Here is a little background... Well I'm running the old school 4.3 OS and I want to update it, but I have a macbook and I don't want to load anything windows based on my computer. I have a super old/slow pc in the computer room, but it is nearly impossible to do anything on it.

The reason I am making this post is because I tried to download the new 5.0 BBM and now the whole icon is gone. I've gone under my applications and it says Blackberry Messenger is there, but it is no where to be found.

If anyone has the OTA link for 4.3 bbm I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me the link.
    07-19-09 11:02 AM
    DId you check to see of BBM 5.0 was compatible with 4.3?
    07-19-09 11:29 AM
    Amber, I think the you can install BBM via OTA if you have a link on 4.3. I know that with 4.5 you have to use Desktop Manager to re-add it if deleted or if you don't have it...
    07-19-09 11:33 AM
    This is from John Clark, the legendary BlackBerry guru...

Handheld OS 4.2 and above:

The above download from the Blackberry site is not compatible with handhelds running OS 4.2 and above. The Blackberry Messenger application is already installed with the OS and should already be on your device.

However, if the app gets removed for any reason and you need to reinstall BBMessenger on your 4.2 device, follow the instructions below. If you attempt to download and install the OTA version to a 4.2 handheld it will install ok but will not show an icon anywhere on the device. However, it will show up in the list of installed applications in Options >Advanced Options.

Note: Before beginning, if you've already downloaded the OTA version and can't find it on your 4.2 device then first remove that version by going to Options >Advanced Options >Applications and deleting Blackberry Messenger v1.0.94.
    07-19-09 11:38 AM
    DId you check to see of BBM 5.0 was compatible with 4.3?
    Someone sent me the OTA download link and it didn't say anything about being compatible with 4.3, but I soon found out it isn't.

Amber, I think the you can install BBM via OTA if you have a link on 4.3. I know that with 4.5 you have to use Desktop Manager to re-add it if deleted or if you don't have it...
    Thats the problem I cannot find the OTA link for 4.3 anywhere. &trust me I love my BBM and I have been looking EVERYWHERE!

This is from John Clark, the legendary BlackBerry guru...

Handheld OS 4.2 and above:

The above download from the Blackberry site is not compatible with handhelds running OS 4.2 and above. The Blackberry Messenger application is already installed with the OS and should already be on your device.

However, if the app gets removed for any reason and you need to reinstall BBMessenger on your 4.2 device, follow the instructions below. If you attempt to download and install the OTA version to a 4.2 handheld it will install ok but will not show an icon anywhere on the device. However, it will show up in the list of installed applications in Options >Advanced Options.

Note: Before beginning, if you've already downloaded the OTA version and can't find it on your 4.2 device then first remove that version by going to Options >Advanced Options >Applications and deleting Blackberry Messenger v1.0.94.
    That's not really helping me much. I've tried to doing it for the 4.2 device, but it says it is not supported on my phone. Man this sucks. **** 5.0 and old school OS.
    07-19-09 12:29 PM
    You just need to upgrade, I say if you can't get to a PC that isn't a Mac, go to Verizon and they should be able to backup and update you to 4.5 Then you will have BBM again, 4.5 is a big step up from 4.3 also you will like it alot better...
    07-19-09 12:33 PM
    Yea well verizon doesn't like doing that for there damn customers because they don't want to be held reliable if you lose anything!! At this point I don't care if I lose anything. BBM is way more important than any pointless app I have on my phone!

Looks like I am going to need to make a trip to VZW!
    07-19-09 12:37 PM
    Let us know how it goes buddy, I know you're frustrated, you will get it back, I have no doubt. On the other hand I heard there is a program that allows Mac users to be able to update their BlackBerry's. I read it on here somewhere...
    07-19-09 12:41 PM
    Yea there is pocketmac...which only syncs your contacts and crap like that.
    There is bootcamp and parallels, but that windows based crap and I am trying to stay away from that.
    07-19-09 12:43 PM
    Please tell me how you solved this problem, as I am facing the same issue. I don NOT have a PC that I can use right now.

I had 4.3, tried to upgrade to 4.5 with the OTA link from "pastor hudson" that people have been posting. Then once that was downloaded, my BBM ICON DISAPPARED. I thought, since it was still in my Apps, I could upgrade to 5.0. Still no icon. I did hard resets 3 times while trying.

HELP ME. I just want my BBM back
    03-03-10 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD