices? This is where the customer reviewers come in. It's all about "choice" and this is why Windows dominated Macs. Sure there might have been ONE good Mac program, but Windows had dozens to choose from. Consumers love choice.

How is Apple controlling the content? Apple is a content deliverer. They don't care where or how you get your content (movies, books, music, etc). They only want you to use their devices. Apple's "walled-garden" is a fire wall. It is safe. If you download an app or media from iTunes, you are ensured that it is NOT infected and it works as advertised. Millions of consumers appreciate this in that they don't have to be geeks. All of the media companies have iOS apps (Time/Warner, HBO, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Showtime, DC/Marvel comics, etc). Explain how this is a BAD thing?

That is you. Are you representative of the entire market? No. iOS apps are impulse buys. The app you downloaded today may be replaced by another app tomorrow. You are missing the point of developer support. The developers are competing for YOUR business on every function (app) you seek. Each app you buy adds more functions to your device. The more choices available, the more powerful your device becomes. There is a developer out there that is saying "I can do that function better." And they will.

And I said, the message isn't important if people aren't interested in your product to begin with. People own iPods, iPhones and Macs. They want an iPad. Why would they even LOOK at a Playbook ad? If they don't have an Apple product, all they have to do is know the app count. Consumers LOVE things to buy after the sale. The product stays fresh and is renewed with every new app they buy/download. And not tom mention third party support of cases, stands and other add-ons.

I have great respect for RIM in what they accomplished, but they are not built for this war. Their devices were transitional devices. They served a purpose when there was a void. That void has not only been filled, but surpassed to the point that the Apple's and Microsoft's will resume.

Microsoft has a HUGE following. Their fans are waiting for the Windows tablet. That's what they do. Microsoft has a history of being late to the party and their customers know this. Security is not Microsoft's strong suit, so why should their customers care now?

In my opinion, By 2013, Apple will dominate with 60% of the market share, Microsoft will capture 35%, and Android will eventually fade away. Android tabloids are not selling and if they continue to not sell, there is no future for the platform. Google is learning that their ROI on Android is not worth it and will drop support. Add to the fact that Larry Page and Sergey Brin are big Steve Jobs admirers and were very upset that Schmidt made Apple their enemy with Android. As a result, Schmidt was demoted from a position of power to a position of figurehead.

Thanks again for your reply.

(By the way, I am a marketing professional for over 30 years, having worked at a couple of the largest ad agencies in the world).

Cheers.
    Thanks Sosumi. I enjoy disagreeing with you on some things since you don't attack, but give thoughtful dialogue

RE: apps, I should have been more clear. Certainly those apps that wouldn't need a connection should be available on any platform. I think it's only a matter of time for that on PB. For the rest it's 'to the clouds'...

Re: Choice - There's an interesting video at TheRSA.org about choice, and when 'too much' choice overwhelms... and basically negates some of the benefits of having that number of options. Here it is if anyone's interested:
    RSA Animate – Choice RSA Comment
    If we look back at the choices we've had for personal computers, it's really been about Mac or Windows (yes, there are other options, but these are the big ones) for OS... and then breaking it down further we had choices for apps on each OS. Looking at Windows word processors, as one example, do we really need x thousand 'MS Word' variants? Or does 1 or 2 word processors suffice for the vast majority? I feel the same way about apps on tablets... I end up trying a bunch to make sure I am not missing any killer feature, then I usually only use one going forward based on a process of selection. Having 50 options means I have to do a whole bunch of searching around to read reviews and figure out which would actually work best for me. Don't get me wrong, choice is not bad, but I'd love to see a better selection methodology that potentially used some social components to make my life easier... This is not an Apple issue, but what it does tell me is that having thousands of variants doesn't make anyones lives easier, and I'd like to see the cream rise to the top so I don't have to sift through and experience choice and information overload for every little thing. Just thinking out loud here, but if there were something akin to 'plugins' for 'superapps' - for example a 'special font' plugin for a word processor, maybe that's a better way to provide options. Then instead of having 10 or 15 word processors, I have one with basic functionality, with 10 or 15 plugins that improve it... and I can grab plugins for specific things as and when I need them. Then I'd have a consistent user experience within the app, with extensability. To me, that would be ideal.

When I mentioned controlling content, I was speaking about getting content on to and off of the ipad. I bought a movie on itunes. If I want to watch this on my PB now, I'm pooched. I realize this is DRM at it's finest, but in the past when I bought a movie at a store, I could play it on ANY dvd player... why should the software version which is way more portable restrict me? There isn't a movie download app for PB yet (that I've heard about) but I downloaded an album off the 7digital music store on my PB, and went to my computer, and wirelessly copied it to a CD (from my PB in another room) that I was then able to pop in my car and burn to my car system. That's what it should be like for all content. (Ok ideally I'd love it to be available on my car automatically, but I'm ok with baby steps for now) Easy, and portable. Apple doesn't make getting content on or off their devices easy. And we'll have to see how easy it is and what restrictions they'll pop in on ios5. But for me, the PB is way easier than the ipad right now. I also use my PB as a flash drive and use allway sync (a $20 pc app) that keeps my files on my PB always updated. I haven't seen anything close to this on ipad (but note, I became overwhelmed with too many apps so stopped looking after a short search ...)

I don't know if I'm 'representative of the market'... frankly I don't care because I like being an individual and I think things should allow more individualization, but I'm sure I'm not in the minority here... I would wager large $$ that 90% of apps are used a couple times, then forgotten... anyone else out there feel that way?

I'll continue to respectfully disagree that RIM should be counted out. This is a huge huge huge market, and having 3 or 4 major players is not at all out of the question. I could see RIM leveraging QNX even further out to PC's as a main OS option... since there are a lot of disillusioned MS users that use Windows only because they feel there's not an alternative (other than MAC) ... and Google will likely do the same. RIM is just coming at the PC market from a different direction than Apple. This is just my opinion (I hope they do)

EK
    BigBadWulf and sosumi11 like this.
    07-03-11 02:26 PM
    It is AMAZING the level of hatred on this thread.
    Why RIM's troubles could cause such a feeding frenzy from so many sharks I don't know.

Personally I hope they make it. I'd had no doubt until this latest campaign against them. The ugliness of these attacks and the people who are circling like vultures around a dying animal really has me worried that there really is a wish for them to fail.

Which would really be terrible for me because it's the platform I like and it would create a communication/coordination crisis for the agencies and corporations who rely on BES. No, there is nothing out there with the sophisticated monitoring functionalities in BES.

Truly disheartening to read all this hatred.
    It is a shame Qbn. Most at least on this thread is laced with constructive criticism, as opposed to what we modfia have been dealing with a lot lately. My take....

One would think if a member feels their platform superior, that they would feel confident enough in their choice, not be compelled to bastardize the competition. All of the platforms out there have their strengths, and for me deciding which to use should be based on the user's needs, not what someone thinks is "best". Sadly, quite the opposite is occurring. Some from long time members, plus people who are joining purely for the pleasure of expressing their vitriol. I can't read their minds, so who knows if it's based on them not being as satisfied with their choice, a monetary compensation for driving folks to another mark, a deep seeded need to prosthelytize, or utter contempt for a brand loyalty they gave to RIM till it hurt (see StormTroopers ). Whatever the case, I wish they'd let go their anger and start behaving in a proper manner.

Ya'll are not going to make iphone/droid users out of BlackBerry owners beating down their phone. Accept that, and understand, if the thread has nothing to do with comparing/contrasting products, try to help, or find a thRead that suits your interest to post on. Members don't need to hear how your phone is better, when they're trying to fix theirs.

We've been having this discussion in one of my groups. I'm totally with you on my decision to use a BlackBerry. I have this phone principle for communication. I've looked at other phones, and it always comes down to the same few things. The keypad is priority #1. Motorola tried with a few, but there's nothing that compares to a RIM keypad, to my touch. Messaging is #2, and whether push email, or IM's including BBM, the way ours integrates stands out. #3 is data compression. May not mean that much to a lot of users now who are on unlimited plans, I myself am on one, but as the carriers one by one move customers to tiered data, the wisdom of compression will become unmistakable.

Why did I list these things? Because all this talk of RIM fading to extinction needs balanced with reality. RIM still needs some major changes to make strong moves forward, but even at present course they are putting forth discernible effort. The PlayBook for all it's misgivings is an outstanding tablet. Sure, for those without BlackBerries it's not going to sell well, but the integration concept, when fully completed makes it stand alone. The next gen of phones, while not leading edge technology, from all I've seen will easily compare in real function (not on paper) to anything available in the marketplace.

Let them say what they will, you needn't fear it. I feel good about what I have in my hands typing this, and am with excitement awaiting the day soon, when it's a 9930 instead. I see no reason, based on what I've used before, that it won't carry me for at least 2 years.

Some of you are having a fantastic discussion here. I thank you for that. I love debate, and the open nature we want to preserve here on CrackBerry.
    07-03-11 03:14 PM
    Thanks for your input, Wulf. I'd been interested in hearing your perspective.
    07-03-11 03:40 PM
    [color=#000066]The next gen of phones, while not leading edge technology, from all I've seen will easily compare in real function (not on paper) to anything available in the marketplace.
    This is the single most difficult concept to try to articulate to the users and fans of other platforms. While I find the latest rash of bad news and negativity from within very disheartening, the bottom line is the BB platform is still what works best for millions of users. Yes, some are leaving the brand, and yes the other platforms are gaining new users many times faster than BB, and the bad news seems to be coming at an accelerated pace lately, and it's very easy to get caught up in the anti-RIM doom-and-gloom whirlwind. I'm not sure what drives it, but I'm sure the relative anonymity of the internet is a big contributor.

Anyway, thanks for the much-needed reality-based perspective.
    07-03-11 03:56 PM
    Thanks Sosumi. I enjoy disagreeing with you on some things since you don't attack, but give thoughtful dialogue
    Ditto!

I think it's only a matter of time for that on PB.
    It's a Catch-22. Developers only write for platforms that are popular. Consumers go to where the developers are (apps). Apple did it right by having 500 apps on Day One for the iPhone and 100,000+ for the iPad.

Re: Choice - There's an interesting video at TheRSA.org about choice, and when 'too much' choice overwhelms
    Yes, but not enough choice is worst. Like they say, it is better to leave a restaurant full, than to still be hungry.

Looking at Windows word processors, as one example, do we really need x thousand 'MS Word' variants? Or does 1 or 2 word processors suffice for the vast majority?
    Microsoft Word and Excel are "industry standard" apps. There are several word processor apps on every platform, but unless it is compatible to Word, why do you need anything else outside of a simple text editor that outputs to .doc?

I feel the same way about apps on tablets... I end up trying a bunch to make sure I am not missing any killer feature, then I usually only use one going forward based on a process of selection. Having 50 options means I have to do a whole bunch of searching around to read reviews and figure out which would actually work best for me. Don't get me wrong, choice is not bad, but I'd love to see a better selection methodology that potentially used some social components to make my life easier...
    Apple's "One-Stop-Shop" App Store makes this task easier than you think. Say, for example you are going on a long road trip and you want to keep track of your gas mileage. Search "Gas Mileage" and you will get about 50 apps. You can then list them in order of User Ratings. Read a few reviews, and almost immediately see the "Gold Standard" of Gas Mileage apps.

This is not an Apple issue, but what it does tell me is that having thousands of variants doesn't make anyones lives easier, and I'd like to see the cream rise to the top so I don't have to sift through and experience choice and information overload for every little thing.
    In other words, you would rather use a less popular platform to make the selection process for YOU easier. Unfortunately that is not how businesses run. As Yogi Berra said, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's always too crowded."

Just thinking out loud here, but if there were something akin to 'plugins' for 'superapps' - for example a 'special font' plugin for a word processor, maybe that's a better way to provide options. Then instead of having 10 or 15 word processors, I have one with basic functionality, with 10 or 15 plugins that improve it... and I can grab plugins for specific things as and when I need them. Then I'd have a consistent user experience within the app, with extensability. To me, that would be ideal.
    This is where the word "ecosystem" comes into play. Microsoft has Office which will no doubt be embedded in their tablets, while Apple has their iWorks Suite (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) which have been rewritten for the tablet form. Using "plug-ins" is like duct-tape.

When I mentioned controlling content, I was speaking about getting content on to and off of the ipad. I bought a movie on itunes. If I want to watch this on my PB now, I'm pooched. I realize this is DRM at it's finest, but in the past when I bought a movie at a store, I could play it on ANY dvd player... why should the software version which is way more portable restrict me?
    Complain to the studios. This is their way of making sure that you will not make a copy and give it to your cousin in Baltimore. Even with iTunes, you cannot play the movie unless YOU authorize the device to play it on.

There isn't a movie download app for PB yet (that I've heard about) but I downloaded an album off the 7digital music store on my PB, and went to my computer, and wirelessly copied it to a CD (from my PB in another room) that I was then able to pop in my car and burn to my car system.
    You have to remember that in the days prior to digital media, it was EXTREMELY expensive and difficult to distribute bootleg copies of tape and vinyl. With digital, it's a click here and you can post it on the internet which gazillions can access it. How can the studios prevent that from happening?

However, Apple has just introduced iTunes Match. It lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve ripped from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year.

I don't know if I'm 'representative of the market'... frankly I don't care because I like being an individual and I think things should allow more individualization, but I'm sure I'm not in the minority here... I would wager large $$ that 90% of apps are used a couple times, then forgotten... anyone else out there feel that way?
    Unfortunately that's the price of success. Buying an app for 99 is an impulse buy. Most people won't care less that the 99 app they bought today was replaced by a FREE app tomorrow, or a $5.99 app next week. As long as it does what the user wants it to do. Besides, with iOS, you KNOW that all apps will work on your next iOS device.

I'll continue to respectfully disagree that RIM should be counted out. This is a huge huge huge market, and having 3 or 4 major players is not at all out of the question. I could see RIM leveraging QNX even further out to PC's as a main OS option... since there are a lot of disillusioned MS users that use Windows only because they feel there's not an alternative (other than MAC) ... and Google will likely do the same. RIM is just coming at the PC market from a different direction than Apple. This is just my opinion (I hope they do)
    Apple BARELY survived despite the computer industry being so huge and they were the second largest at under 5%. Apple had to enter new markets in order to survive. How many operating systems do you really think consumers will support? Based on the PC experience, the answer is not more than two. Again, it all comes down to ecosystem and third-party hardware and developer support.

Anyway, I appreciate discussing this with you. Good luck.
    Last edited by sosumi11; 07-03-11 at 04:54 PM.
    07-03-11 04:39 PM
    Hi Sosumi
    So re: catch-22... I think with improvements in dev tools, write-once, publish everywhere capabilities will help, especially where they can monetize the ravenous fans on certain platforms very cheaply... the first good example of this should be the android player for PB.

I agree that choice is important, but I think it's a balancing act and there is a point of diminishing returns that happens REALLY quickly.

Granted, Word and Excel weren't the best examples, but if you take Nero or another app like that, and insert that in, I think you'll see my point. I don't agree that plugins are duct-tape. I think it could be an elegant way to do things and minimize redundancy on the device. Just because we have a 64gig device doesn't mean we should be happy with redundancy without benefit.

Re: Apple's one-stop-shop, I can see that could help narrow things down, but at what point does the relevance of a thousand widgets stop being important? This is my issue with the arbitrary 'requirement' that there be a 100,000 apps for a platform to be able to survive.

I choose PlayBook because it is easy to use, I love the UI, I love the gestures, I love the fact that I don't feel I'm locked in a walled-garden, and it, in my opinion, feels like a much sexier tablet than anything else I've tried.

Re: DRM, I think this too shall pass. I think there will be better, more user-friendly ways in the short-to-mid term - there need to be to make this more mainstream. This is an industry issue... but I guess my hope was on my PB once they get movies going, I would be able to transfer easily... but maybe that's a pipe dream.

Re: 0.99 cent apps and being replaced by other apps, I think this is an inefficient use of money... not that I'm begrudging the developers, but what if it was $50 each time... would you think it is fair that we'd have to do this so often?

I think going forward QNX/Tablet OS will have the same interoperability as Apple's IOS... It's a shame we can't get to one OS sooner, but that's not for me to decide : )

Out of curiousity, are you a BlackBerry user? You seem very slanted towards Apple, so I'm wondering if you use a BlackBerry or are just here to keep an eye on the competition ; ) Personally I'm hoping the latter, since you'd only be here then if you felt RIM stood a chance and were concerned about that for some reason ; )

PS - sorry I can't seem to get multi-quote to work and this is already seeming too much like 'work' ; )
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-03-11 06:08 PM
    Hi SosumiOut of curiousity, are you a BlackBerry user? You seem very slanted towards Apple, so I'm wondering if you use a BlackBerry or are just here to keep an eye on the competition ; ) Personally I'm hoping the latter, since you'd only be here then if you felt RIM stood a chance and were concerned about that for some reason ; )
    Interesting logic. I am either a Blackberry fan, or an Apple fan that is afraid of RIM.

Let's just say that I am a marketing professional that is interested in learning about people's buying decisions patterns.

For the record, I own a Blackberry Storm2 9520 (I despise chiclet keys), iPhone 3GS (for iTunes and apps), and two Macs.
    07-03-11 09:56 PM
    Interesting logic. I am either a Blackberry fan, or an Apple fan that is afraid of RIM.

Let's just say that I am a marketing professional that is interested in learning about people's buying decisions patterns.

For the record, I own a Blackberry Storm2 9520 (I despise chiclet keys), iPhone 3GS (for iTunes and apps), and two Macs.
    Sorry - you're right I guess it isn't really a binary thing. Didn't mean to offend. I guess my curiosity was piqued since there was no info on your device in the profile and the slant was definitely there towards Apple : )

That's funny re: chiclet keys. I have tried the iPhone and other devices without a keyboard and think I would lose my mind if I had to lose my keyboard for a touch screen of that size. I find the Torch the perfect compromise, but may go for the new Bold when it hits and give my wife the Torch.
    For the record I also own an 1st gen Apple TV (which I hope gets replaced by some BlackBerry media device soon!) : )
    07-04-11 11:58 AM
    Sorry - you're right I guess it isn't really a binary thing. Didn't mean to offend.
    Not to worry. We are just discussing opinions.

That's funny re: chiclet keys. I have tried the iPhone and other devices without a keyboard and think I would lose my mind if I had to lose my keyboard for a touch screen of that size.
    My first computer was back in 1977 when I had an Commodore PET with the famous "chiclet keypad". The PET had multiple functions on each key (including graphics) and it drove me nuts remembering the codes. The original Blackberry and Treos reminded of those days and always hoped for someone to figure out a way to make this easier on a portable device. I felt like I was back in 1980!

Anyway, I am happy with the touch screen devices. I could never picture myself going to a mechanical non-full size keyboard.

Cheers!
    Last edited by sosumi11; 07-04-11 at 02:59 PM.
    07-04-11 02:54 PM
    well i think the same point applies, on iphones you can't install different keyboards, different contact apps, different sms apps, other os's allow you to access your content any way you see fit. on android if you don't like how google's os delivers your sms's you can replace the stock app. this goes for every single aspect of the os.

apple will not allow you to replace any stock functionality with a new one.
    07-04-11 03:38 PM
    well i think the same point applies, on iphones you can't install different keyboards, different contact apps, different sms apps, other os's allow you to access your content any way you see fit. on android if you don't like how google's os delivers your sms's you can replace the stock app. this goes for every single aspect of the os.

apple will not allow you to replace any stock functionality with a new one.
    I never claimed it wasn't applicable; it just wasn't the question. Yes, Apple is absolutely restrictive in the ways you listed. But his quote specifically addressed "content" and its "usage," not keyboards or SMS apps.
    07-04-11 05:16 PM
195 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD