02-21-12 08:48 AM
50 12
tools
    I prefer to have a seperate application for BlackBerry users. iMessage users don't get personal message updates (including music), individual profile pictures, know each contact's location/time zone, the ability to broadcast messages to all of their iMessage contacts or have iMessage contact groups as far as I know.

I have an iPod touch 4th generation and I only have three iMessage contacts. All of my other friends either have BlackBerry or Android devices since I do, after all, work in a BlackBerry environment in the office.
    1.) What is a "personal message update"?
    2.) You can most certainly have individual profile pictures for your iContacts.
    3.) you can most certainly send group messages through iMessage.
    02-18-12 12:00 PM

"Happy Saturday!" is my personal message update. I could put anything in there, and all of my contacts would see it.

If I did not use a personal message, you would just see my avatar and name.
    Last edited by lak611; 02-18-12 at 12:09 PM.
    02-18-12 12:07 PM
    OK, two apps for one thing... messaging... just remember that John is in this app and Jane that app... most people in the SMS app, 25 and dropping in the other, if reports in this forum about losing all your BBM contacts over time are to be believed.
    Usages ...

On BB phone :
    1 Select contact
    2 menu/send/ -> Choose whatever is accurate (no PIN ? no BBM option)
    3. Write and send

On iphone (sorry, I may be wrong, but I'm not very experienced: my wife's one)
    1. Choose the app
    2. Type or select the contact
    3. Write and send
    02-18-12 12:29 PM
    2.) You can most certainly have individual profile pictures for your iContacts.
    3.) you can most certainly send group messages through iMessage.
    1. It's a status update, a bit like twitter ot facebook, you can insert links etc
    2. The contact picture is set by the contact, not by you and it can be changed and they do change often, same as the status updates
    3. BBM Group is not the same as sending group messages, this is what a BBM Group looks like, this is for me and my wife, chat, lists, photos and a shared calendar. You can comment on photos etc
    02-18-12 01:41 PM
    I would like to see BBM on PC. If I'm working on the PC, I'd rather not have to pick up the BlackBerry.
    Somebody mentioned that the new BlackBerry Bridge will have the ability to bridge to a PC. This will allow BBM on the PC.
    02-18-12 01:57 PM
    I'd like to see BBM for the PC. I don't have a BB, but it would be nice to reach out from my PC to friends/family that do have a BB.
    02-18-12 02:06 PM
    Somebody mentioned that the new BlackBerry Bridge will have the ability to bridge to a PC. This will allow BBM on the PC.
    You can already do that with a few apps, your Blackberry screen on a PC

Here's one:

http://m.crackberry.com/crackberry/main?page=3
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 02-18-12 at 02:12 PM.
    02-18-12 02:08 PM
    BBM is not really comparable with iMessage. iMessage is a subset of BBM (however, it competes with the most popular subset of BBM, i.e. messaging). BBM is better looked upon as a social network.

I think a PC/Mac version of BBM is a fantastic idea. RIM does not make computers, so they don't need to worry about how this affects sales of Macs/PCs. However, they should limit BBM solely to Blackberry/Playbooks in the cellphone/tablet front.

What this means is that suddenly a lot more users can access BBM. This strengthens BBM for existing users, because they are not hemorrhaging contacts, and it also exposes non BB users to BBM. If they start becoming reliant on communicating on BBM via their Mac/PC, they will undoubtedly want to communicate on the go too. BBM exclusivity on the Blackberry gives them a heavy incentive to go to the BB route when their next upgrade comes along.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-18-12 07:29 PM
    One feature Apple must update to make iMessage better is that all your id's get the messages on all devices. Currently if you don't send from your non-mobile number id's, you don't get messages outside of your iPhone. This is a serious limitation for me. They need to also make it a universal text messaging app in that you would be able to text to a non-iOS device from any of your devices as long as you have an iPhone number.

BBM would be a huge hit across platforms if RIM would extend it and make it available on non-BB devices.
    02-18-12 07:50 PM
    You can already do that with a few apps, your Blackberry screen on a PC

Here's one:

http://m.crackberry.com/crackberry/main?page=3
    Link does not work.
    02-18-12 07:57 PM
    Question on BBM.

One thing I've seen touted as iMessage's killer advantage is that I don't need to "segregate" iMessage users.

I message you, and if you have iMessage, we get the full iMessage functionality. If not, it's just an SMS text.

I don't need to use one app for iMessages, one for SMS, and remember "Oh, Joe uses an iPhone... use iMessage... Jane uses a Nexus, use SMS...".

Just open the app, send the message, and no matter what the user has (or changes to), the message goes best way possible... iMessage if the user has it, SMS if not.

Does BBM do that, or do I need to remember "Pete has blackberry and BBM, Tina has Nokia so SMS".
    You can add SMS contacts into your BBM list, which IMO makes it exactly the same thing. One app, one list.
    02-18-12 08:32 PM
    1. It's a status update, a bit like twitter ot facebook, you can insert links etc
    2. The contact picture is set by the contact, not by you and it can be changed and they do change often, same as the status updates
    3. BBM Group is not the same as sending group messages, this is what a BBM Group looks like, this is for me and my wife, chat, lists, photos and a shared calendar. You can comment on photos etc
    Gracias! Good to know!
    02-18-12 09:20 PM
    Link does not work.
    Search for "tiny controller"
    02-19-12 04:14 AM
    From what I've seen iMessage basically takes over for texting between idevices. Kinda cool but so what. With BBM I can send voice notes, pictures, messages, files, location, contacts, appointments. If I have a BBM group I can even share a few more things too. BBM is great, I find more and more to do with it everyday. iMessage is okay for what it does but is no competition for BBM. If RIM did have a desktop client I would use it, but since BBM uses a PIN I don't see it happening anytime soon. Once they figure out how to get it off of the PIN system and onto the BBID system it will be great and they will be able to do many things with it.
    02-19-12 06:50 AM
    That would be pretty awesome. In my opinion RIM is doing worse than Windows Phone 7. I just got a BlackBerry a few days ago, and I'm not that impressed. But yes this should happen, and not only for PC, for Mac as well (I'm a Mac user).
    02-19-12 07:23 AM
    Search for "tiny controller"
    Thanks. I found it, but $10 is too expensive.
    02-19-12 12:19 PM
    I like the BBM relies on pin so we don't have to give out phone numbers to everybody.
    If you feel that switching to different apps (BBM, SMS) is troublesome, try Whatsapp, which is cross-platform and contacts are automatically added.
    When you delete and block someone from BBM, that person is gone. Try blocking a person who has your mobile number. Good Luck.

There are 'bridge' apps that allows you to access your BB while on your computers and yes, the prices are a tat high. If RIM were to release free versions of such apps, it will definitely generate more interest.

iMessage is in no way superior to BBM, unless you don't mind giving out your contact number and will prefer universal accessibility across your iDevices.

All boils down to different needs, different wants
    Joel_Zimmerman likes this.
    02-20-12 08:37 AM
    Thanks. I found it, but $10 is too expensive.
    It's 4.99 not 10.00 and there's a free trial, for the price of two cups of coffee you can't tell me that's expensive.
    02-20-12 09:20 AM
    It's 4.99 not 10.00 and there's a free trial, for the price of two cups of coffee you can't tell me that's expensive.
    That's 4.99, which is around $8.

I do not think I will keep the 9700 much longer.
    02-20-12 11:05 AM
    That's 4.99, which is around $8.

I do not think I will keep the 9700 much longer.
    No it's not, if an app costs $4.99, in UK appworld it will be 4.99, majority are anyway.
    02-20-12 11:08 AM
    Question on BBM.

One thing I've seen touted as iMessage's killer advantage is that I don't need to "segregate" iMessage users.

I message you, and if you have iMessage, we get the full iMessage functionality. If not, it's just an SMS text.

I don't need to use one app for iMessages, one for SMS, and remember "Oh, Joe uses an iPhone... use iMessage... Jane uses a Nexus, use SMS...".

Just open the app, send the message, and no matter what the user has (or changes to), the message goes best way possible... iMessage if the user has it, SMS if not.

Does BBM do that, or do I need to remember "Pete has blackberry and BBM, Tina has Nokia so SMS".
    You can download whats app for free and use that.. Dont forget bbm is pretty much a free service if you have a data plan anywayz.. You also do not need to obtain phone numbers, just pins..So if you dont want someone having your number you give them your pin. once the pin is erased, no need to worry about annoying phone calls..
    02-20-12 11:13 AM
    There should be a BIS cloud service accessible by web, just like the old SideKick Desktop Interface, which was ahead of its time. I should be able to log in on any computer, see and edit calendar, tasks, email, and use BBM. It should be live synced, like the SideKick too. No BlueTooth or USB. That's how it should be done, instead of having the core functions fragmented over various cloud apps (i.e., EverNote for notes, Wunderlist, etc.). Then BB looks less like a "smartphone platform" and more like a full-fledged work/communication environment.
    02-20-12 01:40 PM
    Check it out. BBM for Desktop by Soti.
    soti.net/PCProBB/KeyFeatures.aspx (Pocket Controller Pro for BlackBerry Key Features)
    02-21-12 07:52 AM
    I think eventually RIM will have to start licencing BB10. Why? Because think about it, our cell phones are mini computers in our pocket. And since it's using QNX. It's integration with everything else would just benefit. I hope they don't go the Apple route where they're the sole providers of the OS. You can't really dominate like that. It won't work.

Apple is doing impressively against Android. But Android definitely has the upper hand. And once BB10 is successful, if it makes sense, I'm sure they will license it.

Since Android is open, device manufacturers are putting it on all sorts of things. Just look at CES, I think there was one company, I think ASUS or Acer, has a laptop with Android. And LG I think has a TV with Android on it.

It's only a matter of time where these OS's are going to be in everything.

So having BBM on the computer or other devices will most likely happen. But RIM's plan via Thorsten, they will be licensing BB10 if it makes sense after it is successful.

Which IMHO, is a great plan.
    But why would anyone license (pay for) BB10, when they can get Android for free? HP couldn't even give Palms OS away and it was highly praised at the time for being ahead of both iOS and Android.

Now there maybe other manufactures they will want different version of QNX to use as the OS for their Farm Tractor or Bird Feeder. But I don't expect to see a BB10 integrated refrigerator anytime soon...
    02-21-12 08:39 AM
    Link does not work.
    It's actually now the 5th or 6th page. The review of TinyController.
    02-21-12 08:48 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD