04-15-11 03:36 PM
70 123
tools
    There's no such thing as free apps unless they come directly from the manufacturer, you're either data mined or served ads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Free meaning no money. You think no paid apps are data mining as well?

Lets not get into technicalities. Free= money stays in your pocket. I'm not talking about personal info value.

And RIM apps aren't free. They require a BB to use. You have to play for a BB, don't you?
    04-12-11 01:24 PM

Lets not get into technicalities. Free= money stays in your pocket. I'm not talking about personal info value.

And RIM apps aren't free. They require a BB to use. You have to play for a BB, don't you?

Picture this, you download a free game, you go in your holiday to an exotic country, you sit by the pool and enjoy a nice drink and play your free game, the game serves you an ad or two or more that uses your roaming data to download to your phone.

Result? Money out of your pocket.

04-12-11 01:32 PM
    I I play btickbreaker I know it's completely free unless

04-12-11 01:33 PM

Maybe free isn't the right word: maybe the correct phrase is at no incremental cost to the user.

04-12-11 01:34 PM
    Picture this, you download a free game, you go in your holiday to an exotic country, you sit by the pool and enjoy a nice drink and play your free game, the game serves you an ad or two or more that uses your roaming data to download to your phone.

Then buy the ad free version...

04-12-11 01:34 PM
    Then buy the ad free version...

I do, that's my point, I'd rather pay and get adds free apps

04-12-11 01:36 PM
    You think the ads inside apps are annoying. Read this.

A hot new feature for gadgets: built-in ads? - CNN.com

And if Amazon is doing this with the Kindle, where does advertising in mobile devices go from here?
    04-12-11 01:36 PM
    this is where apps like adfree come in handy
    04-12-11 01:43 PM

What money is out of my pocket? Please tell me. The data charge? Turn of data. If the game requires online play, you are screwed anyways. Also, I'm sure this exotic country that has cell service, also has a WiFi connection.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-12-11 at 01:50 PM.
    04-12-11 01:44 PM
    Maybe free isn't the right word: maybe the correct phrase is at no incremental cost to the user.

I am talking about not shelling out money. When I click "download" I am not losing money. In my bok, that is free in terms of cash. You do however give up some personal info, but I am still not losing money.

this is where apps like adfree come in handy
    And we have a winner.
    04-12-11 01:46 PM
    What money is out of my pocket? Please tell me. The data charge?
    Yes, if I travel from uk to usa I pay 4 for 1mb, I assume its the same the other way around.

04-12-11 01:49 PM
    Yes, if I travel from uk to usa I pay 4 for 1mb, I assume its the same the other way around.

Turn off data while you play the game. Use WiFi. Download an add blocker. There are so many solutions to your problem that the problem does not exist. There WILL be add blocker for QNX. If Android and iOS have them, QNX will as well. You can also block the games permission to use the internet. Problem solved.
    04-12-11 01:54 PM
    Turn off data while you play the game. Use WiFi. Download an add blocker. There are so many solutions to your problem that the problem does not exist. There WILL be add blocker for QNX. If Android and iOS have them, QNX will as well. You can also block the games permission to use the internet. Problem solved.
    Is the add blocker free? Does that serve you ads too or is it data mining u? Lol

It's the principle of things, you give something free, don't ask for something in return or it's not free anymore.

I would rather they put a donate button, and if the app is good I would donate.

04-12-11 02:11 PM
    Is the add blocker free? Does that serve you ads too or is it data mining u? Lol
    yes it is free and no it does not data mine. Once again, if it does, block the internet permissions. If the blocker is requiring internet access, you know something is wrong.

Why would it have ads? If it did, the ads within the app would be killed from the app itself...

It's the principle of things, you give something free, don't ask for something in return or it's not free anymore.

I would rather they put a donate button, and if the app is good I would donate.

I understand what you are saying. But for the most part, people not having to pay money for the app itself is good enough. It's been working for a while now.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-12-11 at 02:19 PM.
    04-12-11 02:16 PM
    Another NYer who sees what I see and hear everyday. Large companies who have been fixated with BES nearly since its inception are allowing that infrastructure to pass in favor of letting people buy their own devices and securing them on an Exchange Server. My firm moves this summer to Exchange.
    Well, they'll probably end up redirecting their BES costs to beefing up their ActiveSync/OWA environment when they see how much harder it gets slammed with all the AS devices hitting it and if they have very many devices to manage they'll probably end up buying some sort of management tools like Best and it won't save them any money in the long run. Also for us, there's a considerable price difference in hardware and service on the iPhone compared to the BBs, not to mention that much more area for your IT to learn and support. And with personal devices, you've now created a ton of additional work for your accounting dept. But at least the employees can play Angry Birds...
    04-12-11 02:47 PM
    yes it is free and no it does not data mine. Once again, if it does, block the internet permissions. If the blocker is requiring internet access, you know something is wrong.

Why would it have ads? If it did, the ads within the app would be killed from the app itself...
    Lol, I was joking.

[/QUOTE]I understand what you are saying. But for the most part, people not having to pay money for the app itself is good enough. It's been working for a while now.[/QUOTE]

People are starting to wise up to free apps after recent developments in the media.
    04-12-11 04:15 PM
    People are starting to wise up to free apps after recent developments in the media.
    Yea, we'll see how long that lasts...
    04-12-11 04:33 PM
    Can you explain this a bit? As in, what are they wising up to? And what were the recent media developments? I'm assuming you might be talking about apps that share your info with 3rd parties and advertisers, but wasn't sure. Also interested in what kind of media exposure you're talking about.

Thx.
    04-15-11 10:19 AM
    Can you explain this a bit? As in, what are they wising up to? And what were the recent media developments? I'm assuming you might be talking about apps that share your info with 3rd parties and advertisers, but wasn't sure. Also interested in what kind of media exposure you're talking about.

Thx.
    When the news about the 101 apps tested came out they were on tv, newspapers and radio over here, the whole thing got quite a bit of exposure. Recently, last week I think there was more about pandora free app. Just more came out about the skype app for android.

People are starting to delete these free apps, I did on my blackberry.

04-15-11 11:37 AM
    When the news about the 101 apps tested came out they were on tv, newspapers and radio over here, the whole thing got quite a bit of exposure. Recently, last week I think there was more about pandora free app. Just more came out about the skype app for android.
    The reference to all those apps were a result from scare tactic marketing from services (like Lookout) who are pushing their security products. Lookout went on a marketing frenzy demonstrating apps that had access to sensitive information and used that as a potential security threat, completely ignoring the reasons why those apps required the security permissions they utilized. They even went as far as to accuse the Evernote app as being shady. Most of those apps' developers also came out and publicly demonstrated why their apps used the permissions in question, and successfully defended them. Those that didn't were dead or abandoned projects, but none were found to do anything nefarious.

As for the Pandora issue. Just the very issue that they were subpoenaed to appear and explain their data mining practices placed a stigma on the app. What so many fail to realize is Pandora isn't under investigation for wrongdoing, but instead were asked to come forward and outline and explain the reasoning for their practices, and participating in an effort to regulate commercial data mining and sharing.

The worst I've seen so far (aside from the recent Skype app), were the apps removed from the Market because they contained root exploit code. But the code embedded was more 'proof of concept' than actual threats, since they never managed to actually root somebody's device without a focused effort on the user's part.

I'm not saying Android (or any platform for that matter) is not susceptible to an app's malfeasance, as IMHO anybody with any common sense could see otherwise, however lately been a rash of really poor journalism online and sensationalism always generates hits.

I had Skype on my Atrix and I deleted it. Now I'm afraid to use any of the banking apps I have there. Deleted them too.
    Pretty much left me with Google Maps, E!, CNN, Google Sky Map, Weatherbug....that kind of stuff.
    While diligence is always a good practice, don't let the screw up with Skype (okay, big screw up) scare you away from every app. I'd like to say "Be diligent but not paranoid", but I've gotta be honest and say that I've never installed a banking app on any wireless device, both BB and Android. So maybe I'm a bit paranoid myself.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-15-11 at 03:39 PM.
    04-15-11 03:36 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD