07-04-11 05:16 PM
195 1234 ...
tools
    RIM can easily "re-invent" itself with a QNX phone and some great reviews on the bold touch series. They just have to get the CEOs out of the way

I'm not so sure RIM can "easily" do that. To be honest, it sounds as though they need to clean house according to this letter. The fact that people who were responsible for the Blackberry Storm are still with this company shows how terrible it really has gotten. Whoever was responsible for that travesty have no business in the software industry.
    06-30-11 01:29 PM
    True or not. I doubt it was written by an employee of rim. X employee or John Gellar him self.

I have to say, open letters like this SHOULD be signed by the author. The fact that the guy or girl signs it as "Rim employee" shows that he is part of the culture of "afraid".

This guy should be the trend setter and place his name on the bottom. So what - you can't get fired for this. You did nothing wrong. Anyways. Some good points.

Lol @ the storm engineers still being employed
    Really? Really? Calling out your bosses, company, and other employees publicly isn't grounds to fire someone?
    06-30-11 01:33 PM
    And the guy who was in charge of storm software is still there?

What in the ******* rim? How is anyone who was responsible for that still working there?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have been saying something is seriously wrong inside rim for a while now! Where are the fanbois now that have been saying nothing is wrong, shut up, delays and falling behind the competition while srock prices tumble is normal?

The s1 os devloper?!?!?! Wtf? Still there and thats all he does!?!?!

And i work at a place where ancient employees still on the payroll but underperforming have seriously hurt company productivity... the side affect from this is that good employees bail and move on.

Which we have heard that employees have been leaving.

Jim and mike arent the people to do anything about this because their incompetence let it happen. Shareholders, remove them! (i am one and i can tell you where my vote goes)

How loud does the fat lady have to sing?

06-30-11 01:53 PM
    True or not. I doubt it was written by an employee of rim. X employee or John Gellar him self.

I have to say, open letters like this SHOULD be signed by the author. The fact that the guy or girl signs it as "Rim employee" shows that he is part of the culture of "afraid".

This guy should be the trend setter and place his name on the bottom. So what - you can't get fired for this. You did nothing wrong. Anyways. Some good points.

Lol @ the storm engineers still being employed
    You'd like to think it's not so, but you absolutely can get fired for this. I personally know someone who did, and for significantly less scathing comments in a far less public forum. This kind of thing, while most likely well-intended, is extremely harmful to the company, especially if enough heavy investors take any stock in it. Given the precarious position RIM finds itself in recently, it's ridiculously easy for something like this to gain traction. I can almost guaranty you there's a significant effort going on right now by corporate security to find out who this individual is. There probably aren't grounds for any legal recourse; but if the identity of the author of this letter is discovered, he/she most assuredly lose his/her job for it.

06-30-11 02:05 PM
    You'd like to think it's not so, but you absolutely can get fired for this. I personally know someone who did, and for significantly less scathing comments in a far less public forum. This kind of thing, while most likely well-intended, is extremely harmful to the company, especially if enough heavy investors take any stock in it. Given the precarious position RIM finds itself in recently, it's ridiculously easy for something like this to gain traction. I can almost guaranty you there's a significant effort going on right now by corporate security to find out who this individual is. There probably aren't grounds for any legal recourse; but if the identity of the author of this letter is discovered, he/she most assuredly lose his/her job for it.

Its already on most tech sites, and a few financial ones as well... Its too late now!
    06-30-11 02:16 PM

Well i disagree with you a lot but this is one place i back you up.

Being a whistle-blower often has resulted in termination.

Even if he covers his behind in some way so management cant fire him, management has a wonderful little tool called "the s**t list". His or her name will be added to it, and the next time he or she does anything wrong its documented and they are fired for it.

06-30-11 02:22 PM
    Its already on most tech sites, and a few financial ones as well... Its too late now!
    Good. I really want to see some management up North ... Steve Job's generates reality distortion bubbles with his mouth when he markets his products, Mike and Jim live/work in a reality distortion bubble. Let's get rid of the culture of incompetence and get some fresh blood in there to revitalize and invigorate the company.
    06-30-11 02:25 PM
    Steve Job's generates reality distortion bubbles with his mouth when he markets his products, Mike and Jim live/work in a reality distortion bubble.
    That made me laugh
    06-30-11 02:29 PM
    I'm not sure which YouTube video everyone is talking about, I watched the one where the speaker is talking about how to be a leader that inspires behavior.

Regardless, what the **** is the Storm1 employee still doing there?! I own a Storm2 and we see very little to none OS updates let alone leaked software. Everyone is holding on to their tenure and wrapped themselves in a bubble that only THEY are the best and that's final.

I trust that this is a valid letter, it sounds like it would be. Whether it is or isn't does not matter. This letter will soon go viral and that was the intent.
    06-30-11 02:30 PM
    You arent kidding.

Go google "anonymous rim employee writes letter to rim management" and see how many sites are covering it.

Screw Mike and Jim, they are incompetent. They allowed this to happen in the first place.

That letter should have been written to rim shareholders.

06-30-11 02:33 PM
    I just read, Jonathan S. Geller from BGR will be appearing on CNBC @ 5pm EST to discuss the letter....
    06-30-11 02:34 PM
    I just read, Jonathan S. Geller from BGR will be appearing on CNBC @ 5pm EST to discuss the letter....
    lol that is tooo funny
    06-30-11 02:38 PM
    Well now that's a real shame that that little puke ends up getting any publicity out of all this.

06-30-11 02:50 PM
    Well now that's a real shame that that little puke ends up getting any publicity out of all this.

Kinda makes me question the authencity of the letter now
    06-30-11 02:52 PM
    Kinda makes me question the authencity of the letter now
    On the contrary, it actually supports its authenticity. If CNBC puts Geller on the air with a bad source, they expose themselves to a libel action, as BGR has already done if the letter isn't authentic.
    06-30-11 02:57 PM
    i agree, this speaks volumes to it's legitimacy, however, it doesn't even matter at this point, it's everywhere it could be at this time, so even if it's fake it's impact is real.
    06-30-11 03:05 PM
    RIM response.... also on CB front-page

An “Open Letter” to RIM’s senior management was published anonymously on the web today and it was attributed to an unnamed person described as a ‘high level employee”. It is obviously difficult to address anonymous commentary and it is particularly difficult to believe that a “high level employee” in good standing with the company would choose to anonymously publish a letter on the web rather than engage their fellow executives in a constructive manner, but regardless of whether the letter is real, fake, exaggerated or written with ulterior motivations, it is fair to say that the senior management team at RIM is nonetheless fully aware of and aggressively addressing both the company’s challenges and its opportunities.

RIM recently confirmed that it is nearing the end of a major business and technology transition. Although this transition has taken longer than anticipated, there is much excitement and optimism within the company about the new products that are lined up for the coming months. There is a fundamental business reality however that following an extended period of hyper growth (during which RIM nearly quadrupled in size over the past 5 years alone), it has become necessary for the company to streamline its operations in order to allow it to grow its business profitably while pursuing newer strategic opportunities. Again, RIM’s management team takes these challenges seriously and is actively addressing the situation. The company is thankfully in a solid business and financial position to tackle the opportunities ahead with a solid balance sheet (nearly $3 billion in cash and no debt), strong profitability (RIM’s net income last quarter was $695 million) and substantial international growth (international revenue in Q1 grew 67% over the same quarter last year). In fact, while growth has slowed in the US, RIM still shipped 13.2 million BlackBerry smartphones last quarter (which is about 100 smartphones per minute, 24 hours per day) and RIM is more committed than ever to serving its loyal customers and partners around the world.
    06-30-11 03:09 PM
    it is particularly difficult to believe that a “high level employee” in good standing with the company would choose to anonymously publish a letter on the web rather than engage their fellow executives in a constructive manner, but regardless of whether the letter is real, fake, exaggerated or written with ulterior motivations, it is fair to say that the senior management team at RIM is nonetheless fully aware of and aggressively addressing both the company’s challenges and its opportunities.
    Hard to believe that someone doesn't want to present ideas to a pair of CEOs that don't realize wtf is going on and would probably fire him/her for saying these things they don't even realize? Nah, not hard to believe at all.

Play it safe again RIM.
    06-30-11 03:45 PM
    When RIM CEO's said at the June 16th shareholders meeting they had to go back and redisign a device to be "competative in the US market", right there shows how really out of touch Top RIM execs are...you SHOULD always have the "We're aiming to be #1 against, Apple, Android, Windows...let's show 'em what the back of. Our RIM a*s looks like" attitude...again, you snooze u lose...and u follow Apple and Steve Jobs around like a spanked puppy.

06-30-11 03:54 PM
    BGR just announced on CNBC he has 2 more letters. Both are from 2 different employees.
    06-30-11 04:07 PM
    Not trying to sound overly pessimistic here, but I believe RIM's first reaction to this in the media will be downplay and damage control. If that goes over, doubtful they'll rush to do anything outside of their current plans or comfort zone.
    06-30-11 04:07 PM
    A few others have made comments that they know who wrote this letter that it is authentic and pretty bad for RIM.

06-30-11 05:03 PM
    BGR just announced on CNBC he has 2 more letters. Both are from 2 different employees.
    Looks like those letters will be posted on BGR tomorrow.
    06-30-11 05:08 PM
    Looks like Jonathan Geller is trusted more by RIM employees than Crackberry Kevin.

Oh yea, and I have 3 more letters from RIM employees...honest....but they're anonymous They were just hand delivered to me an hour ago.
    06-30-11 05:34 PM
    Oh yea, and I have 3 more letters from RIM employees...honest....but they're anonymous They were just hand delivered to me an hour ago.
    This is a forum, not a cable channel aimed at investors, and you're anonymous. The differences matter.
    06-30-11 06:26 PM
195 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD