03-26-11 10:08 AM
140 ... 3456
tools
    My GF has a Vibrant. The GPS not working and the lag are the 2 biggest complaints she has. It freezes on her at times as well which requires a battery pull. Customer support is a no show. We won't buy Samsung again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You really should never need to pull the battery. In case you don't know, you can force the phone to soft reset by holding down the power key when it freezes for 10 seconds. Works every time. But yes, it freezes occasionally...
    03-21-11 06:12 AM
    I really don't think Berries are any less 'satisfactory' than they were 5 years ago, but if you look at what has happened in 5 years (well, just over 4 years ago anyway) with the industry, and then you look again at a blackberry, you can see why satisfaction is so low. Is that a Palm Treo? No one from 2005 would bat an eye at a berry, it's exactly the same. You had Apple come out with their phone, and it really was a quantum leap ahead. Then Google and a bunch of other companies came out with some very similar phones (though that battery life and clunky OS does not appeal to me) and RIM just sits on their hands. The phones aren't any worse, but they are no better either. They should reflect the progress that has occurred in the rest of the industry.
    This here is really nothing more than in your opinion and maybe some others, but I am pretty sure phones like the 9700/9780 and T1 have been somewhat different...better all around spec's...maybe not drastic, but they are better.

Also the iPhone got drastically different as it lacked a ton of stuff that BB's were all ready doing and doing it well. **** iPhone still can't multi-task for crap...

As for Samsung goes, I have a few of their products and never had a problem with getting something replaced if something went bad on it. Love my Samsung TV's....and had one go bad and was returned and replaced, no issue what so ever.

I will say seems their phones are a big headache though. Stepdaughter has been through a couple of them and didn't have problem getting replaced as I had no insurance on ot as was dumbphone, so went and got another as it was cheap....doubt I will do that again.

TV's have been solid minus the one having missing pixels....after 2 years, still replaced it...

03-22-11 03:55 PM
    RIM will bounce back. Look how Motorola has gotten back into the good graces of consumers. After the Razr faze, they fell off. When I use to work at walmart, people would hardly buy any motorola phones. They had nothing but bad experiences with their phones.

But like the article says, their success as well as HTC is due mostly in part to Google.

Apple is Apple. Everybody seems to love anything that has Apple's logo on it lol.

Facebook on android sucks big time. I don't tweet so I don't know how Twitter works on android.
    hmm, facebook for android is pretty great, dunno how many years ago you used it, but i have facebook for android and facebook for ios, neither has functionality over the other, they're nearly identical... lets not talk about how unusable facebook for blackberry is.
    03-22-11 06:30 PM
    New FB 2.0 is good
    03-22-11 06:37 PM
    Even 1.9 was good...

Prior to the push api switch I would say it was much worse, but since then it's been fine. That said I've used the android FB app (within the last 5 minutes) and previously quite a bit. I don't like it as much as FB2....
    03-22-11 06:44 PM
    hmm, facebook for android is pretty great, dunno how many years ago you used it, but i have facebook for android and facebook for ios, neither has functionality over the other, they're nearly identical... lets not talk about how unusable facebook for blackberry is.
    How many years ago????????? Right right gotcha

Anyway, Facebook on ios is better than the android version. 2 of my co-workers have iphones. When someone posts something on their wall my 2 co-workers have already seen it.

Me and another co-worker who has an adroid (Droid X) see it all late.

We feel like the people in the AT&T commercial where the guy has done seen the funny message, laughed at it, and has put his phone away.

So I deleted the app and just go to the site through the browser.
    03-22-11 09:52 PM
    That's your opinion as well.

The 9700/9780 didn't really bring much new to the table. Aside from the slight hardware differences between Tour/Bold and Curve, they're pretty much the same template. The only thing different is the OS version, and the later OS versions are largely the same as the earlier ones... It's no secret that RIM has been moving slow as **** with BBOS.

The iPhone was completely different than the BB, and the fact that it was or is missing some stuff simply doesn't matter. People who have specific requirements will buy what meets those requirements. Buying a BB over an iPhone simply because the iPhone is missing features that you probably will never use is ... illogical - IMO...

Multi-Tasking is a bit overrated, at least on mobile phones. Yes, it's good in some instances, but you can't really multi-task efficiently on a device with such a small screen which only allows one app to take over the entire screen at one time... You can cludge it along (I do on Android), but it's clunky and it pretty much always has been. Even on WebOS with it's fantastic multi-tasking, it simply doesn't and never will work as well as a PC due to the size of the device and the constraints that size imposes.

Samsung has issues with servicing all of their stuff. If you go through the place where you bought it it's easier. If you try to go through Samsung, tough luck. I've never gone through T-Mobile to repair an HTC phone, for example. I just call HTC and they give me a number to put on my label and send the phone in. With Samsung, you're at the mercy of T-Mobile and likely going to be paying Asurion $130 instead of just cashing in on your Warranty and paying nothing more than shipping fees.

I can only imaging how many people pay up tons of cash to Asurion (or whoever their carrier uses) when they could just use the Manufacturer warranty to get a phone repaired or even replaced by HTC, etc. for free or a fraction of the cost.

Samsung's terrible support doesn't leave much room.

And if you know how to use the internet, you can clearly see that Samsung has serious CS issues with pretty much everything they sell.
    03-23-11 02:50 AM
    I have an BlackBerry, Android, iPhone, WebOS and a WP7 and the one constant is BlackBerry. I always have one. Why? Because it's the most reliable.

Call Quality, Battery Life and Push services are top notch.

I think some of these polls are a bit biased because of all the "fun factor" that phones may bring... leads to better results for those phone manufacturers.

I like all for different reasons and honestly, I could care less about ratings as long as the phones work for me and do what I need them to do.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-23-11 04:27 AM
    You mean you don't check JD power before buying smartphones? Blasphemy...
    03-23-11 01:43 PM
    Its like that old commercial: "my brokers EF Hutton..."

03-23-11 01:55 PM
    How many years ago????????? Right right gotcha

Anyway, Facebook on ios is better than the android version. 2 of my co-workers have iphones. When someone posts something on their wall my 2 co-workers have already seen it.

Me and another co-worker who has an adroid (Droid X) see it all late.

We feel like the people in the AT&T commercial where the guy has done seen the funny message, laughed at it, and has put his phone away.

So I deleted the app and just go to the site through the browser.
    The only thing I don't get immediately on my FB app is notification pop ups (which work on my iPod Touch on 4.3 so it's an Android thing), but with the Samsung Facebook widget and Launcher Pro FB I see my posts very accurately. My actual Android FB app as well. Don't know why yours seems to run at a delay...
    03-23-11 05:00 PM
    The only thing I don't get immediately on my FB app is notification pop ups (which work on my iPod Touch on 4.3 so it's an Android thing), but with the Samsung Facebook widget and Launcher Pro FB I see my posts very accurately. My actual Android FB app as well. Don't know why yours seems to run at a delay...
    Well it does run at a delay that's why I don't use the app. It just like you being dissatisfied with RIM. Of course there are people who love or is satisfied with RIM.

But the only person that you worry about being satisfied is yourself.

Well it's the same way with me and the FB app. Yea you and some other people may love or are satisfied with the app's performance.

I'm not.
    03-23-11 06:35 PM
    That's your opinion as well.

The 9700/9780 didn't really bring much new to the table. Aside from the slight hardware differences between Tour/Bold and Curve, they're pretty much the same template. The only thing different is the OS version, and the later OS versions are largely the same as the earlier ones... It's no secret that RIM has been moving slow as **** with BBOS.

The iPhone was completely different than the BB, and the fact that it was or is missing some stuff simply doesn't matter. People who have specific requirements will buy what meets those requirements. Buying a BB over an iPhone simply because the iPhone is missing features that you probably will never use is ... illogical - IMO...

Multi-Tasking is a bit overrated, at least on mobile phones. Yes, it's good in some instances, but you can't really multi-task efficiently on a device with such a small screen which only allows one app to take over the entire screen at one time... You can cludge it along (I do on Android), but it's clunky and it pretty much always has been. Even on WebOS with it's fantastic multi-tasking, it simply doesn't and never will work as well as a PC due to the size of the device and the constraints that size imposes.

Samsung has issues with servicing all of their stuff. If you go through the place where you bought it it's easier. If you try to go through Samsung, tough luck. I've never gone through T-Mobile to repair an HTC phone, for example. I just call HTC and they give me a number to put on my label and send the phone in. With Samsung, you're at the mercy of T-Mobile and likely going to be paying Asurion $130 instead of just cashing in on your Warranty and paying nothing more than shipping fees.

I can only imaging how many people pay up tons of cash to Asurion (or whoever their carrier uses) when they could just use the Manufacturer warranty to get a phone repaired or even replaced by HTC, etc. for free or a fraction of the cost.

Samsung's terrible support doesn't leave much room.

And if you know how to use the internet, you can clearly see that Samsung has serious CS issues with pretty much everything they sell.
    You know, they have quote buttons?

Anyway, if it wasn't for BB's having a lot of stuff out the box like cut and past, multi-tasking, this and that, the iPhone wouldn't be what it is today, period...don't care what you tell me, but BB did it first, Apple marketed it better...simple as that.

And yes, I bought majority of my TV's 3rd party, but I have had to send one uint back with Samsung and ordeal was flawless from start to finish. I consider myself lucky.

And I can multi-task out the whazoo on a BB...maybe not computer like, but a long press of BB key, bam next app or whatever. BB browser is tabbed now and have used Opera before and was flawless...

I can easily change from one thing to another. I don't know how that is "overrated!" Might be the funniest comment I have read in some time. So thanks for the chuckle...

I agree about TMobile going the route of Asurion or they will give you a completely different phone. Been that route before. Finally something I can agree with.

Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    03-23-11 07:10 PM
    Anyway, if it wasn't for BB's having a lot of stuff out the box like cut and past, multi-tasking, this and that, the iPhone wouldn't be what it is today, period...don't care what you tell me, but BB did it first, Apple marketed it better...simple as that.
    Exactly. Apple is a marketing machine. They could even market a turd and sell 1'000'000 in the first month!

And yes, I bought majority of my TV's 3rd party, but I have had to send one uint back with Samsung and ordeal was flawless from start to finish. I consider myself lucky.
    I couldn't use my Samsung phone, I just couldn't get used to it, but that's a different matter...

And I can multi-task out the whazoo on a BB...maybe not computer like, but a long press of BB key, bam next app or whatever. BB browser is tabbed now and have used Opera before and was flawless...
    Exactly, and it's fast, swish, and fluid.

I can easily change from one thing to another. I don't know how that is "overrated!" Might be the funniest comment I have read in some time. So thanks for the chuckle...
    Yeah, I'm constantly swapping out of applications leaving them running so I can return to them quicker. Sorry, but iPhone's "multi-pausing" (for lack of a better term) isn't gonna cut the mustard for me. Don't care what anyone says, would rather hang myself with a thorny rope than use that iPOS!

I agree about TMobile going the route of Asurion or they will give you a completely different phone. Been that route before. Finally something I can agree with.
    Not been in that situation - cannot comment.
    03-23-11 07:34 PM
    This is one of the biggest farces and lies being propagated only on CB (because nobody outside believes it for a second). You really think Apple wouldn't have introduced cut and paste and multitasking if it wasn't for BB? Last time I checked, those two features were in existence for decades on computers. Apple was going in a completely different direction than RIM with smartphones (if you can call an advanced pager a smartphone). Not to mention that their cut and paste implementation is far different than in a BB, but don't let two completely different implementations of a decades-old feature stop you from fantasizing about RIM's groundbreaking innovations.
    03-23-11 10:52 PM
    This is one of the biggest farces and lies being propagated only on CB (because nobody outside believes it for a second). You really think Apple wouldn't have introduced cut and paste and multitasking if it wasn't for BB? Last time I checked, those two features were in existence for decades on computers. Apple was going in a completely different direction than RIM with smartphones (if you can call an advanced pager a smartphone). Not to mention that their cut and paste implementation is far different than in a BB, but don't let two completely different implementations of a decades-old feature stop you from fantasizing about RIM's groundbreaking innovations.
    So to extend your thought, there really isn't any groundbreaking innovations in technology since the IBM 360/30 days, because all technological development was just business as usual.

Well I agree with one thing you alluded to but didn't really say, if RIM didn't introduce any innovtations, then no phone manufacturer really did either.
    03-24-11 05:34 AM
    Apple didn't really take anything from blackberry when they made the iphone, that exact formfactor was made by HTC
    At the end of the day everything is build on earlier inovations.

03-24-11 06:06 AM
    Htc m700: http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2010/12/23/orange-spv-m700-review/

3G/built in gps/video calling I don't think USA ever got this but this was around a year before the first iphone came out.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 03-24-11 at 06:20 AM.
    03-24-11 06:15 AM
    So to extend your thought, there really isn't any groundbreaking innovations in technology since the IBM 360/30 days, because all technological development was just business as usual.

Well I agree with one thing you alluded to but didn't really say, if RIM didn't introduce any innovtations, then no phone manufacturer really did either.
    I should have mentioned that if anybody was going to mention RIM's innovations, don't pick the most trivial ones and claim it to be their own and that the industry followed after.

RIM's innovations: wireless and push email, portable business-class communications device that is secure, etc.

Not innovations: cut and paste, multitasking.
    03-24-11 11:16 AM
    I should have mentioned that if anybody was going to mention RIM's innovations, don't pick the most trivial ones and claim it to be their own and that the industry followed after.

RIM's innovations: wireless and push email, portable business-class communications device that is secure, etc.

I whole heartedly agree.

03-24-11 01:46 PM

their browser sure isn't as secure as Androids.
    03-24-11 01:50 PM
    their browser sure isn't as secure as Androids.
    But the phones are more secure. And you are only referring to the webkit.

No need to exaggerate to make android look better. It won't help.

Last edited by i7guy; 03-24-11 at 02:07 PM.
    03-24-11 01:56 PM
    But the phones are more secure. And you are only referring to the webkit.

No need to exaggerate to make android look better.

umm it's not the webkit. android is based on webkit and it wasn't cracked. rimm's browser was cracked. ergo android has a more secure browser.

BlackBerry 6 Browser Hacked, RIM says Turn off Javascript
    03-24-11 01:59 PM
    umm it's not the webkit. android is based on webkit and it wasn't cracked. rimm's browser was cracked. ergo android has a more secure browser.

BlackBerry 6 Browser Hacked, RIM says Turn off Javascript
    It wasn't cracked cuz nobody had a go at it, same as Chrome. That doesn't make them safer.

03-24-11 02:00 PM
    It wasn't cracked cuz nobody had a go at it, same as Crome. That doesn't make them safer.

Google Chrome and Android OS Come Strong at Pwn2Own Hacking Contest | Social Media and Mobile News

android is more secure than rim? who woulda thunk it.
    03-24-11 02:03 PM
140 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD