07-11-11 05:01 PM
265 ... 45678 ...
tools
    because, as stated, QNX handsets are going to have expensive hardware putting them at the same pricepoint as high end android devices and iphone models.
    That's an assumption, nobody knows until they get announced. Judging by the upcoming OS7 devices there seems to be both high end and low end, I doubt Rim will change that approach. But we don't know, right now we can only speculate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 07:12 AM
    That's an assumption, nobody knows until they get announced. Judging by the upcoming OS7 devices there seems to be both high end and low end, I doubt Rim will change that approach. But we don't know, right now we can only speculate.

Rim has stated they will be dual core handsets and that the upcoming os7 phones won't get qnx because it will require much more for hardware to run

07-06-11 07:14 AM
    Rim has stated they will be dual core handsets and that the upcoming os7 phones won't get qnx because it will require much more for hardware to run

I'm still not sure we can believe the 2 dummies in charge about this.
    07-06-11 07:27 AM

Yeah but by the time Rim does that dual core will be a lot cheaper don't you think?

07-06-11 07:35 AM
    I think it was N4BB that recently posted a rumor that the first QNX handsets would now have 1.2 GHZ processors due to bad battery on dual core.

07-06-11 07:37 AM
    I think it was N4BB that recently posted a rumor that the first QNX handsets would now have 1.2 GHZ processors due to bad battery on dual core.

My laptop is dual core, I fail to see the need for dual core in a phone.

07-06-11 07:38 AM

Hardware pricing FALLS continuously, I paid $1100 for a Pentium 4, 1.8Ghz Engineering sample many moons ago, today an Entire PC much much faster can be had for half the price. my first 21" Monitor cost $3000,

The India, and other emerging markets might not be buying the first batch of QNX headsets, but as production increases they WILL be sold into those markets just as OS6 devices are now, and OS7 devices will be. hardware pricing falls all the time.
    07-06-11 07:44 AM

proper flash support is going to really require dual core, multitasking also would improve greatly. QNX relies on both of those

and i find the battery debate interesting since most of the dual core phones out right now really get pretty great battery life.
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-06-11 at 07:46 AM.
    07-06-11 07:44 AM

Oh I certainly DO NOT fail to see the need for dual core!,

When one has the ability to talk and surf at once, and as devices can start doing multitasking like the Playbook, having dual core is very much an asset. I want to be working on my phone bouncing between a powerpoint presentation I am going to be giving, and an excel file with addition notes and data, and maybe have a video I'll be referencing loaded, and still be able to answer calls or fire out a quick BBM without lag, dualcore will allow that a single core would be bogged down.
    07-06-11 07:46 AM
    proper flash support is going to really require dual core, multitasking also would improve greatly. QNX relies on both of those

and i find the battery debate interesting since most of the dual core phones out right now really get pretty great battery life.

What is the Size and weight of these dual core "pretty great battery life phones"

compare battery life to size of battery please
    07-06-11 07:48 AM
    Oh I certainly DO NOT fail to see the need for dual core!,

When one has the ability to talk and surf at once, and as devices can start doing multitasking like the Playbook, having dual core is very much an asset. I want to be working on my phone bouncing between a powerpoint presentation I am going to be giving, and an excel file with addition notes and data, and maybe have a video I'll be referencing loaded, and still be able to answer calls or fire out a quick BBM without lag, dualcore will allow that a single core would be bogged down.
    Can a faster processor not do that? Does it really need dual core? I send emails and bbms while on the phone just fine now with my 9700, even browsing is fast enough.

07-06-11 07:53 AM
    Can a faster processor not do that? Does it really need dual core? I send emails and bbms while on the phone just fine now with my 9700, even browsing is fast enough.

I can bog my Torch down to a crawl currently while on the phone and just typing (60-150 wpm depending on use of custom autotext )

it is a matter of addressing processor actions, look at the processor like a road, you can keep increasing the speed limit to get cars through it, but you can get considerably more cars though by opening up a second lane.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-06-11 07:57 AM
    What is the Size and weight of these dual core "pretty great battery life phones"

compare battery life to size of battery please
    i think all have an appopriate sized battery and they all seem to easily last a full day on a charge for most reviews
    atrix
    evo 3D
    Sensation
    galaxy s II
    07-06-11 08:02 AM
    i think all have an appopriate sized battery and they all seem to easily last a full day on a charge for most reviews
    atrix
    evo 3D
    Sensation
    galaxy s II
    Atrix, seriously? Bad choice of example.

07-06-11 08:13 AM
    Atrix, seriously? Bad choice of example.

why is it a bad example? it gets great battery against the competetion, better than the torch it would appear even.
    07-06-11 08:18 AM
    atrix 1900 mAh.
    evo 3D 1800 mAh
    Sensation 1520mAh
    galaxy s II1500mAh
    in comparison

Torch - 1270 mAh
    Style - 1150mAh
    Bold - 1550mAh

So Battery life very much is Better on blackberry's that on the Dual Core phones given the drastic size differences.
    07-06-11 08:19 AM
    in comparison

Torch - 1270 mAh
    Style - 1150mAh
    Bold - 1550mAh

So Battery life very much is Better on blackberry's that on the Dual Core phones given the drastic size differences.
    like i said, appropriate battery. the results i looked at lead me to believe that the dual core phones dont suck down the power any faster than the single core phones. You give them bigger batteries and they last longer on a charge. Its not like you are giving them bigger batteries and they are lasting just the same or less than other singler core devices. They are getting considerably better results

generally blackberries are going to win this with ease. but the torch certainly has an undersized battery which can be seen in the same comparision. It also harder to compare since the hardware is greatly different with the current BBs. Have to see how the new BBs do with their 12xxmAh batteries
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-06-11 at 08:32 AM.
    07-06-11 08:28 AM
    like i said, appropriate battery. the results i looked at lead me to believe that the dual core phones dont suck down the power any faster than the single core phones. You give them bigger batteries and they last longer on a charge. Its not like you are giving them bigger batteries and they are lasting just the same or less than other singler core devices. They are getting considerably better results

generally blackberries are going to win this with ease. but the torch certainly has an undersized battery which can be seen in the same comparision. It also harder to compare since the hardware is greatly different with the current BBs. Have to see how the new BBs do with their 12xxmAh batteries

I very much am eager to see how the next crop of Blackberry's last with the 12xxmAh batteries.

AND I really hope we see some extended batteries for them, I don't mind a 200g + device if it is going to last me 2-3 days on a charge.
    though really I do want to keep the device under 200g with case.
    07-06-11 08:41 AM
    I very much am eager to see how the next crop of Blackberry's last with the 12xxmAh batteries.

AND I really hope we see some extended batteries for them, I don't mind a 200g + device if it is going to last me 2-3 days on a charge.
    though really I do want to keep the device under 200g with case.
    I hope the hongkong aftermarket battery manufacturers are ahead of the game! $12 and free shipping for 2500 mAh and 3000 mAh cells are the best! Sure can't beat that price. Mine is lasting 2-3 days.

07-06-11 08:43 AM
    Dual cores get through the day just fine, with the exception of the g2x, I have a sensation and get 20 hours from it. Besides that battery life doesn't seem to be a sticking point with consumers AMD BlackBerry has always made it a priority so I say bring on blackberry dual cores. RIM can't afford to release phones that aren't spec wise up to par with the market ay this point and charge the same for them

07-06-11 04:14 PM
    I would like to see a screen shot of your usage to be able to achieve 20 hours from your Sensation. Because I was unable to get even 14 hours on my Atrix. While using it. In the same manner as I do my Torch. Which is to say, I am constantly on that thing.
    So I am absolutely certain that I could get 20 hours on my Atrix while on WiFi if it sat on my coffee table on weekends. But absolutely never did I get past 14 hours while on the network on weekdays.
    And I'm a consumer. And I greatly value battery life. So it is safe to say that at least one consumer values battery life.
    (I have a sneaky suspicion that your enormous generalisation is not accurate.)
    07-06-11 04:24 PM
  22. T
    That 20 hours is pr-speak. It's kind of like saying "unlimited data" when you mean 5gb. These paid posters will soon be saying their droids and iPhones get "unlimited battery life."

07-06-11 04:28 PM
    Dual cores get through the day just fine, with the exception of the g2x, I have a sensation and get 20 hours from it. Besides that battery life doesn't seem to be a sticking point with consumers AMD BlackBerry has always made it a priority so I say bring on blackberry dual cores. RIM can't afford to release phones that aren't spec wise up to par with the market ay this point and charge the same for them

If Rim bring's out under powered phone's & crappy software they will have lost the American market. The top management at Rim lost focus & it has cost Rim dearly.

07-06-11 04:37 PM
    One user on here was adamant that at the 17 hour mark on her Vibrant she still had 70% left. She provided a screenshot but I have a vibrant sitting on my desk and there is no way you could get that kind of battery life out of it...unless it was not being used.
    07-06-11 04:38 PM
    I would like to see a screen shot of your usage to be able to achieve 20 hours from your Sensation. Because I was unable to get even 14 hours on my Atrix. While using it. In the same manner as I do my Torch. Which is to say, I am constantly on that thing.
    So I am absolutely certain that I could get 20 hours on my Atrix while on WiFi if it sat on my coffee table on weekends. But absolutely never did I get past 14 hours while on the network on weekdays.
    And I'm a consumer. And I greatly value battery life. So it is safe to say that at least one consumer values battery life.
    (I have a sneaky suspicion that your enormous generalisation is not accurate.)
    not a problem, i'll post one at the end of 20 hours
    07-06-11 04:59 PM
265 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD