07-11-11 05:01 PM
265 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Absolutely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 09:12 AM
    I love how fast we can be charged back up with the Torch

I can kill it to RED battery warning as I get home around 8pm, throw it on the wall charger, have a shower, and get changed, grab it and out the door at 9pm and keep going till after midnight.

Used to be better before it went for a swim

Yup! Ran in, straight to my office, plugged in, exactly 75 minutes later it's at 50% from dead. On an usb connection. Had it been on a wall it would have been even faster.

07-07-11 09:20 AM
    Absolutely.

Thanks!

07-07-11 09:20 AM
    Out of curiosity, can you make and receive calls on Torch without sliding the keyboard open?

Yes - calls can be made and received on the Torch with the slider open or closed. You can answer an in-coming call by opening the slider or hitting the green phone button; likewise, you can end a call by closing the slider (if it's open) or hitting the End button.

Edit: Oops, Cubie's too fast for me!!
    07-07-11 09:25 AM
    Oh no, dR, are you really holier than me?!

07-07-11 09:30 AM
    He's definitely holier than me!!! I'm a wreck these days!!!!
    Hee, hee....

07-07-11 09:32 AM
    Actually there are minions of satan that are holier than me ... it isn't all that far to go.

@cxg, read the guy's posts - he's one of the sharper individuals on this board. I don't think he's confrontational or holier-than-thou at all. He brings a different business perspective to these discussions and I find his posts very informative. In this particular case, I think he has a legitimate argument; I questioned the 'proof' of that 20-hour claim myself and I'm glad he challenged it.

Last edited by 18to12fitty; 07-07-11 at 09:40 AM.
    07-07-11 09:34 AM
    The last few days have been PHENOMENAL!!!!!
    Ain't goin' further, baby!!!! Life's good!

07-07-11 09:39 AM
    yes the phone was actually screen on and being used maybe 1/3 of the time in that period, it was also streaming music for an hour at one point, with the screen off, however i don't really see the relevance here, even with a much more active 'screen on time' it would have lasted well over 12 hours, which i don't think anyone has a problem with...and as stated earlier, the faster the network the worse the battery life, what i consider my favorite feature of android is the ability to have this automated depending on where i am and what i'm doing. i have 'tasker' set up to automatically turn on/off wifi and radio 2g/4g depending on where i am and what i'm doing on my phone, this way if the phone is mostly idle, it switches to 2g, if it gets a certain amount of data to collect it switches to 4g, if i walk in my front door wifi comes on by itself. sort of a tangent, but the automation is nice. whenever you see a 4g blackberry you're going to be experiencing the same issues. switching to 2g is the best thing you can ever do for your battery. 4g is the worst.
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-07-11 at 03:12 PM.
    07-07-11 02:58 PM
    Actually there are minions of satan that are holier than me ... it isn't all that far to go.

@cxg, read the guy's posts - he's one of the sharper individuals on this board. I don't think he's confrontational or holier-than-thou at all. He brings a different business perspective to these discussions and I find his posts very informative. In this particular case, I think he has a legitimate argument; I questioned the 'proof' of that 20-hour claim myself and I'm glad he challenged it.

OH I disagree!
    I very much AM confrontational, I voice when I disagree, and I don't apologize for it! I want people to blast back with the facts to support their convictions, I love a good debate, and have been proven wrong before.

unfortunately cxg has made a number of posts I disagreed with, AND did not like my confrontational approach, the passive aggressive replied thus went ignored by me, as they serve little purpose to a debate so again it has come back.

BUT he is right on the money with me being confrontational.

Also It does a great disservice to many posters saying I'm one of the sharpest, I can think of more than 30 posters who knowledge dwarfs mine, especially on the technical front

EDIT:
    LOL See I lead with "I disagree" the start of my confrontational demeanor.
    Last edited by deRusett; 07-07-11 at 04:08 PM.
    07-07-11 03:47 PM
    yes the phone was actually screen on and being used maybe 1/3 of the time in that period, it was also streaming music for an hour at one point, with the screen off, however i don't really see the relevance here, even with a much more active 'screen on time' it would have lasted well over 12 hours, which i don't think anyone has a problem with...and as stated earlier, the faster the network the worse the battery life, what i consider my favorite feature of android is the ability to have this automated depending on where i am and what i'm doing. i have 'tasker' set up to automatically turn on/off wifi and radio 2g/4g depending on where i am and what i'm doing on my phone, this way if the phone is mostly idle, it switches to 2g, if it gets a certain amount of data to collect it switches to 4g, if i walk in my front door wifi comes on by itself. sort of a tangent, but the automation is nice. whenever you see a 4g blackberry you're going to be experiencing the same issues. switching to 2g is the best thing you can ever do for your battery. 4g is the worst.

The Relevance very much is due to your statement of "Dual cores get through the day Just fine" as stated in Post #150
    The Point that the you can get 20h of your phone with light usage isn't impressive. you used your phone approximately 4h in 12h, extrapolating your 20h being half of the additional time in bed (since you took the 12h pic because you didn't want to leave it on over night) you'd get only be using your phone a total 5h in the 20h period, a moderate to heavy user would use a blackberry device for 5h in the 10hour day, a heavy to extreme user (heavy business user not in an office) would use in a 12 hour business day 10h of screen on time, mixed between phone calls, emails, etc. which usually is my day. and I'm not even the heaviest user within my company.

The 4G market exists! that is undeniable, but should RIM enter it and give up one of their primary selling features that also has a very real requirement to many of their primary market being business use? NO they should not, they should leave the 4G market to hardware vendors and spend time working on software optimization and working with sample single SoC's with 4G chips.

Battery life isn't relevant to everyone, but it is always better to have too much life than not enough
    07-07-11 03:59 PM
    Dual cores get through the day just fine, with the exception of the g2x, I have a sensation and get 20 hours from it. Besides that battery life doesn't seem to be a sticking point with consumers AMD BlackBerry has always made it a priority so I say bring on blackberry dual cores. RIM can't afford to release phones that aren't spec wise up to par with the market ay this point and charge the same for them

I'm sorry but this point was not proven in this instance. Which leaves other claims' credibility somewhat lacking.
    07-07-11 08:12 PM
    I'm sorry but this point was not proven in this instance. Which leaves other claims' credibility somewhat lacking.
    well you may want to do the math i had 40% left after 12 hours, but as usual the general rule of thumb here is to assume everything is a lie, doesn't matter that i said it, or that nearly every review of the device says it, or that other members here have said it, it surely has to just be a lie. and in fact i think that picture quite clearly demonstrates that it does, regularily

not to mention the fact that you can clearly see that wifi was off all day, and i was on 4g, which is actually pretty incredible now that i look at it, 4g usually scares me for bad battery life, but yeah, that'd go 20h

as we speak i'm 9 hours off a charger and i had a 90 minute voicecall and and display on for 2 hours and i'm still at 60%
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-07-11 at 08:36 PM.
    07-07-11 08:23 PM
    The Relevance very much is due to your statement of "Dual cores get through the day Just fine" as stated in Post #150
    The Point that the you can get 20h of your phone with light usage isn't impressive. you used your phone approximately 4h in 12h, extrapolating your 20h being half of the additional time in bed (since you took the 12h pic because you didn't want to leave it on over night) you'd get only be using your phone a total 5h in the 20h period, a moderate to heavy user would use a blackberry device for 5h in the 10hour day, a heavy to extreme user (heavy business user not in an office) would use in a 12 hour business day 10h of screen on time, mixed between phone calls, emails, etc. which usually is my day. and I'm not even the heaviest user within my company.

The 4G market exists! that is undeniable, but should RIM enter it and give up one of their primary selling features that also has a very real requirement to many of their primary market being business use? NO they should not, they should leave the 4G market to hardware vendors and spend time working on software optimization and working with sample single SoC's with 4G chips.

Battery life isn't relevant to everyone, but it is always better to have too much life than not enough
    here's the thing, blackberry's don't get great battery life because of some elite secret software technology, they get great battery life because honestly, they're ancient. when you see blackberry's come out with large screens and fast cpus on 4g it'll be the same. it isn't the os that drains a battery it's the hardware.

as for the amount of time i was using the phone, i think using your phone for 1/3 of 12 hours is actually excessive. if your blackberry goes 24 hours are you using it 50% of the time? 4 solid hours of screen on time is a LOT for a day.
    Last edited by katiepea; 07-07-11 at 08:27 PM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-07-11 08:25 PM
    here's the thing, blackberry's don't get great battery life because of some elite secret software technology, they get great battery life because honestly, they're ancient. when you see blackberry's come out with large screens and fast cpus on 4g it'll be the same. it isn't the os that drains a battery it's the hardware.

as for the amount of time i was using the phone, i think using your phone for 1/3 of 12 hours is actually excessive. if your blackberry goes 24 hours are you using it 50% of the time? 4 solid hours of screen on time is a LOT for a day.
    A LOT is a relative term,
    4h of usage in a day is my day off!
    If I can go a day without 4 hours just talking on the phone I am in bliss!

And I never said there was some magic it is obvious blackberry's battery life has to do with the lower end software and device optimization, WHICH matters Which is why I stand true to the fact I do not believe RIM should be making a 4G phone, why be the same as every other battery sucking device, how do you get through a corporate outting with a phone that can't do a full heavy day,
    07-07-11 09:18 PM

And I never said there was some magic it is obvious blackberry's battery life has to do with the lower end software and device optimization, WHICH matters Which is why I stand true to the fact I do not believe RIM should be making a 4G phone, why be the same as every other battery sucking device, how do you get through a corporate outting with a phone that can't do a full heavy day,
    4g definitely takes a hit, but me and my gf have been getting a minumum of 13 hours of quite heavy usage to 20+ of regular usage, looks like all of blackberry's upcoming lineup is 4g
    07-07-11 09:22 PM
    4g definitely takes a hit, but me and my gf have been getting a minumum of 13 hours of quite heavy usage to 20+ of regular usage, looks like all of blackberry's upcoming lineup is 4g
    They are all HSPA+ compliant which has been in Canada as 3G for a while the 9780 is HSPA+ compliant,

And we've already established your definition of heavy usage and my definition of heavy usage are VERY different.

if we take your posted usage as a low average day for you, 13h is ok...
    07-07-11 09:33 PM
    They are all HSPA+ compliant whiich has been in Canada as 3G for a while the 9780 is HSPA+ compliant,

And we've already established your definition of heavy usage and my definition of heavy usage are VERY different.

if we take your posted usage as a low average day or you, 13h is ok...
    Businesses don't need high tech, battery hog devices.Bare bones is all they need, high tech battery hogs are for tablets anyway on the business side. Consumers have the freedom of choice that business does not.
    07-07-11 09:54 PM
    Businesses don't need high tech, battery hog devices.Bare bones is all they need, high tech battery hogs are for tablets anyway on the business side. Consumers have the freedom of choice that business does not.
    very much agreed

Though some consumers will go for less glitz and glam for perceived reliability.

AND that is the Market my belief is that RIM needs to remain, the cutting edge is not the spot that a all in one supplier should be playing in, as your ROI for a device is greatly reduced unless it is THE hit device.
    07-07-11 10:02 PM
    OH I disagree!
    I very much AM confrontational, I voice when I disagree, and I don't apologize for it! I want people to blast back with the facts to support their convictions, I love a good debate, and have been proven wrong before.

unfortunately cxg has made a number of posts I disagreed with, AND did not like my confrontational approach, the passive aggressive replied thus went ignored by me, as they serve little purpose to a debate so again it has come back.

BUT he is right on the money with me being confrontational.

Also It does a great disservice to many posters saying I'm one of the sharpest, I can think of more than 30 posters who knowledge dwarfs mine, especially on the technical front

EDIT:
    LOL See I lead with "I disagree" the start of my confrontational demeanor.
    Well I disagree.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
    07-07-11 10:19 PM
    Well I disagree.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
    well you are just wrong!

and disagree with conviction!! no apologies
    07-07-11 10:50 PM

If RIM keeps doing what they're doing. Minimum hardware there marketshare will keep shrinking. Low power devices just for business is a smaller market than the consumer side. Apple and Google want the enterprise market as well and not leaving RIM to supply those markets. If they don't jump to 4g now they will be behind AGAIN later when they do jump to 4g. I like RIM and I want them to succeed and not just be a 2 way race but they are really killing themselves by not giving what the consumers WANT.

07-07-11 11:57 PM
    well you may want to do the math i had 40% left after 12 hours, but as usual the general rule of thumb here is to assume everything is a lie, doesn't matter that i said it, or that nearly every review of the device says it, or that other members here have said it, it surely has to just be a lie. and in fact i think that picture quite clearly demonstrates that it does, regularily

not to mention the fact that you can clearly see that wifi was off all day, and i was on 4g, which is actually pretty incredible now that i look at it, 4g usually scares me for bad battery life, but yeah, that'd go 20h

as we speak i'm 9 hours off a charger and i had a 90 minute voicecall and and display on for 2 hours and i'm still at 60%
    What I said was simply that your point was not proven. It wasn't. No math or projections would have been needed had the screenshot been taken at 20 hours showing the usage.
    The reason I asked is because I had a very disappointing experience with the Atrix I got. REALLY excited about it. Paid straight for it only to find that it did not get me through the day while on the network. So based on my experience when you said 20 hours I was incredulous. Natural response.
    I wish you had gone the 20 hours. I also wonder about your definition of heavy use against mine.
    But really, since you did not go the full 20 hours, your point was not proven.
    07-08-11 02:47 AM
    Absolutely true. When I hand a phone to a new employee it's made clear that this is a work device. There is a full disclosure letter that we both sign. Monitoring. Work only. No apps possible. BES controlled. To be returned upon request. Simple, basic. They know they get the device because I will need to contact them and they need to be available; conversely, I'm available 24/7.
    That is the kind of availability that we need from our devices. I personally will not hand out a device that will die midway through the day, it does me no good, so what's the point.
    This is what the proponents of the overmuscled devices don't see. Corporations or federal agencies want availability. That's the reason they give the phones...it's not a perk. It's a tool. A perk is a corner office.
    07-08-11 02:56 AM
    I might be wrong here, but there seems to be a comparison regarding hardware and battery life and some feel that when BB's get a high res screen and faster processors then they will have the same or less battery life than the current Androids.
    From what I have understood about BB is that even though it is an always ON device, the BB however does not stay connected to the network continuously and exchanges data constantly. What it does is periodically Ping the RIM NOC to ensure that the NOC knows about the device's presence.
    It is this periodic exchange of data that save battery as compared to being constantly online.
    I have tried Gtalk on my Torch and the battery life significantly drops when I'm logged into Gtalk. Same screen, same processor only a Constant Network app is on and the battery drops.
    While BBM doesn't suck battery even though it has the same function of Gtalk.
    Everyone keeps talking about front end functionality and how a lot of messaging apps do the same things as BBM, but no one talks about the BBM way of communicating that saves battery.
    My wife has the HTC Legend which has roughly the same specs as the Torch. It's nice and everything, but try turning network access on and then browsing and IM on it and the battery starts dropping away.
    I browse on the Torch a lot and nothing happens to the battery.
    It's not RIM "MAGIC" or RIM "Marketing Spin", it is the way RIM has designed its networking protocol. And only RIM has that kind of servers to make a parallel network besides the internet. A BB doesn't access Internet directly. It connects to the RIM NOC through the carrier gateway. It is the RIM NOC which provides Internet pages etc.
    07-08-11 03:20 AM
265 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD