07-04-11 06:16 PM
195 ... 45678
tools
    I had extra batteries for every cell I owned, for what it's worth, and that includes all 4 BB's. I can count on one hand the number of times I needed the spare battery for my SGS in the year I had it. But enough derail, this isn't about batteries. This is about the **** poor job the co-CEO's of RIM are doing and how their gigantic egos are killing a company no one wants to see fail.
    07-01-11 12:09 AM
    The ignorance some people show about other phones and battery life is hilarious. The iphone 4 is amazing with what it can do and its battery life. I have gotten 50 hours of use on my incredible before.

Prepares to see the "OMG you lie! Only a BB can last more than a day." posts now
    phones are getting better with each new version on battery life, wouldnt ever deny that, but if i tried to tell ANY of my friends that use iphones that they should be getting 4 days (96 hours) of battery life with reasonable use, they would laugh me outta the room.
    07-01-11 12:11 AM
    Thanks reeneebob I didn't know that they have improved so much. I still like bb and do not like apple at all, I'm still on the fence on android.
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-01-11 12:17 AM
    No problem. :-)

I admit I thought I would be constantly charging my iPhone. Imagine my surprise when I didn't need to throw it on a charger for 2 days after I got it, and ever two days every since. I bought into the iPhone has bad battery life fallacy.

My husbands iPhone is the same as well, and where he works he finds all of his phones are constantly looking for signal (he couldn't use his Berry at all unless it was on top of a locker on a 45 degree angle facing a wall, which is why he no longer has a BB). He gets 36 - 48 hours on his iPhone, and his quote was that after his last phone (Android OS HTC Desire Z) "It's nice to have a phone that just works." He said last night he doesn't think the iPhone is the end all be all of cell phones, but it just works and that's what he wants right now, and it's not something he found with BB or Android.

I just didn't want to be constantly tweaking my phone all the time. I do miss a lot about my SGS, but the iPhone is a joy in its simplicity right now.
    07-01-11 12:29 AM
    My tour is my first and only smart phone, the only reason I got it was cause I was looking for a new phone with bluetooth as my dumb phone didn't even have that. Well I also had a usb modem I was using for my laptop. He told me I could tether the bb and it turned out to be cheaper than having a dumb phone and a usb modem.

I'm going to give the new bold a try and I'm really interested in the playbook mainly because of size and the QNX OS. If the bold doesn't satisfy me then I'll probably look harder at android.

If RIM can get QNX right on the playbook and phones I'll probably stick with them if they are still around. QNX sounds like it can be quite the beast if again RIM can get it right.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-01-11 at 12:42 AM. Reason: man it's bed time typos all over
    reeneebob and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-01-11 12:38 AM
    I agree.

I just hope that Jim and Mike can suck up their huge egos enough to fix things.

Sadly, what I have seen of them in the media (particularly Jim Balsillie and his quest to buy an NHL team) doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-01-11 12:40 AM
    I found this article and thought it was interesting.

One could replace "Microsoft" with "RIM" and "Danger" with "QNX/TAT".

The points that seem to be parallels that struck me are these.

When Microsoft bought Danger for $500million in 2008, many hoped the merger would put rocket boosters on the Sidekick. Instead, joining Microsoft turned out to be a pin ***** that sent Danger whizzing around the room like a balloon losing air.

For at least some former Danger employees, the acquisition was exciting news. The company kept its office in Palo Alto, and the hope among the Danger ranks was that Microsoft would use its vast resources to help the device expand into the mass market.

But they said they quickly realized that Microsoft bought the Sidekick team to put to work on its smartphone project, the Kin, and that the work cultures and environment were different.

Microsoft executives repeatedly told members of the Danger team that they would have access to a "pantry of Microsoft software," some former employees said. But it took five hours to build experimental features instead of the five minutes it used to, slowing innovation to a crawl, Zimmerman said.

The renegade culture of a startup clashed with the corporate culture of Microsoft. In one example, a Microsoft manager sent emails that ended with "BOOYAH" in giant type, Zimmerman and another former Danger employee said.

Microsoft managers set up an underground Twitter hashtag #TMDP, which stood for "truly, madly, deeply," a former Danger employee said. To some Danger employees, Microsoft seemed like Phil, the dad on "Modern Family" always trying a little too hard to be cool around his kids.

Some former Danger employees remember rampant mocking of Microsoft corporate-speak during meetings - via instant messaging on their Sidekicks, of course.
    I wonder if this is one of the issues with QNX/TAT. It sure sounds like the corporate culture of RIM is stifling the creativity of the QNX/TAT folks.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-01-11 12:43 AM
    My tour is my first and only smart phone, the only reason I got it was cause I was looking for a new phone with bluetooth as my dumb phone didn't even have that. Well I also had a usb modem I using for my laptop. He told me I could tether the bb and it turned out to be cheaper than having a dumb phone and a usb modem.

I'm going to give the new bold a try and I'm really interested in the playbook mainly because of size and the QNX OS. If the bold doesn't satisfy me then I'll probably look harder at android.

If RIM can get QNX right on the playbook and phones I'll probably stick with them if they are still around. QNX sounds like it can be quite the beast if again RIM can get it right.
    I would of taken that route as well, but I was so frustrated with the 10 min reboot cycles and app errors and resets that i took advantage of the beautiful incredible 2 when it came out. Its a world phone with amazing battery life for a Droid and its not a bahimeth like the TB and the other droids out there. So i took a chance, switched, and now about 2 months into it, i love it more than ever.

Sent from my DINC2 using tapatalk
    07-01-11 12:45 AM
    What's so sad about this whole thing is that it shouldn't take an employee's letter to motivate the higher hierarchy. If that's the case, then something is seriously wrong with the company. It should work the other way around.

Also, what kind of company in which the upper management/CEO doesn't interact and received feed back from their employees? Don't they have internal meeting to discussed stratagies to innovate? My company which only served 300 workers total have weekly meetings with management to discuss business decision to be sure we're up to date with current trends and not fall behind. I thought all companies were like that.

That letter made it sound like RIM is one big dysfunctional family...if in fact the letter is true. But really, it shouldn't have to come to it, and I truly hope thing will get resolved quickly which I doubt since their are too many areas lacking to began with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 01:17 AM
    Its amazing but I have never seen a company go thru something like this so publicly before. I have seen brands drop off the map, but i never seen this! In a way, i think there's more outcry because of the potential that blackberry has and was. Which actually says more about the brand than even what happened to Motorola, palm, or even Nokia for that matter.

I also get the impression that people are also angry about this downturn because of how much ground was lost in such a short period of time. Its too fast and the makings of a company riding itself into a street pole was so clear for the past 2 years with non sense refresh after refresh. We all said it! But somehow, we thought that a company like rim must be smarter than us layman people. Guess it turned out that we were the smart ones and rims organizational structure was collapsing with all the bad choices that were made.

I'm not one to believe that any one company has bad engineers, programmers, etc. I just think these sciences require a management team and think tanks that can help nurture those sciences and exgineering principals in a way that produces results the customer can clearly see off the bat!

But the way i see it now, people are mad, and rim has lost respect from everyone, especially bloggers, analyse, and enthusiest alike.

07-01-11 01:48 AM
    Its amazing but I have never seen a company go thru something like this so publicly before. I have seen brands drop off the map, but i never seen this! In a way, i think there's more outcry because of the potential that blackberry has and was. Which actually says more about the brand than even what happened to Motorola, palm, or even Nokia for that matter.

I also get the impression that people are also angry about this downturn because of how much ground was lost in such a short period of time. Its too fast and the makings of a company riding itself into a street pole was so clear for the past 2 years with non sense refresh after refresh. We all said it! But somehow, we thought that a company like rim must be smarter than us layman people. Guess it turned out that we were the smart ones and rims organizational structure was collapsing with all the bad choices that were made.

I'm not one to believe that any one company has bad engineers, programmers, etc. I just think these sciences require a management team and think tanks that can help nurture those sciences and exgineering principals in a way that produces results the customer can clearly see off the bat!

But the way i see it now, people are mad, and rim has lost respect from everyone, especially bloggers, analyse, and enthusiest alike.

I think the reason so many people have posted angry comments is because they do care.

It reminds me of the drill instructors in boot camp (I'm not a veteran, but I have family members and friends who are veterans). The DIs do not yell at recruits because they want the recruits to fail. Rather, they want the recruits to successfully learn what is necessary to be the best soldiers, sailors, and marines.

Hopefully, the management at RIM will understand that customers do care, and do want the company to succeed. If the criticism works, everyone will be better off by improvements. Shareholders will be happy if new products work well and sell. Customers will be happy to have the devices/features they want. Even people who do not ever plan to purchase a BlackBerry will be better off if RIM is successful, since more competition will drive other platforms to also innovate, and more competition will keep prices of devices competitive.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-01-11 02:22 AM
    I notice that the NEI resolution was withdrawn, with RIM committing to form a "committee" of independent Directors (are there such an animal?) to report back to the Board on the best use of the CEO and Chairmans roles. They are going to take 6 months to do this, amazingly.

Seems nothing gets done fast at RIM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-01-11 02:35 AM
    I notice that the NEI resolution was withdrawn, with RIM committing to form a "committee" of independent Directors (are there such an animal?) to report back to the Board on the best use of the CEO and Chairmans roles. They are going to take 6 months to do this, amazingly.

Seems nothing gets done fast at RIM.
    6 months is far too long. This should have been done yesterday, not tomorrow or 6 months from now.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-01-11 02:36 AM
    I think the reason so many people have posted angry comments is because they do care.

It reminds me of the drill instructors in boot camp (I'm not a veteran, but I have family members and friends who are veterans). The DIs do not yell at recruits because they want the recruits to fail. Rather, they want the recruits to successfully learn what is necessary to be the best soldiers, sailors, and marines.

Hopefully, the management at RIM will understand that customers do care, and do want the company to succeed. If the criticism works, everyone will be better off by improvements. Shareholders will be happy if new products work well and sell. Customers will be happy to have the devices/features they want. Even people who do not ever plan to purchase a BlackBerry will be better off if RIM is successful, since more competition will drive other platforms to also innovate, and more competition will keep prices of devices competitive.
    I totally agree... the critizism too shows me that ex fans are still fans (like me) who know deep down that the BB platform concept actually fills our desires when we try to imagine the perfect mobile device. Its just that every year when we cross our fingers, we end up getting nothing and sometimes less. So the dream ends up living on as simply a dream and the cries get louder in the hopes of a day when RIM, Apple, and Google are all on the same playing field. When that day comes, I may go back to blackberry. Until then, I sure do enjoy my Droid...
    07-01-11 02:55 AM
    I totally agree... the critizism too shows me that ex fans are still fans (like me) who know deep down that the BB platform concept actually fills our desires when we try to imagine the perfect mobile device. Its just that every year when we cross our fingers, we end up getting nothing and sometimes less. So the dream ends up living on as simply a dream and the cries get louder in the hopes of a day when RIM, Apple, and Google are all on the same playing field. When that day comes, I may go back to blackberry. Until then, I sure do enjoy my Droid...
    that's rather spot on now right?

i'm pretty sick of seeing 'quit hatin on RIM', ..., i've invested money and heart in the company just like anyone else has, if i hated RIM i certainly wouldn't care to look back at them. but right now, loyalty doesn't mean much becuase i don't think they've displayed it, i'm always trying new things, i'm pretty far into android right now, but i want qnx to awe, i'm not delusional though, the road to RIM's success is a much longer one than the road to their failure.
    07-01-11 03:30 AM
    I have owned the G2, Galaxy S Vibrant, Mytouch 4G and the HD7. I get that sometimes folks are unfair about battery life. But there is no way in **** a Galaxy S pushed 2 days and I call BS on the iphone 4 with heavy use only using a quarter of the battery after a full day. Good for you if you are getting those numbers but please realize you are not the norm.
    ... android battery life issues are exaggerated, and you're awfully quick to dismiss EVERYTHING negative said about RIM, i'm quite certain back in the days of RIMapolooza when bgr was on RIM's side consistently you would have considered them a credible source, because the fact is they've long been a credible source of inside information from RIM. if the headline from BGR was positive about RIM i have serious reservations that you'd be so critical. i'm around android phones all day, i have 4 and most of my friends have android or ios, ios is better for battery, but android users know the sacrifice and that's precisely why they have android's, i don't know anyone who can't get through the day, and what else matters, everyone charges their phone every night anyway. scream away about battery, android has almost a 40% marketshare, and if they're doing it on crap batteries, then obviously it isn't even a focal point of purchase. you gonna tell me 40% of the market hates their phones? i don't think so. and honestly i think the people leaving bb for android or iOS are so sick of what's happened with RIM they're more than willing to charge the phone more to get the experience they've been craving from their smartphone. beat a dead horse some more tho, let me know if it talks.
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-01-11 at 03:43 AM.
    kevinnugent and HD123 like this.
    07-01-11 03:38 AM
    I think the thing about this letter that's most frustrating is it took up an entire days worth of discussion on crackberry.. and probably wasted everyone's time at RIM I'd imagine.. I mean if their work is anything like mine, I'm assuming something like this would have at least derailed each person for 5 minutes at a minimum..

And all the while I just want my damn 9900!!!!

Sigh.
    07-01-11 03:59 AM
    Read the letter, skipped all the comments, and I only have one question....

since/if the letter is from a RIM insider why aren't there more specific insider details of missed opportunities and when/how they happened, bad management practices, faulty decision making and specifics as to what they were and how they happened, etc. that are not readily available in the blogosphere? Everything in that letter has been written before. On this very forum.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-01-11 04:41 AM

since/if the letter is from a RIM insider why aren't there more specific insider details of missed opportunities and when/how they happened, bad management practices, faulty decision making and specifics as to what they were and how they happened, etc. that are not readily available in the blogosphere? Everything in that letter has been written before. On this very forum.
    valid point, there are 2 more letters being released tomorrow, maybe they will offer more insight.
    07-01-11 04:43 AM

Not so sure about that. I never heard before that the engineer who worked on the 9530 is still at RIM working on other high profile projects. Also I have never read or heard about the working conditions there and the general culture of fear of stepping out of line. The person behind this letter has pointed out some things that appear at least to come from an internal view. Others have commented that they know RIM employees who echo the points about the culture inside Waterloo.
    07-01-11 06:04 AM
    The writing was on the wall years ago. My family moved from BB to Android and never regretted it. BB has been dying for years and living behind an entrenched customer base. Its Palm all over again. It just takes many years for all the diehards to finally give up. The lay-offs already indicate that BB cannot sustain its profits my selling its products (as its market share has dropped from 50% to 10%).

Eventually nature will take its course and someone like HP will buy what remains of RIM and fold it into their product line.
    07-01-11 06:07 AM
    I would of taken that route as well, but I was so frustrated with the 10 min reboot cycles and app errors and resets that i took advantage of the beautiful incredible 2 when it came out. Its a world phone with amazing battery life for a Droid and its not a bahimeth like the TB and the other droids out there. So i took a chance, switched, and now about 2 months into it, i love it more than ever.

I guess I haven't had those frustrations with my phone but I'm no power user and I barley do anything on it other than make a call and a little texting. I mainly use it to tether while away from home. The only apps I put on mine is quicklaunch. I do use the calendar to keep my appointment and reminders about things.

I might do more surfing on the phone if the screen were larger as I have a hard time reading the small text and when I zoom I don't like to scroll right, scroll left, repeat and rinse.
    07-01-11 07:13 AM
    all you do is discredit everyone, every comment i've seen from you amounts to "nuh uh" you're boring and annoying quite frankly, i don't think you're living on earth, you're off in some dream world where you're the white knight of the internet defender of all things you love. grow up would you, android battery life issues are exaggerated, and you're awfully quick to dismiss EVERYTHING negative said about RIM, i'm quite certain back in the days of RIMapolooza when bgr was on RIM's side consistently you would have considered them a credible source, because the fact is they've long been a credible source of inside information from RIM. if the headline from BGR was positive about RIM i have serious reservations that you'd be so critical. i'm around android phones all day, i have 4 and most of my friends have android or ios, ios is better for battery, but android users know the sacrifice and that's precisely why they have android's, i don't know anyone who can't get through the day, and what else matters, everyone charges their phone every night anyway. scream away about battery, android has almost a 40% marketshare, and if they're doing it on crap batteries, then obviously it isn't even a focal point of purchase. you gonna tell me 40% of the market hates their phones? i don't think so. and honestly i think the people leaving bb for android or iOS are so sick of what's happened with RIM they're more than willing to charge the phone more to get the experience they've been craving from their smartphone. beat a dead horse some more tho, let me know if it talks.
    I questioned 2 days on a Galaxy S and 4 days on an iphone. I have no issues with the battery life for more gadgetry swap if that is what you want to do. I do think those numbers are greatly exaggerated though. For the record you have now called me lazy, uneducated, boring, annoying, a troll and claimed my arguments were ********. This all occurred because you touted an inside source and when I honestly requested what source you started attacking. I need to grow up?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by D_March; 07-01-11 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    07-01-11 09:33 AM
    BTW - I think Jobs is writing to BGR tomorrow----a check! lol
    I figure Steve Jobs actually wrote the letter . . .

07-01-11 10:11 AM
    Being a whistle-blower often has resulted in termination.
    I don't think this would be considered whistle blowing since he's not calling attention to anything illegal or morally corrupt. He's just publicly griping about all the things he thinks are wrong with the company and why it's headed downhill fast.

However, I totally agree that the letter writer could rightfully and legally be fired if he/she actually is a RIM employee. In the US (not sure about Canada) most employment is termed "at will", meaning basically that a company can dismiss an employee for any legal reason and the employee can also leave for any reason.

Posting a letter like this about your employer would certainly be grounds for a company to correctly decide they would no longer need that person's services at the company -- even if the person's bullet points in the letter were painfully accurate, it's clearly the wrong way for a "team player" to address those issues productively and his comments have certainly caused some serious PR pain to a company that already had plenty of momentum in that area.

Dismissing the writer would fall in line with what a lot of management academics might refer to as being sure you have the right people "on the bus" and, maybe more importantly, the wrong people OFF the bus. Jeesh, just imagine what the water cooler talk at RIM must be like this morning.
    07-01-11 10:32 AM
195 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD