07-11-11 06:01 PM
265 ... 56789 ...
tools
    That 20 hours is pr-speak. It's kind of like saying "unlimited data" when you mean 5gb. These paid posters will soon be saying their droids and iPhones get "unlimited battery life."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    tonis get over your conspiracies, nobody is paying me to post here, it's absurd. if you think blackberry is doing badly because of people talking on the internet you need to do some reading
    07-06-11 06:01 PM
    ....which would mean that I picked the wrong device to try out Android with....

Matt - was there ever a reason figured out why the Atrix becomes laggy after the first three weeks or so? The power and speed of the first few days went away with use.

VERY disappointing.
    07-06-11 06:11 PM
    oops damn, wrong button on the previous post. but anyway the sensation looks to get great life but you probably would still run it into the ground just like the atrix. I want to see the like you get out of a 9900

no it shouldnt randomly slow down really like that. I mean it might occasionally but not nothing that a couple seconds for its issue to pass or a reset wouldnt fix. You had something going on that wasnt right. I forget did you wipe and start fresh with it?
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-06-11 at 06:17 PM.
    07-06-11 06:15 PM
    That 20 hours is pr-speak. It's kind of like saying "unlimited data" when you mean 5gb. These paid posters will soon be saying their droids and iPhones get "unlimited battery life."
    No no no. We did "unlimited battery life" last month. This month we've been paid to post in various places on the web that you don't need apps when you've got the full web, and that Netflix, Hulu and Kindle are simply not part of the web anymore. As a preview, next month we'll be posting that Galaxy Tab 10.1 sales are "great if you exclude the iPad;" apparently Samsung was impressed with our "PlayBook sales are great if you exclude the iPad" campaign from May, and wanted to copy it. Of course Samsung copying something is nothing new, a fact that we will be posting in September as part of that month's campaign. So it's good times here at paidposters.net.

FYI, Tonis, we really appreciated your help on the "Apple is paying people to post bad things about RIM" campaign, but you know we only agreed to pay you for April, so what you're doing now is a freebie.
    07-06-11 06:23 PM
    I would like to see a screen shot of your usage to be able to achieve 20 hours from your Sensation. Because I was unable to get even 14 hours on my Atrix. While using it. In the same manner as I do my Torch. Which is to say, I am constantly on that thing.
    So I am absolutely certain that I could get 20 hours on my Atrix while on WiFi if it sat on my coffee table on weekends. But absolutely never did I get past 14 hours while on the network on weekdays.
    And I'm a consumer. And I greatly value battery life. So it is safe to say that at least one consumer values battery life.
    (I have a sneaky suspicion that your enormous generalisation is not accurate.)
    I very much want to see a device getting 20h battery life!! Seeing at in 20h. I will have spent 3-4h on the phone, when I look at the specs on these devices. I've used half to 3/4's of their expected battery life, and the remaining time on standby would leave a battery at 1/8th power or less from published specs.

07-06-11 06:51 PM
    i'll wait the 20 hours out and post a screenshot, but the sensations battery life is pretty well documented by users, even on this site http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...-owned-624565/
    07-06-11 07:29 PM
    oops damn, wrong button on the previous post. but anyway the sensation looks to get great life but you probably would still run it into the ground just like the atrix. I want to see the like you get out of a 9900

no it shouldnt randomly slow down really like that. I mean it might occasionally but not nothing that a couple seconds for its issue to pass or a reset wouldnt fix. You had something going on that wasnt right. I forget did you wipe and start fresh with it?
    Yup. First time I just cleared every piece of history.
    Then I wiped it and started fresh. Didn't help.

I am VERY curious about what will happen with the 9900 too. Although I'll probably go for the Torch 2 first.

I'll let you know.
    07-06-11 08:03 PM
    blackberry claims their future lies in QNX, these handsets will allegedly be "up-to-date" with current mobile technology and be considered "high end" devices.
    Yes and I have NOT read where RIM has said OS7 devices will not be made indefinitely. I mean once the work is done, then it's done. They can use QNX in the USA and still push OS7 devices worldwide as long as they are selling.

It's not like BIS will cease to support legacy devices once it supports QNX phones.
    07-06-11 08:52 PM
    I would like to see a screen shot of your usage to be able to achieve 20 hours from your Sensation. Because I was unable to get even 14 hours on my Atrix. While using it. In the same manner as I do my Torch. Which is to say, I am constantly on that thing.
    So I am absolutely certain that I could get 20 hours on my Atrix while on WiFi if it sat on my coffee table on weekends. But absolutely never did I get past 14 hours while on the network on weekdays.
    And I'm a consumer. And I greatly value battery life. So it is safe to say that at least one consumer values battery life.
    (I have a sneaky suspicion that your enormous generalisation is not accurate.)
    here's a shot after 12 hours left, it'd probably make it to 20, but i have to plug it in because i'm going to sleep, not, not charging it just to prove this point, over 12 hours here and still quite a bit of battery left, normal usage, except i didn't get around to playing any games on it today
    07-07-11 05:42 AM
    here's a shot after 12 hours left, it'd probably make it to 20, but i have to plug it in because i'm going to sleep, not, not charging it just to prove this point, over 12 hours here and still quite a bit of battery left, normal usage, except i didn't get around to playing any games on it today
    What's Awake and what's Screen on?

07-07-11 05:56 AM
  11. T
    ... i didn't get around to playing any games on it today
    Comeon, Katie. I thought working at Google was all fun and games. Or are pr firm subcontractors hidden away in some boiler room?
    07-07-11 06:22 AM
    Comeon, Katie. I thought working at Google was all fun and games. Or are pr firm subcontractors hidden away in some boiler room?
    This amounts to all you post now, everyday you find people who have anything good to say about another platform, then accuse them of being paid spies... Only thing is, its not funny after the 500th time

07-07-11 07:19 AM
    Yes and I have NOT read where RIM has said OS7 devices will not be made indefinitely. I mean once the work is done, then it's done. They can use QNX in the USA and still push OS7 devices worldwide as long as they are selling.

It's not like BIS will cease to support legacy devices once it supports QNX phones.
    Actually, as I understand it, that's the whole purpose behind the Highlander concept: 'there can be only one,' where the objective is to have all handhelds and tablets on the same OS at some point. Not sure when that is, but I'm fairly certain it's going to be longer than the 6 months or so that everybody seems to think is the life expectancy of OS7. It's part of the reason for the delay in delivering OS7 devices, to make as many components reusable with QNX. With all the time they're spending developing the new OS7 devices, I'd find it very hard to believe they're planning on retiring them as soon as QNX in handhelds is ready for prime time. I'd expect OS7 to be around for at least a couple of years. But part of RIM's difficulties with 3rd party developers is the fragmentation of BBOS as it is, and that will become even more of an issue with QNX. So BBOS is most likely will be going away, but certainly not before RIM has their whole range of phones running on QNX, which isn't likely to happen in less than one year from the introduction of the first one.
    07-07-11 07:33 AM
    What was your "normal usage"
    You have a crap load of dead time there it looks
    How much talk time in that 12h?

Kind of disappointed you lacked the conviction in statement to not leave it unplugged over night, but that's beside the point, at 12h you look to have put maybe 4h of use on the device.

07-07-11 08:50 AM

Kind of disappointed you lacked the conviction in statement to not leave it unplugged over night, but that's beside the point, at 12h you look to have put maybe 4h of use on the device.

I would like to know what's the difference between "awake" and "screen on"

07-07-11 09:03 AM

Here's what I don't get about the battery debates..
    The reason the Android devices have such poor battery life is becuase of the 4g LTE, different processors, and overall much more powerful device. Companies like Motorola, HTC, Samsung have all been struggling with battery life.

Why do people think that when Blackberry comes out with this technology its going to be any better? Throw a high res screen and 4g LTE on a device and what's going to happen?

If anything, I predict the Android devices having better battery life than BB because of the HUGE head start it has already.

just my two cents
    07-07-11 09:14 AM
    The reason the Android devices have such poor battery life is becuase of the 4g LTE, different processors, and overall much more powerful device. Companies like Motorola, HTC, Samsung have all been struggling with battery life.

Why do people think that when Blackberry comes out with this technology its going to be any better? Throw a high res screen and 4g LTE on a device and what's going to happen?

If anything, I predict the Android devices having better battery life than BB because of the HUGE head start it has already.

just my two cents
    Good point but for someone to claim that they are getting x amount of life but yet they don't show what was asked for? If they are really getting that kind of life then they should've produced what was asked for.

I'm not so sure a bb will do any better with those specs either.
    07-07-11 09:31 AM
    Good point but for someone to claim that they are getting x amount of life but yet they don't show what was asked for? If they are really getting that kind of life then they should've produced what was asked for.

I'm not so sure a bb will do any better with those specs either.
    I wasn't talking about this specific example, I was speaking more in broader strokes.
    07-07-11 09:34 AM

just my two cents
    I don't disagree, the THING is people claiming " I have phone X with 4G and get great battery life why doesn't RIM make 4G phones"
    Or my Android phone gets great battery life!

To some battery life doesn't have to matter, so they CAN have all the bells and whistles but for some having a mobile phone is their lively hood, and needing 18h of phone life with REAL usage meaning actually making phone calls, shouldn't be something impossible to find.

There are trade offs.
    And I very much DON'T agree with thinking RIM won't get good batterylife out of the OS7 devices.
    RIM has the advantage to optimize their OS for the hardware, Android manufacturers don't.

I don't fault a media device for not having battery life, I fault those who think that their phones are as good as a blackberry for battery life

07-07-11 09:39 AM

just my two cents
    Except that I requested the screenshot to compare to my Atrix, not my BB.
    I had a device that supposedly had great battery life and I barely got 13/14 hours out of it.
    My challenge was what battery life was katiepea getting and I requested a screenshot of usage to see usage in that 20 hour period.
    07-07-11 09:51 AM

just my two cents
    You might be right. But when they were all more evenly spec'd for processor and resolution, back in the days of the first "Droid"-the 9700-the mytouch 3g-and the 3gs, the 9700 still killed the competition for battery life. The "droid" and 3gs did have bigger screens but no higher res. Anyway, we'll see how the new ones do. CX said the 9900 has the same life as the 9700 and that is with a 1200 mah battery I believe. That is with a smaller screen but a ppi only matched by the iphone 4 and a 1.2 ghz proc.

07-07-11 09:53 AM
    All I know is the example used by katiepea shows very very little "screen on" time in those 12 hours so it throws out the window the argument "android is more powerfull so you get more done"

I would say my wife uses her Pearl 3G like that (very light use) and she easily gets 3 days on one charge, she even got close to 5 days out of her last charge. (Away for a long weekend with the kids)

07-07-11 09:54 AM
    By the way, for what it's worth...I just drained my Torch completely after several marathon BBM sessions.
    07-07-11 09:54 AM
    By the way, for what it's worth...I just drained my Torch completely after several marathon BBM sessions.
    I love how fast we can be charged back up with the Torch

I can kill it to RED battery warning as I get home around 8pm, throw it on the wall charger, have a shower, and get changed, grab it and out the door at 9pm and keep going till after midnight.

Used to be better before it went for a swim

07-07-11 10:07 AM
    I love how fast we can be charged back up with the Torch

I can kill it to RED battery warning as I get home around 8pm, throw it on the wall charger, have a shower, and get changed, grab it and out the door at 9pm and keep going till after midnight.

Used to be better before it went for a swim

Out of curiosity, can you make and receive calls on Torch without sliding the keyboard open?

07-07-11 10:11 AM
265 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD