07-11-11 05:01 PM
265 ... 7891011
tools
    I might be wrong here, but there seems to be a comparison regarding hardware and battery life and some feel that when BB's get a high res screen and faster processors then they will have the same or less battery life than the current Androids.
    From what I have understood about BB is that even though it is an always ON device, the BB however does not stay connected to the network continuously and exchanges data constantly. What it does is periodically Ping the RIM NOC to ensure that the NOC knows about the device's presence.
    It is this periodic exchange of data that save battery as compared to being constantly online.
    I have tried Gtalk on my Torch and the battery life significantly drops when I'm logged into Gtalk. Same screen, same processor only a Constant Network app is on and the battery drops.
    While BBM doesn't suck battery even though it has the same function of Gtalk.
    Everyone keeps talking about front end functionality and how a lot of messaging apps do the same things as BBM, but no one talks about the BBM way of communicating that saves battery.
    My wife has the HTC Legend which has roughly the same specs as the Torch. It's nice and everything, but try turning network access on and then browsing and IM on it and the battery starts dropping away.
    I browse on the Torch a lot and nothing happens to the battery.
    It's not RIM "MAGIC" or RIM "Marketing Spin", it is the way RIM has designed its networking protocol. And only RIM has that kind of servers to make a parallel network besides the internet. A BB doesn't access Internet directly. It connects to the RIM NOC through the carrier gateway. It is the RIM NOC which provides Internet pages etc.
    Dead on.
    While the email is push the device is not always active...there's sleep mode.
    Some would say that there is a delay between mail deliveries on a BB and therefore it's not push....I'd counter that with the fact that my mail delivery is instant as it was on my Atrix and my iPhone.
    07-08-11 03:58 AM
    Dead on.
    While the email is push the device is not always active...there's sleep mode.
    Some would say that there is a delay between mail deliveries on a BB and therefore it's not push....I'd counter that with the fact that my mail delivery is instant as it was on my Atrix and my iPhone.
    Yea. I get my mail on BB's before it shows up on my open Gmail page. Even after refreshing the page twice it doesn't show up.
    07-08-11 04:28 AM
    If RIM keeps doing what they're doing. Minimum hardware there marketshare will keep shrinking. Low power devices just for business is a smaller market than the consumer side. Apple and Google want the enterprise market as well and not leaving RIM to supply those markets. If they don't jump to 4g now they will be behind AGAIN later when they do jump to 4g. I like RIM and I want them to succeed and not just be a 2 way race but they are really killing themselves by not giving what the consumers WANT.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    4G(LTE) is NOT a global crucial requirement yet!
    RIM clearly is changing their model of being low specs by putting 1.2Ghz processors in their premium line, and 800mHz in the curve line for OS7 devices while not incorporating technology for the sake of technology and being able to say ME TOO! which I believe is the right strategy.
    They also have a road map to dual core processors under the hood for QNX phones which are slated for 2012, meaning they are ramping their hardware development cycle far faster than in the past to keep relevance with consumers.

Not every consumer is a spec junky, as long as RIM doesn't appear to lag out compared to other devices they will sell.
    07-08-11 05:43 AM
    Each of your views on what business needs is unique to you. Don't project it on everyone or every business. A lot of people could disagree with your RIM centric view of low end being all business want or need.
    07-08-11 06:13 AM
  5. T
    Same could be said for consumers. Don't presume every consumer wants a "1.2 ghz processor." I'm a consumer, and I don't.

07-08-11 06:22 AM
    Each of your views on what business needs is unique to you. Don't project it on everyone or every business. A lot of people could disagree with your RIM centric view of low end being all business want or need.
    BB's might not be high-end, but they're hardly low-end. See Qbn's earlier post - the features that high-end devices offer are usually not the top preferences of businesses. Workers may want to use their iPhones and Androids on the job, but the vast majority of businesses still prefer BB's. And as much as other devices had made inroads into the business market, tech departments are generally coming around again to how much better BB's are suited to their business needs, specifically in the areas of software management and security, but also battery life.

07-08-11 07:49 AM
    Absolutely. I speak about a specific sector, the secure community within the US federal government. Which is mirrored across corporations where security (physical or intellectual) is paramount.
    Conversely, I would say those to whom security is not a consideration need to understand their views are equally not universal.

07-08-11 07:57 AM
    well you are just wrong!

and disagree with conviction!! no apologies
    Hey, you're supposed to be the confrontational one. Which I still don't buy, as I equate confrontational with aggressive (a negative trait to be sure), and you're far more assertive than aggressive. I'm just argumentative and idealistic. And a grouch. Although aggressive people do tend to make me confrontational at times. So there.

07-08-11 08:17 AM
    I think he's confrontational AND aggressive.
    And probably a hottie.

07-08-11 08:25 AM
    And probably a hottie.

LOL, so do hotties get a pass then or is that a trait that makes him even more hot? J/K

Ah, as long as there isn't any name calling, putting down etc. I think it's all good to see different views but yes of course we are not all the same and don't want the same things.
    07-08-11 08:32 AM
    And probably a hottie.

No probably about it
    07-08-11 08:34 AM
    LMAO and conceited too! I kid derussert.
    07-08-11 08:36 AM
    LOL, so do hotties get a pass then or is that a trait that makes him even more hot? J/K

Ah, as long as there isn't any name calling, putting down etc. I think it's all good to see different views but yes of course we are not all the same and don't want the same things.

Life would be much easier if everyone just listened to me.
    07-08-11 08:36 AM
    Ours or yours or both.............ugh derailed again.
    07-08-11 08:37 AM
    Ssshhh....we're having too much fun!!!! Sssssshhhhh.....quietly....Branta will come in with the mod stck....

07-08-11 08:58 AM
    @Kbz1960 - dR gets a pass *because* he's a hottie.

07-08-11 09:00 AM
    @Kbz1960 - dR gets a pass *because* he's a hottie.

Ah, I was wondering if I had to change my ways to attract women.
    07-08-11 09:01 AM
    Why do I get the feeling QB is suffering from a certain pregnant woman syndrome?

07-08-11 09:29 AM
    Dude, you have NO IDEA!!!!!!!

07-08-11 09:31 AM
    Why do I get the feeling QB is suffering from a certain pregnant woman syndrome?

Is that a new feature from RIM?
    07-08-11 09:50 AM
    Dude, you have NO IDEA!!!!!!!

Ha ha, I knew it

07-08-11 09:52 AM
    Is that a new feature from RIM?
    Yup - specific to BBM. Bypasses BES. ALWAYS encrypted.

Hee, hee....you KNOW a mod's going to be called here any minute! PK's going to be upset!

Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-08-11 at 10:05 AM.
    07-08-11 10:03 AM
    Yup - specific to BBM. Bypasses BES. ALWAYS encrypted.

I need to get that BBM version my BBM doesn't seem to have that feature
    07-08-11 10:05 AM
    Comes in verrrrrrrry handy!

07-08-11 10:10 AM
    I need to get that BBM version my BBM doesn't seem to have that feature
    Mine does I must say I indulge the odd time

07-08-11 10:10 AM
265 ... 7891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD