I have h+ with the bb dots. When I turn wifi on, the dots stay beside h+ and not down with the wifi symbol. It also says I'm not connected to BIS but my bbm works fine. I resent service books and nothing works.
    MY BBM DOESNT WORK OVER WIFI when network is turned off but works when network is restored. And yes I have a bbm plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-11 09:39 PM
    You need to be connected to the network in order for BBM to work.

Even if wifi is on, BBM is actually going through your network to BIS.

To my knowledge, App World is the only thing that can utilize a wifi connection (faster downloads), but even then, I believe it still needs to be connected to the network to verify BIS/BID.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-11 11:04 PM
    You cannot use BBM on wifi... It has to go through the BIS because BBM code is written in a way that it will work with the RIM servers on their network. If you want to know why? Well, this is a security issue. RIM believes that wifi is less secure and yes, RIM is right.

There are also some apps that will only work on BIS and not on wifi. This is all depend on how the code for the app is written.
    JR A likes this.
    11-03-11 11:08 PM
    BBM works fine over wifi if your BB connection is going through wifi, I use mine like this every day and some days I am in a basement with no coverage where I just shut the radio off. We have quite a few people at my work that use their BBs like this so I don't think I have any special connection.

On the other hand App World won't even open up without a cellular signal, says there's no active data connection and closes up.

Remember, those 4 BB dots indicate you have a secured tunnel back into RIM's servers. All traffic that goes over that BIS connection is encrypted and run through a tunnel, not just some of it.

If you want to check and see what's going on with the connection over wifi go into your wifi settings and hit the menu button, go to troubleshooting, and wifi diagnostics. You might want to go into options there and set the display mode to advanced. Anyway, scroll down to the "Blackberry Infrastructure" portion and you can see the status of the BIS connection. The "Enterprise" section is your connection to BES if you have it.

Also, just verified this at home as well, I shut my radio off and waited till it said "Off". Then I sent my wife a BBM and her BB lit right up, she responded with no problem and my phone was as responsive as it normally is. This was all done with my cellular radio off, just remember that it will NOT work unless you have the 4 dot BB icon next to your wifi signal strength.
    11-03-11 11:45 PM
    BBM works fine over wifi if your BB connection is going through wifi, I use mine like this every day and some days I am in a basement with no coverage where I just shut the radio off. We have quite a few people at my work that use their BBs like this so I don't think I have any special connection.

On the other hand App World won't even open up without a cellular signal, says there's no active data connection and closes up.

Remember, those 4 BB dots indicate you have a secured tunnel back into RIM's servers. All traffic that goes over that BIS connection is encrypted and run through a tunnel, not just some of it.

If you want to check and see what's going on with the connection over wifi go into your wifi settings and hit the menu button, go to troubleshooting, and wifi diagnostics. You might want to go into options there and set the display mode to advanced. Anyway, scroll down to the "Blackberry Infrastructure" portion and you can see the status of the BIS connection. The "Enterprise" section is your connection to BES if you have it.

Also, just verified this at home as well, I shut my radio off and waited till it said "Off". Then I sent my wife a BBM and her BB lit right up, she responded with no problem and my phone was as responsive as it normally is. This was all done with my cellular radio off, just remember that it will NOT work unless you have the 4 dot BB icon next to your wifi signal strength.

Are you sure you're not just utilizing TMo's UMA or WiFi calling service? Because in that case, you're still connecting to the network via wifi. In the case of the OP (and others whose carriers don't support UMA or wifi calling), when he's connecting to wifi the wifi isn't connecting back to his carrier's network...
    11-04-11 12:07 AM
    You CAN use bbm over wifi only as long as you have a valid plan and your sim is still in the phone... I used it all the time... I even used it internationally radio off and wifi on. I use it at my university too, there is a class where I can't get a signal aka (x) for signal and it works fine over wifi... When still don't have uma for tmo 9900's so that isn't a possibility unless he is a tester...
    mssca likes this.
    11-04-11 12:55 AM
    I DO have a valid bbm plan through Rogers but it says I am not connected to BIS in service status menu. I DO a lot of bbms using H+ or EDGE but I seem to not get service in my school and basement so I heard u can use bbm over if u have a Bbm enabled plan. This is not the case for me. any help would be appreciated. I don't want to call CS because there is always 2hour wait time or more

11-04-11 06:01 AM
    Maybe you have a "light" BIS plan from your provider? I had that problem one. I had to upgrade my BIS plan from my carrier to get BIS services working over WiFi (including BBM).
    11-04-11 06:13 AM
    I'm with Rogers, and I can use both BBM and e-mail just over wifi, with the mobile network off. My buddy, who is with Bell, can not. Its either carrier specific or plan specific.

11-04-11 07:01 AM
    I'm with Rogers, and I can use both BBM and e-mail just over wifi, with the mobile network off. My buddy, who is with Bell, can not. Its either carrier specific or plan specific.

How interesting... Honestly I've never tried, I always just have my network active. Anyway, I assume that when the BB symbol is down next to the WiFi status meter on my BB homescreen, that all of my BIS communication is sent using WiFi. Even when checking your network status it will show whether you are connected to the BIS via the carrier network, or via WiFi. Now, I could be wrong, but it would make sense that if it says you're connected to the BIS via WiFi, that all data transmission would be sent that way. If it wasn't the case, why even say it's connected via WiFi.

Have you tried re-hosting your routing table? I'm wondering if it's never properly been registered using a WiFi network. Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Table>Menu>Register Now. Give that a shot... Certainly can't hurt, but make sure you're connected via WiFi before you do it. You should get a registration confirmation message in your Messages application.
    11-04-11 07:50 AM
    Registered so many times and still not connected to BIS but my bbm still works when not connected.. I pay $30 for my bbm plan and I cannot use it over wifi? Everyone else can...

11-04-11 09:17 AM
    Is this a huge issue though? Are you usually in areas where your signal is weak and require BIS over WiFi? Have you contacted Rogers about this?
    11-04-11 10:12 AM
    Also, have you tried different wifi access points? There's a possibility that a setting on the router / firewall could be restricting the type of tunneling traffic that goes over it.
    11-04-11 11:54 AM
    You CAN use bbm over wifi only as long as you have a valid plan and your sim is still in the phone... I used it all the time... I even used it internationally radio off and wifi on. I use it at my university too, there is a class where I can't get a signal aka (x) for signal and it works fine over wifi... When still don't have uma for tmo 9900's so that isn't a possibility unless he is a tester...
    This also depend on how your service provider set up your BIS. For example, they can block you from using the wifi based BBM and some companies have blocked it due to what they call security issues. Most company issue phones even without the BES restrictions will not be able to use BBM on wifi. But it is nice to know that you can use it if the SIM is there. I didn't know that before!!!
    11-04-11 01:17 PM

It is service provider (carrier) specific.... Telus won't let me do that either because they use the exact same BIS network for BOTH of their business and personal users and they probably don't want any security issues coming out of wifi. Rogers may have separate data at the packet switching level between the personal and company user.
    11-04-11 01:21 PM
    My bbm works over wifi with no issue. Idk what ur talking about.

11-04-11 03:44 PM
    I'm with Koodo (Blackberry Basic Add on:Unlimited BlackBerry Messenger, Unlimited Text Messaging, Call Display and Voicemail) and cannot use BBM via WIFI.

All the rest of the web stuff (Google, Youtube, weather, ect...) works fine with WIFI only.
    12-21-11 06:41 PM
    Hi all. My Bold 9900 BMM or emails wont work over WiFi... But i can use Facebook adn Twitter without a problem and those apps are BIS related too. So is weird what is happening to my BB. The Curve 9300 of my wifi is on the same carrier than me... Iusacell Mexico and she can use BBM and emails over WiFi
    08-04-12 05:11 PM
    hey you say u get a connection through wifi can you please post for me a step procces on how t getg bbm working please can you email to me on jodi.fungula@gmail.com
    06-08-13 04:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD