07-04-11 05:16 PM
195 ... 23456 ...
tools
  1. T
    is anyone really all that concerned with security?
    Yes. I am.

is that the top notch feature?
    Yes, it's one of the many from BlackBerry.
    06-30-11 09:21 PM
    is anyone really all that concerned with security? is that the top notch feature? android and iphone both offer enterprise level options and most security flaws are at the fault of the user. i'll take options/freedom over security any day. had android for a few years now and i haven't had 1 security issue with it.
    OK with android but what freedom does iphone give you?
    06-30-11 09:22 PM
    lol what? so now you think blackberry is more secure? you do realize that blackberry was hacked in 15 minutes in pwn2own right? it isn't any more secure than anything else. jesus christ.
    first off BB was not hacked... it was a vulnerability within javascript in the browser... that was it... which essentially give you access to nothing. where as android has countless malicious apps in the market and iOS tracks everywhere you move... you make me laugh
    06-30-11 09:23 PM
    OK with android but what freedom does iphone give you?
    valid point, i pretty much hate that entire model, however the development app options inarguably dwarf blackberry, so that's some level of freedom
    06-30-11 09:25 PM
  5. T
    yeah i'd say if you're die hard blackberry web browsing certainly isn't a priority.
    It's not. I have a great laptop, and my BlackBerry works just fine for when the laptop isn't practical. My BlackBerry is primarily for messenging and communication; it does that better than Apple and Android, and it stores my data more securely than Apple and Android.
    06-30-11 09:26 PM
    first off BB was not hacked... it was a vulnerability within javascript in the browser... that was it... which essentially give you access to nothing. where as android has countless malicious apps in the market and iOS tracks everywhere you move... you make me laugh
    yes there are malicious apps, and the people that install what is obviously malware are only to blame, obviously the consumer market isn't too concerned with this considering the growth differentials, but the blackberry hack did provide information to the hack, it accessed contacts as well as sms messages i believe?
    06-30-11 09:27 PM
    It's not. I have a great laptop, and my BlackBerry works just fine for when the laptop isn't practical. My BlackBerry is primarily for messenging and communication; it does that better than Apple and Android, and it stores my data more securely than Apple and Android.
    hmm well i use both daily, and i can tell you that android manages my communications and contacts in a much faster more efficient way, if i have a contact on gmail, facebook, last.fm, twitter, qik, kik, and foursquare all of their information from every network and feed is in their contact card, updated as they update it, this means i don't have to open different programs to see all of their information, which obviously makes communication rather simple. i'm not going to argue with you that blackberry does stuff great or not, i think it does, i still totally adore BBM, but i can't agree that it's doing communication better than android, the api's are simply not to par with android.
    06-30-11 09:29 PM
  8. T
    yes there are malicious apps, and the people that install what is obviously malware are only to blame, obviously the consumer market isn't too concerned with this considering the growth differentials, but the blackberry hack did provide information to the hack, it accessed contacts as well as sms messages i believe?
    It was able to read/write to the media card. No, it could not access contacts or emails. From the same knowledge base link I provided above:

" An attacker exploiting this vulnerability could read or write to the built-in media storage section of a BlackBerry smartphone or to the media card, but not to access user data that the email, calendar and contact applications store in the application storage (the internal file system that stores application data and user data) of the BlackBerry smartphone.

The exploitation of the vulnerability was performed at the Pwn2Own 2011 Contest and is publicly known. The security researchers at Pwn2Own 2011 demonstrated a previously unknown WebKit vulnerability that enabled them to access the built-in media storage on a smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software version 6.0. The security researchers demonstrated that they could download the BlackBerry Messenger contact list as well as photos stored in the file system of that smartphone.

WebKit has access to data stored in the built-in media section as well as the media card (if present), but not the application storage of the BlackBerry smartphone because WebKit runs in a user mode process (a restricted process). See the Additional Details section for more details on user mode processes and the file storage system.

Details of the attack demonstration that disclosed this security issue have been publicly communicated, but the in-depth technical details necessary for an attacker other than the security researchers to leverage the vulnerability for a new attack have not. At this time there is no evidence of the vulnerability being used in attacks against the BlackBerry platform, and RIM is not aware of any impact to BlackBerry customers as a result of this vulnerability."

06-30-11 09:31 PM
    hmm well i use both daily, and i can tell you that android manages my communications and contacts in a much faster more efficient way, if i have a contact on gmail, facebook, last.fm, twitter, qik, kik, and foursquare all of their information from every network and feed is in their contact card, updated as they update it, this means i don't have to open different programs to see all of their information, which obviously makes communication rather simple. i'm not going to argue with you that blackberry does stuff great or not, i think it does, i still totally adore BBM, but i can't agree that it's doing communication better than android, the api's are simply not to par with android.
    That's cool but what does it do to your battery life?
    06-30-11 09:32 PM
    It was able to read/write to the media card. No, it could not access contacts or emails. From the same knowledge base link I provided above:

" An attacker exploiting this vulnerability could read or write to the built-in media storage section of a BlackBerry smartphone or to the media card, but not to access user data that the email, calendar and contact applications store in the application storage (the internal file system that stores application data and user data) of the BlackBerry smartphone.

The exploitation of the vulnerability was performed at the Pwn2Own 2011 Contest and is publicly known. The security researchers at Pwn2Own 2011 demonstrated a previously unknown WebKit vulnerability that enabled them to access the built-in media storage on a smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software version 6.0. The security researchers demonstrated that they could download the BlackBerry Messenger contact list as well as photos stored in the file system of that smartphone.

WebKit has access to data stored in the built-in media section as well as the media card (if present), but not the application storage of the BlackBerry smartphone because WebKit runs in a user mode process (a restricted process). See the Additional Details section for more details on user mode processes and the file storage system.

Details of the attack demonstration that disclosed this security issue have been publicly communicated, but the in-depth technical details necessary for an attacker other than the security researchers to leverage the vulnerability for a new attack have not. At this time there is no evidence of the vulnerability being used in attacks against the BlackBerry platform, and RIM is not aware of any impact to BlackBerry customers as a result of this vulnerability."

BlackBerry security breached at Pwn2Own 2011 | CrackBerry.com

clearly states access to contacts and images
    06-30-11 09:32 PM
    That's cool but what does it do to your battery life?
    i pull about 20 hours of regular usage, 24 light, if i'm playing games it dramatically decreases, never had to charge under 12 though
    06-30-11 09:34 PM
  12. T
    BlackBerry security breached at Pwn2Own 2011 | CrackBerry.com

clearly states access to contacts and images
    The part from me you quoted confirms that: BlackBerry Messenger contacts. But guess what? Turn off javascript and pawn2own accesses nothing!
    06-30-11 09:35 PM
    The part from me you quoted confirms that: BlackBerry Messenger contacts. But guess what? Turn off javascript and pawn2own accesses nothing!
    i think javascript is probably a must for A LOT of people, and the same goes for any OS, turn off the internet for your computer and you won't get viruses, turn off app installation on android and you won't get a virus, turning off features it not a solid solution. and as far as i know, this still hasn't been fixed.

and what i linked says it accesses ALL contacts.
    06-30-11 09:37 PM
    i pull about 20 hours of regular usage, 24 light, if i'm playing games it dramatically decreases, never had to charge under 12 though
    Nice, just realized that this thread has been derailed to st louis lol
    06-30-11 09:37 PM
    RIM needs an agressive restructuring, heads need to roll a la Apple '97 when Jobs/Rubenstein/Cook came through like a Grim Reaper and cut all the dead weight to keep the ship from sinking, and let the bright engineering minds shine through.

Hopefully a change from the top down will make for a hungrier RIM that wants to succeed or else it will be dead.
    06-30-11 09:39 PM
  16. T
    i think javascript is probably a must for A LOT of people, and the same goes for any OS, turn off the internet for your computer and you won't get viruses, turn off app installation on android and you won't get a virus, turning off features it not a solid solution. and as far as i know, this still hasn't been fixed.
    RIM presents it as a workaround, and it works for me. It doesn't hinder my browsing experience, but your mileage obviously varies, and that's okay, too.
    06-30-11 09:39 PM
    Indeed. That seems inside source like. Congrats on your magic battery. Regardless, why are you here? You have been swarming the forums with the whole RIM is awful and I have sources to prove it which I refuse to share but regardless BlackBerry is awful and so forth. What? You are free to go enjoy your brilliant device. Why do you need us?
    06-30-11 09:43 PM
    RIM needs an agressive restructuring, heads need to roll a la Apple '97 when Jobs/Rubenstein/Cook came through like a Grim Reaper and cut all the dead weight to keep the ship from sinking, and let the bright engineering minds shine through.

Hopefully a change from the top down will make for a hungrier RIM that wants to succeed or else it will be dead.
    this is detrimental really, too often people become old, figuratively and physically, people get old and they don't think things need to change, businesses die, restaurants close, software companies can't keep up because they're being beat by people doing new things. it's a very rare thing for a model to stay the same and survive, and RIM definitely needs to skim the old. i'm not saying they need to be making sidekicks and marketing to teenagers, but there needs to be some breath of fresh air in there, because it really sounds like everyone is suffocating and they're trying 100 different paths at once.

qnx is and could be great(er) it's going to come down to nothing more than development. they have the users still to grow or at least make sales, but they HAVE to get development in there. and so far the response from the development community for QNX has been nightmarish, maybe even worse than BBOS.

this must be a key focus for them, top priority. stop talking about how rich we are, how loyal our users are, how great the experience is, because that's all moot, they're falling, they're in denial, and honestly if i was at the top and i saw that letter, i'd fire everyone above him and put him in charge, this is someone who cares.
    06-30-11 09:45 PM
    Indeed. That seems inside source like. Congrats on your magic battery. Regardless, why are you here? You have been swarming the forums with the whole RIM is awful and I have sources to prove it which I refuse to share but regardless BlackBerry is awful and so forth. What? You are free to go enjoy your brilliant device. Why do you need us?
    hmm yeah, you've been trolling me for a few hours now, pretty amazing that i never said anything of the sort. my only interest is truth, and yes RIM is pretty awful right now. that needs to be said, people need to realize it, and come up with ways to improve it. if you don't reflect, you don't learn. you look in the mirror every day don't you? i'm partaking in conversation relative to my interests, so stop with the 'if you can't talk nice, go home" i've been here a while and i want to watch RIM thrive.
    06-30-11 09:47 PM
  20. T
    hmm yeah, you've been trolling me for a few hours now, pretty amazing that i never said anything of the sort. my only interest is truth, and yes RIM is pretty awful right now. that needs to be said, people need to realize it, and come up with ways to improve it. if you don't reflect, you don't learn. you look in the mirror every day don't you? i'm partaking in conversation relative to my interests, so stop with the 'if you can't talk nice, go home" i've been here a while and i want to watch RIM thrive.
    Just because you say security doesn't matter and RIM is failing doesn't make it true. (Just bought a new BlackBerry a week and a half ago.)
    06-30-11 09:52 PM
    OK, I asked in another thread but no one answered and maybe no one knows but here goes again. Did RIM only purchase QNX and TAT for an investment or are QNX and TAT programmers working on the playbook or are RIMs bbos programmers working on the playbook? If the latter............ugh.
    06-30-11 09:52 PM
    Trolling you? We can't avoid you. I think RIM needs to speed things up but the playbook is far from awful. They have admitted the mistakes and have presented the road map to address it. So are you going to scream foul for the next 18 months or do you understand that recovering from their error takes time?
    06-30-11 09:53 PM
    Just because you say security doesn't matter and RIM is failing doesn't make it true. (Just bought a new BlackBerry a week and a half ago.)
    well if android is unsecure as you say, and selling 500,000 units a DAY...then i'd say security isn't a major feature for most consumers, in fact rather irrelevant, that's why i said that, much like battery life.

as for RIM falling...i mean just read the article, look at the stock, and watch the video on this page
    06-30-11 09:54 PM
    Trolling you? We can't avoid you. I think RIM needs to speed things up but the playbook is far from awful. They have admitted the mistakes and have presented the road map to address it. So are you going to scream foul for the next 18 months or do you understand that recovering from their error takes time?
    i couldn't agree more i told EVERYONE to get a playbook, only to be laughed at by people because it didn't have email functionality, and all but one of my friends has switched from blackberry to ios or android. i think if rim's customers get lazy and stop screaming for more, then they'll be lazy again. kudos to them for the effort, now it's time to produce. these scenarios were presented to them years ago, and they scoffed at it. everyone is to blame, i'm not going to do anything other than comment on what i see. if blackberry releases a stellar phone it will be acknowledged as such. let me know if i say things that aren't true, otherwise it's simply objective, and is that ever bad?
    06-30-11 09:56 PM
  25. T
    well if android is unsecure as you say, and selling 500,000 units a DAY...then i'd say security isn't a major feature for most consumers, in fact rather irrelevant, that's why i said that, much like battery life.

as for RIM falling...i mean just read the article, look at the stock, and watch the video on this page
    Okay, I gotta know ... Did you write the letter?
    06-30-11 09:58 PM
195 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD