Unusual one here...

I have a Blackberry Storm from Vodafone Ireland. I'm now living in Canada, and using it on a Rogers contract with a Rogers SIM. My Vodafone account is still live as well. That's all fine, and email & data work with both SIMs.

However, the email setup doesn't show any accounts when I'm using the Rogers SIM. But email still delivers to the phone, the two email accounts I use both show up with their mailboxes, etc. If I set up the email accounts again with the Rogers SIM installed, I start getting every email twice, so I don't do that.

All well and good, until today, when I need to change the password on one of my email accounts. I don't have the Vodafone SIM with me, Vodafone won't let me use a web-based configurator for my blackberry account, and I'm kind of stuck.

Any suggestions? Is this a design thing with Blackberries, or has something strange happened with mine?
    09-24-09 12:24 PM
    Just an update in case anyone else has this issue later.

Email accounts are apparently linked to a SIM card, however your phone (presumably via its PIN) will still pick them up when connected with a different SIM. So, I still receive emails to accounts set up with my Vodafone SIM when I've a Rogers SIM in the phone. There is a slight (10 minute?) delivery delay though.

If you set up the same email accounts on the second SIM, you'll start receiving the emails twice.

So, to receive the emails quickly on a different SIM, just delete the account(s) in the email setup wizard before removing the old SIM, then create them again with the new SIM in. The phone will retain your mailboxes, etc, but you may need to update default calendar/email settings if you've multiple accounts.
    11-24-09 11:25 PM
    Just to follow up, this isn't completely true. Email is linked to your PIN, when using BES you should be able to freely switch between different SIM cards from any carrier with a BES plan. That is unless your administrator as some sort of block on using other SIM cards.

If you are using BIS which it sounds like the user is using, BIS email is linked to the carrier. If you set your BIS email with Rogers, you can switch to any other Rogers SIM with a BIS plan and it will work just the same. If you switch to a SIM from another carrier your email may come in delayed as you experienced or not at all. It is probably best to go to BlackBerry Internet Service or BlackBerry Internet Service or so on and update to carrier's SIM you are using.

This isn't to be confused with roaming on another network. If you are roaming in Ireland with your Roger's SIM, sick with the the Rogers established BIS account.
    11-25-09 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD