07-11-11 05:01 PM
265 123 ...
tools
  1. T
    The only things RIM has done wrong so far are as follows:

1. Omitted the "Do Not Disturb" feature in newer os's and devices

2. Included some open source

Even with these small disappointments, I'm still not predicting the demise of RIM, calling for a "management shakeup," or using other corny buzzwords like "market share" in every post I make on crackberry.

***Posted securely without any android lag from my BlackBerry***

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-11 07:42 AM
    I respectfully disagree

What RIM has done wrong so far:

2008, Neglect to review hardware road maps with it's suppliers, and attempt to find a unified GSM/CDMA solution for their line up

2009, Fail to implement internal hardware upgrades to keep allow for the market shift to single device for data consumption such as music, movies, web content

With the previous failure to stream line the manufacturing process with a single chip vendor, they slowed down their OS development, and continued to product a very fragmented line up making it difficult to attract and retain app developers.

They also failed to "fix" the Storm line, a fantastic product idea, different from other touch screens, the OS needed to be far more touch refined, they learned this with OS6, but had they not made the mistake in 2008 of not seeing the climate shift in the mobile market they would have started to develop OS6 earlier and had better hardware under the hood to do so.

2010: RIM very much failed to address the touchscreen market, I don't care for the market much personally, but it is the fastest growing segment, and should not have had a full year being ignored

2011: 11 of their 12 eggs in the playbook basket!!!! I love the playbook, and QNX has great potential they would have been better pushing the 9900 out 3 months sooner and held the playbook off for 3 months, phones matter more than tablets, plus with a new line of positive reviewed phones, the playbook fanfare would have been greater

That is just my basic views of mis steps I actually could go much more in depth if I was at a computer and could pull out dates

07-03-11 08:08 AM
  3. T
    Yea, I guess I should have said "done wrong by me." Sorry about that.

There is one more thing I thought of but didn't include. RIM should not have caved in to the demands of the governments that wanted better access to spy on BlackBerry users. It should have simply not complied, been kicked out (or pulled out) of those markets, and let the people of those countries deal with their own sh*t governments by revolt or any other means necessary. Then, meaningful change could come about.
    07-03-11 08:25 AM
    India is too big a market for them to leave. Also, Indonesia. Between them they have about a quarter of the world's population.

Are they in China yet? That will be a shocker.
    07-03-11 08:33 AM
    Blackberry has made critical errors;

1) Failed to develop an app/developer friendly environment. Too many devices and OS fragmentation across them all... An OS not ideal for apps. They really fell asleep here - 5 years ago.

2) Got WAAAY behind on the hardware specs... particularly processor and memory. This is really hard to understand.

3) Got Waaay behind on multimedia and browser. Apple and Android WOW'd customers away from Blackberry with internet reach features.

4) Quality issues. Blackberry was long regarded as building tanks. Then they got plasticky and poorly executed new things; both on the hardware and feature side.

All that said; I still have a place in my heart for the Bold series of devices and the messaging power of Blackberry. They will bounce back, but you can't help but wonder if Apple and Android are just too far ahead to bounce back fully.
    07-03-11 10:43 AM
    I respectfully disagree

2008, Neglect to review hardware road maps with it's suppliers, and attempt to find a unified GSM/CDMA solution for their line up

2009, Fail to implement internal hardware upgrades to keep allow for the market shift to single device for data consumption such as music, movies, web content

With the previous failure to stream line the manufacturing process with a single chip vendor, they slowed down their OS development, and continued to product a very fragmented line up making it difficult to attract and retain app developers.

They also failed to "fix" the Storm line, a fantastic product idea, different from other touch screens, the OS needed to be far more touch refined, they learned this with OS6, but had they not made the mistake in 2008 of not seeing the climate shift in the mobile market they would have started to develop OS6 earlier and had better hardware under the hood to do so.

2010: RIM very much failed to address the touchscreen market, I don't care for the market much personally, but it is the fastest growing segment, and should not have had a full year being ignored

2011: 11 of their 12 eggs in the playbook basket!!!! I love the playbook, and QNX has great potential they would have been better pushing the 9900 out 3 months sooner and held the playbook off for 3 months, phones matter more than tablets, plus with a new line of positive reviewed phones, the playbook fanfare would have been greater

That is just my basic views of mis steps I actually could go much more in depth if I was at a computer and could pull out dates

Pretty damned accurate IMHO. Especially in regards to the Storm. Loved that thing, in spite of the issues.

While I do understand why it was not done, I would like to see the Playbook useable as an all in one device. I think this will eventually be possible, seeing Samsung and HTC upping the ante with increasingly larger Android devices.
    07-03-11 11:57 AM
    I respectfully disagree

One other thing Rim failed to address the up coming 4G LTE that most carriers are going to and they will miss that market. NO 4G BlackBerry's may be the thing that makes me leave BlackBerry when my carry turns on 4G LTE in my area in Nov 2011.
    Last edited by jerry12; 07-03-11 at 12:16 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-03-11 12:13 PM
    One other thing Rim failed to address the up coming 4G LTE that most carriers are going to and they will miss that market. NO 4G BlackBerry's may be the thing that makes me leave BlackBerry when my carry turns on 4G LTE in my area in Nov 2011.
    That also might be a deciding factor for me, since I will probably have LTE next year. I currently have an upgrade available. However, I am going to wait until next year to use it, since I want to see if I get LTE. I also prefer to wait for QNX and then compare it with other platforms.
    07-03-11 12:21 PM
    Hasn't hurt Apple! 4G chipsets still aren't efficient and are not ready for prime time. 2nd gen chipsets should be better.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-03-11 12:24 PM
    Hasn't hurt Apple! 4G chipsets still aren't efficient and are not ready for prime time. 2nd gen chipsets should be better.
    My understanding is the new iphone that they are working on will have 4G and Rim isn't even talking about 4G.
    07-03-11 12:27 PM
    My understanding is the new iphone that they are working on will have 4G and Rim isn't even talking about 4G.
    Jim and Mike's arrogance regarding 4g was easily predicted because it is identical to their arrogance in blowing off the both the touchscreen market and the high end phone market.

Jim and Mike claim 4g is a rip off and they wont waste their time on it because the coverage is poor and very few customers will be able to make use of it in the near future.

Those two havent dont their homework.

4g is spreading fast and even the little one-horse town i live in will have coverage before the end of the year; we are on the edge now and on good days its already here.

I think they have totally lost their foresight and vision... or have just been darn lucky up until now and their luck ran out.
    07-03-11 01:36 PM
    apple's next iphone will NOT have 4G...just HSPA+, the exact same thing that all the new berry's will be having.

at&t is touting their HSPA+ as 4G even though it really isn't. Don't be fooled by marketing. 4G LTE is only available in about 8% of the US right now. It is the infant stages of its birth, give it another 12-16months, then it will be worth it to have an LTE phone.....right now, almost pointless.
    07-03-11 01:52 PM
    apple's next iphone will NOT have 4G...just HSPA+, the exact same thing that all the new berry's will be having.

at&t is touting their HSPA+ as 4G even though it really isn't. Don't be fooled by marketing. 4G LTE is only available in about 8% of the US right now. It is the infant stages of its birth, give it another 12-16months, then it will be worth it to have an LTE phone.....right now, almost pointless.
    Even the first iterations of LTE will not be true 4G, per ITU standards. However, VZW does have the initial LTE in some markets, with more to come. AT&T will start rolling out LTE, rather than just HSPA+, in some markets also.

AT&T's LTE will be faster than their HSPA+. However, it will still not meet official 4G standards, per the ITU.
    07-03-11 01:57 PM

It's not pointless if you live in an area where LTE is available.
    Westchester County and down has LTE coverage in NY. That covers millions of people.
    Last edited by avt123; 07-03-11 at 02:48 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-03-11 02:45 PM
    This one is simple:They aren't going to produce a 4G LTE because the multi-mode chipsets they need are in development right now. They are not going to increase handset size to accommodate the extra chipset and resultant poor battery life. Those chips aren't due to be on the market until the latter part of Q4, so they cannot build with what doesn't exist yet. Apple is doing the same thing.

So, you have a choice, be patient, or make the jump and get a whole new set of complaints, that comes gratis.

Last edited by BergerKing; 07-03-11 at 03:33 PM.
    07-03-11 03:23 PM
    It's not pointless if you live in an area where LTE is available.
    Westchester County and down has LTE coverage in NY. That covers millions of people.
    And what percentage of them are going to necessarily buy a BlackBerry Smartphone? They aren't going to create another compromise handset for a few limited geographical regions. They make their own handsets, don't license out to a host of manufacturers who can glut the market with impressively spec'd handsets that often have many flaws. Mant folks have switched out because a 'sweet' device wasn't available from their preferred maker at upgrade time. A fair # of them have buyer's remorse because the grass was greener on the other side of the fence, but they'd rather choke on it than admit it tastes nasty.

Some folks consider escargots a delicacy. I find them a nuisance to be scraped from the bottom of my shoe.

07-03-11 03:54 PM
    But the customers dont even have an option. RIM made it for them, not giving the consumer a choice. Choice is good, i like having it. I choose to get the thunderbolt instead of the Incredible 2 since the thunderbolt has LTE. I am thrilled to have made that choice because the LTE coverage is great here in indy now.
    07-03-11 04:09 PM

it want be point less if i have it in Nov 2011.
    07-03-11 04:34 PM
    Correct, they don't have an option with BlackBerry or Apple. And you like to tinker with yours, but that's you. Again, Android provided the software, the plethora of handset makers are making the devices. Some would call it devide and conquer, but you can spread yourself too thin. I've talked personally to others who've had the Thunderbolt and hated it. I know people that love the EVO, as long as they leave the 4G off while mobile. Same for the Epic, Desire, Incredible, etc.

Personally, I'll be happy to get 4G handsets when they get the hardware set up the way it should be. I have plenty of access to 4G markets, but I can do without carrying a brick in my pocket.

07-03-11 04:35 PM
    it want be point less if i have it in Nov 2011.
    Does anyone else read this post and go huh?

diegonei likes this.
    07-03-11 04:37 PM
    Blackberry has made critical errors;

1) Failed to develop an app/developer friendly environment. Too many devices and OS fragmentation across them all... An OS not ideal for apps. They really fell asleep here - 5 years ago.

2) Got WAAAY behind on the hardware specs... particularly processor and memory. This is really hard to understand.

3) Got Waaay behind on multimedia and browser. Apple and Android WOW'd customers away from Blackberry with internet reach features.

4) Quality issues. Blackberry was long regarded as building tanks. Then they got plasticky and poorly executed new things; both on the hardware and feature side.

All that said; I still have a place in my heart for the Bold series of devices and the messaging power of Blackberry. They will bounce back, but you can't help but wonder if Apple and Android are just too far ahead to bounce back fully.

Here is another one for me to disagree with
    well maybe not disagree, but nit pick due to over exaggerations

1)
    Apple iPhone Launched on June 29, 2007. so 4 years and 4 days ago! so RIM far from fell asleep 5 years ago from developing an app friendly market, so MAYBE 3.5 years ago RIM didn't realize a redesign of their OS philosophy was in order, but 5 years ago, I don't think so, The computer market was shifting from Programs on the desktop back to more server controlled terminal access, and network deployment technologies, AJAX Ruby on Rails, .NET development was blossoming all over the net making people think all they needed was a browser. Apple REALLY changed things, and then Google followed suit, it was when Android hit the market that RIM REALLY then FAILED to acknowledge their mistake in not revamping their OS. so RIM really has only been a failure since Novemberish 2008. being a little over 2.5 years, NOT 5 years.

2)
    RIM falling behind in hardware was very much they are too Canadian, they kept giving Marvell chances to get better chips out IMO, because of sharing consistency between GSM, and CDMA flavours, they couldn't take off with Qualcomm until marvell has something comparable, they really in 2008 should have gone 100% Qualcomm, and then unified chipsets reducing the number of OS's and streamlining their process, allowing them easier abilities to address the app issues and OS fragmentation, they folly for not seeing Apps were becoming a platform requirement

3)
    RIM's "multi Media" has been terrific, I have been able to watch movies, listen to music, and read books for many years. RIM's browser was a let down, they did take too long to find webkit and adopt it, or at least partner with someone to deliver a quality browser, it would never be as fast as the competition due to traveling through the NOC, but it is ONLY the Browser not "multi media" that RIM fell on.

4)
    Quality issues... RIM has the lowest Hardware faults as found by UK research. With the exception of the Storm line, RIM has had and continues to have excellent quality control, the devices don't last like those built 5 years ago, BUT the market does not want the devices built 5 years ago with hard large plastic shells, the market dictates slimmer lighter shiny devices, RIM has been SLLOOWWLLLY addressing that
    As for "feature quality" again apart from the browser I don't see what is being talked about.
    EnnEnn and diegonei like this.
    07-03-11 06:31 PM
    I'm doing a lot of disagreeing

"4G LTE" is purely a US endeavor currently, RIM really has till Q3 2012 before they need to address LTE, their device line up is known for their shape and size, and battery life, battery life has even suffered in the newest Blackberry's with LTE it the devices would need to be bigger, and heavier, and they wouldn't be blackberry!

Apples Next phone wont be 4G, and I am sure not every top Android phone will be either, 4G is marketing right now, and is VERY US based, RIM MUST continue to target the global market while addressing global issues in conjunction with US issues, US issues being very much the App markets, and content consumption requiring more powerful devices, global issues, needing to have devices that can replace computers as more consumers are using their mobile phones over purchasing computers,

4G LTE is should not be a focus until there is an abundance of chipsets on the market that are well tested AND integrated with 2G/3G on a single chip
    07-03-11 06:36 PM
    Jim and Mike's arrogance regarding 4g was easily predicted because it is identical to their arrogance in blowing off the both the touchscreen market and the high end phone market.

Jim and Mike claim 4g is a rip off and they wont waste their time on it because the coverage is poor and very few customers will be able to make use of it in the near future.

Those two havent dont their homework.

4g is spreading fast and even the little one-horse town i live in will have coverage before the end of the year; we are on the edge now and on good days its already here.

I think they have totally lost their foresight and vision... or have just been darn lucky up until now and their luck ran out.
    You haven't done your home work,

When Will 4G coverage have 500,000,000 user coverage?
    I would wager you are looking into the end of 2013 for that, so RIM very much is right when 3G coverage and 2G exclusive coverage are both still much larger markets.
    andyahs likes this.
    07-03-11 06:40 PM
    But the customers dont even have an option. RIM made it for them, not giving the consumer a choice. Choice is good, i like having it. I choose to get the thunderbolt instead of the Incredible 2 since the thunderbolt has LTE. I am thrilled to have made that choice because the LTE coverage is great here in indy now.
    Customers DO! have an option, they can buy a NON blackberry device if 4G is that important, RIM CAN NOT! be All things to all people, that is how a company fails,
    andyahs likes this.
    07-03-11 06:42 PM
    deRusett, please go apply at RIM
    diegonei likes this.
    07-03-11 07:12 PM
265 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD