I love my BlackBerry. I keep it with me constantly. And I love Gmail. I have one plain old account and a couple of Apps accounts.

I have always used the manual IMAP setup for my Gmail accounts. For those unfamiliar, you input bogus credentials in the Email Setup in order to get to the old "Advanced Settings" screen. There, you can point the account at the imap.gmail.com server and enjoy all kinds of cool IMAP features. There are a few lacking, but I learned to deal.

The best part of that setup - at least for a digital packrat like me - is that any messages that I delete on my BlackBerry are archived on Gmail. Not deleted. This is key for me because I often refer back to ancient messages.

The not-so-best part of that setup is that I couldn't take advantage of the new BIS Sync features, namely Calendar and Contacts syncing.

So, I set about moving my main Gmail Apps account over to the standard BlackBerry setup. I opened up Email Setup, put in the correct credentials, and got the plain vanilla account creation.

I spent a ton of time cleaning out my contacts, and whittled it down to 890 (from 1100). I am very happy to have calendar syncing, because I use myCallLogs to track all my calls for billing purposes, and now I can access those records through Gmail - handy when generating invoices.

At first blush, all seemed to be going well. I was deleting messages from the Apps account like I always had. And I assumed they were being archived and not put into Gmail's Trash folder.

Until this morning.

That's when I noticed I had a nice set of messages sitting in Trash, waiting for their 30 days to expire before they were gone forever.

NOT my ideal setup. At all.

So I tinkered with settings. Tried all manner of different combinations to try and get this type of account setup to work like the manual IMAP account.

No dice.

If I go into Gmail's Mail Settings and hide the Trash folder from IMAP, then every message I delete on my BlackBerry gets re-delivered again as soon as I get an actual NEW message. Yuck.

But if I show the Trash folder in IMAP, then all the messages I delete on the BlackBerry earn the Trash label and get sent to digital death row.

For now, the only solution I've come up with is to re-install the Enhanced Gmail Plug-in (again, yuck). With that installed, I can choose to Archive conversations (or delete those messages that I truly CAN live without).

Of course, the problem I'm having now is that the Enhanced Gmail folder is nice and clean, but my main Messages folder (which I access with the M shortcut from the homescreen, a favorite of mine) is cluttered with the messages I've archived. For whatever reason, those are still appearing in that folder.

I've read the complete spectrum of mixed reviews on whether Gmail IMAP actually supports 2-way sync on the BlackBerry. Many have reported that the messages removed from Gmail's inbox via web interface will EVENTUALLY be removed from the BlackBerry messages folder.

So I wait patiently to see whether that will happen. And I will also continue hoping that RIM and Google find some clever way to change the way the Trash label is applied to messages deleted on the handheld. Or at least Google could teach Gmail to follow its own settings so that messages are ARCHIVED and not DELETED "when a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder".

I admit this post is rather reflective, but my searches turned up a gaggle of threads that addressed different aspects of these issues, and I wanted to consolidate things a bit in the hopes that others who are similarly frustrated could confirm they are not alone.
    10-31-11 04:36 PM
    Postscript (hopefully the first of a few):

Seems the messages I am archiving in the Gmail folder are also being removed from the main Messages too. We're getting there. Just need the 110 or so that I archived on the web interface to go away too.
    10-31-11 06:23 PM
    My patience wore thin.

I created a new Apps account, which I am using solely for synchronizing contacts and calendar (data is shared with main Apps account).

Reverted my main Apps account to the manual IMAP setup. Problem solved.
    11-01-11 04:28 PM
    Hi wu-wei

I created a new Apps account, which I am using solely for synchronizing contacts and calendar
    For the same reason I use Yahoo to sync Address Book - not Google. The latter mangles addresses when syncing to the BlackBerry trying to stuff it all into one field. Yahoo keeps everything neatly in sync.

FWIW I delete the Yahoo service books only keeping the Yahoo Sync one.

-- Robert.
    11-02-11 04:26 AM
    Me too. I found that the Google sync with my address book mangled my phone address book.

I gave up and went back to just using Outlook.
    11-02-11 06:08 AM
    Me too. I found that the Google sync with my address book mangled my phone address book.

I gave up and went back to just using Outlook.
    Same here but I'm sticking with it.
    Hoping they eventually sort it out and/or I decide to go to leave BB.
    I did send them the issue through the feedback app but of course no reply.
    Good Luck
    11-03-11 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD